34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Anyone heard anything recently about the AOC U3477PQU? Supposedly going to be offered at a more competitive price $750-$800. Supposed to be released this month.

It's been available at many shops in Europe for several weeks already, but still no news on a US release.

Feel free to email AOC and tell them to get their shit together: http://us.aoc.com/contact ;)

@ XViper, are you connecting via DisplayPort? If so, make sure you leave it to default DP 1.1 and not DP 1.2, as that has driver issues on non-Firepro AMD cards.

As mentioned many times, DP 1.2 is not necessary unless you're using the very few programs that require it right now, and even then you're likely to be using a professional-grade GPU for those purposes (CAD / 3D Animation work AFAIK). For everyone else, DP 1.1 allows 3440x1440 @ 60hz with no issues.

It's hooked up to DP and I've tried both 1.1 and 1.2. Nothing changes. It's definitely a known bug about this monitor. I'm running three R9 290x's.

I think some people buying this monitor must take this into consideration.

I didn't test if it was happening with hdmi as well though.

Hi guys.

Ive had the UM95-P for some time now, and I am getting really annoyed by the fact that the monitor (or my graphics card - I dont know) is resizing/rearranging my windows and programs after the monitor or computer wakes up for sleep.

I can have everything neatly put up, and then when I return, windows are all resized to small squares and put on top of each other in the to left corner.

Have anyone had this problem or know of it?

It's hooked up to DP and I've tried both 1.1 and 1.2. Nothing changes. It's definitely a known bug about this monitor. I'm running three R9 290x's.

I think some people buying this monitor must take this into consideration.

I didn't test if it was happening with hdmi as well though.

Ok, somehow I fixed it but ended up breaking something else instead.

I was updating the video card drivers and the install hung. I restarted, tried again and it was still hanging. I used DDU and then reinstalled the latest drivers. Sleep now works.

However my bluetooth no longer works. Seems some kind of conflict is happening as pairing doesn't do do anything anymore. Having sleep function vs bluetooth.

Can't we have it all?

That's... weird that bluetooth would be affected at all, but glad to hear it was just a driver issue. Still weird...

I'm currently running 3x 290X as well and have no sleep issues, but will be taking one 290X away soon because of a new purchase taking up one of my PCI-E slots when it arrives. Guess I have more incentive to purchase 295X2 now, or maybe 395X2 once that comes out.

I just returned my 34UM95. I have no idea what happened but one day a display port message popped up saying that I was now operating at a "lower setting" and that's when input lag became an issue. Tried connecting the monitor to both DP's on both video cards with the same results.

anyway, I went back to the 3014 and am enjoying the much richer colors. Out of the box, the 3014 feels like it has more natural tones and a greater range of color whereas the 34UM95 felt more vibrant. Input lag between both monitors are comparable and not an issue for me since I haven't been ruined by the swift or anything similar. though I am down on horizontal real estate, I feel the 3014 covers more of my viewing area due to its height. just my .02.

Hi guys.

Ive had the UM95-P for some time now, and I am getting really annoyed by the fact that the monitor (or my graphics card - I dont know) is resizing/rearranging my windows and programs after the monitor or computer wakes up for sleep.

I can have everything neatly put up, and then when I return, windows are all resized to small squares and put on top of each other in the to left corner.

Have anyone had this problem or know of it?

This just started happening to me... It may coincide with the latest nvidia video driver update.

This just started happening to me... It may coincide with the latest nvidia video driver update.

This appears to be only happening with Nvidia. I currently do not have this issue. I had some sleep issues but it appears to have been solved by updating the drivers. Maybe try the beta drivers to see if it fixes it.

This has been happening to me since I got the monitor in July. Always thought it was a quirk of the monitor and/or displayport, but if it's a driver issue hopefully Nvidia will fix it soon

You might try forcing the use of EDID from a file in the nvidia control panel. Shown is under default Quadro drivers. You may need a modified driver installer to allow "system topology" to appear on Geforce cards.

One thing to note, if you do a EDID force this way, turn off your monitor manually before sleeping/restarting so that it doesn't redetect as a second monitor on the next startup. Also, you'll need a second monitor, so that you can load the EDID file with the LG display turned off.

Display port is nice. But for I absolutely hate it's Plug & Play implementation.

I have owned this display since May and have generally loved it....but I randomly get an issue where a very thin blue line will show up from top to bottom of the screen. Its always in the same exact offset right side of the screen.

It does not happen all the time, sometimes I go through entire 2-3 hour sessions and not see it, and when it pops up it usually only lasts for a couple of minutes and then goes away. I have been "living" with the issue since may because the display has been perfect with no back lit bleed or anything else.

But now that I have my Rog Swift I figure I will finally send the 34UM95 back to the LG mothership for RMA replacement. Does anybody else get this issue? Here is a pic

That thin line is likely a component defect and it'll probably get worse over time (more lines). It usually has to do with something not in its operating temperature. As the monitor temperature changes the component falls out of / gets back into its operating temperature and you see that line appearing / disappearing.

Last edited:
Yup, that's a defect. My first 34UM95 that I bought had that exact line except it was like that all the time. Poor quality control from LG. It's surprising that it's so poor as this is a $1k monitor. You would think LG would spend more QC on this.

Something similar has been reported on a french forum. Apparently, one of the flat cables was being pinched between two pieces of plastic... LG's quality control really needs to level up !

My UM65 and the current flavor of the month.

And it's a great monitor for movies too. There's a Cinema 1 mode that will scale a 1080p 2.35 letterbox video almost perfectly. No moar black letterbox bars ever!

Native 1080 mode

1080 Letterboxed scaled

Two years ago, I laughed at 21:9. Now, not so much. I'm considering a second one.

Yup, that's a defect. My first 34UM95 that I bought had that exact line except it was like that all the time. Poor quality control from LG. It's surprising that it's so poor as this is a $1k monitor. You would think LG would spend more QC on this.

Yea, their CSR was trying to say it was an issue on my end and not a hardware problem.....ummm, how bout no. I have several rigs with AMD & Nvidia gpus and the display was blue line defective on every one.

I am going with a triple Rog Swift setup, so when my replacement 34UM95 comes back from LG I will be putting it up for sale at a great price if you are interested PM me.

Yea, their CSR was trying to say it was an issue on my end and not a hardware problem.....ummm, how bout no. I have several rigs with AMD & Nvidia gpus and the display was blue line defective on every one.

I am going with a triple Rog Swift setup, so when my replacement 34UM95 comes back from LG I will be putting it up for sale at a great price if you are interested PM me.

I've done an identical setup before. I think because of the TN panels, that got to me. I prefer one panel. Although in all honesty, this monitor is buggy. I'm unsure if LG should be tasked to fix it or the video card manufacturers.

I have discovered another bug actually. When my screen sleeps, I have to turn it off the screen and then try to wake the computer with the monitor off and then turn the monitor on. This is the only time it works. If I wake it with the screen on while the screen is in sleep, it wakes but does not display anything on the screen. I plugged in my other monitor and the computer is responding so it's actually a wierd bug with the monitor.

When I'm using it, it's fine but all these quirks are just annoying.

I've done an identical setup before. I think because of the TN panels, that got to me. I prefer one panel. Although in all honesty, this monitor is buggy. I'm unsure if LG should be tasked to fix it or the video card manufacturers.

I have discovered another bug actually. When my screen sleeps, I have to turn it off the screen and then try to wake the computer with the monitor off and then turn the monitor on. This is the only time it works. If I wake it with the screen on while the screen is in sleep, it wakes but does not display anything on the screen. I plugged in my other monitor and the computer is responding so it's actually a wierd bug with the monitor.

When I'm using it, it's fine but all these quirks are just annoying.

right, seems to be a common problem

but ever since 344.11 drivers, I thought that problem was mostly gone

but I've rolled back to 335.xx and it acted the same

and it's never consistent. there are times where I can wake up the computer completely fine and the screen wakes up with it (and for a while now, the monitor has acted fine for me - rarely staying in sleep mode these days)

I've debated going back to surround with the ROG Swifts, but the side monitor distortion just tells me I enjoy this 21:9 for a reason. I have the GPU's to overpower the framerate and live without some of benefits of g-sync, and I hated wasting rendering power on a distorted picture (sides) when it could be used towards more AA on the primary display

right, seems to be a common problem

but ever since 344.11 drivers, I thought that problem was mostly gone

but I've rolled back to 335.xx and it acted the same

and it's never consistent. there are times where I can wake up the computer completely fine and the screen wakes up with it (and for a while now, the monitor has acted fine for me - rarely staying in sleep mode these days)

I've debated going back to surround with the ROG Swifts, but the side monitor distortion just tells me I enjoy this 21:9 for a reason. I have the GPU's to overpower the framerate and live without some of benefits of g-sync, and I hated wasting rendering power on a distorted picture (sides) when it could be used towards more AA on the primary display

I still have yet to experience this problem with the latest NVIDIA drivers and a GTX 780 Ti.

Can someone help me find a mount for this monitor without spending too much (ie over 100 dollars). I spent so much on this monitor I don't want to put too much more. I just want something sturdy that will keep it from moving around too much and at the ideal position.

I'm assuming stands and not articulated mounts....

Allsop Metal Art Jr monitor stand - Pearl Black
Cheap. No wobble. Been using for three years. Holds my 34UM65 just fine. Raises about 4.0 inches. (with the LG at its highest setting) Monitor top edge about 22" from desk.

Alternatively:
5.25 High TV Stand 25" Wide, BLACK
Particle board, little pricey, but rock solid. Used with < 40" TVs in armoire cabinets meant for 4:3 CRT sets. Almost 5 inches of clearance underneath.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This appears to be only happening with Nvidia. I currently do not have this issue. I had some sleep issues but it appears to have been solved by updating the drivers. Maybe try the beta drivers to see if it fixes it.
Nope happens with AMD, too. Radeon HD7850 via Display Port 1.2 cable. After turning the monitor off then back on while leaving system running, I get desktop items (not icons) i.e calender, gadget, drive gadget, and window for DU Meter and, window for ESET, all over the place.

Does not happen if I shut the system down, and THEN turn off the monitor as the system is shutting down. Running the latest drivers too. Hibernation is off. Happens with screen save off or on.

Weird.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Anyone getting the LG Screen Split software to work with multiple monitors? It looks like it installs correctly but all the choices are greyed out. i have the LG connected via display port, a 24inch Dell connected via HDMI and another 24 inch dell connected via dvi.

Anyone using LG Screen Split software successfully with the 34um95 and additional monitors?

In some games my fps with vsync on is capped at 49, Alien Isolation is the latest one and Grid 2 before that. Every other game is 60. If I drop the resolution to 2560x1080 it goes to 60 in both games but the native 3440x1440 is stuck at 49.

Any of you have this issue or know how to solve it?

Anyone using LG Screen Split software successfully with the 34um95 and additional monitors?

I posted about this a few pages back

It's hopeless. It's CLEARLY an oversight - that the software just stops looking for the monitor past 2 devices (since it seems DP is always loaded last on the list of displays on a computer).

It SHOULD be an easy fix.

But LG support is completely brain dead. I have tried their live chat, their email, and their phone line - all of them multiple times. I just want to report it so that the programmer can make a simple fix.

It's COMPLETELY hopeless. They just treat you like an idiot because they think you're trying to use the software on other monitors. I did all I could, but they're just too stupid. They gave up on me and said "how about I have an expert call you back on the issue".

I knew I wasn't going to get a call back, but I was just as frustrated and sick of dealing with them so I agreed. I haven't gotten a call back and never expect too.

I've since installed displayfusion and I'm enjoying it much more. The LG ScreenSplit did have a few benefits in ease of use, but I've given up all hope on that software.

**same goes for TrueColorFinder

I posted about this a few pages back

It's hopeless. It's CLEARLY an oversight - that the software just stops looking for the monitor past 2 devices (since it seems DP is always loaded last on the list of displays on a computer).

It SHOULD be an easy fix.

But LG support is completely brain dead. I have tried their live chat, their email, and their phone line - all of them multiple times. I just want to report it so that the programmer can make a simple fix.

It's COMPLETELY hopeless. They just treat you like an idiot because they think you're trying to use the software on other monitors. I did all I could, but they're just too stupid. They gave up on me and said "how about I have an expert call you back on the issue".

I knew I wasn't going to get a call back, but I was just as frustrated and sick of dealing with them so I agreed. I haven't gotten a call back and never expect too.

I've since installed displayfusion and I'm enjoying it much more. The LG ScreenSplit did have a few benefits in ease of use, but I've given up all hope on that software.

**same goes for TrueColorFinder

I agree. I don't like the use of the LG ScreenSplit. I have to look into displayfusion but any reason to replace this LG software is good in my book. The concept of the software is good but it's just not that intuitive. I wonder if there's a hotkey where I can split the screen. Or my personal favorite which is split of the screen in 4 equal boxes.

If LG could fix the sleep issues and all that. It would be good. To one of the previous posters, I installed Catalyst drivers 14.9 and it causes hangs on my computer. I uninstalled and reinstalled 14.8 drivers and the issues are gone. AMD actually reported that this was happening although my brother installed 14.9 and didn't have any issues. So the new drivers did not fix it for me. I currently just turn the monitor off every time.

Last edited:
In some games my fps with vsync on is capped at 49, Alien Isolation is the latest one and Grid 2 before that. Every other game is 60. If I drop the resolution to 2560x1080 it goes to 60 in both games but the native 3440x1440 is stuck at 49.

Any of you have this issue or know how to solve it?

It sounds like you might be connected via HDMI.

What graphics card and video cable are you using with the monitor?

I agree. I don't like the use of the LG ScreenSplit. I have to look into displayfusion but any reason to replace this LG software is good in my book. The concept of the software is good but it's just not that intuitive. I wonder if there's a hotkey where I can split the screen. Or my personal favorite which is split of the screen in 4 equal boxes.

I didn't HATE it, but it did feel very.....mmm...basic. as if they just paid some programmer to make something just to throw in with the product.

having to click on a tiny taskbar icon to change the split layouts and how it resizes/splits EVERYTHING (even the small stuff like a steam chat window)....the whole program just felt like a cheap implementation - and their support obviously doesn't care the slightest in improving it

I'm still getting a handle of displayfusion, but all I ever used screensplit for was the 50:50 split - which is easy with displayfusion as I ask it to "move/size windows to half right side" and bump up the "snapping" boundary by a ton. I don't think it can do the other fancy layouts as easily (though 4 boxes should be easy)

I didn't HATE it, but it did feel very.....mmm...basic. as if they just paid some programmer to make something just to throw in with the product.

having to click on a tiny taskbar icon to change the split layouts and how it resizes/splits EVERYTHING (even the small stuff like a steam chat window)....the whole program just felt like a cheap implementation - and their support obviously doesn't care the slightest in improving it

I'm still getting a handle of displayfusion, but all I ever used screensplit for was the 50:50 split - which is easy with displayfusion as I ask it to "move/size windows to half right side" and bump up the "snapping" boundary by a ton. I don't think it can do the other fancy layouts as easily (though 4 boxes should be easy)

It's because the screen real estate is so large that clicking on the tiny icon in the corner is not as natural if the screen was smaller.

What surprises me is that this monitor is clearly not cheap by any means so why is LG not providing premium support for this monitor is beyond me. I'm waiting for someone to buy the 34UC97 to see if these issues are there as well or if LG fixed them. I'm not sure I would pay 200-300 dollars more for the curve though and losing my VESA mounts (pretty sure it's missing).

It's because the screen real estate is so large that clicking on the tiny icon in the corner is not as natural if the screen was smaller.

What surprises me is that this monitor is clearly not cheap by any means so why is LG not providing premium support for this monitor is beyond me. I'm waiting for someone to buy the 34UC97 to see if these issues are there as well or if LG fixed them. I'm not sure I would pay 200-300 dollars more for the curve though and losing my VESA mounts (pretty sure it's missing).

agreed - was stupid they didn't integrate it on the right click menu or something

I have very low expectations with any kind of support with any company (usually always the bottom-budget, entry-level positions in the company), but LG's was just mind-blowingly thick, stupid, and insulting to me. At least with ASUS, I just have to describe the general problem to someone and I will get a replacement

oh well. AOC QC seems far worse now, and I still think monitors aren't big enough for curved to be anything but a fad - coming from a 1080p surround setup, 3440x1440 ends right before distortion against a flat panel becomes an issue, which is why I think it nails the sweet spot. I'll keep my extra 200-300 tyvm

hoi, i wonder what cd/m² i should use. i use the lg 34um95 just for gaming. first i calibrated to 120cd 2,2 6500k. i found this to be too dark. is 180cd too bright?

(what i also realised is that with calibrated settings the colors are less popping out.)

so what do you prefer? plz post your settings

I want to pick up the LG 34UM95-P but I need a new video card to run it. Figured this would be the best place to ask. Will the Sapphire 100363-4L work? Should I get a beefier card, or run SLI? 60+fps on max settings would be nice for games. I have a gtx580 classified ultra right now so I'd like equal performance or better and I am really unsure on how to make my choice.

hoi, i wonder what cd/m² i should use. i use the lg 34um95 just for gaming. first i calibrated to 120cd 2,2 6500k. i found this to be too dark. is 180cd too bright?

(what i also realised is that with calibrated settings the colors are less popping out.)

so what do you prefer? plz post your settings

there is no "wrong", but hardly anyone recommends HIGHER than 120 - some even recommend 100

just give it some time. You're probably just used to oversaturated and overbrightened monitors from the factory. Let colors be their own colors - don't buy into the whole "LOOK AT ME. LOOK AT THE VIBRANCE! MUCH WOW!". Manufacturers try too hard to make them stand out in a brightly lit retail store. Try to appreciate natural and accurate colors rather than overbloomed/vibrant ones

i thought 120cd is just for photo printing/editing and such things? prad always calibrates to 140cd and rgb standard is 160cd. im confused :confused:

I want to pick up the LG 34UM95-P but I need a new video card to run it. Figured this would be the best place to ask. Will the Sapphire 100363-4L work? Should I get a beefier card, or run SLI? 60+fps on max settings would be nice for games. I have a gtx580 classified ultra right now so I'd like equal performance or better and I am really unsure on how to make my choice.

If you want 60 FPS+ maxed out with a some headroom I would recommend either GTX 970 or GTX 980 SLI, the former being a much better price to performance option. A single GTX 980 will run games without an issue, but you may need turn down some settings in certain games. When I originally purchased my monitor I tried it with one GTX 780 Ti and although it ran without issues, I found that maintaining that 60 FPS maxed out was really pushing the card, so I ended up purchasing a second one for the extra head room.

If you want 60 FPS+ maxed out with a some headroom I would recommend either GTX 970 or GTX 980 SLI, the former being a much better price to performance option. A single GTX 980 will run games without an issue, but you may need turn down some settings in certain games. When I originally purchased my monitor I tried it with one GTX 780 Ti and although it ran without issues, I found that maintaining that 60 FPS maxed out was really pushing the card, so I ended up purchasing a second one for the extra head room.

Last I tried SLI and CF (4 years ago), the FPS maybe was higher with two cards, but the games didn't feel smoother for it. In fact, with two cards, staying above 60FPS was more essential than it was with one card. Is this still the case?

How well does SLI scale with a uber-modded skyrim?

Back