32bit host OS, 64bit guest OS. Can I address more than 4gb of memory?

Well this has happened to me, before I turned off UAC and whatever (I think there's another thing you can turn off too, but it's been off for a while now so I forget), I got three yes/no dialog boxes to do a simple windows explorer task. Usually it was one or two but this time I got three.
Alright. Let's go along with this for a bit.
Put the facts where your mouth is.
Please detail how I can get three UAC prompts after doing a single action.

If you do anything other than post these steps, you're nothing more than a FUD-spreading troll. Back up your nonsense claims.

Well, a lot of the time it is. You've probably never tried it. It may not be easier, but most of the time they have more features and therefore, to me, are better.
Again, I'll go along with this once more.
Name for me what's better about Microsoft's third party search for XP versus Vista's built in search.

Ok, not even gonna respond to this, you obviously haven't read my entire posts (or just don't understand them).
No, I read it loud and clear. Your quote was this:
I do not want my system to automatically load things into my memory that it thinks I might use.
Superfetch does it BASED ON ACTIVITY. It's not just guessing.

If you cannot understand this, let me reword the whole Superfetch thing for you.
Would you rather have RAM sitting around doing NOTHING, or RAM pro actively speeding apps up?
Either way, it's being consumed. It's using electricity. It's producing heat. It's slowly dying. Why not put it to use?

Sure, if you misquote anybody I'm sure their credibility could be lost.
Just yours, troll.
You flat out said you've never tested Superfetch, but yet you continue to argue about how it works.

I haven't seen this much Vista FUD since its release.

just to clarify, i meant this to come after DeaconFrost's post

can nobody else see the slander (e.g. "changing words, twisting words..." I have replied to each of your entire threads and quoted without modification, besides these last few since I'm just fed up with no reciprocation.)?

in everything but my last two posts I have used the exact same methods of conversation/debate as the whole SuperFetch thing... and omg, "ask questions about it". really? example #1: what about me asking and asking about the self-tuning features, and asking you to list all your positives about vista?

I'm not even going to try to continue to reason with you. you will have none of it. at this point I would be glad if a mod locked this thread. :rolleyes:

Ok how about this? Vista is great. It's the best Windows ever, no it's the best OS ever out of anything ever made! I'm sure it has no problems and that anybody wanting to use those dinosoar OSes that came out before it are ridiculous and all fall into the same category as having not spent enough time on Vista. Even if they use it every day and it's the only OS they've ever used in their life and they still have any problems with it, they should just use it more.

omg, i'm sick of this. i'm done with calm, reasonable conversations.

What are some examples? I've had one test system at work running Vista x64 without UAC for probably 18 months now, and I haven't had one issue with running software. I'm not arguing with you on this, I'd just like to know some examples.

Honestly I haven't tried in about 4 months, so I couldn't tell you off the top of my head. I worked with vista without UAC for 6 months and got so frustrated with some of the things I was doing I gave up and reinstalled and left it enabled on the second try. Other than just the Adobe installer, there are some games (Mass Effect needs elevation to run), some parts of Cygwin I was having issues with that I remember, various tweaking tools (although some were new at the time). I'd have to try again, and right now I don't have a spare system to do so on.

Sheesh guys back off. It's a freaking OS, not the second coming of the messiah, or even the first! It'll be forgotten in 10 years like everything else, and has advantages and disadvantages.

He came here to ask about 32bit XP and reaching more than 4gb of memory. We've answered that, now let it die.

I worked with vista without UAC for 6 months and got so frustrated with some of the things I was doing I gave up and reinstalled and left it enabled on the second try.
This is the part that had me curious. The issues you described are typical of a system with UAC enabled, not disabled. For example, on my wife's computer, with UAC enabled, she gets prompted for some games, especially some older ones, that require admin access to run. I believe her Sims 2 game prompts her each and everytime, but I might be wrong about the game. If I disable UAC on my system, I don't see any prompts (obviously), but games that require elevated rights to run, just run. To me, you basically described why many people end up disabling UAC, because, depending on the software, they get too many prompts. I vaguely remember reading something about a tool like CoreTemp, or something like it, that required you to right-click, run as admin if you had UAC disabled, but it would run normally with UAC enabled, but that's about it. I'll have to play around on compare my system and my wife's with some software to see how the prompts work.

I am running XP64 (64-bit Guest) through XP32 (32-bit Host). Runs perfectly fine.

But to answer your question, no. You can't allocate 4GB because VMWare will only be able to use as much RAM as could be allocated for your 32-bit Host system. The rest is self-explanatory.

This is the part that had me curious. The issues you described are typical of a system with UAC enabled, not disabled. For example, on my wife's computer, with UAC enabled, she gets prompted for some games, especially some older ones, that require admin access to run. I believe her Sims 2 game prompts her each and everytime, but I might be wrong about the game. If I disable UAC on my system, I don't see any prompts (obviously), but games that require elevated rights to run, just run. To me, you basically described why many people end up disabling UAC, because, depending on the software, they get too many prompts. I vaguely remember reading something about a tool like CoreTemp, or something like it, that required you to right-click, run as admin if you had UAC disabled, but it would run normally with UAC enabled, but that's about it. I'll have to play around on compare my system and my wife's with some software to see how the prompts work.

It wouldn't prompt, it simply wouldn't ~run~ or run right. Things would error out, and some required you to run them with right-click run-as-admin, and even then there were some system tools that weren't happy with it. Maybe they changed it, I don't know - I just use vista for gaming, so I ignore UAC.

For instance, if you don't right click you can't run ifconfig from the command line (or couldn't). Can't edit any files with a .cfg or .ini without running notepad as admin.

There are just some things that are silly and annoying about it, and even then a lot of stuff under the hood that I can't stand. But, the UI is growing on me, and there are some things that are a lot better (wireless networking!).

I am running XP64 (64-bit Guest) through XP32 (32-bit Host). Runs perfectly fine.

But to answer your question, no. You can't allocate 4GB because VMWare will only be able to use as much RAM as could be allocated for your 32-bit Host system. The rest is self-explanatory.

Not true.

Back