32" HDTV as monitor also, questions for the knowledgeable

dwilson041781

[H]ard|Gawd
For reference Im going to go with either a Samsung or Sony as it stands. Im open to suggestions as well. (I plan on purchasing sometime in the coming weeks)

My questions are this:

Is it ok to leave it on 24/7?(I read there is fans n moving parts compared to none on an LCD, thus they are only to be used 6-8 hours) But I think the article I read that said that may have been old and based on older tech.

Is 1366x768 really noticeable compared to 1920x1080 or 1920x1200?

Would I be able to change the 1366x768 to 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 via Nvidia control panel etc...?

My main use will be PC, but also PS3.

I think thats the only questions that I have concerns about. Thx guys I appreciate all feedback, links etc. :D

You need to be more specific as to what it is you are planning to buy. It sounds like you are looking at plasmas, cause LCDs do not have fans. If you are thinking Plasma go with Panasonic; Samsung and Sony are stronger in the LCD market.

Dave

LCD TVs usually don't have fans. Plasmas do.
There should be no issue leaving it on 24/7. In fact, what kills electronics is often being turned on and off, thereby heating up (expanding) and cooling down (contracting) repeatedly.
However, the backlight in the LCD has a finite life span. I don't quite remember the figures, maybe 10.000 hours until half brightness? That is with a CCFL backlight of course, LED backlights have an expected life (until half brightness) of 50-100.000 hours or more. AFAIR, Plasma is the same (50-100.000).
Why leave it on 24/7? You can't watch it when sleeping or at work anyway.

If you buy 1366x768 you can feed it a 1920x1080 signal from your computer and it will display it, but it will look the best at the 'native' resolution. For the best results, buy a screen with the resolution you want to use.

I'd highly recommend going with a 1080p set to use as a monitor. I'm using a 32 inch Vizio as a monitor for my pc and consoles atm and its great but I'd think 720p would be way too low res causing text to be too huge and not enough work space.

LCD TVs usually don't have fans. Plasmas do.
There should be no issue leaving it on 24/7. In fact, what kills electronics is often being turned on and off, thereby heating up (expanding) and cooling down (contracting) repeatedly.
However, the backlight in the LCD has a finite life span. I don't quite remember the figures, maybe 10.000 hours until half brightness? That is with a CCFL backlight of course, LED backlights have an expected life (until half brightness) of 50-100.000 hours or more. AFAIR, Plasma is the same (50-100.000).
Why leave it on 24/7? You can't watch it when sleeping or at work anyway.

If you buy 1366x768 you can feed it a 1920x1080 signal from your computer and it will display it, but it will look the best at the 'native' resolution. For the best results, buy a screen with the resolution you want to use.

Thanks everyone and yes im pretty clueless and didnt realize they had the other resolutions available for 32inchers. So my shopping continues.

And ya, I really would rather not waste power, but like ya said its the on n off and temp differences leading to my thought of premature death that makes me want to leave it on or adjust it to low power mode of some sort.

Again thanks all.

LG 32LH30

One of the few current 1080P HDTV's that works 100% correctly as a monitor, including low lag etc.

More info here and at the AVS forums.

There's a few samsung models that work well also, model # 550 and a couple of others that i forget.

Edit: be sure to check out the other info posted below

Last edited:
Inst that LG using a shitty AUO panel now though? I was just about to buy it until i read about the panel swap.

Inst that LG using a shitty AUO panel now though? I was just about to buy it until i read about the panel swap.
That or is it a panel lottery? Some people saying they've swapped for S-IPS after august, while some are saying they swapped for AUO VA panels after august, looks confusing as hell to me.

The experts and purists would probably shoot for S-IPS, but when you consider price and overall performance it looks like the people who got AUO VA panels were nearly as happy with it's quality (except maybe for the psychological part of not getting the S-IPS)

Edit: Looks like there's another LG S-IPS 1080P model on sale at Newegg, the 32LF11 for $399, the current newegg/Bing 10% cashback would knock another $40 off that price. Hmmm, not sure how well it would work as a PC gaming monitor though. Double edit: a few owners at AVS are reporting no lag when set to game mode.

Last edited:
Looking for a 32" for browsing and gaming, any other input guys on the LF11? Or anything similar to this model

I recently bought a Samsung Series 6 LED TV ... 32" 1920x1080

It's LOVELY for gaming and browsing the web etc, currently using it as my primary monitor, had a Dell 27" for extended desktop.

Back