32" 4k IPS monitor recommendation for design work

professional loser

Limp Gawd
Currently I am using a IPS Dell 30" (2560 x 1600) resolution monitor which is losing brightness as it is very old. I am looking for a new 30-32" monitor and move my current 30" for secondary use like browsing, reference images etc.

I don't play any games, strictly for design work.

I was thinking of getting something like a Dell IPS 30" 3017 monitor to match my current monitor but it costs similar to a 32" IPS 4k (3840 x 2160) monitor in Europe!

So I thought about getting a 32" IPS 4k monitor instead. Now there are so many choices that I am lost!
They range in price from $1200-1450 and more but I don't want to go that expensive. Under $1450 for me.

- Dell UltraSharp UP3216Q
- Eizo FlexScan EV3237
- ASUS ProArt PA328Q
- HP Z32
- LG 32UD89-W

....and some more! Grrr!!!

Any recommendation?

There are is one new 32" 4k pro grade monitor coming soon, and it's from Lenovo of all things.The Lenovo ThinkVision P32U will be design work , cad/cam oriented and msrps for $1349. I was in a similar boat, my 2490 wuxi was on its last legs, and i could not jump for the 32 nec version, clocking in at a hefty $2400 (I think I spent $1200 on mine 9 years ago). In any case, I got a placeholder from Viewsonic , VP2768 .

There are is one new 32" 4k pro grade monitor coming soon, and it's from Lenovo of all things.The Lenovo ThinkVision P32U will be design work , cad/cam oriented and msrps for $1349. I was in a similar boat, my 2490 wuxi was on its last legs, and i could not jump for the 32 nec version, clocking in at a hefty $2400 (I think I spent $1200 on mine 9 years ago). In any case, I got a placeholder from Viewsonic , VP2768 .

Does not look like the specs are any better than current 32" 4k ones? I have a good 24" IPS HP next to my current 30" so I am not is super rush but I find 24" too small.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1220...on-p32u-lcd-32inch-4k-tb3-with-daisy-chaining

Aim is to have 32" in the middle as my main monitor, on it's left the 24" in portrait mode....both connected to my offline work PC. Then current 30" on the right of 32"connected to my online PC for web, email etc.

Did you not like any of the current models? The Dell 32" 4k seems the most promising from quality/price point of view,

Lg or dell I would say. Steer away from AUO panels for now (the asus and hp may use that you need to research this) since they have some problems with image corruption (lines appearing out of nowhere few times a day). You can read more here https://hardforum.com/threads/occas...-panels-bad-for-it-will-it-get-worse.1950627/

Yeah I read those and other similar posts on other forums :-( So Dell UltraSharp UP3216Q is a safe bet? Just the price is higher, correct?
Btw does the Benq PD3200U even have real IPS panel in it?

Currently I am using a IPS Dell 30" (2560 x 1600) resolution monitor which is losing brightness as it is very old. I am looking for a new 30-32" monitor and move my current 30" for secondary use like browsing, reference images etc.

I don't play any games, strictly for design work.

I was thinking of getting something like a Dell IPS 30" 3017 monitor to match my current monitor but it costs similar to a 32" IPS 4k (3840 x 2160) monitor in Europe!

So I thought about getting a 32" IPS 4k monitor instead. Now there are so many choices that I am lost!
They range in price from $1200-1450 and more but I don't want to go that expensive. Under $1450 for me.

- Dell UltraSharp UP3216Q
- Eizo FlexScan EV3237
- ASUS ProArt PA328Q
- HP Z32
- LG 32UD89-W

....and some more! Grrr!!!

Any recommendation?

All monitors with 3840 x 2160 is UHD not true 4K only near 4K, there is a "LG UltraFine 5K" 27-inch Resolution: 5120x2880 - $1,299.95 for Photo and video editing, working with a multitude of windows, and watching high-resolution videos.

To understand what is UHD (3840 x 2160) & true 4K (4096x2304) is below hope it helps.
should-you-buy-a-4k-resolution-chart.png

All monitors with 3840 x 2160 is UHD not true 4K only near 4K, there is a "LG UltraFine 5K" 27-inch Resolution: 5120x2880 - $1,299.95 for Photo and video editing, working with a multitude of windows, and watching high-resolution videos.

To understand what is UHD (3840 x 2160) & true 4K (4096x2304) is below hope it helps.

Thanks, I was aware of that but in common internet speak.... :)
My eyes can't handle 5k on 32", let alone 27".

UHD 32" is my limit without scaling UI.

It's going to be tough finding anyone who has used enough of those to compare. That said, I have the UP3216Q and am impressed with it. I use it for photo editing, gaming and a bit of programming. I'll be getting a few photos professionally printed soon so will finally see how the colors translate to a page ... subjectively they look great but I have not calibrated it. Part of the reason I bought it is the rough calibration that they do from the factory which I hoped would be good enough for my purposes.

It's going to be tough finding anyone who has used enough of those to compare. That said, I have the UP3216Q and am impressed with it. I use it for photo editing, gaming and a bit of programming. I'll be getting a few photos professionally printed soon so will finally see how the colors translate to a page ... subjectively they look great but I have not calibrated it. Part of the reason I bought it is the rough calibration that they do from the factory which I hoped would be good enough for my purposes.

Do you use Photoshop CS6 by any chance?

I have not used the Dell 32, however I did use the UP2718Q model, and it looked great. Only issue is it felt too small at 4k. Icons and text seemed dizzyingly small (not a huge issue granted ) but the colors were spot on. Also, i didn't notice it, but there is an issue with the FALD on these screens that can cause some lag, not sure how that comes about.

I'm guessing you're using it for color critical professional work, based on your comments.

Personally, I'd go with the Dell UP3216Q, and Dell's warranty and support is excellent. Since it's presumably for your own business-related purposes, I highly recommend calling up a sales rep and they'll likely throw you a discount. I'd be surprised if they didn't cut you 15%, which would drop the monitor to around $1,149.

Trying to get hold of Dell is such a nightmare (Europe), I have failed so far. Found an online pre-sales contact form but it gives me "invalid data" error when I type a post and try to send it lol

I'm guessing you're using it for color critical professional work, based on your comments.

Personally, I'd go with the Dell UP3216Q, and Dell's warranty and support is excellent. Since it's presumably for your own business-related purposes, I highly recommend calling up a sales rep and they'll likely throw you a discount. I'd be surprised if they didn't cut you 15%, which would drop the monitor to around $1,149.

Choosing a 32" 4k (3840x2160) monitor is turning out to be a nightmare. Add to it the fact that I would need to buy a GPU too to drive 4k!!! With current GPU prices I am thinking of getting Dell 3017 (2560 x 1600) instead, if I can get it for around $800 in Europe.
Man!!!

Choosing a 32" 4k (3840x2160) monitor is turning out to be a nightmare. Add to it the fact that I would need to buy a GPU too to drive 4k!!! With current GPU prices I am thinking of getting Dell 3017 (2560 x 1600) instead, if I can get it for around $800 in Europe.
Man!!!

The worst part is that I postponed such a purchase (a Pro 32" 4K monitor with Adobe RGB) a year or more ago in the hope of more options in the future. Well, here we are again and things are still the same old story. I am really looking into getting an EIZO 24" for color proofing only and couple it with a 40-43" 4K for multitasking since a top of the line 32" 4K EIZO / NEC costs $3K+.

The monitor market is a mess.

BTW ASUS ProArt PA32UC looks to be a really good monitor and comes with X-Rite 1 but:

A) It is expensive
B) I read about it having serious issues (so beware and do research)

Man!!!

This was also the main reason I opted for the 2560 x 1440 27" viewsonic. I would need to get the quadro or firepro variants of my card (I'm running a 6gb 1060) for 10bit color, another $900 for barely adequate performance in some dcc apps.The next step up , which I was seriously contemplating was the Quadro p5000, roughly $2100.

This was also the main reason I opted for the 2560 x 1440 27" viewsonic. I would need to get the quadro or firepro variants of my card (I'm running a 6gb 1060) for 10bit color, another $900 for barely adequate performance in some dcc apps.The next step up , which I was seriously contemplating was the Quadro p5000, roughly $2100.

My needs for color proofing are maybe 10% of my total projects per year and this does not include photography editing / coloring but print projects. So I will get a 24 Pro monitor just to check colors on project start and before closing for print. For this I will keep my old PC and maybe add the most basic Quadro that can output 10bit color. For the rest of my workflow sRGB (Web Design) will suffice for now and what I need most is a big monitor with a high resolution for multi tasking. I am coming from a 30" 2560X1600.

If color proofing is needed then I would choose either the NEC spectraview series or eizo coloredge models. They have sizes ranging from 23"1080p to 32" 4k (around $800 for the 1080p ones).

If color proofing is needed then I would choose either the NEC spectraview series or eizo coloredge models. They have sizes ranging from 23"1080p to 32" 4k (around $800 for the 1080p ones).

Yes I am looking at those to be honest and then get whatever big 4K monitor that is decent is released this year for multitasking and real estate only. I could even get a TV but not bigger than 43".

What a shit company Dell is! So I am in central Europe and try to contact via their online form. They have 2 options, company with more than 100 people and company with under 100 people. Both forms don't work. Call them and get two options to choose from. One for tech support and one for sales enquiry.
Pick sales option get recorded voice to visit website and then goodbye lol

Really don't get it, I want to spend reasonable amount of money and my options are so limited!

What a shit company Dell is! So I am in central Europe and try to contact via their online form. They have 2 options, company with more than 100 people and company with under 100 people. Both forms don't work. Call them and get two options to choose from. One for tech support and one for sales enquiry.
Pick sales option get recorded voice to visit website and then goodbye lol

Really don't get it, I want to spend reasonable amount of money and my options are so limited!

Bear in mind that the Dell 3216Q had some banding problems (on greys) after calibration and there was a big thread in their forums about it. That was the reason I did not go for it back then. Now this might have been corrected with the latest revisions but do some research just to be on the safe side. You need to do a custom calibration for the problem to appear otherwise you won't be able to notice it.

Here is the thread in their forum (2015 though)
https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/UP3216Q-significant-banding-after-calibration/td-p/4743120

*******EDIT*********

The issue seems to have been resolved (see last comments on the above thread)

"The banding issue when calibrating the hardware LUT with DUCCS and i1 Display Pro is resolved. My Dell UP3216Q is on firmware M2T103. The new monitors come with this firmware. I am not sure if it can be downloaded or updated by users who have monitors with older firmware. I am using DUCCS 1.5.12"

Bear in mind that the Dell 3216Q had some banding problems (on greys) after calibration and there was a big thread in their forums about it. That was the reason I did not go for it back then. Now this might have been corrected with the latest revisions but do some research just to be on the safe side. You need to do a custom calibration for the problem to appear otherwise you won't be able to notice it.

Here is the thread in their forum (2015 though)
https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/UP3216Q-significant-banding-after-calibration/td-p/4743120

*******EDIT*********

The issue seems to have been resolved (see last comments on the above thread)

"The banding issue when calibrating the hardware LUT with DUCCS and i1 Display Pro is resolved. My Dell UP3216Q is on firmware M2T103. The new monitors come with this firmware. I am not sure if it can be downloaded or updated by users who have monitors with older firmware. I am using DUCCS 1.5.12"

At current price I don't find it good value for money. I decided to wait out for now :-(

Back