320mb GTS vs 640mb according to an idiot

Shadowex3

Weaksauce
The post that started it all
I got my 320MB 8800 for $150 from someone who was upgrading to the Ultra. I guess no one told him the Ultra wasn't that big of a jump for the extra like, 500 bucks. Also, not bragging, just merely pointing this out for anyone who might buy an 8800 in the near future, the 320mb actually outperforms the 640 by a fair bit. PS you'd be an idiot to buy a GTS rather than a GT at this point.

after my reply that they're the same card except for the amount of ram and the 640mb prolly get better binned chips.

And yet evidence would suggest otherwise. That is if you play games at less than a 24" monitor and 4x AA, which most people don't. As such, as far as most people are concerned (or just me, doesn't really matter, always look out for #1), the 320mb is a better buy.

after my response debunking that another guy comes in

I (ed: censored) hate people like you, who think that virtual memory is the be-all end-all of modern video cards. Why do you think they call it virtual memory? Because it's not real. Just look at the calendar, man -- it's not 2004! Also with the introduction of DX10 the appreciation factor on these video cards is vanishingly small (and smaller with every release), so I don't understand how you could possibly justify that statement either. Game companies will be game companies, but that's no basis to conclude that the cards are artificially limited.

so you just give me negative karma and don't respond to my argument? Look, have you ever heard of not shooting the messenger?

I'm obviously right, it's plain for everyone too see on the specs: the virtual memory on the 660's chipset cannot support the double-bypass requested by DX10, hence the inferiority. It tests well because of its real memory reserves and the bandwidth the massive amounts of functional RAM-space that that allows it to have

The post that started it all
I got my 320MB 8800 for $150 from someone who was upgrading to the Ultra. I guess no one told him the Ultra wasn't that big of a jump for the extra like, 500 bucks. Also, not bragging, just merely pointing this out for anyone who might buy an 8800 in the near future, the 320mb actually outperforms the 640 by a fair bit. PS you'd be an idiot to buy a GTS rather than a GT at this point.

after my reply that they're the same card except for the amount of ram and the 640mb prolly get better binned chips.

And yet evidence would suggest otherwise. That is if you play games at less than a 24" monitor and 4x AA, which most people don't. As such, as far as most people are concerned (or just me, doesn't really matter, always look out for #1), the 320mb is a better buy.

after my response debunking that (he had a link to the 320mb outperforming a 640mb by ~5 fps at 1280x1024) another guy comes in

I (ed: censored) hate people like you, who think that virtual memory is the be-all end-all of modern video cards. Why do you think they call it virtual memory? Because it's not real. Just look at the calendar, man -- it's not 2004! Also with the introduction of DX10 the appreciation factor on these video cards is vanishingly small (and smaller with every release), so I don't understand how you could possibly justify that statement either. Game companies will be game companies, but that's no basis to conclude that the cards are artificially limited.

so you just give me negative karma and don't respond to my argument? Look, have you ever heard of not shooting the messenger?

I'm obviously right, it's plain for everyone too see on the specs: the virtual memory on the 660's chipset cannot support the double-bypass requested by DX10, hence the inferiority. It tests well because of its real memory reserves and the bandwidth the massive amounts of functional RAM-space that that allows it to have

I'm not making this up, two people on another forum is actually arguing with me about how the 320mb is inherently superior to the 640mb GTS.

Commence sensless thread now.

Im hoping everyone here is informed enough to know whats what

kill this thread plz :)

Someone who shall remain nameless, but is a lawyer, had a client who was hit by a car and lost his ability to use anything from the waste down. There were dozens of witness's a bunch of which gave the police their number stating that they will testify that it was entirely the drivers fault. Years went by of dicking around in court and the lawyer misplaced and lost the phone numbers of these witnesses. They ended up settling for less then a tenth of what they could have gotten.

There are idiots everywhere, even some with some big job titles.

you just met a couple on [H].

oh and this is total bullshit btw:
...the virtual memory on the 660's chipset cannot support the double-bypass requested by DX10, hence the inferiority. It tests well because of its real memory reserves and the bandwidth the massive amounts of functional RAM-space that that allows it to have"

this guy doesn't know what API stands for.

edit: and dudeyourlame, I like senseless threads, everyone has to rant somewhere.

ohgodwhycliklink.jpg

What is the point of this post? did you get banned wherever it took place and want to spread the drama over here?

Enjoy the humor of a man talking about a videocard needing a double-bypass for it's virtual memory to perform well.

What is the point of this post? did you get banned wherever it took place and want to spread the drama over here?

We just like to piss you off. ;)

LOL @ 320MB being better than 640MB. Maybe one can clock the 320MB card faster, but it depends on the quality of the cards being used and the quality of the memory chips as well.

But I doubt the poster of those comments knows that.

Enjoy the humor of a man talking about a videocard needing a double-bypass for it's virtual memory to perform well.

You know whats really funny here? The guy who sings up on a site just to vent about an argument he had on another site.

Can you post a link to the original discussion. Looks like I could get couple a laughs from there.

the 8800GTS 640MB is faster then the 320MB when using AA on any sinze monitor.. it also depend's on the game.. some game's you cant tell much but other's the 640MB is much faster.. it would be stupid to buy the 320MB GTS..

the 8800GTS 640MB is faster then the 320MB when using AA on any sinze monitor.. it also depend's on the game.. some game's you cant tell much but other's the 640MB is much faster.. it would be stupid to buy the 320MB GTS..

Just because the 640 is faster dont make it stupid to buy a 320. Whats stupid is buying either right now at retail price and thats just becase of the 8800GT/3800 series being so cheap.

Just because the 640 is faster dont make it stupid to buy a 320. Whats stupid is buying either right now at retail price and thats just becase of the 8800GT/3800 series being so cheap.

QFT.

I saved about 90-100$ back when I purchased the card over the 640mb. What's stupid? I saved money for college instead of using 4aa more. :rolleyes:

>>I (ed: censored) hate people like you, who think that virtual memory is the be-all end-all of modern video cards. Why do you think they call it virtual memory? Because it's not real. Just look at the calendar, man -- it's not 2004!

What happened to the drooling tard smiley?

Virtual memory is always real memory, but it may not be physical memory chips. Virtual memory is usually hard drive space paged in and out of main system RAM. No matter the method of physical storage, it's all "real". The guy makes virtual memory sound like it's totally imaginary and doesn't exist. It wouldn't be usable or make much sense to create something that doesn't exist. :)

Aside from that, the memory on the video cards IS physical memory, it has nothing to do with virtual memory at all.
The "v" in vmem is for video not virtual. :rolleyes: :D

It get's funnier the dumber he gets. Btw he doesn't like you guys (ohnos, internet dissaproval!)

you think I'm going take advice a bunch of idiots on some unknown internet website? Who's even heard of [Hard]wares or whatever the **** website you're talking about?

If you're not going to respond to my argument directly, fine, but don't go running to your little friends so they can make up a story to back you up. Seriously, the 320 is faster because it uses a much more uncomplicated chipset, the smaller size and smaller power use reduces heat generation (and increases loss in case that wasn't obvious, it probably wasn't to you) and that as we all know increases speed exponentially. It's in the laws of physics (ed: this was a link to wikipedia). I'll spell it out for you: the less-cluttered nature of the the board causes less electrical and radio interference generation (as well as the aforementioned heat). When these obvious benefits are combined with the more efficient drivers (they have to handle half as many bits, so they're more efficient and easier for the computer to handle), it should be clear to anyone that it is a superior card.

Also I read that thing about non-hertzian frequencies, and you obviously don't know anything, because that has nothing to do with video cards at all

>>I (ed: censored) hate people like you, who think that virtual memory is the be-all end-all of modern video cards. Why do you think they call it virtual memory? Because it's not real. Just look at the calendar, man -- it's not 2004!

What happened to the drooling tard smiley?

Virtual memory is always real memory, but it may not be physical memory chips. Virtual memory is usually hard drive space paged in and out of main system RAM. No matter the method of physical storage, it's all "real". The guy makes virtual memory sound like it's totally imaginary and doesn't exist. It wouldn't be usable or make much sense to create something that doesn't exist. :)

Aside from that, the memory on the video cards IS physical memory, it has nothing to do with virtual memory at all.
The "v" in vmem is for video not virtual. :rolleyes: :D

What the hell are you talking about? virtual memory is imaginary it sits right next to the invisible flux capacitor :rolleyes: everybody knows this.

Quote: "you think . . . with video cards at all"

Holy Crap!! This guy has got to be pulling someones chain. He CAN'T be that stupid, can he?

you think I'm going take advice a bunch of idiots on some unknown internet website? Who's even heard of [Hard]wares or whatever the **** website you're talking about?

If you're not going to respond to my argument directly, fine, but don't go running to your little friends so they can make up a story to back you up. Seriously, the 320 is faster because it uses a much more uncomplicated chipset, the smaller size and smaller power use reduces heat generation (and increases loss in case that wasn't obvious, it probably wasn't to you) and that as we all know increases speed exponentially. It's in the laws of physics (ed: this was a link to wikipedia). I'll spell it out for you: the less-cluttered nature of the the board causes less electrical and radio interference generation (as well as the aforementioned heat). When these obvious benefits are combined with the more efficient drivers (they have to handle half as many bits, so they're more efficient and easier for the computer to handle), it should be clear to anyone that it is a superior card.

Also I read that thing about non-hertzian frequencies, and you obviously don't know anything, because that has nothing to do with video cards at all

I think my intelligence just decreased. Link to the thread please, I think it's about time for a little [H]ardforum smackdown :D.

Crap.
The amount of lose in this thread nearly crashed my browser.

By the way, the 320MB and virtual memory people are all wrong. And the primary source of lose. Have a nice day.

The guy double posted in one poast! Wow! I intentionally wrote "poast", you spelling Nazi!

Back