32-bit application on 64-bit OS using more than 3GB RAM?

Skillz'n Magic

Weaksauce
If I get a 64-bit OS and put, say, 8GB of RAM in it, and run a 32-Bit application on it, can that 32-bit application utilize more than the 3GB it could in a 32-bit environment (with PAE enabled)?

No. Only applications compiled with LARGEADDRESSAWARE can even approach 3GB, and even then that's the limit for a 32-bit app regardless of whether you are in a 64-bit environment with 8GB RAM or not.

If the application has the largeaddressaware bit in 64bit windows, it can grow to 4GB

Understanding Address Spaces and the 4GB Limit

It's in the forum sticky/FAQ thread (that so many people never seem to look at) along with others that are very relevant and full of good info. Should have some info in there related to the very specific question the OP asked, but maybe it's been answered already from the posts above to his satisfaction.

OK. The answers I got are pretty much what I expected..unfortunately.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Understanding Address Spaces and the 4GB Limit

It's in the forum sticky/FAQ thread (that so many people never seem to look at) along with others that are very relevant and full of good info. Should have some info in there related to the very specific question the OP asked, but maybe it's been answered already from the posts above to his satisfaction.

That wasn't really what I was looking for. I have a pretty good understanding of memory addressing in 32-bit Windows, I was looking for 32-bit apps in a 64-bit environment. Thanks though.
And I agree, people don't check the stickies as often as they should. ;)

I would tend to argue that the amount of physical ram needed, depends 100% on what the computer is going to be used for.

It also has a lot to do with how the application is designed. There's just much out there in the desktop world that's deigned to use massive amounts of RAM.

3gb of ram + page file is enough.

That's kinda funny, considering you have no idea what program he's talking about and what it does. Ever used photoshop with a few layers do to a big print? 1.5GB or higher files are pretty common, and when you factor in running a sharpening filter on this, 3GB is chewed up pretty quickly.

The application will not be able to use more than 4GB but even 4GB is more than you'll get using a 32-bit kernel.

That's kinda funny, considering you have no idea what program he's talking about and what it does. Ever used photoshop with a few layers do to a big print? 1.5GB or higher files are pretty common, and when you factor in running a sharpening filter on this, 3GB is chewed up pretty quickly.
That's kinda funny, considering you are assuming I'm talking about loading it just into ram. Like I said, 3gb + page file is enough.

Back