~33 GB of missing Hard Drive space

Lyrids

Limp Gawd
I bought a WD 160GB 8MB cache hard drive for my new rig from Newegg about a month ago, and when I formatted it using the Windows XP installation CD it only showed it as 127GB. Now in Windows it's showing the same thing and I wanna know what I can do to get the rest of my space. I've been told to install SP1 but I did that with no results so now I'm asking you guys.

I couldn't find enablebiglba in my registry and I didn't understand the rest of that stuff. Could someone help me out with this?

My head is about to explode, there's so much crap on that page I can't sort out what I actually need to do this. Could some really generous poster just tell me exactly what it is I need to do?

Ok ill try to work you through it what motherboard are you using...

Lunas said:
the reason you were told to run sp1 is because versions previous to xp sp1 had a 127 gig limit sp1 has a 137 gig limit with an option for 48 bit LBA which removes that limit

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

btw 250gig drive showed 232 gig total...

theres no way it can only recognize 127gb, i was using a 200gb drive with windows xp pre sp1 and it worked fine :confused:

lithium726 said:
theres no way it can only recognize 127 gb, i was using a 200gb drive with windows xp pre sp1 and it worked fine :confused:
humm not sure why yours worked... but before sp1 xp didnt support over 137 gig...

and according to that article they nolonger provide the hotfix it is sp2 now...

it shouldnt have a problem with the bios but what version of windows you running 64bit?

Lunas said:
humm not sure why yours worked... but before sp1 xp didnt support over 137 gig...
I would expect he was on a PCI raid or IDE card.

Lyrids said:
No I'm running 32-Bit Windows XP Professional.
well you could get a legal eval version of 64 bit version of windows if you dont want to go sp2

GLSauron said:
I would expect he was on a PCI raid or IDE card.
that could be personaly i have all my hard drives on my Raid my 46 gig 80 gig and 250 gig on my ide i have a lite-on dvd drive 16x and a 4x lite-on Dvd Burner and a ls-120 drive :D

anyone consider its just not showing up in Windows Explorer? :p
maybe because there is no partition and hasnt been formatted?

Start > Run > (type) diskmgmt.msc > Rclick unallocated space, create partition & format

if you insist on growing the current partition you can use diskpart.exe at the commandline
Syntax
How to Use Diskpart.exe to Extend a Data Volume
(note you cant grow a partition that contains the pagefile)
alternately there is Partition Magic
just make a new partition first to verify the space, if you insist, delete it then use partion Magic or diskpart.exe later

Requirements to break the 137GB (128GiB) Barrier

there is no barrier for anything using SCSI drivers,
that includes all ATA RAID, SATA ports, onboard SCSI Controllers and any PCI controller card (SCSI, ATA or FC)

If you're xp install recognized the full 200 it probably has SP1 slipstreamed into it. Every install of xp i've done lately from oem or retail cd's onlt saw the 127 gig limit, and i had to partition the drive out, or partition magic it into one partition after I installed windows, never had to get sp1 though to see drives larger than that.

Ice Czar said:
anyone consider its just not showing up in Windows Explorer? :p
maybe because there is no partition and hasnt been formatted?

Start > Run > (type) diskmgmt.msc > Rclick unallocated space, create partition & format

if you insist on growing the current partition you can use diskpart.exe at the commandline
Syntax
How to Use Diskpart.exe to Extend a Data Volume
(note you cant grow a partition that contains the pagefile)
alternately there is Partition Magic
just make a new partition first to verify the space, if you insist, delete it then use partion Magic or diskpart.exe later

Requirements to break the 137GB (128GiB) Barrier

there is no barrier for anything using SCSI drivers,
that includes all ATA RAID, SATA ports, onboard SCSI Controllers and any PCI controller card (SCSI, ATA or FC)

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!! My head was about to explode reading all the crap that was anything but the actual answer. After you install SP1, the drive doesn't magically resize itself. You shouldn't be creating a system partition this size anyway, so this should never be an issue, but I guess that's besides the point. This is another issue if I could get a dollar for everytime it's posted, I could retire.

Anyway, you want help, here it is. You need to install SP1 so Windows can address the partition over 137 GB. Then you need to use partitioning software to expand your current partition to the desired size. If not, you can reformat and re-install XP on say, a 50 GB partition. Finish installing XP and Sp1...then go the the Management Console and create the second partition to be the rest of the drive...all done.

defakto said:
If you're xp install recognized the full 200 it probably has SP1 slipstreamed into it. Every install of xp i've done lately from oem or retail cd's onlt saw the 127 gig limit, and i had to partition the drive out, or partition magic it into one partition after I installed windows, never had to get sp1 though to see drives larger than that.

it does not have sp1 slipstreamed. i know this for a fact, i have always had to install it after the clean windows install

same difference also uses SCSI drivers
and the 137GB barrier doesnt apply
its only applicable for HDDs on either of the IDE Channels

Back