32" 4K monitor IPS vs VA

Jeronimod

n00b
Hello,

I want to buy a 32" 4K monitor. This monitor will be mainly use for console gaming (PS4-PS5) and some office work (Excel, Word, Web surfing,etc)

I would like to have your recommandations between
LG 32UN650 (IPS)
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32un650-w-4k-uhd-monitor
LG 32UN500(VA)
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32un500-w-4k-uhd-monitor

The IPS Model is 496$ ans the VA is 346$.
Does the IPS realy worth the extra 150$? The main difference is the IPS vs VA, all the rest is the same except for the stand, but I will use a monitor arm, so it doesn't change anything for me.

Does the VA model is OK for console gaming and office work?

Console gaming, absolutely; having a 32" 4k VA on the desk right now, I wouldn't recommend it for office work. I'd actually recommend a 27" IPS at 1440p because the text on those is very sharp.

For office work either of them is fine and 4k at 32" is sharp enough. 27" while nice at 4k has limited workspace compared to 32". If gaming is a priority I actually would get the IPS, VA screens tend to smear badly in dark scenes (I have the LG UD3259-B and is super smeary even visible while browsing the web). On the other hand high refresh VA monitors should appear early next year, those should be better in that regard, if you can wait (https://pcmonitors.info/philips/philips-328m1r-120hz-4k-uhd-va-model/).

Does anyone know how these monitors compare with the Samsung QN32Q50 4K TV?

I'm looking for a secondary monitor - I currently have a 21.5" Dell and I'd like to get a 27-32" 4K panel

Nice thing about a TV is speakers and an optical out for watching video...

I am on the same boat here.
  • Lg 32un650 (2020 model. IPS panel)
  • Lg 32un500 (2020 model. VA panel. DCI-P3 90%. 350nits)
  • Lg 32ul500 (2019 model. VA panel. It seems this one have DCI-P3 95% and 300nits compared to the 2020 model)
  • Lg 32ul750 (2019 model.VA panel. I like this one because it is hdr600. But, reviews over the internet said it have a blackout problem, bad viewing angles, bad uniformity)
  • Dell s3221qs (2020 model.VA panel. Some early adopter claim bad viewing angles, and bad uniformity. This is common for VA curved panels)
  • Samsung qn32q50 ( VA panel.)

I am on the same boat here.
  • Lg 32un650 (2020 model. IPS panel)
  • Lg 32un500 (2020 model. VA panel. DCI-P3 90%. 350nits)
  • Lg 32ul500 (2019 model. VA panel. It seems this one have DCI-P3 95% and 300nits compared to the 2020 model)
  • Lg 32ul750 (2019 model.VA panel. I like this one because it is hdr600. But, reviews over the internet said it have a blackout problem, bad viewing angles, bad uniformity)
  • Dell s3221qs (2020 model.VA panel. Some early adopter claim bad viewing angles, and bad uniformity. This is common for VA curved panels)
  • Samsung qn32q50 ( VA panel.)

I don't really have an answer - but share your frustration. I've been looking hard for an acceptable 32 inch panel and have been really disappointed by what is currently available.

VA panels, while fine for TV / movies are not good for gaming, imo. Sadly they're plentiful, especially in the TV space.
IPS seems superior (been using an IPS monitor for years) - although they do get detractors on the contrast levels... I really haven't seen / missed out on deep blacks from a gaming perspective.
TN - middle of the road, meh, but some like them b/c cheap and plentiful.

There is some, slight indication that q4 2020 - q2 2021 may see several panel makers offering 32 inch IPS panels with 4k and decent refresh rates. There is very little info about these and even less on when they might be released / pricing. Expect expensive.

From what I gather there is very little innovation / incentive for innovation in the TV / Monitor space because:
  • Passive TV watching (sports, movies, etc) is the most common use for panels, and all they care about is size and price. Input lag is meaningless to this group.
  • People don't buy new TVs or Monitors at the same rate they upgrade other equipment, thus no need to innovate or compete for anything other than brand, size and price and some (OLED) tech - but not the things gamers (esp PC gamers care about)
  • Console players are more plentiful than PC players, and most console players value price (cheap) over performance and have low performance requirements, anyway.
    • Note: this may/should change with the introduction of PS / XBox capable of 4k coming out - but, again, demand isn't there yet (not yet in peoples homes) - thus supply isn't available
  • PC players have been satisfied with 24-27 inch panels with 1440, and not demanding 4k 32s in enough numbers to warrant production
    • Note: this may also change with Big Navi and Nvidia 3k series, and again, demand hasn't driven supply because paper launch, etc.
EDIT: A 'review' of the IPS LG you list at the top confirms some of this:
"Interestingly, unlike other creative-oriented monitor screen models, the 32UN650-W also appears to have a number of gamer-friendly accessories. FreeSync provides a stutter-free and tear-free experience, which is essential at 4K since even the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti struggles to deliver a reliable 4K / 60 experience. " https://www.techtoyreviews.com/lg-32un650-w-4k-hdr10-ips-display-monitor-with-freesync/

Interpretation: Until the gamer-space supplies demand for 4k 60 and above, there won't be supply - and the preceding generation of cards were both expensive and struggled to perform, hence small demand

All said - I'm really hoping that Christmas / early 2021 changes the scene on what's available... but for now, you can find some very expensive IPS 32s at 4k 60hz, some meh 32 va panels, some of which have 4k and other compromises -- you can check out some of my other threads on this forum for recommendations / announcements that others have posted: the Asus and Vizio panels are 'promised' but not delivered atm.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I have an LG 32GK850G .. 32”, 1440p, 165 Hz VA panel. I really like it, gaming included. It’s fast and responsive and I don’t notice smearing even in dark games like Control. I prefer it by far to IPS because I can’t deal with abysmal contrast anymore. I just spent a couple weeks with the LG CX 48 as my PC monitor and it was hard enough to go back to this VA panel with halfway decent 2500:1 contrast ratio. Overall I think VA LCD is the best compromise right now for PC use. Just wish this panel was 4k resolution with 120 Hz refresh. If Samsung would make a 43” Q90 4k/120 I’d buy it for sure.

I have an 43" LG 4k IPS, a 27" ASUS 2k IPS, and a 27" ACER 2k VA monitors. I have compared the same image on all 3 monitors and for me personally the image on IPS looks more vibrant and accurate. But for the work that you do and console gaming, I would choose the VA and save the money.

I bought the Lg 32un500. I have an Lg 32mn500 (IPS). I am not very satisfied with the monitor. My main complaint is the coating, I stopped buying monitors after using my hp w2408h (glossy). Maybe the Samsung 32q50 will offer better screen coating than any monitor.

Pros:
  • 4k resolution.
Cons:
  • Screen coating.
  • The viewing angles are really bad. The corner color shift even if you are watching straight.
  • The default settings are all over the place, especially the gamma and black equalizer. Gamma 1 and 4 seem more correct Gamma 1 is more greyish than black. Gamma 4 has better black levels. Gamma 2 and 3 crush blacks. The black equalizer default setting is 50 which is too much ( the Lg 32mn500 default is 50, which seems correct).

IMG_4042.JPEG

Lg 32un500

IMG_4050.JPEG

Lg 32mn500
IMG_4051.JPEG

The viewing angles are really bad. The corner color shift even if you are watching straight.
This is pretty typical for a VA and is the trade in for not having IPS glow (on IPS only blacks are like this, on VA every color, although arguably it's fainter than IPS glow). And so is smearing in black scenes, here some are acceptable, but most not so much. I also have a VA and am waiting for an affordable IPS (32" 4k)...

This is pretty typical for a VA and is the trade in for not having IPS glow (on IPS only blacks are like this, on VA every color, although arguably it's fainter than IPS glow). And so is smearing in black scenes, here some are acceptable, but most not so much. I also have a VA and am waiting for an affordable IPS (32" 4k)...
I placed an order for the Lg 32un650 (IPS, 487$ at amazon) a few days ago. For some reason, they delayed the shipping. I decided to cancel and bought the Lg 32un500. I might keep the Lg 32un500 until someone releases a 32" 4k IPS HDMI 2.1 with 60+ Hz for next-gen.

The 32un650 is 446$ presently on BH Photo Video, I think I should go with the 32UN650 (IPS)
Better color accuracy, DCI-P3 95%
I don't play in the dark, and I will not watch movies, etc, so I don't think the better contrast ratio of the VA is important for me.
Corner color shift of the 32UN500 are really bad (see Alfredo3001 pictures), I prefer the bette color accuracy of the IPS.

What do you think?

If you don't care about high refresh rate, this is one of the best VA monitors:
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/benq/ew3270u

frequently mentioned for image quality and color response
About as good as it gets on response times. Which should mean virtually no smearing, as there are only a couple of transitions which take longer than 16ms.
doesn't require the overdrive, to achieve those response times. So that means the image looks good, without overdrive artifacts.
Freesync and Gsync compatible.
competitive price

Back