34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Hello everyone, I have the model 34um95, connected to a cf ati 290x
I immediately had problems with the function dp 1.2, your monitor is not hooked the signal and remained oxen
I bought a new cable 1.2 compilant with no result
I had an idea to connect also the hdmi port on the same card, and by activating the monitor works 1.2

[H]appymeal;1041048169 said:
I bought a camera from microcenter a decade ago, that contained the previous generation camera in the box. I'm still sour with them about that experience. Either they aren't able to watch their staff well or they resell returned items without marking the product as such.

I heard a story from my old man that someone he knew bought a hard drive from Costco back in the 1990s and when he got home, there was 2 cans of cat food inside of it! They never opened it to see if the drive was inside of it when it was returned!

Hello everyone, I have the model 34um95, connected to a cf ati 290x
I immediately had problems with the function dp 1.2, your monitor is not hooked the signal and remained oxen
I bought a new cable 1.2 compilant with no result
I had an idea to connect also the hdmi port on the same card, and by activating the monitor works 1.2

I had issues with mine at 1.2 with my 295x2 also...1.1 works fine. I think its an issue with the video cards or the monitor.

Looks like the Philips display is starting to show up. BDM3470UP.

3EO3PVM.jpg

I'm using the included DP cord and its working. I did have to fiddle around in the monitor menu to get it to work. On mine however it said it had DP connection but didn't. Really weird about that message. So I messed around in the menu and rebooted a couple times thinking the cord was fine but something else was keeping it from working. The second reboot it magically came alive somehow. I still dont know for sure what I did to make it work. I'm running two Sapphire 290x Tri-X OC cards. I have the DP 1.2 disabled in mine.

If you are getting the message of no DP connection then it's probably the cord or your video card. At least that seems to be what we are hearing here. If you are getting a message saying you have it but dont then keep playing with it. Try rebooting your pc after making changes. The instruction manual is pretty useless if you ask me.

Got mine yesterday as well (manufactured Aug. 2014).
Had pretty severe backlight bleed along the entire bottom, but I fixed it almost entirely by fiddling around with the plastic bottom bezel - pulled/pushed it gently along the bottom till the bleed spots were gone.

Goes to show you that:
a) even the most recent ones still have this "problem"
b) it only takes a thin plastic tool, some patience and ~20 minutes of your time to fix it

IMG_0437.JPG

P.S. - yes, this table is way too small for it.

P.P.S. - Here's what I was able to achieve thus far:

IMG_0441.png

The top/side bleed spots can be fiddled with as well, but that takes slightly more effort and finesse, still working on them.
It looks a lot worse on the picture than it actually is - it's nearly unnoticeable in reality, even in dark scenes.

P.P.P.S. - the result of 20 minutes with a guitar pick, right side (created a new black background, so the white spot is different):

IMG_0442.png

Last edited:
the fact is that the operation of the port 1.2 is not safe, sometimes it goes, others shall not be
certainly ati video cards are compatible
I want it to work well because only in that case we have the 10-bit
we want to complain with lg?

the fact is that the operation of the port 1.2 is not safe, sometimes it goes, others shall not be
It works fine with DisplayPort 1.2 on, but not with every cable. It's neither AMD's nor LG's fault that it doesn't for some people.

Are you 100% sure that your video card is 10-bit capable?

We had this discussion earlier in this thread and I thought that the conclusion was that the vast majority of us won't see any benefit from enabling DP 1.2 because we don't have graphics cards capable of 10-bit output anyway.

Got mine yesterday as well (manufactured Aug. 2014).
Had pretty severe backlight bleed along the entire bottom, but I fixed it almost entirely by fiddling around with the plastic bottom bezel - pulled/pushed it gently along the bottom till the bleed spots were gone.

Goes to show you that:
a) even the most recent ones still have this "problem"
b) it only takes a thin plastic tool, some patience and ~20 minutes of your time to fix it

IMG_0437.JPG

P.S. - yes, this table is way too small for it.

Thank you for that. Does you monitor list a revision on it?

[H]appymeal;1041051999 said:
Thank you for that. Does you monitor list a revision on it?
Not that I can find, looked just about everywhere - the box, the display itself, monitor/EDID info, etc. - the only additional info I found is that the panel itself was manufactured on week 50 of 2013, if that helps.

anyone using this display with more than 1 accessory display...WITH true color finder/hardware LUT?

The second I add a second monitor (DVI, 1080p), True Color Finder and Screen Split completely lose recognition of the LG panel and won't initialize. DP 1.1 and 1.2 didn't make a difference, same story

really infuriating. I emailed LG support but I don't expect much....I was really happy justifying the price tag on this monitor and the calibrator (i1 display pro) with the hardware LUT, and now it looks like I'll have to give it up.

on a GTX Titan. Trying to hook up the 34UM95 and 3 1080p accessory displays

Are you 100% sure that your video card is 10-bit capable?

We had this discussion earlier in this thread and I thought that the conclusion was that the vast majority of us won't see any benefit from enabling DP 1.2 because we don't have graphics cards capable of 10-bit output anyway.
hi Imy..
i've amd R9 290X in C.f ..
I believe suits the specific video card
the fact is that sometimes the monitor fails to sync, sometimes it goes out of sync
you are all sure the problem is the video card?

ChronoDog, that looks so much better! Annoying that the end-user effort is required, but it's amazing the kind of differences half an hour of your time can make.

this monitor is such a piece of crap for $1000 + any back light bleed is unacceptable.

my monitor went straight back for a full refund. wont be buying LG again.

buyer beware on this item.

ChronoDog, that looks so much better! Annoying that the end-user effort is required, but it's amazing the kind of differences half an hour of your time can make.

Thanks, still working on it.
It indeed is a pity that a new monitor like this requires so much polishing, but I don't mind it (it's actually quite rewarding to do, even), because there's simply nothing else like it out there yet.

The trick is to gently and slightly pull the top glass layer away from the panel, to relieve the pressure on the LCD - which is what seems to cause most of the visible bleed in the first place.

Will post more pictures of the progress when I have the time.

this monitor is such a piece of crap for $1000 + any back light bleed is unacceptable.

my monitor went straight back for a full refund. wont be buying LG again.

buyer beware on this item.

I agree they want too much for the UM95, even a good working one. Hopefully new units get out to the consumer at a much lower price.

The trick is to gently and slightly pull the top glass layer away from the panel, to relieve the pressure on the LCD - which is what seems to cause most of the visible bleed in the first place.

Will post more pictures of the progress when I have the time.
Can you make a video of how you do it? :)

Anyone have any new rumors about the Dell U3415W? I have a Dell gift card burning a hole in my pocket and Im trying to resist getting the U2713HM

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Geez!

Here's one for anyone who wants to buy one for less than MSRP, and help out a fellow member at the same time. I'd probably buy it if I didn't already have a 34UM94 coming from Massdrop.

I have two coming and I'm still tempted...but X99 and the new GTX cards are telling me not to. That and my limited amount of desk space for even two much less three of the damn things.

It looks like Adorama has it in stock now. They are usually good, but I did have a terrible return process with them on a high end lens when they shipped me the wrong one a few years back.

Anyone have any new rumors about the Dell U3415W? I have a Dell gift card burning a hole in my pocket and Im trying to resist getting the U2713HM

I actually asked my corporate dell rep about it earlier this week, out of random curiosity. He said it hasn't released yet, and that those last two digits refer to fiscal year of release. So I don't believe it was cancelled.

Not sure when Dell ends their fiscal year, used to be February, so that means it will be available sometime between now and then.

In a seemingly unrelated news: http://www.techpowerup.com/204671/alienware-unveils-the-new-area-51-gaming-desktop.html

"Wraparound Immersion, 34" Curved Display
Taking full advantage of the power on tap with the Alienware Area-51, Dell is the first to unveil a 34" curved monitor, groundbreaking for its optimal union of innovative design and brilliant resolution. The Dell UltraSharp 34" Monitor (U3415W) is the perfect display for both gamers and the developers who create their games. The Dell UltraSharp 34" Monitor features an ultra-wide 21:9 screen with the cinematic clarity and sharpness of WQHD 3440x1440 resolution so players will see everything being thrown their way and developers have the ultimate canvas for enhanced productivity and creativity. The curved display and wide field of view work together to give gamers a competitive edge, requiring less eye movement when compared to a flat panel display and enabling players to take advantage of their peripheral vision when the competition heats up. The U3415W monitor offers all of the features that users demand, including a fully adjustable stand, HDMI 2.0, MHL, DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort connectivity, dual integrated 9 watt speakers, 60Hz performance and, when it's set up in multi-monitor configuration, a virtually borderless cockpit view across multiple screens thanks to its ultra-thin bezels."

So, I guess I was right: LG is ditching the flat 34" 3440x1440 panel in favor of the curved.

That's good news that the U3415W will be curved instead of flat. If that's the case, I'd rather have that version than the LG due to the adjustable stand and hassle-free warranty.

Guess the 34UM94 will have to keep me happy until December. :)

Glad to see some information coming out about the Dell U3415W. Like that they're going with a fully functional stand and hopefully no issues with the monitor itself once released.

What does "fully adjustable stand" mean in this context? I can't imagine portrait orientation would be an option (and even if it were... on a curved screen, that'd be really weird).

I would say the thing slides up and down on the stand up to whatever height they set as maximum. Dell has used those type of stands for years on various models.

I guess it's going to be a while until one of these come out with some flavor of adaptive sync. Gearing the Dell towards gamers at 60hz seems a bit silly to me.

I guess it's going to be a while until one of these come out with some flavor of adaptive sync. Gearing the Dell towards gamers at 60hz seems a bit silly to me.

I could certainly see them offering 120hz in the future on a display like this. The hardware requirements for 3440 x 1440 @ 120hz would be fairly steep to maintain 120fps at a respectable quality though. In any case, I think plenty of "gamers" are satisfied at 60hz.

The U3415W monitor offers all of the features that users demand..

So they announced a U3415W model last December that never materialized.. and now 8 months later, they re-announce the same model, but as a curved display?

"The Dell UltraSharp 34-inch Monitor will be up for order in China in November, and then globally from December. No word on pricing at this stage."

Why is Dell, a US company, releasing this in China before anywhere else??

Because it passed through the appropriate certification authorities there first?

Why is Dell, a US company, releasing this in China before anywhere else??

I would take a guess, and say most likely they produce their monitors over there, like most other companies. And since shipping is less of an issue, they can hit the streets earlier.

Hi, can someone tell me if this is normal or defective.

I couldn't adjust the Black Level in the setup menu. It's not available to change and it's setup on High.

Thanks

Hi, can someone tell me if this is normal or defective.

I couldn't adjust the Black Level in the setup menu. It's not available to change and it's setup on High.

Thanks

What type of connection to your video card are you using?

Back