34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Here's a good question. If there indeed will be a 21:9 34" 1080p and 1440p, which would you go for assuming price difference was around $500?

If you are gaming at all, this will save the need to upgrade to a beefier GPU for acceptable frame rates.

I care more about the 21:9 aspect ratio than the huge resolution as I'm not doing design work.

Yeah, for me atleast, i love the 21:9 aspect ratio but find the 29 inchers out right now to be just a little too small. They are engrossing in game well enough, but i need more height to feel comfortable using it in day to day tasks.

I would definitely pay 500 bucks extra for the 3440x1440 as apposed to the 2560x1080.

I think i would never buy a 34" 21:9 with only 1080p. On the other side I would never buy a 4k with only 28".

Wait is there even a 1080p 34" option available? I thought they were all 1440p?

I've seen rumors of a 1080p 34" 21:9, but nothing concrete. I don't think there is, but I was just conjecturizing.

Does anyone know what would happen if you plugged a 1080p console into the LG UM95? Does it have an internal video scaler?

i think it does. most likely, it would scale the picture, so you would get two vertical black bars on the sides.

btw. how the eff are these not available worldwide yet, when some sellers already ship the from korea is completely beyond me lol.

I've seen rumors of a 1080p 34" 21:9, but nothing concrete. I don't think there is, but I was just conjecturizing.

Rumours? LG list it (the 34UM65) on their official website. More info - http://pcmonitors.info/lg/lg-expands-their-ultrawide-lineup. Don't know about scaling on the higher resolution model but I imagine if you can deal with black borders at the sides it will be fine. 1080p will look stupidly stretched on that thing filling the whole screen.

Rumours? LG list it (the 34UM65) on their official website. More info - http://pcmonitors.info/lg/lg-expands-their-ultrawide-lineup. Don't know about scaling on the higher resolution model but I imagine if you can deal with black borders at the sides it will be fine. 1080p will look stupidly stretched on that thing filling the whole screen.

Thanks for the clarification. I was looking all over for concrete details of what I read about from CES in January. I think I tried everywhere except the source...

So depending on price, I may go for the 1080p model (34UM65) vs the 1440p model (34UM95).

Latest update from Amazon.com.......

"This item will be released on March 31, 2014"

Looks like we're waiting a bit longer :(

I see all the talk about the LG-34UM95. Any word on the Dell version of this (U3415W)? Will it be worth waiting for, or should I just go with the LG branded display. I usually prefer Dell's design over LG. I was hoping for an adjustable height on the dell version.

Thanks

Waiting to see what the Dell looks like as well. Considering replacing my Dell 2007FP portrait eyefinity setup with one of these if they work well.

Anyone think that a 780Ti would be able to run most games maxed out without AA on this monitor? I would wait for Maxwell, but I have a feeling that they won't be out until the fall or next year. Either way the 580 I have now will not be enough, also need to upgrade this aging core i7 920.

Anyone think that a 780Ti would be able to run most games maxed out without AA on this monitor? I would wait for Maxwell, but I have a feeling that they won't be out until the fall or next year. Either way the 580 I have now will not be enough, also need to upgrade this aging core i7 920.

Maxed out will be hard to do IMO. You'll be able to run most things on high though.

This is kind of an usual resolution, couldn't tell you for sure one way or the other. =p

I guess I'd say it depends on the game. BF4 at 4k will barely push 60fps on Ultra with R9 290x in Crossfire, so I'd say probably not. But for older games I think a single 780Ti would be enough.

I imagine that the Dell will be using the same panel, but I could be wrong.

If its anything like past performance, you may have to sift through a few Dells to find one without defect. LG seems to be more selective in which panels get used in their brand monitor. Dells are typically easier to get from their direct store, and they often go on sale.

I guess I'd say it depends on the game. BF4 at 4k will barely push 60fps on Ultra with R9 290x in Crossfire, so I'd say probably not. But for older games I think a single 780Ti would be enough.

Yeah, its tough since basically no one games on this particular resolution. I just prefer to stay away from SLI, although it has improved over the years, with 1 GPU I know I will not have issues. If I went SLI I would want two 780Ti's, that way at least I know that if SLI is not working I can still get good performance, the cost of this is much more then I would want to spend. I also prefer NVIDIA's drivers/software over AMD, not to mention the 290x is usually overpriced because of the coin mining.

Think a pair of overclocked 780Ti Kingpins will run BF4 maxed out on this monitor? I am not sure I could sneak a 3rd GPU by the wife... :D

3440x1440 is 5M pixel
4k is 8m pixel
1600p monitor (2560x1600) is 4m pixel
1080p is 2m pixel
so do your math xD

3440x1440 is 5M pixel
4k is 8m pixel
1600p monitor (2560x1600) is 4m pixel
1080p is 2m pixel
so do your math xD

Pushing all the pixels in 3440X1440, and being able to max out all the graphical settings in a game is one thing - but if it will be at the expense of having less than optimal frames per second, then I am not wanting to purchase that monitor for my high end games.

We will have to wait and see what the reviewers or gamers have to report.

Last edited:
Just pre-orderd one from a site from germany... with shipping it came out for 848 euros (34UM95 model) shipped to saudi arabia.

Once I receive it I will give you a heads up on it.

4x 290x? Sweet! :p

Couldn't talk you into trying out just 2 of those guys in crossfire could I?

Last edited:
I'm always north of 60fps in BF4 running 5760x1080 - that's about 6MP and I'm running two regular 780s and an OC 2600k

I think you will be fine.

I used a 37" Westinghouse for seven years and loved it for gaming and applications (from 2.5ft away).

Same here, and still have it just waiting for this monitor to come out. I never had one problem with the display either. "knock on wood"

I used a 37" Westinghouse for seven years and loved it for gaming and applications (from 2.5ft away).

I am definitely not shittalking that view at all. I've gone from 3x 30 inch dells to using just a 50 inch TV for gaming for a week (because thats what im usually doing) and it was MUCH more immersive and a blast for most gaming. I couldn't play league of legends very well on it, otherwise i probably would have switched to a seiki months ago.

I'll probably pick up one of the UM95's when they drop.. Just because its something completely new and i could see it being a blast for all around gaming.

:]

I went from a 28" 1920x1200 to a LG 39LN5300 1920x1080 tv. Love the extra large screen when gaming. Sits on my desk and I sit about 2.5ft - 3ft back from it. Great for movies and gaming.Text work is not so good though. I keep the 28" for that. I use the 39" just for gaming. I'm curious as well what this new 34" can do.

The 39UM95 will require a LOT more GPU horsepower than a 39UM65. If the price difference is $400 and requires a $600 GPU, going with the UM65 would save me $1k. Trying to decide if that's worth it.

Also, main game I'm playing these days is League of Legends, and the wide screen will be epic for it.

Why is it so expensive? It can't just be from the thunderbolt 2 can it?

This panel isn't produced in the amounts that the 1440p 27" panel has been the past couple years. And actual cost should be a lot less than the jacked up pre-orders we are seeing now.

Back