32 pipe 7900GTX rumor

Ho Hum, you should know already Rollo. Hasnt Nvidia sent you a couple of free cards to post about? We'll know soon enough.

I really hope it does have 32 pipes. Also I can't wait till the rumors are over. I guess we will see very soon.

*rubs hands together*

cant wait :) another thing to add to my new pc list :p

If that article is true there is going to be a huge difference between GT and GTX performance!

etekberg said:
If that article is true there is going to be a huge difference between GT and GTX performance!

and a HUGE difference between price.

"The performance gap will be very clear that while many poor prices."

should read:

"....the difference in performance between the two cards should be obvious and at the same time the difference in price big."

I get the feeling that the 7900GTX will be a revolutionary new card, and that the 7900GT will just be a new, cheaper fab for the current 7800GTX.

sac_tagg said:
I get the feeling that the 7900GTX will be a revolutionary new card, and that the 7900GT will just be a new, cheaper fab for the current 7800GTX.

lets hope the 7900gtx is revolutionary...i want to upgrade :p

The forum famous crystal ball shows that the card was planned to be a 32 pipeline card. Instead after nvidia took a look at ATI's math advantage they decided to go about it another way. It is clear that the card will be 24 pipelines. But it's like the Subaru WRX Impreza STi. Even though that's a 4 cylinder car. dont underestimate it. It is one mean 4 cylinder. Same thing with the 7900GTX. It will be one mean 24 pipeline card.

As many in the forum know, the CB never lies. :D :D :D

I am just waiting, in my opinion I just hope they add HDR+AA, not trying to be some ATi !!!!!! party Spoiler but I really do love that power after seeing True HDR and the horrible jaggies. None the less as I said in another thread if the price is lower the card will still be quite the nice card. If its 32 Pipes than we all win as well, only time will tell.

probably a speed bump with newer versions of it's cinefx 5.0 and ultrashadow 3 and all that useless junk.

OK so your saying the 650MHz 24pipe 7900GTX is gona show significant performance gains to a 550MHz 24 pipe 7800GTX 512?

This is even with slightly slower memory 1600MHz VS 1700MHz?

kleox64 said:
OK so your saying the 650MHz 24pipe 7900GTX is gona show significant performance gains to a 550MHz 24 pipe 7800GTX 512?

This is even with slightly slower memory 1600MHz VS 1700MHz?

Think outside the box dude. Let me give you an example. 32 pipes x 2 quads =64
Instead lets say nvidia did this 24pipes =Added 3rd quad = 72!!!! mwaaahahahahahah :D :D :D

Ah who knows maybe it will be a slight bit better. we'll see soon though.

{NG}Fidel said:
I am just waiting, in my opinion I just hope they add HDR+AA, not trying to be some ATi !!!!!! party Spoiler but I really do love that power after seeing True HDR and the horrible jaggies. None the less as I said in another thread if the price is lower the card will still be quite the nice card. If its 32 Pipes than we all win as well, only time will tell.

You are hoping in vain- nVidia themselves have told me there will be no HDR+ AA on the 7900 cards- it's a hardware limitation.

Whether or not that means a lot while only two year old Far Cry and Serious Sam2 are the only HDR+ AA games you can't play with this feature on 7900s is a matter only the buy can decide. I played as much Far Cry as I wanted to long ago, even if I had an ATI card I wouldn't be playing it again to see it with HDR + AA.

Serious Sam2 I'm playing now, but I don't consider it good enough to buy or not buy a card over.

Will there be good games that patch to playable framerates of HDR +AA with ATI cards? Time will tell.

Rollo said:
You are hoping in vain- nVidia themselves have told me there will be no HDR+ AA on the 7900 cards- it's a hardware limitation.

Whether or not that means a lot while only two year old Far Cry and Serious Sam2 are the only HDR+ AA games you can't play with this feature on 7900s is a matter only the buy can decide. I played as much Far Cry as I wanted to long ago, even if I had an ATI card I wouldn't be playing it again to see it with HDR + AA.

Serious Sam2 I'm playing now, but I don't consider it good enough to buy or not buy a card over.

Will there be good games that patch to playable framerates of HDR +AA with ATI cards? Time will tell.

If you're not planning on keeping your card for more than a year (as most probably are due to Vista/HDCP/DX10 etc) then you won't be missing out on anything by not having HDR+AA. However, if you plan on keeping the card for a while, it might become important later this year or next.

Rollo said:

Assuming that you're telling the truth, did you by chance ask Nvidia if the 7900GTX will be 32 or 24 pipes? You could end all the supense right here, right now.

GVX said:
Assuming that you're telling the truth, did you by chance ask Nvidia if the 7900GTX will be 32 or 24 pipes? You could end all the supense right here, right now.

Even if I had that info (which I don't) I couldn't tell you as it would be covered by NDA.

We're supposed to get it sometime prior to launch but I've heard nothing yet. :(

BTW- why would I not tell the truth about 7900s not having HDR+AA? I don't stand to gain or lose anything either way.

sac_tagg said:
Well, for one thing you're under NDA :D

LOL

Well, you have a point, but in this case nVidia themselves said I could post that info and it's not to their advantage, so you can pretty much take it as gospel.
;)

sac_tagg said:

I wouldn't consider it revolutionary, as I'd save that term for G80/R600/next gen.

Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side
The summer's gone, and all the flowers are dying
'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide.
But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow
'Tis I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow
Oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy, I love you so.

:p

Everytime video card pipes are talked about this song is in my head.

It seems like nvidia decided to stop killing their high end sales by making the gt parts with similar performance. Most people I know don't consider the extra 5fps gain on 60 to be worth 150 dollars. But if the GTX gets 20 over 50, then we start considering it instead of the gt.

Lord_Exodia said:
Think outside the box dude. Let me give you an example. 32 pipes x 2 quads =64
Instead lets say nvidia did this 24pipes =Added 3rd quad = 72!!!! mwaaahahahahahah :D :D :D

Ah who knows maybe it will be a slight bit better. we'll see soon though.

got it, my 7800GTX 512 just went on ebay...

Biggest thing in this whole mess maybe Nvidia has something bigger up their sleeve in the future. I never count either two camps ATI and Nvidia because both have alot of money to burn with their high priced video cards. I sitll have 2 7800 grtx 256 meg. Not sure I will upgrade until I see how this HDCP plays out and AMD new socket comes into the light. As they say technology moving forward. I wish these video cards were so much to buy.

it was reported on a few web sites yesterday that it will be 24 pipes, 650-700mhz core, 2000mhz memory, and a 1gb part will be introduced shortly after the 512. (as will a 1gb x1900something)

so i guess that means that a 2xgpu card will have 2gb ram, and a 4xsli rig will carry 4gb ram?

i thought Daily tech already confirmed that the 7900GTX will only be 24pipes

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=915

ahhh hang on a sec, its a little misleading. they dont directly say "it has 24 pipes" what they do say is its capable of doing 24 pixels per cycle

i dunno what to take from that, but i could guess A) its got 24 pipes B) it got 24 ROPs (ie can output 24 pixels in a cycle)

RoffleCopter said:
imo instead of 4x sli why not just make the card twice as powerful :p

Why not make it 10x, 20x 30x more powerful? Sure they want to make more money, but there are limits. And even if they did make it 2x more power, couldn't they still make them run in SLI? Making the card more powerful wouldn't precluded that.

Actually, if they can offer a dual GPU card for $800, that's not a bad price. It would be the fastest single card ever with decent price/performance ratio .

heatlesssun said:
Why not make it 10x, 20x 30x more powerful? Sure they want to make more money, but there are limits. And even if they did make it 2x more power, couldn't they still make them run in SLI? Making the card more powerful wouldn't precluded that.

Actually, if they can offer a dual GPU card for $800, that's not a bad price. It would be the fastest single card ever with decent price/performance ratio .

You do have a point about dual GPUs but I was referring to having 4 graphics cards in one system, which would mean sacrificing a lot of other upgrade options like sound cards (of course im talking about atx size mother boards)

The forum famous crystal ball shows that the card was planned to be a 32 pipeline card. Instead after nvidia took a look at ATI's math advantage they decided to go about it another way. It is clear that the card will be 24 pipelines. But it's like the Subaru WRX Impreza STi. Even though that's a 4 cylinder car. dont underestimate it. It is one mean 4 cylinder. Same thing with the 7900GTX. It will be one mean 24 pipeline card.

It's ST"I" (not i) now! lol

I seriously doubt the 2ghz ram...

And I don't think it'l lbe 32 pipes.

So surprise me... lol

So if we see Quad SLI with 4GB of Video Memory that would be weird with Windows XP only supporting around 3.5GB. I guess we need Vista soon!

Back