327.23 WHQL drivers still unstable

dparm

Limp Gawd
Is anyone else seeing poor stability even with 327.23? I am still getting the same random hangs and BSODs in Chrome.

Event Viewer shows the same event ID 14 ("unknown") from nvlddmkm, \Device\Video5 !0702(1a58). This is the Timeout Detection and Recovery bug, also known as TDR.

Is NVIDIA still dropping the ball on fixing this? It's the same problem I've had for months now on every version after 314.22, and even with clean removals of the old driver and reinstalling the new version, it persists. And no, no OC, card isn't overheating, PSU is actually brand new and it happened on the old one too.

Last edited:
There are many reasons for TDR, including buggy drivers, bad cpu overclock, bad memory overclock, bad gpu/vram overclock, general hw issues, and even malware.

Try underclocking various components. Perhaps something is marginal.

I see you have a 560 card ... those were plagued with TDRs ... I had one, POS card!!!!

No issues here on my machine and neither on my brothers machine with Nvidia GPU.. you could try reinstalling, making sure to select "make a correct install" wich delete all the customized options but work fine..

are you high oc'd in gpu + cpu?

Nothing in the system is overclocked, and it's rock-solid other than this. I'm still fairly certain it's the shit NVIDIA drivers. I've rolled back to 314.22 and not a single problem.

Nothing in the system is overclocked, and it's rock-solid other than this. I'm still fairly certain it's the shit NVIDIA drivers. I've rolled back to 314.22 and not a single problem.

Yes, with those 560 cards, there were drivers that worked "fine" and other drivers that TDR all day long. And yes the TDRs are back on our machine with the 560 with recent drivers. I have a card on order to replace it already. Someone got their hands on two 560 cards, one that crashed and one that didn't. All they could see was that the VRM chips were different, but who knows if that had anything to do with it. We went through the whole hoopla with ManuelG and sending minidumps. Our system was even underclocked and over-voltaged including the graphics card! There is just "something wrong" with it.

The GF104 and GF114 based cards all seem to have issues with drivers over 314.22. My wifes PC is being dumb with newer drivers aswell. What appears to be happening to me is flash content in firefox/chrome isn't getting the card to clock up, and thus not having the HP to render it. It then TDR recovers, and will be fine for a few minutes. This only seems to happen when browsing though. The drivers work fine otherwise as far as I can tell.

Seems like nVidia is becoming the ones with shitty drivers. Bad time for that to be happening.. I'm in the market for a new video card and every day an R9 280X is looking better and better.

I tried upgrading my laptop drivers with the last set of nVidia drivers and had all kinds of issues and had to roll back.. Can't imagine getting a new card for $430 and having all kinds of issues.

Maybe it's just he luck of the draw but I installed a GTX 560 2GB into a client's machine with 326.80 drivers and it works perfectly in Chrome and other applications they use; including the pen video camera system.

check your memory using memtest.. you could possibly have a stick starting to go bad.

I just got a new 780 (EVGA, with the reference titan cooler), and decided to give these latest drivers a whirl, despite not much info out there on them, but they've been fairly stable for me and I'm at "stock" (Superclocked version though) speeds.

For whatever that's worth.

I'd check power pull and voltages, sometimes drivers mess with them. I recall a while back having to up the voltage on a certain set of nvidia drivers, otherwise my system would crash frequently.

331.40 is a beta.

The Microsoft "fix" for TDR is erased after a reboot, BTW.

Never had any major issue with using a beta myself. The TDR fix should not reset, if it does you can also edit via the registry, which is all this fix does for you.

I can confirm to you that the Chrome issue was fixed in a later beta driver and newer Chrome build.

Last edited:
Ran it for 12 hours straight, not a single problem.

MemTest is weak sauce these days. Prime95 large amounts of memory, but your system needs to be set up to handle the full load. I'm guessing that it is not your problem though. You can game for hours fine right, and then boom it tanks at the desktop probably, browsing the web.

MemTest is weak sauce these days. Prime95 large amounts of memory, but your system needs to be set up to handle the full load. I'm guessing that it is not your problem though. You can game for hours fine right, and then boom it tanks at the desktop probably, browsing the web.

Bingo. Just played ME3 for two hours last night and not a single problem, but I exit the game and hop on eBay and it's barely able to stay running.

Thought I was done with BSOD's with my rig but got caught up with one yesterday night using Windows Media Center and Firefox. I particularly was dragging the firefox scrollbar to the top at newegg's website.

Heres what WhoCrashed tells me
Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 10/15/2013 2:12:29 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\101413-4265-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms1.sys (0xFFFFF8800359D7BE)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFEA800D381E10, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8800359D7BE)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics MMS
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

In the mean time I disabled Hardware Acceleration in Firefox and cannot say if this will fix it or not yet.

Edit: Using firefox 24 and Nvidia 327.23 WHQL

Bingo. Just played ME3 for two hours last night and not a single problem, but I exit the game and hop on eBay and it's barely able to stay running.

Hahaha, that's exactly my Dad's problem! (The one with the 560.) He cruises ebay and shazbot! tdrs.

@RogueTrip -- TDR means recovery ... BSOD is not a recovery. :D bsod, I think you got something else going on in overclock land.

Hahaha, that's exactly my Dad's problem! (The one with the 560.) He cruises ebay and shazbot! tdrs.

@RogueTrip -- TDR means recovery ... BSOD is not a recovery. :D bsod, I think you got something else going on in overclock land.

I'm running the 331.40 betas, which fixed the one issue that I had (Flash misbehavior - primarily in Google Chrome, but also in the DC Universe Online native launcher; oddly enough, the Steam launcher didn't exhibit that misbehavior) - however, the BSODs I have had (WHEA_UNCORRECTIBLE_ERROR) are due to PCI-bus issues, which is one reason I am looking at the Sound Blaster Z and Zx (my X-Fi XtrremeGamer is PCI, and is my only PCI-bus anything; with the Z or Zx being PCI-E x1, I can get rid of the contention issues I am having. (No - I am NOT blaming the issues on the nV GPU, because they predate it.)

I'm running the 331.40 betas, which fixed the one issue that I had (Flash misbehavior - primarily in Google Chrome, but also in the DC Universe Online native launcher; oddly enough, the Steam launcher didn't exhibit that misbehavior) - however, the BSODs I have had (WHEA_UNCORRECTIBLE_ERROR) are due to PCI-bus issues, which is one reason I am looking at the Sound Blaster Z and Zx (my X-Fi XtrremeGamer is PCI, and is my only PCI-bus anything; with the Z or Zx being PCI-E x1, I can get rid of the contention issues I am having. (No - I am NOT blaming the issues on the nV GPU, because they predate it.)

That issue with eBay and other webs, aren't due to the Driver of the Graphic card, are due to some glitches in google chrome, this have been reported looooooongtime ago and have something related to the pre-cache resources of google chrome and certain webs, in my country are a local partner of eBay(Mercadolibre.com.ve) wich show the same behavior as eBay and others, its a issue even with certain forums and webpages..

and as also the guy above mentionet, its partially fixed with the lastest beta of google chrome.

Is anyone else seeing poor stability even with 327.23? I am still getting the same random hangs and BSODs in Chrome.

Event Viewer shows the same event ID 14 ("unknown") from nvlddmkm, \Device\Video5 !0702(1a58). This is the Timeout Detection and Recovery bug, also known as TDR.

Is NVIDIA still dropping the ball on fixing this? It's the same problem I've had for months now on every version after 314.22, and even with clean removals of the old driver and reinstalling the new version, it persists. And no, no OC, card isn't overheating, PSU is actually brand new and it happened on the old one too.

1. Uninstall any flashplayer/adobe product from control panel.

2. Uninstall Chrome.

3. Uninstall the leftovers, follow this guide follow everything is stated.

4. Run ccleaner - registry cleaner, 2 times in a row - restart.

5. Install Chrome.

6. Do not use any other browser, other then Chrome to watch videos/youtube you can surf with them, but do not install flashplayer AT ALL. Chrome has one built in, your good with it.

7. At last, download one version older video drivers, uninstall current, restart. Start the new ones, chose custom, uninstall 3D/Geforce experience/audio part of the drivers, and press perform clean install, after the installation is done, restart one more time even if it doesen't promt you to do so.

You are done.

P.S. This fix is also higly recommended for anyone who is having browser crashes - flashplayer issues. it solves the problem in 90% of the situations, ive had war intense flashplayer problems like 4 years, because i used many browsers (flashplayer 2 versions) and finally i found a solution!

If this does not fix your problem, you got

1. Faulty PSU
2. Faulty GPU
3. Other hardware based problems!

Up, in case you didn't saw the quite possible fix regarding browser freezing..

I stayed with 314.22 since they were released in March as I heard horror stories about every driver since but I recently tried out the latest 327.23 drivers and they seem fine...the new 330 branch drivers should be released this week in anticipation of the new Batman game plus Battlefield 4

This fucking problem still exists on 331.65 (and Chrome 30.0.xxxx). Unbelievable. I used to be a pretty die-hard NVIDIA fan but this is just ridiculous. And yes, I have the value of 8 in the registry for TdrDelay, the built-in Flash, and no GeForce experience or 3D crap installed. I'm *this close* to selling this fucking thing on eBay and moving to an ATI card.

This fucking problem still exists on 331.65 (and Chrome 30.0.xxxx). Unbelievable. I used to be a pretty die-hard NVIDIA fan but this is just ridiculous. And yes, I have the value of 8 in the registry for TdrDelay, the built-in Flash, and no GeForce experience or 3D crap installed. I'm *this close* to selling this fucking thing on eBay and moving to an ATI card.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040292153&postcount=20

Did you see this?

never had any of these issues on two comps with various Nvidia cards and various drivers.

I'd stick with the 314.22 drivers unless you see some significant performance gains with the latest drivers. I doubt NVIDIA is doing much optimizing for GTX 5xx and older cards.

I use those drivers on my main system and use Chrome (Chromium) as my primary browser, and I'm not having any kind of instability.

To those who are not having issues: are you using a 500-series card? It only seems to hit those.

To those who are not having issues: are you using a 500-series card? It only seems to hit those.

if that's the way of NVidia telling people to buy new video cards I would have to say they got a lot of nerve.

I had issues with 331.65 myself, TDR every 10 mins or so.... I'm back on ironically 327.23 and solid.

I have same problem as OP and many others. I would just sell my 560ti but with an issue like this, it makes it unsellable. I tried reaching out to NV but I haven't gotten any word back. I just tried every WHQL driver after 314.22 and they all have varying levels of instability.

BF4 refuses to start until I update my drivers when I use the older 314.22 ones. So I'm kinda stuck.

Rocking SLI 560ti 1GB cards with 331.65 drivers and no issues. Not a single crash. Then again my cards never really crashed to begin with. Maybe luck of the draw when I purchased them. I also did a fresh install of Win7 when I installed the 331.65 drivers.

Back