3200x1200 wallpaer cars or chix?

slk32

Limp Gawd
well i upgraded to 2x 2001fp's and am having trouble finding wallpaper for cars/chix

or if some one could make some. that would be awsome. looking for waller for the mercedes slk55/sl500 or just any benz.

thanks. i looked at all the usal places like deviantART but the selection is very limited. not a graphix guy so can't make any ;(

hmmm... i think i can help.

one of my dad's friends has this old mercedes with absolutely everything either duct-taped on, recently replaced, not working, or some combination of the past 3. i think he still has the old heap. funny thing is, it looks pretty good.

i'll see if my pop can run out and snap off a pic at the right resolution (he's a graphic artist) so i can get it to you.

72dpi is meaningless for images on a screen :rolleyes:

Images that low rise wouldn't cut it for my 19" much less what this guy is talking about. The fact is my man you are going to have a tough time finding much that will fit that screen real estate. Because most images rarely exceed 1600x1200, your best bet is to stick with scanned images as they tend to be larger. There are plenty of scanners out there doing every chick under the sun but most images are scanned around 1600x1200 or some times higher. So maybe one chick the right and one left. A man has to have a choices right? Or simply scan your own stuff and scale it to fit.

Places to Start
http://iiai.agreatsite.com/
http://p212.ezboard.com/bhbsgrafix38611
http://www.batesmotel.de.vu/
http://painscans.cjb.net/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Black_Jack_Skanz/

DIY
http://www.scantips.com/

how bout this picture i took of an elise at an autocross yesterday? my camera takes at 3000x2000 but i cropped it to fit right. left some room on the sides for icons so the pic doesn't get cluttered. the pic can actually be wider than this (i resized the width down to 2750), but then you'd have to take more off the height to compensate and i wasn't sure that was a good idea. there's a little more black space on the bottom than on the top(30px more) to compensate for the start menu

here's the small version to look at:
elisewidesmall.jpg

here's the large bmp version to download (please right click, save as. 3mb)
http://s89429015.onlinehome.us/carpics/eliselarge/elisewidelarge.bmp

ug_rulz_all said:
:rolleyes: why do bmp's even exist?

so that there's no jpeg compression? the image was recorded in raw format so it wasn't like i was bmp'ing a jpeg image. i figured i'd keep the workflow uncompressed.

also, depending on the version of windows he's running, a jpeg might take more available resources to display as a background.

why don't you like bmp?

:rolleyes: i don't know cuz i'm not ug, (obviously) but i can make a few guesses:

- bmp's are much bigger than jpeg's. they have no compression whatsoever.

- bmp's are what dos used. the thing in computers is newer, faster, better, so something left over from dos is not nearly as desireable as something cool and new.

- bmp's are generally of lower quality than jpeg's because they are used less.

WTF?

bitmap = lossless
jpeg = lossy

unless my english is totally fucked i think that loss*less* would be better than lossy

yea i'm a photo noob and I know that bmps are better image quality than jpgs most of the time... you've gotta have something for all that extra space...
(what versions of windows prefer bmp's as wallpaper over jpg?)

thnx for the nice pic. Do you have the color version by any chance? :p

dualblade said:
how bout this picture i took of an elise at an autocross yesterday? my camera takes at 3000x2000 but i cropped it to fit right. left some room on the sides for icons so the pic doesn't get cluttered. the pic can actually be wider than this (i resized the width down to 2750), but then you'd have to take more off the height to compensate and i wasn't sure that was a good idea. there's a little more black space on the bottom than on the top(30px more) to compensate for the start menu

here's the small version to look at:
elisewidesmall.jpg

here's the large bmp version to download (please right click, save as. 3mb)
http://s89429015.onlinehome.us/carpics/eliselarge/elisewidelarge.bmp

png compression is 100% lossless, therefore making bmp practically obsolete. you can divide that filesize several-fold and not notice ANY difference at all

starhawk said:
:p ok, it's official now: bmp=crap.

Not quite ... especially not the way you're reasoning.

Your proposition: old → crap
A logical fallacy since it is easy to show many exceptions that invalidate your proposition.
Our Earth is roughly 4.5 billion years old, and your by your reasoning crap, I can promise
you that it's even though Earth sucks sometimes, its not all bad! :D

One day you will be old (let us assume that you consider 50 to be old), which would mean
that on your fiftieth birthday you should shuffle off this mortal coil, since by your reasoning
you are now crap.

Converse: crap → old
If I look at some of the crap being sold these days in stores all over the crappy old planet,
I have to deduce by your reasoning that Neanderthals made the Nikes my friend bought.
If you see the crap on TV these days you'd think we were watching Jurassic Springer.

Inverse: new → great
Getting new gadgets (like mp3 players, gps cards etc,) to play with is great, but more
often than not these gadgets turn out to be utter crap. This is especially true in IT where
'bleeding edge technology' means that you bleed to make it run smoothly.

Contrapositive: great → new
Isaac Newton, Carl Friedrich Gauss and Albert Einstein are among the greatest scientific
minds, they must all still be teenagers. This 1995 Cabernet Sauvignon is truly a great
wine, I guess they got the label wrong, it must be a 2004 at least!

JPEGs are great for continuous tone images i.e. images that do not have many areas
of high contrast, since the discreet cosine transform algorithm battles with complex areas
of high contrast. GIFs are great for small, low chromatic range images with large areas of
similar colour (Lempel-Ziff-Walsh compression is non-lossy and therefore does not botch
up contrast). PNGs also use LZW compression, the key difference being that they offer
not one but four 8-bit channels, and therefore 24-bit color and 8-bit alpha.

The issue here is not so much quality, as it is performance. BMPs are uncompressed
and therefore not affected by quality, PNGs will also show no image degradation, however,
they require decompression. This can mean one of two things:

1. The PNG has to be decompressed every time it is displayed (and since it's a desktop
image, it will be displayed alot).
2. The PNG will be decompressed into memory and simply be dumped from memory every
time the image is required. In which case it is pointless to compress the image. *

* Not quite, since the image still resides on the hard-drive where it is obviously a plus if one can save a megabyte
or two (especially at such high resolutions)! Also transporting the wallpaper over the Internet is a tad painful in BMP. ;)

:D whoops. guess the ol' think box on me shoulders needs an sp1... hehe.

i get your point tho, and it is valid. consider me thoroughly corrected. what's ironic is that i have a thing for old comps... hehe i even know how to program in qbasic... last officially distributed by ms in 95 :eek:

Rogue4mula said:
(what versions of windows prefer bmp's as wallpaper over jpg?)
Good question. I still use bitmaps for my backgrounds on 2k and XP as an old habit because in the 98 days using a jpg meant using active desktop which meant crash city.

GLSauron: thanks for the shweet link.

back to the subject people. post the links

thanks

I am about to buy one of the 20 inch Dell LCDs. was wondering hows it treating ya? satisfied with gameing and video watching on it?

thnx for any info u can provide.

yea it's awsome i sell them on ebay brand new. if you want a 2001fp i can sell you a brand new one for $649 shipped.

yeah on my p910s i played ffxi over 2 screens, one of the few games that can do that

influx said:
Thats a really nice picture dualblade, do you have anymore?

this pic doesn't lend itself to mega wide format, but it's a nice noses pic. took this one today. soon (probably some time this week) i will put up a gallery of my better racing/automotive pics. i'll post the link when it's in place

noses.jpg

Hyperion I just had to say that you are SUCH a dork!

I love it, keep up the good work :D

I think this thread needs a good old fasion 13B Rotary Turbo photo but I dont see that happening

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
those are all awesome backgrounds. Too bad they have the stupid icons and stuff on them :(

Read the text, you can mail the guy and get them

anyways.. http://wallpaper.deviantart.com/dualdisplay/ is a good place to start, even if the site is f**king slow

as for the filetype discussion, lossless compression all the way, bmp, png and tiff (I think).. rared/zipped bmps if you want to save some bandwidth.. and active desktop is used in win2k too isnt it? even if it isnt half as unstable..

Back