32 inch 1080p Tv without PWM

Xr7

Gawd
I've done some searching but I haven't had any luck. Does anyone know of any 32 inch 1080p tv that doesn't use pwm dimming?

TV reviewers don't test for PWM so you will have to test them yourself (Testing Methods). PWM typically shows up on cellphones when recording videos when viewing white screens. Check the Samsung UN32EH5300 off of your list, it uses PWM (160hz, tested by moi). I used my cell phone on a Sony Series 6 32" (kdl32w650a) when it was displaying a white screen from a video feed and couldn't see any horizontal PWM lines, might want to start with it. Most TV's probably use PWM....

Last edited:
Ah. So the rumor about Sony W6 series being PWM free comes from you NCX. :) .. or have you seen anyone else state the same thing?

Its not unfounded, though. If I remember correctly I think BenQ did some press-release way back about PWM flicker that hinted on the possibility of them extending it to TVs and projectors (LED ones, obviously).

Mind that when testing LCDTVs for flicker, they usually have two or more settings for brightness. Sometimes its obvious which one is backlight control and sometimes one have to try them all. In stores all TVs are usually on full or near full brightness settings so you need to reduce it before checking them.

Another thought is monitors with scanning backlights, regional dimming and other backlight variants. One of those might have modes or be generally better flicker-wise for some people.

The LG 32LN5300 is usually recommended around here, so at least a few people are using it as a monitor. Has anyone tested it for PWM?

The LG 32LN5300 is usually recommended around here, so at least a few people are using it as a monitor. Has anyone tested it for PWM?

Yes I have actually owned one and it wasn't until this tv that I realized PWM affected me.

Back