32GB, Quad Channel, 8 DIMM slots - 4x8GB or 8x4GB

Cyclone

Limp Gawd
Hi All, apologize if this has been asked and answered before - I searched and wasn't able to find anything. Considering a new computer with an X99 motherboard - Quad Channel DDR4 with 8 DIMM slots. I know that 32GB is probably about pointless vs 16GB these days, but let's not get into that discussion.

Assuming 32GB total, running in quad-channel configuration - is there any reason I would prefer one scenario over the other? 4x 8GB DIMMs? or 8x 4GB DIMMs?

Thanks.

4x8gb will allow expansion later on, disregarding the fact that it would probably be unnecessary in X99's lifetime. Less memory sticks also put less stress on the IMC, allowing better overclocking of RAM. Not that that is really necessary either.

Based on the two above points, I would just go with cost as being the primary decision maker.

Given that the price is about the same I'd always prefer one larger module per channel over two small modules per channel for a few reasons

1: it means you can ugprade later without throwing your current memory away.
2: it means that if and when you part out the rig in question years down the line the memory is likely to be more valuable (both in terms of reuse value to yourself and in terms of resale value).
3: it puts less strain on the memory controller meaning potentially higher memory overclocks and less chance of memory related procblem.

Looks like 8GB sticks of DDR4 are also slightly cheaper per GB than 4GB sticks so it's a no brainer.

Just remember with that much RAM to buy a single kit and not mix/match 2 (even of the same model). You could run into issues.

Buy bigger memory sticks versus smaller one. Fewer sticks larger capacity better.. Allows you to move to 32GB if you need too

I wouldn't worry about mis matching memory.. It's not speed but total capacity of memory that is important.

I dont think I'll ever buy 4gb ran again for expansion reasons. 8gb + for me moving forward

I was expecting DDR4 to come minimum 8GB sticks and expecting that 16GB sticks be the new norm..

I'd definitely get 4x8GB modules to leave room for expansion later, if the need for more RAM later on arises.

Just remember with that much RAM to buy a single kit and not mix/match 2 (even of the same model). You could run into issues.

Complete horseshit fud. That's why JEDEC computer memory standards were created. As long as the modules are all the same specs (speed, timings, voltage, features), then there will be no issues. Same reason why almost every OEM on the planet sells both their Enterprise/Business and Consumer memory upgrades as single module kits (even Dell lists only single module kits for their Alienware systems)...the modules come from approved vendors and are guaranteed to meet standards, therefore they don't need to sell them as "matched" (LOL) sets.

Back