34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

To be fair the flat one is marketed more towards graphic designers, it has a built-in LUT also, unlike the curved model. That means you can load color profiles from calibrations onto the monitor directly.

After using the curved for like 4 days now I might take your advice and get the flat one. At first I was going to get the dell U2715h because I really like the thin borders also.

But the ultrawide really helps me for work, having a web on left and some code and photoshop on right etc..

Than was looking into some 4K monitors but think I am going to wait till OLED to make the swap. Just to scared at the moment with the scaling and clients logo's.

If you're doing design work Dell makes more sense than LG or Samsung since the U3415W has excellent out of box calibration and uniformity compared with most other options. I have a Spyder5 Express (same hardware as the Pro and Elite, different software, save your money if you get a Datacolor colorimeter) and did a calibration run as soon as I got it... and went back to the factory settings, since there was no real difference I could see. It's worth noting that I didn't use the Datacolor app, which I've never cared for, but instead dispcalGUI.

If you're doing design work Dell makes more sense than LG or Samsung since the U3415W has excellent out of box calibration and uniformity compared with most other options. I have a Spyder5 Express (same hardware as the Pro and Elite, different software, save your money if you get a Datacolor colorimeter) and did a calibration run as soon as I got it... and went back to the factory settings, since there was no real difference I could see. It's worth noting that I didn't use the Datacolor app, which I've never cared for, but instead dispcalGUI.

The dell is curved, not useable for design work pretty much.

If the curve is the same as on the LG model it is not useable for design work.

Side by side with a 26" 1920x1200 IPS panel, there is no notable distortion comparing images at 1:1.

Either substantiate your claims or stop making them. "It's not suitable" means nothing without basis.

Last edited:
Side by side with a 26" 1920x1200 IPS panel, there is no notable distortion comparing images at 1:1.

Either substantiate your claims or stop making them. "It's not suitable" means nothing without basis.

Dude what do you want me to say different that I bought the monitor and it is stupid bad for photoshop, indesign or any other graphic work.

Straight lines are not straight, are you frekkin dumb?

If you're doing design work Dell makes more sense than LG or Samsung since the U3415W has excellent out of box calibration and uniformity compared with most other options..

The Dell is not better for color or uniformity... they use the same panel (the LG and Dell at least). The LG is factory calibrated as well. Differences are minor outside of unit to unit variation.

And like I said the LG (flat UM95-P) has a hardware LUT which makes it better for graphic design work.

If the curve is not an issue and you aren't doing professional graphics work, then the Dell is a better choice - I do like the construction better and it has 3 years warranty.

Yes thats what I thought but I am just tired on any forum people only think about gaming. Even if you ask advice, they say take that the Dell is better. Curve is almost nothing etc etc...

No it is more than enough for any decent graphic designer/web developer to have problems.

Clients also come to the office to preview stuff, having to explain every time that his footer or whatever design will not look like that on his monitor is just...

So is the curve is an issue for graphic design/making logos, but is it also an issue for web design/coding (not the actual text/coding, but the visual part of web design) as well?

So is the curve is an issue for graphic design/making logos, but is it also an issue for web design/coding (not the actual text/coding, but the visual part of web design) as well?

It is, I am thinking to get the flat one for now and see what monitors come out later on.

Well crap... now I don't know what to do. Keep the curved and add a 27" 1440 flat on either end for web design or just swap out for a flat 34" or 3 27" 1440's - crap!

Last edited:
Well crap... now I don't know what to do. Keep the curved and add a 27" 1440 flat on either end for web design or just swap out for a flat 34" or 3 27" 1440's - crap!

Look if you do a fair amount of design, web work all I can tell the curve is not going to help you, everything straight looks bad. For example footers of a web or even if you use photoshop or illustrator in the middle of your monitor like you would with a 27" you can see the lines not being straight and it is annoying as hell I don't know how people can work like that... Keep in mind I sometimes show stuff at the office so its really annoying for a client also.

What I personal will do is either get the flat LG one, or for now go back to a single 27" dell. I am not a fan of dual or tripple monitor setups.

I moved from the flat LG to the Predator X34, I do web stuff as well but my focus is more on coding than design. My opinion is that, the curve doesn't get in the way of anything once you're used to it. I feel like I'd be better off not having it, as I don't really think it adds much even for gaming, but alas that isn't an option as far as high refresh rate ultrawides go.

That said, I absolutely wouldn't want to preview a site to a client on a curved display. Just another variable you'd have to worry about.

Want!

http://www.techpowerup.com/219588/samsung-readies-144-hz-3440-x-1440-ultra-wide-monitors.html

But when is NV going to release DP1.3!!!! these proclaimed monitors are a fairy tail because nothing could currently run that res with that refresh :confused:

Thought i would share.

I want the ROG Swift of this monitor! and of course two monster truck pascal cards because my current 980s will not cut that bandwidth.

I like how at the end it says 'The two could come out later this year.' At any rate wait for reviews when it does come out before buying is my advice.

I like how at the end it says 'The two could come out later this year.' At any rate wait for reviews when it does come out before buying is my advice.

oh yeah I am a review first kinda guy. I don't have that kind of money to spend on something and find out it wasn't all the marketing team cracked it up to be.

Pascal will have DP1.3 and I assume this will come out about the same time.

Hey guys,

I just got my u3415w, it's great!

I wanted to know about overclocking though, I heard some ppl could overclock to 75hz. I tried to do a custom res using nvidia's cp and while it worked... it was skipping frames. Oddly enough though, the skip frames test said it was not skipping, but I could tell the on the scroll test it was not smooth like 60hz.

I'm using an HDMI cable and also tried the mini-display port, same results. I have a full displayport cable coming tomorrow to try out. Has anyone gotten the overclock to work with an hdmi or mDp?

Hey guys,

I just got my u3415w, it's great!

I wanted to know about overclocking though, I heard some ppl could overclock to 75hz. I tried to do a custom res using nvidia's cp and while it worked... it was skipping frames. Oddly enough though, the skip frames test said it was not skipping, but I could tell the on the scroll test it was not smooth like 60hz.

I'm using an HDMI cable and also tried the mini-display port, same results. I have a full displayport cable coming tomorrow to try out. Has anyone gotten the overclock to work with an hdmi or mDp?

Pretty much everybody who has tried to OC that panel gets skipped frames. I just leave it at 60Hz.

For the Dell, A02s seem to have less backlight bleed on average than A01 revisions. Other than that, not really that I know of.

This chat I'm seeing about the curve causing distortions and not good for graphic/web designers is 100% an opinion. I've been using this monitor for both graphic and web design and I absolutely love it. I don't even understand the logic of a customer coming into your office and being confused about the curve. I have not encountered this at all, in fact I get customers saying how cool the display is. Truly astonishing to say this will debilitate your ability to design. Once again, I do a lot of design work and NOT ONCE has this inhibited my work or discouraged my customers. The color calibration out of the box is great as well. Also, the curve is extremely subtle. I would highly recommend this monitor for productivity, I split the screen in 3 sections and get a lot done. I'm really considering getting another u3415w.

This chat I'm seeing about the curve causing distortions and not good for graphic/web designers is 100% an opinion. I've been using this monitor for both graphic and web design and I absolutely love it. I don't even understand the logic of a customer coming into your office and being confused about the curve. I have not encountered this at all, in fact I get customers saying how cool the display is. Truly astonishing to say this will debilitate your ability to design. Once again, I do a lot of design work and NOT ONCE has this inhibited my work or discouraged my customers. The color calibration out of the box is great as well. Also, the curve is extremely subtle. I would highly recommend this monitor for productivity, I split the screen in 3 sections and get a lot done. I'm really considering getting another u3415w.

Might wanna show of your work before you talk crap like this. If you can show footers that are curved to your clients than man give me some of your "highend" clients please! Anything below or above Eyesight looks curved simple as that and its pretty bad.

If your doing some low end crap work, sure it will not bother you.

Might wanna show of your work before you talk crap like this. If you can show footers that are curved to your clients than man give me some of your "highend" clients please! Anything below or above Eyesight looks curved simple as that and its pretty bad.

My friend uses the Dell curved for his design work and he loves it. Clients don't come to his house, he does all of his work over the internet, they tell him basically what they are looking for and he does the design.

Look man, I don't need to justify my work and I'm not going to argue with you. I simply stated that it was an opinion, because I have never encountered an issue before. Maybe I'll do a tutorial on youtube of some of my logos and show off the new screen, then people can make their own opinion.

Reactions: Qrash
like this
When y'all are looking at the screen, where is it in relation to your head? Are you sitting head middle or head high centered?

I'm a little above center, but not substantially. I've actually been meaning to find something to raise it with a bit.

One thing about the curve on the Dell, often I am using the screen for several hours then I stand up, look back at the monitor and I am amazed at the curve. It's so immersive and engrossing that you don't notice it when sitting in front but when you see from standing above standing up, it's really noticeable. Great monitor, one of the best upgrades I ever did. Has pretty bad corner backlight bleed btw.

On another note, looks like I am going to be receiving a replacement model, the buzzing behind the Dell logo is very distracting (I am on revision A01, build date of August 2015). It's always there and slightly worse with light colour, particularly white. I have crappy wiriing in this place but I don't think it's earth/grounding issue, seems innate to the monitor.

commodore64+ I agree about the curve on the U3415W. I move from it to mt BenQ BL3200 PT without any problem. TheU3415W is now nicer to game on!

On a whim, I picked up a LG 34UM67-P for $300 a couple weeks ago. No backlight bleeding issues, screen uniformity looks great and no dead pixels. I was a little concerned about the 21:9 format (for gaming) and did not want to blow $900+ on a 34" curved freesync/gsync monitor and end up not liking the ultra wide view. I figured that for $300 though, if I did not like it I could sell for about what I got it for and with it I can test out freesync as well. I think I got a newer revision, this one has a freesync range of 40-75hz as standard. The low ppi 2560x1080 resolution was the only wildcard for me.

I was prepared for the worst, but after a couple weeks I am actually very pleased with it's performance in games. The black levels are not as good as my BenQ, but with some fooling they look pretty good and color reproduction is solid. Response is snappy and I personally do not notice any lag. Freesync is awesome. The resolution does not seem to harm image quality much, if at all in games. I was playing the division last night and was thinking to myself how it looked fantastic and thanks to the resolution only having around 33% more pixels than 1920x1080, it does not require a ton of gpu power to get good frame rates. Now if it was a multi purpose monitor, I think for sure I'd want a higher resolution though as I much prefer the ppi of my BL3200PT's 1440p for normal desktop stuff. It is not horrible, but it is noticeable.

Still not 100% sold on the 21:9. I like it for sure, but the diminished vertical real estate reduces some immersion while the the added horizontal adds some, which sort of makes it a wash for me. I think a 40" 21:9 would be just about perfect though. I am going to give it some more time and jump back and forth some more between my BenQ and the LG and try to figure out which I prefer.

On a whim, I picked up a LG 34UM67-P for $300
That's a great deal, it's still about 500 bucks in most places. Pixel density never bothered me so I recently picked up one of that same model and had similar results - no backlight bleed, no dead pixels, and excellent screen color uniformity. Felt like I got a cherry picked reviewer's sample. Quite happy with it so far.

Back