3200 or 3733 for upcoming Zen 2?

You can always slap some heatspreaders on the naked Samsungs :) I will probably do just that (and send 1.4v+ through em)

But for Ryzen 3000 series I would suggest 3600 over 3200 -- even with lower timings because the higher your ram clock the higher the IF clock and that helps a lot. I'd shoot for 3600 first and foremost and then pull in the timings if possible but that would be secondary.

i want to see up to this day who would notice the difference between those ramspeeds in games and or everyday workloads .
if you want to benchmark and numbers mean anything to you should really do it :D

i want to see up to this day who would notice the difference between those ramspeeds in games and or everyday workloads .
if you want to benchmark and numbers mean anything to you should really do it :D

Well you're right it's not a HUGE difference, but it's definitely measureable. Check this out: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-zen-2-memory-performance-scaling-benchmark/ and this: https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1728878-ryzen-3000-memory-fabric-x370-x470-x570.html

Look at it from the perspective that say a Ryzen 3900X is still too slow, meaning that every little bit counts. Obviously that's relative but there are certainly still applications that would run best on AMD and still not run fast enough.

Yet another review that doesn't even show timings let alone sub timings and there effect on the overall latency but here they are seeing about 5% increase in CPU performance going from 3000 to 3600 in games.
That is about what you would expect to see from overclocking the CPU adding up to about 10% increase in CPU performance when put together.

You can always slap some heatspreaders on the naked Samsungs :) I will probably do just that (and send 1.4v+ through em)

But for Ryzen 3000 series I would suggest 3600 over 3200 -- even with lower timings because the higher your ram clock the higher the IF clock and that helps a lot. I'd shoot for 3600 first and foremost and then pull in the timings if possible but that would be secondary.

I ended up going with this https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232668

G.Skill B Die 4000 CAS 19. Hopefully, it will run tighter timings at 3600 or I just wasted some serious money. What's funny is everyone all over the Internet is saying just pick up some cheap 3600 16 CAS B Dies. Good luck finding it.

I could have saved $75 with 3200 CAS 14 and OC'd it.

I ended up going with this https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232668

G.Skill B Die 4000 CAS 19. Hopefully, it will run tighter timings at 3600 or I just wasted some serious money. What's funny is everyone all over the Internet is saying just pick up some cheap 3600 16 CAS B Dies. Good luck finding it.

Man, the RGB version came back into stock today. Not worth returning the black though I guess. Restocking fee plus $25 more.

Geez that stuff is literally twice the price of the 32GB Samsung DIMMs! I'm just not down with spending $600 on ram right now. I mean, if I was, I'd buy 128GB of the 32GB DIMMs, lol.

Yet another review that doesn't even show timings let alone sub timings and there effect on the overall latency but here they are seeing about 5% increase in CPU performance going from 3000 to 3600 in games.
That is about what you would expect to see from overclocking the CPU adding up to about 10% increase in CPU performance when put together.

The thing I don't like about that is the statement: "All tests are done at 1080P with max settings on a 2080 Ti to prevent GPU bottlenecking." What? From my own testing, I found that the GPU is still doing a fair amount of work in some games unless you drop the quality settings to the floor. That's fine, as that's a bit more real world but it doesn't isolate the CPU. The gain in FPS is interesting though. Generally, I wouldn't have thought the increases would be as large as they are there.

Last edited:
Geez that stuff is literally twice the price of the 32GB Samsung DIMMs! I'm just not down with spending $600 on ram right now. I mean, if I was, I'd buy 128GB of the 32GB DIMMs, lol.

I'm splurging a bit. (y) I haven't upgraded in so long, I said screw it. When I upgraded from 8 GB to 16 GB in my current rig, I always regretted that I bought DDR3 1600 instead of 2133. I know there are limited use cases where 2133 with loose timings is faster than 1600, but whatever. I said I was not going to compromise this time.

I've been thinking of upgrading for a couple of years and reading about B DIES for a while and decided that's what I want. I could have spent half what I did on this RAM and still had really good stuff.

Those 32 GB UDIMMS look neat, but you're going to have no guarantee on clocks, not that you will on B DIES either, but they seem to be more of a known quantity. I don't think I need more than 32GB anyway. Famous last words, huh. I'll be interested to see what you can get out of those UDIMMS though. I hope you have as good of luck as buildzoid and that you can rub it in my face and call me an idiot when you have them running the same speed as what I can get.:D

I'm splurging a bit. (y) I haven't upgraded in so long, I said screw it. When I upgraded from 8 GB to 16 GB in my current rig, I always regretted that I bought DDR3 1600 instead of 2133. I know there are limited use cases where 2133 with loose timings is faster than 1600, but whatever. I said I was not going to compromise this time.

I've been thinking of upgrading for a couple of years and reading about B DIES for a while and decided that's what I want. I could have spent half what I did on this RAM and still had really good stuff.

Those 32 GB UDIMMS look neat, but you're going to have no guarantee on clocks, not that you will on B DIES either, but they seem to be more of a known quantity. I don't think I need more than 32GB anyway. Famous last words, huh. I'll be interested to see what you can get out of those UDIMMS though. I hope you have as good of luck as buildzoid and that you can rub it in my face and call me an idiot when you have them running the same speed as what I can get.:D

Yeah, I hope I have good luck, too. I haven't bought them yet, though, I just have this feeling that it's not yet the right time to buy. I think there will be a bunch of kits out soon with those bigger chips so there should be some competition out there. In fact it looks like it is already happening. I doubt the corsair ones would overclock too much though as they are probably binning off the faster ones for more expensive kits...

I doubt the corsair ones would overclock too much though as they are probably binning off the faster ones for more expensive kits...

And looking at the question marks there- 3000/C16 is pretty slow and that's as fast as they're announcing.

I expect well north of US$150 per 32GB DIMM for speeds that would be desirable for Zen 2.

And looking at the question marks there- 3000/C16 is pretty slow and that's as fast as they're announcing.

I expect well north of US$150 per 32GB DIMM for speeds that would be desirable for Zen 2.

Yeah, agreed. So it's either gamble on the OE Samsung ones, wait for faster ones that will surely be expensive, or gamble on the corsairs which seems like a bad idea. Right now I am just going to hold off for a sec and see how it all plays out. It's hard though because I have a 3900X and brand new X570 mobo just sitting there and I can't use them yet.

Yeah, agreed. So it's either gamble on the OE Samsung ones, wait for faster ones that will surely be expensive, or gamble on the corsairs which seems like a bad idea. Right now I am just going to hold off for a sec and see how it all plays out. It's hard though because I have a 3900X and brand new X570 mobo just sitting there and I can't use them yet.

Toss something of lower capacity (and cheaper) in there to get it running ;)

I've been agonizing over RAM for my incoming 3900x and Asus Crosshairs VIII. I found this thread and now I have more questions than answers. I want 32 GB and it seems the QVL tested a lot of stuff, but most of it is unobtainium or ridiculously expensive. There's a lot of good points in this thread. This is my first real upgrade since 2011 besides graphics cards, so I hold on to stuff for a while. I'm thinking I'll be best off with a 2 by 16 GB kit instead of 4 x 8. I know that the QVL is not all encompassing. I'm trying to decide between 3200 CAS 14 B Dies and 3600 CAS 16. I know a lot of people seem to have no problem getting 3200 B Dies to 3600 CAS 16. Man, I really don't know where to go here. There are compelling arguments both ways. I'll game some and hopefully do some video editing. Gaming will be the most use though. Also, I want to get some RGB if possible. The upcoming G.Skill Neo looks cool, but I'll bet it's going to be priced through the roof.

Those weirdo 32 GB Samsung DIMMS look pretty interesting, but ugly ;-). I don't know if I will have the time to do massive amounts of tweaking.

That is where I am at this point.
I was looking at the G.Skill Trident Royal Z 4000Ghz @ CAS17 and down-clocking the memory to 3733 c16 @ 1:1 ratio... ?

That is where I am at this point.
I was looking at the G.Skill Trident Royal Z 4000Ghz @ CAS17 and down-clocking the memory to 3733 c16 @ 1:1 ratio... ?

I actually did end up buying the RGB version of the RAM I mentioned I bought before. I still have the DDR4000 CAS 19 RAM I mentioned above. I'm going to return it to newegg. I didn't even open the package. I hope I can get up and running Monday night as my last pieces of the puzzle should arrive on Monday. As IdiotInCharge says about that G.Skill Trident Royal you're looking at, that's a lot of money for that memory. I splurged at over $300, but there are limits to my splurginess.

Whatever you buy, do it soon. I noticed the pricing on the RAM I bought went up 10% last night, and it seems that Hynix is cutting their dram output.

Whatever you buy, do it soon. I noticed the pricing on the RAM I bought went up 10% last night, and it seems that Hynix is cutting their dram output.

I saw something similar last week. The RAM I was watching went up $20 in one day. I bought it the next for fear of further increase. The it dropped back down, then OOS same day. It seems anything good for Ryzen around 3600 and CAS 16 is gone or prohibitively expensive.

I actually did end up buying the RGB version of the RAM I mentioned I bought before. I still have the DDR4000 CAS 19 RAM I mentioned above. I'm going to return it to newegg. I didn't even open the package. I hope I can get up and running Monday night as my last pieces of the puzzle should arrive on Monday. As IdiotInCharge says about that G.Skill Trident Royal you're looking at, that's a lot of money for that memory. I splurged at over $300, but there are limits to my splurginess.

Yeah, I am allowing myself to spend on good timings, because I require 24/7 use and plan on having this rig 5+ years. So the extra $100 I can somewhat justify...

G.Skill has the new NEO Series specific for AMD. I bet they are binning right now for 3733....

Yeah, I am allowing myself to spend on good timings, because I require 24/7 use and plan on having this rig 5+ years. So the extra $100 I can somewhat justify...

G.Skill has the new NEO Series specific for AMD. I bet they are binning right now for 3733....

Looks like 3600 is as high as they will go. I'll bet that CAS 14 3600 kit will really put a hurting on the wallet.

Attachments

• trident-z-neo-launch-spec-table-eng.png
    trident-z-neo-launch-spec-table-eng.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 0
Yeah I wonder if those kits will start to come in 3733.. or just get the c14 kit and OC them.

So for some reason I thought the Zen2 was optimized for 3200MHz and bout a 32GB kit of 3200MHz Corsair RAM for a good price on Prime Day, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B016ORTNI2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, I am now wondering if I should return it and spend more on the Trident Z stuff at 3600MHz or 3733 MHz. Will the Corsair overclock at all? I haven't built a computer since 2011 so a lot has changed, lol.
Default spec for Zen 2 is 3200mhz. Which is quite a bit higher than all previous CPU architectures. And it now theoretically allows higher RAM clocks. Albeit with divider caveats, after 3700mhz.

Default spec for Zen 2 is 3200mhz. Which is quite a bit higher than all previous CPU architectures. And it now theoretically allows higher RAM clocks. Albeit with divider caveats, after 3700mhz.
From reading it can benefit greatly from higher clocked memory, does this Corsair kit overclock at all or should I go with a G Skill 3600 or better kit?

From reading it can benefit greatly from higher clocked memory, does this Corsair kit overclock at all or should I go with a G Skill 3600 or better kit?

Watch this video from buildzoid for more information on your question. He's been testing RAM for Ryzen 3000.

Watch this video from buildzoid for more information on your question. He's been testing RAM for Ryzen 3000.

I'll definitely have to watch that, still worried I bought the wing memory but the 3600+ stuff is generally >2x what I paid, wondering how the 3600 Ripjaws kit is.

OK, what does everyone think about these? https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232218 G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB 3200 CL14, from reading should be able to push it to 3600 @ CL16 no problem. Is the Ne Trident Z Neo worth $50 over this?

Verified Samsung B-Die per
https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

Supposedly, most B-Die is good for 3600 at 16 CAS. I spent about $100 more for some G.Skill 4000 19 CAS B-Die and plan on downclocking it to 3600 with tighter timings. Someday, I'll actually get to put it together....

3200 c14 is no joke.

3733 is the Zen2 "sweet spot", so 3200MHz memory is not that far off (533MHz). If you land some CAS14 sticks at 3200 you'll have a solid x570 build. And is essentially the best min/max price point for x570 right now (3200MHz sticks).

I have Corsair LPX 3000C15 "D" Die bought in 2015 that clock to 3733C17.

The more I look the more it looks like I'd be paying >$100 extra for only a small percentage gain in performance for the 3200 CL14 kit or 3600 CL16 kits vs. the 3200 CL16 I have now which I could always try and time down or OC and see what it does anyway. Not sure it is worth the money.

Then again I see a lot of people struggling to get the Corsair to 3200MHz on Ryzen systems, so damn.

Last edited:

Buildzoid always rambles about extremes, but never nails the means. As such, how could He go through all of that work & personal research & omit 3600 16 16 16 36 timings..?

And why (what purpose) does showing 3600 Mhz at cas20 do..? I found this video frustrating because it didn't touch enough on the sweet spot (that AMD mentions), that buyers are looking at/for.

Buildzoid always rambles about extremes, but never nails the means. As such, how could He go through all of that work & personal research & omit 3600 16 16 16 36 timings..?

And why (what purpose) does showing 3600 Mhz at cas20 do..? I found this video frustrating because it didn't touch enough on the sweet spot (that AMD mentions), that buyers are looking at/for.

Did he mention availability?

Exactly what I thought of the video, doesn't help me really.

The kits I have been looking at, (that have been sold out for the past week), have all gone up $20 bucks and they are not even restocked yet.

I wonder what the Ryzen 3000 series sales have been like since release. Microcenter's bundles are like manager specials, they are gone before you can make the 1.5h trip.

The kits I have been looking at, (that have been sold out for the past week), have all gone up $20 bucks and they are not even restocked yet.

I wonder what the Ryzen 3000 series sales have been like since release. Microcenter's bundles are like manager specials, they are gone before you can make the 1.5h trip.
Yea, I am between the Ripjaws V 3200 CL14 or the Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16, not sure I want the RGB and extra $60.

Back