3200 DDR4 Doesn't run above 2933 and resets to 2133

Hox

n00b
I dug through a lot of posts regarding the issues of getting 3200 DDR4 ram to run at the actual intended speed, but couldn't find anything that worked for me.

Specs:
MSI B450 Mortar Titanium
AMD Ryzen 7 2700
4x8GB DDR4 3200
RTX 2080 Ti

Basically went down the rabbit hole of why my 3200 Ram is stuck at 2133. I got the RAM to run at 2933 by turning off Memory Fast boot. I've tried using the A-XMP profile 2 (DDR4 3200 16-18-18-36 // exactly what my RAM is rated for), but does the memory failure reboot twice and then reverts to 2133. I tried upping the voltage to 1.35v. I also updated the BIOS to 7B89vAD (released 2020-06-16). They do have a new version out, but it's a beta, and slapping a beta into the bios of all things isn't something that excites me. I can add a screen shot of my bios settings as if that's useful, but I know this is a common problem with something I'm probably just missing.

mem3.JPG
mem.JPG

3200mhz 16cas should run just fine at 1.35v but upping to 1.4v as pendragon1 says will rule out dram voltage instability. I ran 1.132v on the soc on my 2700x for 3200-3466mhz so try that. I think my input was 1.15v on soc and with vdroop it read 1.132v so try that. Also make sure your dram sticks are installed in the correct dram slots. Generally from left to right it is the 2nd and 4th slots. Hope this helps

dont think thats an issue ;)
Oh didn’t see the 4x8GB part, that’s your problem, the 2700’s memory controller does not support 4x8 at 3200mhz, the highest it supports is 4x8 3000mhz

here is the official QVL list of 3200mhz kits that work with ryzen 2000. Notice they are all single rank 2x8GB kits. Just run your kit at 2933mhz, it’s still a pretty fast 32GB setup for ryzen 2000

Attachments

• E801B7A7-77E8-480A-BF60-E6453A9023B7.png
    E801B7A7-77E8-480A-BF60-E6453A9023B7.png
    609.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Dan_D
like this
up the ram voltage to 1.4v and up your vsoc voltage to ~1.1-1.2v
Upped the voltage to 1.4v, not sure which setting is the VSOC one? System booted, but didn't take the speed change of 2933 or 3200. Reverted it back to 2133 even with it set to the other two speeds.

OC settings.jpg

Oh didn’t see the 4x8GB part, that’s your problem, the 2700’s memory controller does not support 4x8 at 3200mhz, the highest it supports is 4x8 3000mhz

here is the official QVL list of 3200mhz kits that work with ryzen 2000. Notice they are all single rank 2x8GB kits. Just run your kit at 2933mhz, it’s still a pretty fast 32GB setup for ryzen 2000
Fair enough, but it still not keeping the 2933 setting. I don't really care at teh end of the day about the 3200, but want it to stick above 2133.

View attachment 373435

.82v is low up it to 1.1 and try again.

Seems to have done it. Gonna reboot and see if it sticks. Thanks for the help, never would have found that without it.

Edit: Seems to be holding at the 2933. Should I care that the bios is only showing the RAM at 2133 until it gets into windows?

mem3-2933.JPG
bios-mem.jpg

Last edited:
Seems to have done it. Gonna reboot and see if it sticks. Thanks for the help, never would have found that without it.

Edit: Seems to be holding at the 2933. Should I care that the bios is only showing the RAM at 2133 until it gets into windows?

View attachment 373437View attachment 373439
no prob. if cpuz shows it correct, it is. those upper numbers are the base speeds, i think....

Reactions: Hox
like this
Glad we could help!

just reduce your dram voltage back to 1.35v and see if it is still good. 1.4v isn’t bad but at 2933 and 3200 it shouldn’t need that much voltage and with 4 sticks being close together, heat dissipation could be an issue

Reactions: Hox
like this
no prob. if cpuz shows it correct, it is. those upper numbers are the base speeds, i think....
So I've had two different games crash to desktop today and 1 blue screen, so I'm having some stability issues now I guess. I tried drawing the DRAM back to 1.35v which is what it's rated for, and it did the memory failure reboot twice, and it's running back at 2133 again.

Increase your dram back to 1.4v and increase soc voltage to 1.13v, if it still does it do 1.15v on soc, after 1.15v the memory controller gets less stable, one of the quirks of AMD controllers...

Increase your dram back to 1.4v and increase soc voltage to 1.13v, if it still does it do 1.15v on soc, after 1.15v the memory controller gets less stable, one of the quirks of AMD controllers...
The system is also liquid cooled (not including DRAM). Should I up the CPU frequency to 40.00 (4,000mhz/ 4ghz) or leave it alone? I'll try turning those back up and report back. The system ran fine in windows until I pulled up games.

Doesn't seem to have liked that. Black screen, won't boot. Looks like I'll have to clear the CMOS again.

Okay try taking the dram sticks in slot 1 and 3 out and try it with XMP 2933mhz at 1.35v with soc voltage on auto and see if games crash with just 2 8GB sticks. If it works fine then it’s your memory controller not liking 4x8GB at 2933mhz. After you put the 2 sticks back in try 4x8GB at 2600mhz

Okay try taking the dram sticks in slot 1 and 3 out and try it with XMP 2933mhz at 1.35v with soc voltage on auto and see if games crash with just 2 8GB sticks. If it works fine then it’s your memory controller not liking 4x8GB at 2933mhz. After you put the 2 sticks back in try 4x8GB at 2600mhz
I just had a similar issue with my system. 4x16gb sticks wouldn't run stable (no matter voltage and speed) and after some reading the memory controller doesn't like 4 sticks that dense. I took two out and it's been stable at 3200 DOCP ever since. 32gb is more than I really would ever need anyway so i'm not even missing the extra 32gb.

My old system was a 2700X with 2x8 3200 and it ran like a champ 24x7x365 at DRAM 1.35V, auto CPU SOC voltage for over 2 years. Then I added 2 more sticks, exact same brand/model. I thought it was stable at 3200 but after running into some unknown rebooting issues recently I ran memtest86 from a USB stick and it found tons of errors. I tried upping DRAM voltage in steps until hitting 1.40V and SOC to 1.15V and it still was not stable at 3200, so I gave up and dropped it to 3000 and dropped DRAM voltage back down to 1.35V (the rated voltage for the sticks) and auto SOC and it passes all memtest86 tests now and has not rebooted since. I have chalked it up to the 2700X's memory controller just can't deal with 4x8 sticks as I think they are dual rank sticks making it dual channel quad rank which is super hard on the memory controller.

Reactions: Jelly
like this
Try testing each stick one at a time. I've had this issue before on a X470 board and it actually ended up being a bad stick that I had to RMA.

So I finally got a second to work on this, figured I'd try by first just starting it up again for shits and giggles. Started right up and the ram is running at 2933. So could it be an overheating issue?

doubt it. if there is any amount of airflow over them they wont overheat.
So I just blue screened tryin to test stability with battlefield. I dialed the ram V back to 1.35v. It's still holding this time at 2933. Is there another type of benchmark that might shed some light on this? I hate trouble shooting intermittent issues, and this just feels so damn inconsistent.

Another thing I should add, that I probably should have mentioned earlier, but I didn't everyone to zero in on. I fried the PSU a few months back when the coolant leaked into it because I didn't realize the pump o-ring wasn't flush and slowly dripping. I disconnected everything when I replaced the PSU, and one by one added the components back in (RAM, GPU, HD, etc). I have had no stability issues over the past 4-5 months since that happened until I realized I was running at 2133 and started trying to troubleshoot that. I really don't think the RAM is toast because I wouldn't expect it to tolerate any increased voltage, and I have also gone stick by stick, then pair by pair to test both the DIMM slots and the sticks as conclusively as I could.

Last edited:
So I just blue screened tryin to test stability with battlefield. I dialed the ram V back to 1.35v. It's still holding this time at 2933. Is there another type of benchmark that might shed some light on this? I hate trouble shooting intermittent issues, and this just feels so damn inconsistent.
bump it back up to 1.4v, its not going to overheat.

Why? Not doubting you, just trying to learn. It's running at 2933 @ 1.35, what's will 1.4 do?
its not uncommon to need more for higher speed and amounts. if youre happy there, leave it.

its not uncommon to need more for higher speed and amounts. if youre happy there, leave it.
No I'm definitely not lol, as the stability sucks. I can't get a game to play for more than 20-30 minutes without it crashing at the high end, most of the time its' 5-15 minutes. Temps aren't crazy high either, so I don't think it's an overheating issue.

No I'm definitely not lol, as the stability sucks. I can't get a game to play for more than 20-30 minutes without it crashing at the high end, most of the time its' 5-15 minutes. Temps aren't crazy high either, so I don't think it's an overheating issue.
so raise the voltage back up and keep testing.
ps: my 3400 sticks have been at 1.4v since i built my sig rig.

so raise the voltage back up and keep testing.
ps: my 3400 sticks have been at 1.4v since i built my sig rig.
Oh I believe your feedback, was just curious about it. I'll try turning it back up, I just was under the impression pushing it further would only increase instability, but maybe that's not the case. I'll flip it back over to 1.4v and see what happens. Would a memtest be useful?

Edit - it wouldn't come back up after the reboot. Just black screen. I've gotten past it before by jumping the CMOS, but this is where I gave up last night. Tried booting this afternoon and it came up fine.

Oh I believe your feedback, was just curious about it. I'll try turning it back up, I just was under the impression pushing it further would only increase instability, but maybe that's not the case. I'll flip it back over to 1.4v and see what happens. Would a memtest be useful?
k.
not that i know of.
yes.

k.
not that i know of.
yes.
Damn man you get back to me too fast lol. I added this to my last post. wouldn't come back up after the reboot. Just black screen. I've gotten past it before by jumping the CMOS, but this is where I gave up last night. Tried booting this afternoon and it came up fine.

k.
not that i know of.
yes.
I was still getting instability issues, and decided to try pulling 2 of the 4 sticks. System ran smoothly for the rest of the night at 2x8 @ 3200. I'm going to try turning the CPU back up to 4.0ghz today, and see how it does.

At this point I'm probably just going to buy 2x16 @ 3200? I know on the surface there's some compatibility issues out there, is there a set you'd recommend to go with the AMD? I'm not hung up on the 3200 exactly either, at this point it'll just be a lateral move or upgrade depending on the feedback here.

I was still getting instability issues, and decided to try pulling 2 of the 4 sticks. System ran smoothly for the rest of the night at 2x8 @ 3200. I'm going to try turning the CPU back up to 4.0ghz today, and see how it does.

At this point I'm probably just going to buy 2x16 @ 3200? I know on the surface there's some compatibility issues out there, is there a set you'd recommend to go with the AMD? I'm not hung up on the 3200 exactly either, at this point it'll just be a lateral move or upgrade depending on the feedback here.
You will run into the same issues with 2x16GB sticks as many of them are dual rank. 4x8 GB single rank sticks like yours put just as much stress on the memory controller as 2x16GB dual rank sticks. I’d try to find a 2x16GB single rank kit as they have recently become more and more common and should in theory be less stressful on the memory controller thus potentially stable at higher frequencies

With Zen1, getting 4x8 to work at XMP speeds is ... sometimes fun.

Trident Z Neo tends to be the best I've found in terms of working with AMD. Definitely set voltage to 1.4 and SoC to 1.15 if needed to get it stable.

If you want to get into the nitty gritty and your board doesn't want to do 3200, you can probably tighten the timings of RAM set at 2933 or 3000mhz and get approximately the same or better performance compared to 3200 XMP.

You might have slightly better luck with 2x16, assuming you really need the 32GB. It's still effectively dual ranking but 2 sticks are a bit easier to drive, electrically. (Especially since I bet the Mortar is daisy-chain rather than T topology.) Zen+ really doesn't like 4 sticks unless you get lucky with your CPU sample.

I've run 4x16gb Corsair 3200 lpx on a 1700 and 2600 at xmp on a junk ASRock b450 board.

This was right before Win10 18xx

Update bios + chipset drivers and try again.

I've covered this numerous times and it was said by most reviewers (including myself) back when these CPU's came out. But, I'll say it again since no one uses the search function. Ryzen 7 2700's do NOT like running 4x memory modules. AMD is pretty clear on this point in its slide decks seen in every review on launch. Achieving DDR4 3200MHz using 4x 8GB modules is highly unlikely. Officially, AMD only supports 4x DDR4 DIMMs at DDR4 2666MHz (dual-ranked) and DDR4 2933MHz (single ranked). Period, end of story. Anything past that is going to depend on your CPU's individual IMC, motherboard trace layout design, VRM implementation, PCB quality, and a whole bunch of other minutia.

Now, having said that. It's not entirely impossible to achieve stability over DDR4 3000MHz using 4x modules. However, it is very hard to do. It will involve a lot of trial and error and still might not happen. You have to be prepared for that. If you pull two of those modules I'd wager all your problems would disappear.

I've covered this numerous times and it was said by most reviewers (including myself) back when these CPU's came out. But, I'll say it again since no one uses the search function. Ryzen 7 2700's do NOT like running 4x memory modules. AMD is pretty clear on this point in its slide decks seen in every review on launch. Achieving DDR4 3200MHz using 4x 8GB modules is highly unlikely. Officially, AMD only supports 4x DDR4 DIMMs at DDR4 2666MHz (dual-ranked) and DDR4 2933MHz (single ranked). Period, end of story. Anything past that is going to depend on your CPU's individual IMC, motherboard trace layout design, VRM implementation, PCB quality, and a whole bunch of other minutia.

Now, having said that. It's not entirely impossible to achieve stability over DDR4 3000MHz using 4x modules. However, it is very hard to do. It will involve a lot of trial and error and still might not happen. You have to be prepared for that. If you pull two of those modules I'd wager all your problems would disappear.
Heck - I’ve pulled it off once and only once. My 1950x even isn’t fond of XMP speeds with just 4 dimms

Interesting twist to my 2700X system that I previously posted in this thread saying I thought it was stable at 3200mt/s using 4x8GB DIMMs but memtest86 said otherwise so I had to run at 3000mt/s for stability.
I just updated to the latest C7HWIFI BIOS 4402 a couple days ago and tried XMP 3200mt/s again with 1.35V RAM voltage (per normal config for these DIMMs) and now it passes with all other voltages on Auto, exactly like I used to run. This config did not work with BIOS 4301 which forced me to run at 3000mt/s.
So maybe I was not crazy when I thought 3200mt/s was working when I first upgraded from 2x8GB to 4x8GB DIMMs last year because back then I was running an earlier BIOS like 3103.
It would seem that some memory tuning occurred or was corrected in 4402 that was broken in 4301.
Obviously not everyone should expect 3200mt/s to work, as Dan said above, but I had it working before, it stopped working on some subsequent BIOS update(s) without my realizing until recently, and now it works again on 4402. As such, I recommend giving 4402 a try.

Back