32" 4k display for design and 3d work.

professional loser

Limp Gawd
I have been waiting more than a year now, anything under $1400? All I see is the same old models. I don't really play games as such.

It will be purely used for design work.Is Dell UltraSharp UP3216Q worth it? Anything better for similar price? Ben q has that flicker issue.

What color space do you need? Adobe RGB?

Adobe RGB would be better but I don't do that much print work plus maybe sRGB might be good enough. Although definitely want IPS panel. Just came across a new monitor by Dell

Dell U3219Q 4K

Is only sRGB from what I gather. It is 350 cheaper than the older Dell UltraSharp UP3216Q, but Dell UltraSharp UP3216Q is Adobe RBG though. Maybe it is worth spending the extra on it but it is 2-3 year old model!!!!

What sort of design work?

The only real ones I can think of

ASUS PA329q
LG 32UD59-B

There’s the UD99 LG as well but that’s mostly a fake HDR thing which is a bit irrelevant.

I’d say just ask yourself how important the screen quality is to your design work, if color isn’t a prime motivator then just get something that will give you the size as that’s where you’ll get productivity.

If you need good color then suck it up on price (but nothing will be that good, it’s more prosumer stuff; I’d just go EIZO or NEC)

What sort of design work?

The only real ones I can think of

ASUS PA329q
LG 32UD59-B

There’s the UD99 LG as well but that’s mostly a fake HDR thing which is a bit irrelevant.

I’d say just ask yourself how important the screen quality is to your design work, if color isn’t a prime motivator then just get something that will give you the size as that’s where you’ll get productivity.

If you need good color then suck it up on price (but nothing will be that good, it’s more prosumer stuff; I’d just go EIZO or NEC)

There are a few more options tho and some very decent ones.

https://www.creativebloq.com/buying-guides/best-monitors-for-photo-editing

Personally I like LG but that is mostly out of habit. I worked with Lacie monitors before that.

Size and price (and 4K) was the main limitation. If you apply that filter it gets to be a pretty small pool. That’s a great list of monitors generally though

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#W=3000,3200&r=409602160,384002160

That’s the list of screens meeting the conditions.

I’d put it Eizo, ASUS, LG, but realistically for most applications the differences aren’t that great and you’re better off pulling the trigger on one you can afford if you can’t justify the higher ones.

You can spend what you like at the end of the day, the ‘best’ 30 inch monitor is like $31,000

Reactions: Auer
like this
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I got a Benq SW320 32" 4K and I am extremely happy with it...I do some print work too so Adobe RGB was needed.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA25V5H47159&Description=Benq SW320&cm_re=Benq_SW320-_-24-014-615-_-Product

BEWARE though!!!! I was very lucky and got a good panel at first try with the BenQ but there is a panel lottery with it so buy from a place you can return it no questions asked (I bought from Amazon.de). Then again, you are exposed to panel lottery with any model besides the good NECs & Eizos that cost 2X or 3X than all the rest....

I would not buy Asus simply because their customer support and RMA sucks (in Europe at least) and a monitor is something that you might need and RMA.

The Dell U3219Q is not on the same category with the UP3216 - it is a class under U vs UP series (P=professional) so have that in mind when it comes to features, calibration and support.

Finally, no matter what you get pay attention to Hardware calibration features and get at least an i1Display Pro or else you are not getting the most out of any of these monitors.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...m_re=i1Display_Pro-_-14S-007G-00003-_-Product

I got a Benq SW320 32" 4K and I am extremely happy with it...I do some print work too so Adobe RGB was needed.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA25V5H47159&Description=Benq SW320&cm_re=Benq_SW320-_-24-014-615-_-Product

BEWARE though!!!! I was very lucky and got a good panel at first try with the BenQ but there is a panel lottery with it so buy from a place you can return it no questions asked (I bought from Amazon.de). Then again, you are exposed to panel lottery with any model besides the good NECs & Eizos that cost 2X or 3X than all the rest....

I would not buy Asus simply because their customer support and RMA sucks (in Europe at least) and a monitor is something that you might need and RMA.

The Dell U3219Q is not on the same category with the UP3216 - it is a class under U vs UP series (P=professional) so have that in mind when it comes to features, calibration and support.

Finally, no matter what you get pay attention to Hardware calibration features and get at least an i1Display Pro or else you are not getting the most out of any of these monitors.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA17P5RB6088&Description=i1Display Pro&cm_re=i1Display_Pro-_-14S-007G-00003-_-Product

Do you have any ability to test VRR on it? I've never gotten a straight answer from BenQ if it would take a freesyc/forced VRR input.

Anyway I have narrowed down to these three 32" 4k IPS monitors-

Dell UltraSharp U3219Q 400cd/m2, 5ms (fast), 1,300:1 (sRGB: 99%, Rec. 709: 99%, DCI-P3: 95%) $1000

Viewsonic VP3268 350cd/m2, , 5ms (fast), 1,300:1 (sRGB: 99%, Rec. 709: 99%) $1000

Dell UltraSharp UP3216Q 300cd/m2, , 6ms (fast), 1,000:1 (Adobe RGB: 99, sRGB: 100%) $1300

Which would you go for?

https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VP3268-4K-Monitor-Calibration-Photography/dp/B0731LYY9P

My choice would be the Dell U3219Q--Dell makes great monitors and has excellent support on business class equipment. Used their Ultrasharp monitors for a fair period of time. The other Dell is nicer but those thick bezels!! Turned me off when I bought 4K monitors. I use two 4K monitors side-by-side and just didn't want 2-3 inches of bezel between them. Amazon showing $881 price on it now--that is a very attractive price.

As https://hardforum.com/members/jargongr.149972/ mentioned "The Dell U3219Q is not on the same category with the UP3216 - it is a class under U vs UP series (P=professional) so have that in mind when it comes to features, calibration and support." So that is certainly a factor. But those bezels!

The Viewsonic looks interesting as well for the same price as the mentioned Dell. Also the thinner bezels. Used their brand for years and had no problems.

Of course I'm partial to my two old Acer - B326HK monitors because they are bought and paid for! When purchased four or so years back, they were very decent and reasonably priced--all 4K was expensive then. They've been stable and nice to use work horses. Not a blip or burp in all that time. And pretty thin bezels. They have a couple of most-annoying quirks but I've learned to live with them. Their prices have not changed much over the years--somewhere around $750. Good to see Dell prices in the same ballpark currently.

When I'm in the market for monitors again, am going to check the Dell offerings as they have all come down in price a lot. Have been toying with a new build lately and researching monitors a bit. Thanks for helping with the research!

Make sure and read reviews of all the monitors you are considering--from reputable reviewers. And for sure find out the support status and service/return policies on each of them. If you do go with the U3219Q, I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts on it.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you have any ability to test VRR on it? I've never gotten a straight answer from BenQ if it would take a freesyc/forced VRR input.

I don't think it supports VRR (not officially anyway) since it is a professional monitor and 60Hz only....I did not buy it for gaming but work first sine my 30" 2450X1600 failed and was left with a 1080p monitor and could not wait....
I intend to get a second 4K or 1440p monitor too to complete a triple monitor setup (also have a 24" 1080p) and that will be targeted at VRR or 144Hz...

Now if you know how I could test VRR on the SW320 please let me know and could try it....

There are several new design-use new 32" 4K panels coming in 2019 -
- AUO has both new 99% Adobe RGB and 90% DCI-P3 panels coming,
- Auo also HAS the their "mini LED" (not to be confused with Micro LED) 32" 4K 60 panel that ASUS will use in their ProArt PA32UCX
- LG has a "Nano IPS" (premium IPS) 32" 98% DCI-P3 panel coming soon with HDR 600 support

LG also has a 32" 4K IPS panel with 144hz and HDR 1000 support with close to full BT 2020 coverage (probably means FALD and Quantum dot) but this will have a big premium and be marketed for gaming. I suspect it would be an excellent design use monitor too.

I don't think it supports VRR (not officially anyway) since it is a professional monitor and 60Hz only....I did not buy it for gaming but work first sine my 30" 2450X1600 failed and was left with a 1080p monitor and could not wait....
I intend to get a second 4K or 1440p monitor too to complete a triple monitor setup (also have a 24" 1080p) and that will be targeted at VRR or 144Hz...

Now if you know how I could test VRR on the SW320 please let me know and could try it....

It doesn't officially and would likely have a very small range but if you want you need Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) and to create a custom profile via it for your monitor. You set an easy range like 50-65 or something and test it. Keep extending the range until it doesn't work and now you know your monitors range.

The only part I would ask would be to see if it has any range at all. Knowing what unofficial range it supports would be great.

There is a guide to doing this somewhere on guru3d but I can't find it right now from my phone.

I just tested with the nVidia control panel since it does allow to create a custom resolution and set the desired refresh rate.....well......no go! Not a single Hertz @ 4K.....the nVidia utility allows you to test the custom settings and returns a prompt if successful asking if you want to keep this custom resolution......

I found this info in this thread https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...r-screen-refresh-rate-(Hz)-with-these-7-steps

To my surprise my secondary monitor that only have for, well a second display, works @ 72Hz 1080p - it is a 24" Samsung S24C750....which is not exactly new...

Back