32V fuse in place of a 12V

Grazehell

2[H]4U
what would happen if I did this given the amperage was the same for both the fuses.

Assuming that both fuses are also rated for the same current nothing would happen. However, is something went astray, the 32V would require almost two times more current before i would blow, and would likely cause the destruction of whatever it's meant to protect.

Whatsisname said:
Assuming that both fuses are also rated for the same current nothing would happen. However, is something went astray, the 32V would require almost two times more current before i would blow, and would likely cause the destruction of whatever it's meant to protect.
No. That doesn't really make any sense. Fuses blow based on current, not power, so a 32V 10 amp fuse is going to blow at 10 amps regardless of voltage. The voltage rating of a fuse has nothing to do with when the fuse blows or how much it can handle. The voltage rating specifies how much voltage the fuse can handle AFTER it has blown. In other words, a 32V fuse can handle anything under 32V, but anything over 32V and there is a chance of the current arcing in the blown fuse, which would certainly cause some problems.

So, to sum it up, a replacement fuse MUST have the same current rating, but it can have the same or higher voltage rating.

jpmkm said:
No. That doesn't really make any sense. Fuses blow based on current, not power, so a 32V 10 amp fuse is going to blow at 10 amps regardless of voltage. The voltage rating of a fuse has nothing to do with when the fuse blows or how much it can handle. The voltage rating specifies how much voltage the fuse can handle AFTER it has blown. In other words, a 32V fuse can handle anything under 32V, but anything over 32V and there is a chance of the current arcing in the blown fuse, which would certainly cause some problems.

So, to sum it up, a replacement fuse MUST have the same current rating, but it can have the same or higher voltage rating.

good that is what I thought great thanx

Back