32"@4K affordable class: Acer B326HK, Asus PA328Q, BenQ BL3201PT

Dang I was hoping a 32 inch monitor would do better at 100% scaling... I feel that 28 inch at 150 is a lot of wasted space for me.

It's fine at 100% scaling, but I do use 200% scaling in Chrome because I like to have bigger text on the web, for easier reading.

i don't wann sound like a naggers, but frame skipping test does not assures correct results if your exposure tiem only captures 3 squares. adjust the ISO or lower ambioent light so you can capture more blocks at the same time. 3 blocks proves nothing.

Eye Distance to monitor is about 75cm and I find Win7 100% on the 32" small but useable. Inside IE/Chrome I specially set to 150% for easier website reading.

I tried using Win 7 at 125% with the "use xp style scalling turned off" and find that to be easier on the eye but that aren't perfect as it makes parts of some apps look weird.

I can't wait for the win10 scaling as it is much better.

Excuse my ignorance regarding the BenQ or any 4k monitor for that matter, Im looking to build a new pc to go along with one of these 4k monitors, will any current video card work regarding getting the full 4k res? Thanks

Excuse my ignorance regarding the BenQ or any 4k monitor for that matter, Im looking to build a new pc to go along with one of these 4k monitors, will any current video card work regarding getting the full 4k res? Thanks

Any recent card with DisplayPort 1.2 output connector will work.

i don't wann sound like a naggers, but frame skipping test does not assures correct results if your exposure tiem only captures 3 squares. adjust the ISO or lower ambioent light so you can capture more blocks at the same time. 3 blocks proves nothing.

I disagree. Every configuration with visible frame skipping (stutters) was missing a block, either on an edge or the center block of 3. Every configuration at any working setting produced 3 blocks, even if one was fading away or coming into view.

Every. Single. Picture. Of over a hundred burst shots.

So my 32"@4K BenQ is on my desk, viewing distance at the moment is 60cm /2 feets, I just reduced brightness and no other settings done yet. First impressions (jumping from a 24"@2K): it is big but not too big, everything looks supersharp comparing to the 24", no reflections, PQ looks perfect.

Just got the BL3201PT and I'm in love. I took forever to make my decision (34" ultrawide, 144hz, curved Samsung TV, etc) but am convinced I made the correct one. No issues whatsoever with fonts being too small in Windows 7 @ 100% scaling. No scaling needed in browsers, either. 100% satisfied.

I think 100% is a bit small. 125% is great, because it makes text and such appear even better as it uses those extra pixels for more depth to the text.

Has anybody tried to optimize settings/calibrate the BL3201PT? What are your best settings and mode?

I haven't changed anything... running in standard mode with max brightness and default settings everywhere. Looks perfect to me honestly. And for the price and being labelled as "designer monitor," I'd imagine it shouldn't really need calibration.

My Benie positioned, note ergonomic setting with display touching the desk:

EIXbhjK.jpg

The monitor has optimal size for me, it is not too high. Picture quality is excellent, I like the round remote which makes manipulations of parameters very convenient.

The problem right now is all of these displays are DP 1.2 and not HDMI 2.0. And anyone with experience with displayport 1.2 knows about boot issues, no image, flickering, desktop re-sizing, and no-image on post when building a new computer with no OS installed yet. Anytime you have computer issues you have to have a backup HDMI cable.

DP 1.2 is just a serious pain. I have a Acer B326HK but I can't wait to dump it for a 2015 model with HDMI 2.0. Of course these probably won't come until at least winter holiday season 2015.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-217-SA
Soon a 32 inch IPS Samsung can be added to the list for consideration. It has freesync on board, a first for that panel size and I think an interesting feature for a 4K monitor.

True, though this monitor still does not have HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.3 so either another round of waiting or buying to know something better is behind the corner :D.

The problem right now is all of these displays are DP 1.2 and not HDMI 2.0. And anyone with experience with displayport 1.2 knows about boot issues, no image, flickering, desktop re-sizing, and no-image on post when building a new computer with no OS installed yet. Anytime you have computer issues you have to have a backup HDMI cable. DP 1.2 is just a serious pain. I have a Acer B326HK but I can't wait to dump it for a 2015 model with HDMI 2.0. Of course these probably won't come until at least winter holiday season 2015.

I have the new BenQ and absolutely z-e-r-o problems with the DP 1.2 so there is no need for HDMI 2.0. Thus my experience with DP 1.2 is totally positive, monitor just got connected and I forgot about connectivity.

Regarding your problems it is also hard to think for me that the reason is Acer monitor. Maybe there is problem with your computer? It is true my computer is new Win 8.1 with the GTX 970 graphics card.

I have the new BenQ and absolutely z-e-r-o problems with the DP 1.2

On mine there one issue, it tends to lose signal during boot, but it seems to be a GPU (GTX 970) issue and not the monitor itself.

On mine there one issue, it tends to lose signal during boot, but it seems to be a GPU (GTX 970) issue and not the monitor itself.

I also have this card and no problems until now though it is only couple of days. Maybe the motherboard/OS has something to do with it, mine is Win 8.1, X99 motherboard.

I use a gtx670 with the monitor output using dp and input using mdp and with the bundled mdp to dp cable. No problem whatsoever with entering and seeing bios boot screen, changing and gaming at different resolution. 2560 and 1920 gaming is all that my card can do.

However there are cards and monitor that has issues with dp unable to view bios but lucky not on my system for now. My wife's 760gtx and dell 2412m cannot show bios boot screen on dp

I'm really enjoying my Acer 32" 4k display and use it for gaming with no issue. I'm not as sensitive to response time or input lag as a lot of my friends are. Anything above 60hz starts to give me headaches in my temples so I'm stuck at 60hz. I'll probably buy two more if / when they go on sale again.

My BenQ report: nothing to report :D. Maybe that one can forget about HDMI 2.0/DP 1.3 since one would not be able to see any difference comparing to the present DP 1.2. BenQ is also working excellently with the Ubuntu Linux.

Picture quality is fine. Endless picture tuning is easy since the UFO-shaped remote makes it very convenient. Before, when tuning had to be done by pushing buttons on the monitor it was like a hassle. Now changing settings is a pleasure.

Took me a few days to post this up, but I got bored and noticed something odd when this monitor is displaying black... I am seeing random subpixels shine bright, and I have no idea why. I can't see them unless my nose is practically in the display, but I took some pictures with a macro lens on my phone to share. I also think my monitor has a dead LED along the bottom edge (if it's made like that, I'm not sure) right in the center. It is noticeably darker than anywhere else on the monitor.

Dark spot:

17061168888_7a8c734381_k_d.jpg

Subpixels:

17043432778_66eae0d52e_k_d.jpg

17231189555_cee00276f2_k_d.jpg

17205242976_c8988c0bfb_k_d.jpg

Also took some pictures of a 2/3 dead (blue and green subpixel don't work, and red is always on) and dim pixel (might be a tiny tiny piece of dirt in the panel) I have:

17023785417_4c90197d71_k_d.jpg

17043447608_40d53ce098_k_d.jpg

^But do you see this with naked eye :confused:. I am looking now at my Benie from 5" and it looks perfect to me. Analyzing subpixels with the magnifying glass sounds perversive to me :D.

Yes, I can see it with the naked eye - but only when my nose is practically in the display. Normal viewing conditions it is not visible at all. But it is still making the blacks brighter than they should be - probably not by much, but I'm sure it'd be scientifically measurable.

True, though this monitor still does not have HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.3 so either another round of waiting or buying to know something better is behind the corner :D.

I have the new BenQ and absolutely z-e-r-o problems with the DP 1.2 so there is no need for HDMI 2.0. Thus my experience with DP 1.2 is totally positive, monitor just got connected and I forgot about connectivity.

Regarding your problems it is also hard to think for me that the reason is Acer monitor. Maybe there is problem with your computer? It is true my computer is new Win 8.1 with the GTX 970 graphics card.

Part of it is probably the Acer monitor since it cycles through inputs when there is no active signal. But since I have used the LG 31MU97, Samsung UD970, Acer B326HK and they all exhibit pretty similar behavior, and I've had 3 different GPUs recently (970, 980, and TiX) and gone through total hardware changes twice, I'm more likely inclined to blame DP1.2 interface.

Also most of my complaints are fairly common in regards to DP.

^Since you have gone through so much card & monitor hardware maybe there is a problem with your computer?

With my Benie I have zero problems. The DP 1.2 I connected and would not remember it, if not reading about it.

Hello. How good or bad do this monitors display youtube.com videos? I watch a lot of music videos and most of them are decoded at 720p and 1080p (and in some instances at just 480p). Question is: when watching 720p and 1080p videos would I get the same, worst or better results than when I watch those videos in my 1080p/1440p monitors?

The other question is how good do the monitors handle video games at 1080p? I mean, if I decided to play a game not at 4K but at 1080p, would I get the same results as playing with a native 1080p monitor?

Thank you!!

Hello. How good or bad do this monitors display youtube.com videos? I watch a lot of music videos and most of them are decoded at 720p and 1080p (and in some instances at just 480p). Question is: when watching 720p and 1080p videos would I get the same, worst or better results than when I watch those videos in my 1080p/1440p monitors? The other question is how good do the monitors handle video games at 1080p? I mean, if I decided to play a game not at 4K but at 1080p, would I get the same results as playing with a native 1080p monitor?
Thank you!!

Start with this: How big monitors do you have now and how big would you like to have?

Received a BL3201PH last week and am supremely impressed since it exhibits very minimal glow and is actually useable from my normal viewing distance of 45-60cm compared to 30" IPS which I had to sit 121cm/4ft away from in order to not see vast amounts (30% of the display is lost to glow) of white glow in the bottom corners when viewing dark content. The colour presets are nearly perfect once set to the User Picture Mode and the User Colour Temperature is selected, the contrast is impressive (>1000:1 with minimal glow and a nice sparkly matte bezel which increases the perceived black depth) and it can cover 100% of the sRGB colour space. Its main draw backs are the placement of some of the connections and overshoot ghosting when the AMA is set to High (Default), but it's not severe (I think I may have a new unit or one with different firmware since the overshoot is minimal while PRAD's measurements suggest that it is extreme) and the AMA off setting is still pretty fast (oscilloscope measurements by PRAD). Aside from Steams tiny chat windows, I have not had any problem with Windows 7 scaling, but I only use Word, Powerpoint, Lightroom, Sony Vegas and Firefox. I think Displayport still has some issues since the colour presets changed significantly (became nearly perfect) after I restarted my PC, and this is the third monitor with DP which has had this issue. BenQ BL3201PH Before and After Reset colour measurements. The preset colour accuracy can be further improved once switched to the User Picture mode and User Colour Temperature is selected.

Last edited:
I'm going to try the 3201 if, as I suspect, the 4K 40" HDTV I ordered doesn't work out. Glad to see some positive comments on it here and elsewhere.

Received a BL3201PH last week and am supremely impressed since it exhibits very minimal glow and is actually useable from my normal viewing distance of 45-60cm compared to 30" IPS which I had to sit 121cm/4ft away from in order to not see vast amounts (30% of the display is lost to glow) of white glow in the bottom corners when viewing dark content. The colour presets are nearly perfect once set to the User Picture Mode and the User Colour Temperature is selected, the contrast is impressive (>1000:1 with minimal glow and a nice sparkly matte bezel which increases the perceived black depth) and it can cover 100% of the sRGB colour space. Its main draw backs are the placement of some of the connections and overshoot ghosting when the AMA is set to High (Default), but it's not severe (I think I may have a new unit or one with different firmware since the overshoot is minimal while PRAD's measurements suggest that it is extreme) and the AMA off setting is still pretty fast (oscilloscope measurements by PRAD). Aside from Steams tiny chat windows, I have not had any problem with Windows 7 scaling, but I only use Word, Powerpoint, Lightroom, Sony Vegas and Firefox. I think Displayport still has some issues since the colour presets changed significantly (became nearly perfect) after I restarted my PC, and this is the third monitor with DP which has had this issue. BenQ BL3201PH Before and After Reset colour measurements. The preset colour accuracy can be further improved once switched to the User Picture mode and User Colour Temperature is selected.

I too can not see any ghosting at High AMA or any other artefacts.

Overall this is as good monitor as the current LCD technology is able to provide. Practically it is prefect since one is not staring at very dark screen where glow is visible.

For me the height of the 32" display is ultimate for the desktop and I use it maximally lowered down, touching the desk (my desk has recess for the monitor base).

I can only imagine ever changing this monitor for a wider 21:9 curved one with the same height and the same resolution as the 32", this would be 5040x2160 pixels or just slightly more for the manipulation of full 4K windows, e.g. 5376x2304 pixels.

I've had the BL3201PH since late December now and I'm still 100% happy with it.

Any issues I've had are displayport related and were exhibited on both a 34UM95 and a U2415. I still haven't had it not wake up from sleep, but I've lost display on boot and had it come back once in Windows more than once.

For Steam I use PixelVision and just adjust the font size as the install instructions say.

If I go with the BenQ, I'll use the DVI connection to try to avoid any DP issues.

Any gaming problems?

I too can not see any ghosting at High AMA or any other artifacts.

I recall you posted the same thing about the 4k Samsung VA TVs with 120hz PWM...

If I go with the BenQ, I'll use the DVI connection to try to avoid any DP issues.

Any gaming problems?

It can only do 4K over Displayport (Specifications). To avoid issues, simply reset your PC after first connecting it. No need to worry about anything if you also like the Samsung 4k VA TVs with 120hz PWM, and I linked to PRAD's oscilloscope measurements above.

Last edited:
I recall you posted the same thing about the 4k Samsung VA TVs with 120hz PWM...

It can only do 4K over Displayport (Specifications). To avoid issues, simply reset your PC after first connecting it. No need to worry about anything if you also like the Samsung 4k VA TVs with 120hz PWM, and I linked to PRAD's oscilloscope measurements above.

Hi NCX. Any info about when will your BL3201 review will go public? BR,

Such good news reading about the BL3201! I ordered the BL3200 last week and I think it's a GREAT monitor for office working. I am used to IPS monitors so I decided to keep the BL3200 for my office and ordered a BL3201 for my home in which I also work, watch videos and play video games.
I think tomorrow they will deliver it and hopefully it will be better than the BL3200!

If I go with the BenQ, I'll use the DVI connection to try to avoid any DP issues. Any gaming problems?

That makes absolutely no sense IMHO. First, there are no DP issues due to the monitor, there might be issues related to the OS and/or old PC but then buying luxury 32" 4K monitor and not upgrading other components would be crazy. Second, using DVI with the 4K monitor means there is no 4K resolution, why buying 4K then :confused:. But anyway, there are no issues with the DP 1.2. Though I see sometimes little tremor when changing windows in Ubuntu Linux this is evidently not the DP or monitor problem but Linux/NVidia problem which might possibly be quickly eliminated by changing settings. In Windows 8.1 pictures are buttersmooth honey for the eye.

Yep, my bad. I thought DVI was 4K capable.

so is the Ben Q better than the Acer? ive got a Ben Q this is my 2ed one in a month and its really good apart from the odd glitch that is really annoying me tbh thinking of takeing it back for the Acer B326HK 4K

Back