34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Sorry, what is a Lightpack?

It's ambient lighting that attaches to the back of your display. There are 10 LED strips. Software runs on your computer that tells the pack what color is currently being displayed at the edges of the screen and the pack sets the LEDs to a similar color.

Ah, I see. Is it to enhance the sense of immersion during games and movies? Can you provide a link to the kit you have?

Oh...no. It just happened again.........even though I have disabled DP 1.2.....
SO ANNOYING!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I wonder could it be the reason that my room temperature is too high which might cause the monitor overheats and cut off the power by itself..? Because I live on 2nd floor and the sunlight gets to my room in the afternoon.

Try using a certified DP cable. I'm using an Accell DP cable with DP 1.2 disabled and since then no problems.

Try using a certified DP cable. I'm using an Accell DP cable with DP 1.2 disabled and since then no problems.

I haven't had any problems with my display until today. I replaced my 6' cable with a 12' and immediately started seeing the display blanking problems that people have posted about. I went back to the 6' and they went away. People having this issue should definitely try a different cable.

Yeah, it's slightly more immersive. It's a nice visual effect and having some ambient light helps with eyestrain in a dark room. I got it from here: http://lightpack.tv/

WOW dude you just made my day. That thing is amazing. I was just gonna put philips hue light strips. This is even better. Can you tell me 1 thing.. Whats the height of the screen from top to bottom of your dell. dont measure the bezel. just the screen. thanks in advance.

For those of you who recently got a U3415W, does your monitor make any noise? I have a noise coming that keeps coming behind the top right of the monitor. Doesn't happen all the time but will always happen when it comes off power saving mode into a full screen white background.

Check out my video HERE that I posted on the Dell forums. You should be able to hear it every second in the video at full volume. Ignore the wind noise coming from my fans. I recently got a replacement and same issue...

Zero noise from my U3415W, and I'm generally very sensitive to that sort of thing. Suspect you got a defective one.

I haven't had any problems with my display until today. I replaced my 6' cable with a 12' and immediately started seeing the display blanking problems that people have posted about. I went back to the 6' and they went away. People having this issue should definitely try a different cable.

It just bugs me that I can't use DisplayPort 1.2 mode. So I ordered a 3 foot Accell cable that is certified for 1.2 mode. I only need a short cable to go from my laptop to my Dell U3415W. Hopefully this will work for me.

Shoot: I wonder if my laptop (Dell Precision M4800) is DP 1.2? Maybe it's not and that's why I had to drop to the monitor to 1.1 mode.

UPDATE: My laptop has a Nvidia Quadro K2100M GPU which the Nvidia website says supports DisplayPort 1.2. Is there a way to tell if that is the mode coming out of the laptop?

Last edited:
Seems prices are continuing to drop, newegg has the Dell for $699 right now with an additional $20 off

Is this because they are trying to move the '15 inventory and make way for the 3416's or are we going to see another heavy price adjustment in our favor soon?

Didn't realize the Dell had built in speakers till just now, how are they as far as sound & quality are concerned? Is it still best to go with separate speakers?

They were over priced to begin with. It could be they are trying to move out inventory for something newer but more likely production has the supply chain full now. Watch and see if the stores jack up the price when they run out or quickly restock. That should tell us something.

Damn seems newegg jacked their price back up to $879 - wish I would have pulled the trigger when I could have gotten it for $200 cheaper just a couple of weeks ago.

I hope they come down in price again, do you guys think they will?

Dell.com has them currently for $750, would be great to be around $6-650 for one.

They should definitely be that price again; it just depends on how much patience you have. There's no way I'd pay more than $750...I paid around that price for mine nearly a year ago.

I wonder if the Asus ROG Swift PG348Q is really $600 better than these displays when it comes out.

They should definitely be that price again; it just depends on how much patience you have. There's no way I'd pay more than $750...I paid around that price for mine nearly a year ago.

Yeah not in a rush at this point, but will def snag it when I see it drop under $700 again.

Any idea when the 2016 versions will be out? Perhaps that will push the rest of the 2015 models down a significant amount?

But perhaps the 16' versions will have all of the bugs & kinks worked out that the 15's had and be worth their premium?

When will we see these sub $500? Or is that just wishful thinking?

They need to come out with a 40+" version of this!

I wonder if the Asus ROG Swift PG348Q is really $600 better than these displays when it comes out.

In short, no. Not unless you don't have the GPU horsepower to maintain 60FPS in most titles and are super sensitive to screen tearing. That or you are a competitive FPS player and really need more than 60 Hz? Then I guess? Otherwise, most G-Sync offerings are a joke considering their completely insane markup and vastly inferior image quality.

I moved from the UM95 to an X34 ( haven't seen comparisons to the PG348Q, but same monitor on paper ), and yes I feel the $600 difference was worth it. G-Sync made more of a difference than I expected, it's not something I ever want to be without again. Kinda like when I got my first SSD. It'll probably be my last LCD, as this is close to the perfect monitor for me. I just want the same specs in an OLED panel now.

I'm pretty sensitive to input lag and tearing I guess though, for me spending an extra $600 for the monitor upgrade was a far better purchase than getting another 980 TI for SLI. I constantly ran into with issues with SLI on my old dual 980 setup, compatibility issues and inconsistent frame times ( microstutter) really put me off. There are some games that I got great results with SLI in but they were few.

So far this afternoon I have not had any of the blanking events on my Dell U3415W monitor after replacing my 2m DisplayPort cable (unknown brand) with a new 1m Accell UltraAV B142C-003B-2 cable that is certified for DisplayPort 1.2 operation and changing my monitor back to 1.2 mode using its menu system. Perhaps the problem was caused by my previous cable not being fully capable of 1.2 operation.

It's just so beautiful!

fifa15pc.jpg

I thought the lights were supposed to turn a similar color? Shouldn't they be green? :)

Also, how do they react when you play a very dark game...say a horror game like Amnesia or Outlast where the screen is mostly black.

I thought the lights were supposed to turn a similar color? Shouldn't they be green? :)

Also, how do they react when you play a very dark game...say a horror game like Amnesia or Outlast where the screen is mostly black.

Heh, really funny that you mention that second point at the same time. I played a chapter of Evil Within before playing FIFA and set the lights to static because they just don't work right with a dark game like that. I don't know why they look different colors in the picture.

Any large differences between the dell,lg and Samsung displays? Seems like LG has updated their wide screens this year but no idea of when they will release.

Any of you who bought and love an ultrawide doing any webdesign? I really love the workspace it gives and thinking of getting one, but have huge doubts on photoshop and webdesign having to resize all the time, splitting is not really an option if its not in middle of your screen.. especially on webwork. If anyone can post some of their opinions that is doing webdesign?

Any of you who bought and love an ultrawide doing any webdesign? I really love the workspace it gives and thinking of getting one, but have huge doubts on photoshop and webdesign having to resize all the time, splitting is not really an option if its not in middle of your screen.. especially on webwork. If anyone can post some of their opinions that is doing webdesign?

I do not do web design, but this might help. Windows keyboard shortcuts such as Windows key + Left Arrow key snap the current application to the left half of the display. Similarly, Windows + Right Arrow snaps to the right half. In this way you can have applications quickly and easily sized and shifted so there is no overlap. It's quick and easy.

Dell provides an application (and there are others I believe) that expands on the function of dividing the screen into halves and quadrants. I just use the ones built into Windows 7. I think Windows 10 is more capable in this regard.

I do not do web design, but this might help. Windows keyboard shortcuts such as Windows key + Left Arrow key snap the current application to the left half of the display. Similarly, Windows + Right Arrow snaps to the right half. In this way you can have applications quickly and easily sized and shifted so there is no overlap. It's quick and easy.

Dell provides an application (and there are others I believe) that expands on the function of dividing the screen into halves and quadrants. I just use the ones built into Windows 7. I think Windows 10 is more capable in this regard.

Hey thanks for your input, I know about the Windows + Arrow keys to snap. But when doing photoshop work it would really be nice to have it not full screen and in the middle of the screen, same when doing for example CSS on a web etc.

But found this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-9XdLEfFp4 , think I can do all with that like putting photoshop in middle mails on left and something else on right. Would be so awesome actually.

Think I am sold on an 34" ultrawide :eek: was going to get a 1440p or 4K otherwise for my webdesign work.

Now the question is wich one to get! And I want to use a monitor arm.

Last edited:
Why not consider 4K? Talk about workspace... More horizontal resolution and far more vertical resolution for coding. A standard aspect ratio that the majority of people are going to use (I would think this to be beneficial when doing web design).

I liked my 34" ultrawides but they're kind of a niche display. I don't think they're the way forward, and are probably going to be a fad that remains in a corner of the market. They're OK for productivity and gaming, but I would think 4K would be preferable for any kind of design work (and I happen to prefer them for gaming and general Windows use, too).

There is a thread about the seiki 42'' 4k tv/monitor for $270. you should look it up.
I would pick it up if I did not have a dell

Why not consider 4K? Talk about workspace... More horizontal resolution and far more vertical resolution for coding. A standard aspect ratio that the majority of people are going to use (I would think this to be beneficial when doing web design).

I liked my 34" ultrawides but they're kind of a niche display. I don't think they're the way forward, and are probably going to be a fad that remains in a corner of the market. They're OK for productivity and gaming, but I would think 4K would be preferable for any kind of design work (and I happen to prefer them for gaming and general Windows use, too).

I feel the same as you, I feel the 21:9's are a niche crowd and could be a fad. It could be phased out in a year or two and if this is the case, good luck trying to resell a monitor that is no longer wanted or in demand down the road. You do have to factor this in mind, as IMO it would suck to drop all this money on a 21:9, only to get peanuts for it in a few years when you sell it. 4K monitors are definitely more future proof than 21:9 1080P monitors.

I picked up a 34" LG UM65 a couple days ago (not willing to fork over $500 more for the 1440p version as its way overpriced). Yes the 1440P is the one I wanted but I just couldnt justify the cost. Basically I wanted to see how I find the 21:9 experience to start with. This is someone who uses dual 27" 1080P monitors at work and "had" the same setup at home (but sold the monitors last Spring).

It took a few hours to get used to it but boy its a real pleasure to use. I dont have the desk space to run two monitors and I wanted a cleaner setup and less cords (I run a SP3 so two monitors also requires a dock etc). Which the dock I no longer have, sold it.

Anyways, I found the UM65 great but because I like to sit closer to my monitors than the average person, I found the monitor to give me some eye soreness after a bit. I could see pixels and it wasnt nearly as sharp as my SP3 screen. FYI, normally tiny screens give me eye fatigue but because the SP3 is so sharp, I can use it for hours and not get any soreness. The SP3 is the first device ever that has allowed me to use it for longer periods of time without getting eye soreness. Anyways with the LG, If I move the monitor back, then I find its too far and hard to read so I had to keep it at a certain distance, but I was getting eye fatique.

Honestly, wicked monitor but even at $570CDN (this on a sale price too btw [reg $650 which I would not pay]) for the 2560x1080P version, I find its overpriced. Compared to a dual monitor setup, its not as good of an experience but its good enough in exchange for having no more bezels and less head moving from left to right and vice versa. I would be fine running this monitor at home but not at work because it doesnt offer near as much space as two 27"s do. I obviously prefer no bezels, its just so much nicer, but its at a steep price. I couldnt justify the cost of the monitor, Id say its worth $400CDN max. If this was say a 40" Ultrawide than I could see it being worth the cost.

Seeing how you can get two 27" (of similar quality) IPS LG's for less than the cost of the 1080P 34" LG ultrawide, and even factor in a cheap $60 Diamond USB video adaptor (to run the 2nd monitor) on my SP3 and its still less than the cost of the UM65.

I generally dont like using and keeping stuff that I feel I overpaid on. I like to see value and worth in my products especially when its a $500 monitor.

So yesterday I went back to Best Buy and picked up the Philips 40" 4K for only $130 more. Ive always been on the fence with 4K monitors, thinking "I dont need it....text will be too small etc" But I figured why not try it out, $700CDN for a 4K 40" that has gotten good reviews is too good to at leats not try out.

Brought it home, set it up, wow. Honestly, not even the same experience in terms of desktop real estate as the LG. The LG UM65 went back in the box after an hour. Its not even comparable. I can sit the same distance with this 40" 4K and no eye soreness at all. Its so much sharper, its not even comparable. So much easier on the eyes and the desktop real estate is on a whole other level than the 2560x1080P 34".
How I see it is, for $130 more to go from 2560x1080P 34" to 4K 40". Its a no brainer. Its easily worth that $130 just for the 4K, but the fact its 8" bigger is a bonus. Lots of bang for your bang in this monitor wow. Even if this monitor was a 32" 4K I would probably opt for it over the UM65.

Last edited:

Hey I think you guys are putting me on right track and might indeed be right, I have been reading up for 2 days straight now on either getting a 4K or a 21:9, today I was like ready to pick up the 21:9 ratio but indeed as you are saying its something that probably wont stay for long, sure its nice for someone working constantly on Excel and Word but as a designer / coding point of view its not really that nice. Also been reading up on the curved and photoshop , lines are not really straight etc.

Since I am going to buy a new PC also, I guess I can move up and get myself future proofed and a nice 4K monitor. I have about 1500€ max to spend on the monitor... I seen people saying get the 40" but that will be to big for me. Also asthetics are really important to me.

The thing is also not many webs get designed at that resolution, so I guess some things will look blurry with 4K. Many people their logo's are stuff arent optimized so I dont know what will happen on that aspect.

Also how is the scaling in windows 10 now?

Thanks for input :)

Last edited:
Honestly, I wouldn't really put future proofing or resale value into consideration of a display purchase at this time. OLED has a strong possibility of going mainstream in a few years, and that's going to massively drive down LCD prices, if not replace them entirely. Buy what you think will fit your needs the most.

Reasons I see to still get 21:9:

For gaming, much easier to drive than 4K, a single 980 Ti is NOT enough for 4K res in my opinion. I'm hoping this changes with Pascal though.

If you aren't willing to step up to a 40", using display scaling at lower sizes is probably going to be a must and there's still pretty awful support for it in Windows. I wouldn't want to rely on DPI scaling for web design because most users are not on high DPI displays yet.

You want high refresh rates. Currently, no 4K displays go over 60 Hz but the in the ultrawide space there is the X34 Predator and soon to be released PG348Q

Hey, thanks for input

Yeah thats the thing there is nothing future proof.

It is hard to say what will fit my need as both have downsides...

Basicly I am trying to decide if I wanna pickup one of these LG ultrawide or a 4K monitor... I also thought about just getting the dell U2715h (currently using a qnix 27" that is pretty much broke).

The problem is indeed 4K and windows scaling is still really bad... but its impossible to read anything while not using 150% scaling. And than there is another thing that how will webs look and some stuff is not really designed on 4K so that will bring huge problems with it aswell. Its not like every client sending their logos for a new web that you can say hey let us remake it on 4K for you... there is no reason to do it because almost nobody is using 4K.

I dont care anymore about refresh rates as I dont game much its pure work and watching movies.

On the ultrawide I still stay within 1440p wich I think seems to be the sweetspot still for web development and have alot of room, but the curve might be weird for photoshop and straight lines though it cant be that weird or bad.

Its so hard to choose damnit

x3sphere raised some good points and although I do feel that a single 980Ti is enough to provide an enjoyable 4K gaming experience, it doesn't really matter in your case. I just replaced my SLI 980s with one Ti and am really pleased with the performance. And yeah, I am kind of concerned that text on a 32" 4K would be a bit small, though I was under the impression that scaling had really improved in Win8 and especially 10. I'm still on Win7 and don't use scaling (48" 4K).

As you said, both have pros and cons. For me personally, after having the ultrawides and then going 40"+ 4K I will never go back, but my uses and preferences are likely different than yours, which is why it's great that we have so many options. I hope you are able to decide on something and that you enjoy whatever you end up with! :)

Hey, thanks for input

Yeah thats the thing there is nothing future proof.

It is hard to say what will fit my need as both have downsides...

Basicly I am trying to decide if I wanna pickup one of these LG ultrawide or a 4K monitor... I also thought about just getting the dell U2715h (currently using a qnix 27" that is pretty much broke).

The problem is indeed 4K and windows scaling is still really bad... but its impossible to read anything while not using 150% scaling. And than there is another thing that how will webs look and some stuff is not really designed on 4K so that will bring huge problems with it aswell. Its not like every client sending their logos for a new web that you can say hey let us remake it on 4K for you... there is no reason to do it because almost nobody is using 4K.

I dont care anymore about refresh rates as I dont game much its pure work and watching movies.

On the ultrawide I still stay within 1440p wich I think seems to be the sweetspot still for web development and have alot of room, but the curve might be weird for photoshop and straight lines though it cant be that weird or bad.

Its so hard to choose damnit

This new monitor Im sitting 1.5-2ft from the screen with 100% scaling and I can read the text just fine. Yes its small but its so sharp, it doesnt put any stress on my eyes, whereas sitting the same distance with the 34" LG UM65 did fatigue my eyeballs. I tried windows scaling at 125% but it looked bad and I actually really cherish all the desk top real estate the 100% scaling gives you. Once you experience it, its hard to settle for anything less. Besides, for me, because of my setup and how close I sit to the monitor, 100% is really my best clear cut option. If I go anything bigger, I would get eyeball fatigue cause its not nearly as sharp when scaled 100%.

I would rather put money into a monitor where I can resell down the road. Ever try selling an electronic nobody wants because it was a fad and was phased out? You have to give it away pretty much. Resale value for me is very important.

I feel the same as you, I feel the 21:9's are a niche crowd and could be a fad. It could be phased out in a year or two and if this is the case, good luck trying to resell a monitor that is no longer wanted or in demand down the road. You do have to factor this in mind, as IMO it would suck to drop all this money on a 21:9, only to get peanuts for it in a few years when you sell it. 4K monitors are definitely more future proof than 21:9 1080P monitors.

I picked up a 34" LG UM65 a couple days ago (not willing to fork over $500 more for the 1440p version as its way overpriced). Yes the 1440P is the one I wanted but I just couldnt justify the cost. Basically I wanted to see how I find the 21:9 experience to start with. This is someone who uses dual 27" 1080P monitors at work and "had" the same setup at home (but sold the monitors last Spring).

It took a few hours to get used to it but boy its a real pleasure to use. I dont have the desk space to run two monitors and I wanted a cleaner setup and less cords (I run a SP3 so two monitors also requires a dock etc). Which the dock I no longer have, sold it.

Anyways, I found the UM65 great but because I like to sit closer to my monitors than the average person, I found the monitor to give me some eye soreness after a bit. I could see pixels and it wasnt nearly as sharp as my SP3 screen. FYI, normally tiny screens give me eye fatigue but because the SP3 is so sharp, I can use it for hours and not get any soreness. The SP3 is the first device ever that has allowed me to use it for longer periods of time without getting eye soreness. Anyways with the LG, If I move the monitor back, then I find its too far and hard to read so I had to keep it at a certain distance, but I was getting eye fatique.

Honestly, wicked monitor but even at $570CDN (this on a sale price too btw [reg $650 which I would not pay]) for the 2560x1080P version, I find its overpriced. Compared to a dual monitor setup, its not as good of an experience but its good enough in exchange for having no more bezels and less head moving from left to right and vice versa. I would be fine running this monitor at home but not at work because it doesnt offer near as much space as two 27"s do. I obviously prefer no bezels, its just so much nicer, but its at a steep price. I couldnt justify the cost of the monitor, Id say its worth $400CDN max. If this was say a 40" Ultrawide than I could see it being worth the cost.

Seeing how you can get two 27" (of similar quality) IPS LG's for less than the cost of the 1080P 34" LG ultrawide, and even factor in a cheap $60 Diamond USB video adaptor (to run the 2nd monitor) on my SP3 and its still less than the cost of the UM65.

I generally dont like using and keeping stuff that I feel I overpaid on. I like to see value and worth in my products especially when its a $500 monitor.

So yesterday I went back to Best Buy and picked up the Philips 40" 4K for only $130 more. Ive always been on the fence with 4K monitors, thinking "I dont need it....text will be too small etc" But I figured why not try it out, $700CDN for a 4K 40" that has gotten good reviews is too good to at leats not try out.

Brought it home, set it up, wow. Honestly, not even the same experience in terms of desktop real estate as the LG. The LG UM65 went back in the box after an hour. Its not even comparable. I can sit the same distance with this 40" 4K and no eye soreness at all. Its so much sharper, its not even comparable. So much easier on the eyes and the desktop real estate is on a whole other level than the 2560x1080P 34".
How I see it is, for $130 more to go from 2560x1080P 34" to 4K 40". Its a no brainer. Its easily worth that $130 just for the 4K, but the fact its 8" bigger is a bonus. Lots of bang for your bang in this monitor wow. Even if this monitor was a 32" 4K I would probably opt for it over the UM65.

Really? Your entire argument against 21:9 is based off a shitty 2560x1080 34" display? You made a really bad decision and purchased a terrible monitor. That's completely on you.

Not my fault that I refuse to pay $1100CDN for the 1440p model.

When it's the difference between a good idea and a bad one (and the fix for your biggest issue with it -- lack of desktop real estate, since 3440x1440 is a lot more to work with than 2560x1080) then yes, it's your fault. Also, the Dell and the higher res LG have been on sale many times for around the same price you paid for the UM65.

Well for sure I don't want to go 40" 4K, thats just crazy. You can't work properly on that. Sure for a gaming aspect and movies I can understand, but having a TV on my desk no thanks. I don't think thats the correct way either.

So I am still to decide if I want to get an ultrawide and 4K later , or take a 4K now and have all the problems it has (many programs still dont work correctly, scaling problems it seems not yet all fixed in win 10 according to people).

Or I just take a 1440p if I dont like the ultrawide.

When it's the difference between a good idea and a bad one (and the fix for your biggest issue with it -- lack of desktop real estate, since 3440x1440 is a lot more to work with than 2560x1080) then yes, it's your fault. Also, the Dell and the higher res LG have been on sale many times for around the same price you paid for the UM65.

40" 4K for $699CDN or 34" 21:9 3440x1440P for $1150CDN.

Why would I pay $500+ more for a smaller screen and one that is a lower res?

Even if the LG was the same price, it wouldnt be worth it, let alone paying $500 more is absurd.

Back