34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

In France they have 20% sales tax. So a street price of €650 translates to a base price of ~€540

In France they have 20% sales tax. So a street price of €650 translates to a base price of ~€540

The UM95 street-price I was comparing it to was from Amazon.de, which also included a similar VAT (think it's either 19 or 20%).. so the percentage decrease should be valid.

But even with my goofy maths, I'm still predicting a US price of $699 (and probably an MSRP of $799). And heck, I might as well predict the curved AOC will be $999 (with an MSRP of $1299).. sounds good to me, though I'm probably way off :)

Is anyone else having sleep issues with this monitor? I have my screen set to shutoff after 10 minutes of inactivity. Screen goes black, says no input, turns off, then comes back on saying no signal and repeats the process. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJv5luSOE-Q

Yes I had similar issues. Going into the BIOS and disabling the internal GPU solved it for me. I guess that since Displayport is plug-and-play, as soon as your display goes to sleep the motherboard thinks it's not connected anymore and switches to the internal GPU

Yes I had similar issues. Going into the BIOS and disabling the internal GPU solved it for me. I guess that since Displayport is plug-and-play, as soon as your display goes to sleep the motherboard thinks it's not connected anymore and switches to the internal GPU

Interesting, I had some crazy ass theory about multiple monitors powered from a single card at different refresh rates. It's making me go back and check my BIOS though I cant imagine why the iGPU would be enabled at all.

Edit: It still pulled some wacky shit on me when I disabled the iGPU (in my BIOS called IGD - Asus Maximus VI Hero). I booted up and the second screen (the one over HDMI) was still without input. Loading up GPU Tweak after manually turning the monitor on in the Windows Display control panel resulted in the same dropping of the monitor input signal (again the HDMI one).

Last edited:

No dice on that front. Primary adapter was already PCI-E. I disabled IGPU multi monitor and render standby. Same issue.

It still pulled some wacky shit on me when I disabled the iGPU (in my BIOS called IGD - Asus Maximus VI Hero). I booted up and the second screen (the one over HDMI) was still without input. Loading up GPU Tweak after manually turning the monitor on in the Windows Display control panel resulted in the same dropping of the monitor input signal (again the HDMI one).

No dice on that front. Primary adapter was already PCI-E. I disabled IGPU multi monitor and render standby. Same issue.

Sorry to hear that :(

Anyone know if waiting for the gt 970 8 GB would be better than going with the 4 GB since the resolution is higher and games are either more demanding or not optimized well aka watch dogs?

Anyone know if waiting for the gt 970 8 GB would be better than going with the 4 GB since the resolution is higher and games are either more demanding or not optimized well aka watch dogs?
Unless you are planning to buy TWO cards for SLI then dont worry about it. You will be reducing settings especially AA long before 4 GB becomes an issue.

The only one at the moment is Watch Dogs, and even then, that's for 4K resolutions and higher. I haven't had issues running into a VRAM wall @ 3440x1400 using R9 290X 4GB, hence why I didn't go out and buy the extremely expensive 8GB version. Unless you plan to run really high resolution eyefinity/surround, getting the larger VRAM versions of cards is a waste IMO, even at Quad-SLI. By the time you actually need that much VRAM, the 970s will be vastly underpowered unless you have ONE game that is coded horribly enough to validate it. That is, unless you plan on keeping the same card(s) in your system for 4+ years, then I can see the justification for it...

34UM95's 3440x1440 resolution is only 60% of 4K's, meaning you'd be better off comparing this to 2560x1600 or 2560x1440 benchmarks as a fair comparison.

You have to consider other things like higher resolutions needing more VRAM, and lower resolutions hitting CPU wall earlier, but here's a comparison chart based solely on pixels that I like to use:

1920x1080 = 2073600 pixels
1920x1200 = 2304000 pixels (111% of 1920x1080)
2560x1440 = 3686400 pixels (160% of 1920x1200, 178% of 1920x1080)
2560x1600 = 4096000 pixels (110% of 2560x1440, 178% of 1920x1200, 196% of 1920x1080)
3440x1440 = 4953600 pixels (134% of 2560x1440, 121% of 2560x1600, 215% of 1920x1200, 239% of 1920x1080)
3840x2160 = 8294400 pixels (167% of 3440x1440, 203% of 2560x1600, 225% of 2560x1440, 360% of 1920x1200, 400% of 1920x1080)

Greetings,

I have the 34UM95 currently coupled with a 295x2. Recently I've noticed that I get strange horizontal lines and screen flickering. All GPU clocks are at default. If I reboot the machine it goes away until I let the display power off from the machine. Once I move the mouse after a 'sleep' the flickering and lines re-appear. I bought a new DP cable that is listed as VESA certified on the displayport site and am still seeing the same issue, though not nearly as pronounced.

I began digging and noticed that if I switched the monitor into Displayport 1.1 mode the flickering and lines went away. If I then set the monitor back to DP 1.2 they come back. If the monitor is in 1.2 DP mode, and I change the color depth in the AMD 295x2 14.7 ccc drivers from 10bpc to 8bpc then it seems to have the same effect as reverting the monitor from DP 1.2 to 1.1; the lines and flickering disappear.

Is this a cable issue, a monitor issue, or a GPU issue? I used the monitors' supplied DP cable with a 780ti in DP 1.2 mode and did not experience the issue, though I do not know if the color depth was set to 8 bit or 10 bit in the Nvidia drivers.

Any ideas?

^ read through the thread. It's a driver issue with DP 1.2, and unless you actually NEED DP 1.2 for the 1% of professional programs that utilize it, you should be using DP 1.1. Just because the number is higher doesn't mean you need it, as DP 1.1 is fine and doesn't prevent you from experiencing 3440x1440 @ 60hz.

Was looking to pick one of these up and I'm surprised that these are still sold out everywhere (at regular price).

Was looking to pick one of these up and I'm surprised that these are still sold out everywhere (at regular price).

Yeah, still very popular. NCIX still has a 300 dollar mark up here in Canada land. But now that the curved display is going to be available I hope the flat one will drop to a decent price point.

These monitors are just too much awesome for not everyone to be sporting one so game companies all support the 21:9 resolution natively..

Yeah, still very popular. NCIX still has a 300 dollar mark up here in Canada land. But now that the curved display is going to be available I hope the flat one will drop to a decent price point.

These monitors are just too much awesome for not everyone to be sporting one so game companies all support the 21:9 resolution natively..

As long as I get it before the next Borderlands game I'll be alright :)

I finally opened mine and I have to say I'm missing the vertical space a little bit. The monitor is certainly wide but it comes with the tradeoff of being "short" and so far I'm undecided as to which display provides more immersion...this or my 32" BenQ that looks huge sitting next to it because it's so much taller.

Very pleased with the panel itself, though. I don't know if the previous complaints were overblown or if the ones that shipped from Massdrop did receive better quality control, but it's very pleasing to look at and mine has no backlight bleed to speak of. There is a minor amount of IPS glow, but nothing like the "corners are on fire" effect that I expected after looking at some of the pictures that were posted. It's not distracting during games, even in the dark, and I don't see it during normal desktop use. The blacks aren't as black as my BenQ of course, but they're not as bad as I expected either. This is a really, really nice panel.

One minor nitpick though is that I'm having the same problem that murdoc described here with the monitor coming back on on its own after Windows puts it to sleep and displaying "No signal" over and over. For now I just disabled the Windows sleep setting and have been turning the monitor on and off manually, which isn't a big deal, but it would be nice if the sleep worked properly in the event that I forget to turn it off. I need to go into my BIOS and make sure that my i7's GPU is disabled and will report back.

Just got my unit a week ago and using the KVM function with OSX on TB and my PC on DP is very nice. However, using OSX on TB I was able to control the volume of the monitor once, and now, I can't do it any more. I can still get audio out of the monitor, however the volume controls have vanished and I can't seem to get them back. Anyone on TB with the same issue?

thanks,
RDP

I finally opened mine and I have to say I'm missing the vertical space a little bit. The monitor is certainly wide but it comes with the tradeoff of being "short" and so far I'm undecided as to which display provides more immersion...this or my 32" BenQ that looks huge sitting next to it because it's so much taller.

Very pleased with the panel itself, though. I don't know if the previous complaints were overblown or if the ones that shipped from Massdrop did receive better quality control, but it's very pleasing to look at and mine has no backlight bleed to speak of. There is a minor amount of IPS glow, but nothing like the "corners are on fire" effect that I expected after looking at some of the pictures that were posted. It's not distracting during games, even in the dark, and I don't see it during normal desktop use. The blacks aren't as black as my BenQ of course, but they're not as bad as I expected either. This is a really, really nice panel.

One minor nitpick though is that I'm having the same problem that murdoc described here with the monitor coming back on on its own after Windows puts it to sleep and displaying "No signal" over and over. For now I just disabled the Windows sleep setting and have been turning the monitor on and off manually, which isn't a big deal, but it would be nice if the sleep worked properly in the event that I forget to turn it off. I need to go into my BIOS and make sure that my i7's GPU is disabled and will report back.

So...if u had to buy one which one would u get? The LG or the benq? I play ONLY games.

Is anyone else having sleep issues with this monitor? I have my screen set to shutoff after 10 minutes of inactivity. Screen goes black, says no input, turns off, then comes back on saying no signal and repeats the process. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJv5luSOE-Q

Yes, mine does something similar, although usually not right after it initially turns off, but sometimes much later. I've had the monitor go to low-power mode then seen it wake up after going to bed. It's annoying as hell. Never had this happen with a previous monitor.

Yes, mine does something similar, although usually not right after it initially turns off, but sometimes much later. I've had the monitor go to low-power mode then seen it wake up after going to bed. It's annoying as hell. Never had this happen with a previous monitor.

If I put the COMPUTER to sleep, the monitor turns off and stays off. The issue is lets say I leave my computer on and walk away. After 10 minutes my monitor is set to shutoff from the power settings in Windows control panel. This results in the endless on-off-on cycle. I didn't change anything system-wise when I got this monitor. My QNIX 27" was hooked up via DualLink DVI and that worked just fine. My 37" Vizio LCD connected via HDMI would display no signal (can't power down since it's a tv). It's got to be something with this monitor or the DisplayPort behavior. I may test an HDMI connection tonight to my computer and remove the DisplayPort cable and port completely from this equation and see what happens.

If I put the COMPUTER to sleep, the monitor turns off and stays off. The issue is lets say I leave my computer on and walk away. After 10 minutes my monitor is set to shutoff from the power settings in Windows control panel. This results in the endless on-off-on cycle. I didn't change anything system-wise when I got this monitor. My QNIX 27" was hooked up via DualLink DVI and that worked just fine. My 37" Vizio LCD connected via HDMI would display no signal (can't power down since it's a tv). It's got to be something with this monitor or the DisplayPort behavior. I may test an HDMI connection tonight to my computer and remove the DisplayPort cable and port completely from this equation and see what happens.

I do not have this issue with my GTX 780Ti's and this monitor through display port 1.2 with Windows 8.1 pro.

That's exactly what happens to me, and it happens with both my Win7 laptop and my Win8.1 desktop (I have each connected via DisplayPort via a real KVM switch). I have to turn the monitor fully off to be sure it won't turn on for no reason after Windows tells it to power down.

It doesn't matter who doesn't have this issue (or who does have it but doesn't realize it). It's an issue for at least some of us...

I'm going to try enabling DP 1.2. (Edit: Well that was a short experiment. DP 1.2 didn't work with Win7 at all, and within seconds, I noticed screen corruption under Win8.1.)

That's exactly what happens to me, and it happens with both my Win7 laptop and my Win8.1 desktop (I have each connected via DisplayPort via a real KVM switch). I have to turn the monitor fully off to be sure it won't turn on for no reason after Windows tells it to power down.

It doesn't matter who doesn't have this issue (or who does have it but doesn't realize it). It's an issue for at least some of us...

I'm going to try enabling DP 1.2. (Edit: Well that was a short experiment. DP 1.2 didn't work with Win7 at all, and within seconds, I noticed screen corruption under Win8.1.)

That is weird, which video card are you using? I have been using DP 1.2 since I received the monitor back in May without problems.

I get the same endless display on-off cycle when Windows tells the monitor to enter power saving mode. This requires me to manually power off the monitor.

Video card is an Asus Strix GTX 780 6GB w/ latest certified drivers on Windows 8.1 64-bit. Monitor itself has a late 2013 built date according to the EDID data. Different DP cables and switching between DP 1.1/1.2 seems to make no difference.

Other monitors on the same system do not have this issue. The LG monitor seems to work as expected on my HP laptop's Intel video for some reason.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm seeing on mine too.

Last edited:
I get the same endless display on-off cycle when Windows tells the monitor to enter power saving mode. This requires me to manually power off the monitor.

Video card is an Asus Strix GTX 780 6GB w/ latest certified drivers on Windows 8.1 64-bit. Monitor itself has a late 2013 built date according to the EDID data. Different DP cables and switching between DP 1.1/1.2 seems to make no difference.

Other monitors on the same system do not have this issue. The LG monitor seems to work as expected on my HP laptop's Intel video for some reason.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm seeing on mine too.

Do you have a processor with integrated GFX?

I know I wasn't the one being asked, but I have an Intel Core i7 3970X. I don't think it has any sort of native graphics support.

I know I wasn't the one being asked, but I have an Intel Core i7 3970X. I don't think it has any sort of native graphics support.

Yeah that does not have integrated GFX. I myself still have an Core i7 920 which does not either. Not sure why some people are having the issue, other then a MFG defect on certain batches. I wonder if the firmware is different, although I did not think that an update was released.

I just pre-ordered the uc97...BHphoto said they expect it in on Oct 6th. Hopefully the curve fixes the bleed...Should go nicely with the 980 that's coming in this week :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcaktV1iiGk

Video review for LinusTechTips already confirms it doesn't fix backlight bleed, at least for the review panel he was given. He liked everything else about it, but keep in mind he rarely says anything truly bad about products he features, which is why I unsubbed a long time ago. Watch his "reviews" more like you would a commercial, not for a truly informative review that tells you the real pros and cons of a product.

The guy is a great speaker though, I'll give him that...

So...if u had to buy one which one would u get? The LG or the benq? I play ONLY games.

I'm very interested in this as well. I haven't been able to check out both in person but I'm thinking that the 32" might be a bit better for what I want, but the DPI is a bit higher so don't know if it'll look as good as what I've got (Dell 3011 and Crossover 27q)

I'm really pleased with the quality of the Crossover, and my main complaint of the Dell is the AG

*** BUMP ****

Tried to add my old Mini Displayport to DVI adapter monitor to the 2nd TB connection on the monitor last night. No dice. Research indicates that if the LG functions the same way as a Apple TB display then it will never work, the only thing to do it put another TB device in the chain (such as a Seagate TB Drive adapter) then hang the monitor off there.

Question is: Has anyone actually tried this with the LG monitor?

thanks,
RDP

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcaktV1iiGk

Video review for LinusTechTips already confirms it doesn't fix backlight bleed, at least for the review panel he was given. He liked everything else about it, but keep in mind he rarely says anything truly bad about products he features, which is why I unsubbed a long time ago. Watch his "reviews" more like you would a commercial, not for a truly informative review that tells you the real pros and cons of a product.

The guy is a great speaker though, I'll give him that...

Thanks for the link. He mentions he doesn't use it at home b/c it doesn't have G-sync. I've never tried the G-sync, so maybe ignorance is bliss ;)

So I managed to fix my on/off cycling issue as well as the issue with GPUTweak disabling one of the monitors whenever it launched or swapped profiles. I'm not so sure about the former yet (haven't put it to sleep for more than 5 minutes) but tonight and tomorrow should prove useful testing grounds. As others have said I went into the BIOS to disable the on-board GPU (i5 4670K) - the trick is to make sure you get ALL of the options in the BIOS that deal with the iGPU/IGD. I'm on a Maximus VI Hero and there are a couple different menu locatiosn and option settings that deal with the PCIe/primary display/on-board graphics that all have to be changed in order for the iGPU to completely be disabled from any access to the monitors.

As for my GPUTweak issue...that was solved by running CCleaner and removing old registry files of previous installations and reinstalling fresh. I felt like a retard after I figured it out to be honest. But as of right now, both displays are exhibiting no issues (even with DP 1.2 enabled on the one) and running 50Hz via HDMI on the other. Life is good, and life would be great if Asus would release their Strix 980 cards to market.

Added system info to my signature.

I have tested both DisplayPort 1.2 on and off. No change in behavior. Primary GPU is PCI-E, disabled IGPU multi monitor and render standby. Using latest release drives from NVIDIA and have installed the LG software and drivers that came with the monitor.

I'm eagerly waiting for a review of Dell's U3415W. That's most likely the monitor I'm going to get. LG/Dell pretty much answered my calling for a large curved ultrawide IPS monitor.

Anybody do HDMI out from the pc to displayport on the monitor? Will it work right?

I have a laptop with just hdmi out and no displayport...was wondering the best way to get this to work. I know that I could do just HDMI to HDMI but I thought that limited alot of options?

Back