34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

e6IAQye

girlfriend just texted me this picture from my office at home.

Bah. Over 2 hours left.

Dang it, I had the option to order it from newegg when it was in stock, but I talked myself out of it......and now I really, really want it :mad:

Dooohhh I hate when I do that :eek:

lol @ advanced viewing pleasure

I finally have the thing up and running on my desk at the moment. it is a TRIP. I know linus says the display has a matte finish but compared to my 3011 and 2007's this thing is straight gloss to my eyes.

What do you guys want to see?

I finally have the thing up and running on my desk at the moment. it is a TRIP. I know linus says the display has a matte finish but compared to my 3011 and 2007's this thing is straight gloss to my eyes.

Everything. Comparisons to another display nearby? ,Do you thinks its good looking? Any games you've tried out with it? What are the materials:D like?

If the AG coating inst thick, that's even better IMHO as I love gloss anyway.

God..tomorrow cannot come fast enough for me. It's like Christmas eve for this 43 year old here.

Going to test it out in League right now and post up some comparison pictures with the 3011.. alot of people seem to be running that anyway.

No light bleed that i can see but the colors are AWFUL out of the box. Keep that in mind. Game mode looks damn near purple. I settled for custom and a whole lot of fiddling. I'll update within an hour.

side by side browsers.. maybe an app like photoshop fullscreen. A tiled game (like Path of exile, diablo, etc). An uberwidescreen hot chick mebbe, or misc ultrawide fantasy~sci-fi art/wallpaper. A full screen and windowed mode (1:1) playback of a 16:9 1080p movie. A bunch of apps all tiled on screen in different windows sizes that you might otherwise be forced to minimize some of, etc.

Yeah linus was complaining because he sits with a window blasting his monitor from behind (where even with AG it will suffer bad light pollution) rather than situating his desk with his back to a corner / back of monitor(s) facing the direct light source. His complaint is AG hater's gain.

Last edited:
And frame rate per second too in the games. Curious what it needs as far as gpu power.

side by side browsers.. maybe an app like photoshop fullscreen. A tiled game (like Path of exile, diablo, etc). An uberwidescreen hot chick mebbe, or misc ultrawide fantasy~sci-fi art/wallpaper. A full screen and windowed mode (1:1) playback of a 16:9 1080p movie. A bunch of apps all tiled on screen in different windows sizes that you might otherwise be forced to minimize some of, etc.

Yeah linus was complaining because he sits with a window blasting his monitor from behind (where even with AG it will suffer bad light pollution) rather than situating his desk with his back to a corner / back of monitor(s) facing the direct light source. His complaint is AG hater's gain.

I dont know if i have shit for that game selection. Give me a sec to come up with something. I just played League and had a consistent 180FPS with everything on ultra (league can run on a modern cell phone though)

Let me try to find something more demanding.

Then i'll snap a picture of a 1080p movie in VLC. Two browsers side by side is THE BOMB.
I dont think i have any hot chick wallpapers or resources to get them at. (although i'll try and find some wallpapers

GIVE ME 30 MINUTES GENTS

So after cranking everything in the new tomb raider to ultra, i am getting about 40FPS on a single GTX 680 with a 3570k. Both at absolute stock speeds.

I Undid TRESSFX because the hair in this game brings EVERY GPU to its knees. Im working on the other stuff right now. Compared to the 3011 i now have sitting beside it.. Its amazingly clear.. but that could be just the AG coating on the 3011.

Last edited:
dYoS2As.jpg

A random Hot Fuzz 1080p clip i have playing in VLC is bloody BEAUTIFUL when scaled to the rez of the 34UM95. Its drop dead wonderful... I've never really viewed a movie on a 21:9 ratio display before.

DAMN.

cool. I don't like cutting out material on movies though ("clipping").

Path of Exile is free, incl. free on steam too btw, if you are interested. Seeing League would be cool too though.

gO2IXM1.jpg

On this one i've got hardforum, utorrent, a 1080p video in VLC, and spotify along the bottom.

On this one i've got hardforum, utorrent, a 1080p video in VLC, and spotify along the bottom.

Yeah that and fullscreen apps like photoshop, maya/3d/video editing apps(multiple viewports, floating toolboxes, a timeline on the bottom), etc would be more of the duty this monitor would pull for me. Thanks.

cool. I don't like cutting out material on movies though ("clipping").

Path of Exile is free, incl. free on steam too btw, if you are interested. Seeing League would be cool too though.
How are you cutting out material when movies are filmed in 12:9? Ah, nm didn't read his post carefully.

How are you cutting out material when movies are filmed in 12:9? Ah, nm didn't read his post carefully.

A 16:9 movie would be like the 27" in the middle of this graphic I made. The black bars would be the pink on the ends that show the extra screen real estate gained at 21:9. I'm not sure how this would resolve vs different film aspects like anamorphic, or those that have top/bottom bars on 16:9 screens.

4k_21x9_27in_30in_same-ppi.jpg

7jFuXZH.jpg

Path of Exile went straight to 2560x1080 by default, but i bumped it up to native with everything on high and AA @ 16x. Constantly 60FPS no matter what i did...

I dont think this is a very demanding game tbh. But this is just the starting zone.

It gets fairly demanding with a ton of creatures and fx going off in later zones and dungeons with more abilities/spells firing, but it is a tiled game which is what I was interested in since they don't really use a moving traditional 1st/3rd view with constant movement keying and mouse-look pathing which would be more blurry on a 60hz. Tiled games also benefit a lot from the extra real estate.

Thanks again for showing it.

k4hz0d6.jpg

White vs white with the 3011 was shocking... to say the least. I did not expect that much of a difference.

The UM95 certainly feels much more vivid because of the lack of AG, but it looks insanely good side by side vs the dell

I feel like i should also mention that while playing league of legends, it was much much faster than the 3011 as far as input lag went. I know the 3011 probably has some ungodly high numbers there, but that's what i've been gaming on for years now.

The UM95 puts it to shame in terms of outright speed and lack of blurriness when jumping around alot in league of legends.

I'm sure the twitch shooter and absolutely no motion blur crowd isn't a fan of this monitor either way, though.

sDuvYSp.jpg

Side by side browsing is like a throwback to old school 4:3 monitors. It really is perfect in that regard. :]

I feel like i should also mention that while playing league of legends, it was much much faster than the 3011 as far as input lag went. I know the 3011 probably has some ungodly high numbers there, but that's what i've been gaming on for years now.

The UM95 puts it to shame in terms of outright speed and lack of blurriness when jumping around alot in league of legends.

I'm sure the twitch shooter and absolutely no motion blur crowd isn't a fan of this monitor either way, though.

I had a U3011, and now I really want to try out this new LG panel for gaming. :D

My biggest complaint is that I'm a huge Assassin's Creed fan...and I know AC doesn't run natively on 21:9. I have a feeling the upcoming Watch Dog's game will be very similar to AC...knowing how Ubisoft is to PC gamers :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3ut4hj85Hg

Fast forward to 7:20 to see what I'm talking about regarding 21:9 and certain games

I asked LG but they were unable to give me a release date for Romania so I ordered one yesterday from Germany, should arrive by Monday here. Didnt see this realesed anywhere else in EU except Germany.
Kinda hard to spend 1000 Euros on a monitor but seeing that my TV costs 2000 and I rarely watch anything but 10 mins of news on it and once a week 90 mins of soccer I say its worth the cost.
Right now I have a 670 GTX :). I cant wait to see it crawling with this monitor. I'll probably trade it for a 780 next week.

I had a U3011, and now I really want to try out this new LG panel for gaming. :D

My biggest complaint is that I'm a huge Assassin's Creed fan...and I know AC doesn't run natively on 21:9. I have a feeling the upcoming Watch Dog's game will be very similar to AC...knowing how Ubisoft is to PC gamers :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3ut4hj85Hg

Fast forward to 7:20 to see what I'm talking about regarding 21:9 and certain games

Yeah, from what it sounds like Ubisoft hasn't jumped into the 21:9 scene.

Disappointing for sure, but if you're really into something like this monitor, it's worth it.

I'm sure the other guys on here will post a video or something of gaming at 21:9 on this monitor tomorrow when they get theirs in.

It really is immersive as hell. I haven't felt anything like it since the first time i got a 30 inch panel.

EDIT: I'll also be up for another hour or so if anyone wants to see a particular program or game or something to do with the display. I know my camera sucks (note 2) But i'll try and do my best for ya. :]

Last edited:
If you can do a BF4 and one Dota 2 that'd be great! :) Perhaps Counterstrike...
I would love to see FSX or Prepar3D on it if you have em too!

If you can do a BF4 and one Dota 2 that'd be great! :) Perhaps Counterstrike...
I would love to see FSX or Prepar3D on it if you have em too!

I don't have any of those programs >_>

im so sorry man.

I know you spoke about the matte finish already but if you could elaborate a little more please. I'm used to using an Apple monitor so it's very glossy. I've always hated the matte look. How would you rate this screen in comparison? Somewhere in the middle or leaning to either side?
thanks.

i have 3 questions because i will use this monitor for gaming

1. how is the interpolation @ 2560x1080? can you test this in a game plz
2. how is the input lag, motion blur, ghosting? anything really noticeable?
3. did you see any backlight bleeding?

i have 3 questions because i will use this monitor for gaming

1. how is the interpolation @ 2560x1080? can you test this in a game plz
2. how is the input lag, motion blur, ghosting? anything really noticeable?
3. did you see any backlight bleeding?

from what I can see on path of exile and league (which both defaulted to 2560x1080) is that it looks pretty good. I'm not seeing any weird scaling issues and both resolutions performed well. Tomb raider defaulted to a 16x9 format but went into 3440x1440 without issue and looked amazing. (glad i have another 680 scheduled to be delivered tomorrow though)

EDIT: Input lag vs my 3011 is insanely better for league and general desktop use. There's a setting in the settings for the monitor to adjust input lag (who the hell puts it at high? =p) and I really cant see any lag from my end at all.. but i haven't used a TN panel in YEARS so those more sensitive to input lag will want to give their feedback before you take my word for it.

RE:EDIT- THERE IS DEFINITE BACKLIGHT BLEED.

I know you spoke about the matte finish already but if you could elaborate a little more please. I'm used to using an Apple monitor so it's very glossy. I've always hated the matte look. How would you rate this screen in comparison? Somewhere in the middle or leaning to either side?
thanks.

I come from a 3011.. so I am the definition of the wrong person to ask about the slight nuances of the AG. It's definitely there, but it takes some real discerning to my eyes. It's strikingly similar to my GFs qnix in the AG department.

Fwiw, I've been trying to overclock it and have not had any luck using CRU and nvidia.

Last edited:
dWsr6qn.jpg

^ So as you can see here, there is some definite backlight bleed. You have to go full on black fullscreen to notice it, but GODDAMN that is really bad.

Might exchange this at Frys tomorrow. What in the hell LG.

thx for the reply m8
huh, this is really bad backlight bleed at bottom left. the rest of the screen is ok.

thx for the reply m8
huh, this is really bad backlight bleed at bottom left. the rest of the screen is ok.

yeah. Honestly i may keep it. Im not a dark background type.. And i cant even notice it on Hardforum that i have open right now.. its unique to the black screen dead pixel test.

Disappointed though. I've never had these problems with LG's before.

in those corners, that's not BL bleed, that's IPS glow. there's some slight bleed in the bottom middle and left, but completely acceptable i think

oh ok that sounds good :) i never had an ips panel. i always had tn. i wonder how the colors will look

oh ok that sounds good :) i never had an ips panel. i always had tn. i wonder how the colors will look

They look amazing. I've been playing league for like.. 4 hours now. Its awesome how much they pop.

Loving it!

White vs white with the 3011 was shocking... to say the least. I did not expect that much of a difference.

The UM95 certainly feels much more vivid because of the lack of AG, but it looks insanely good side by side vs the dell

That's exactly what I wanted to see. The LG monitor has much better whites and better sRGB colors.

Back