32" 1080p Aquos owners: Convince me to ditch my Dell!

applebook

Limp Gawd
I'm seriously tempted by this beaut: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10085435&catid=23244#

This is the non-gamer version but has the same specs, minus the special chip.

After getting my xBox 360, I now have reason to want 1:1 mapping and 16:9 ratio, both of which my Rev. A02 Dell 2407 does not have.

In 720p mode via VGA, my xBox looks grainy. In 1080p or 1080i, there are horizontal scan lines that are hideous. HD-DVD looks especially annoying like that.

Plus, I'd like a new HDTV and retire my 7-year-old Sony Trinitron. That the Aquos has a built-in tuner is perfect because our digital supplier has tons of HD stations. I'll no longer have to download Lost just to see it in HD.

I know all of the positives and negatives regarding the Aquos and have read through most of its official thread. What I'm looking for are personal testimonies from those who've switched from 24" LCDs to the Aquos.

I'll primarily be using it with my Mac and occasionally will be playing an HD-DVD and xBox game. Most of my movie viewing will actually be on Windows or OS X.

What worries me about 1080p are the fewer horizontal pixels, which I would definitely miss in Word and web-surfing.

Is it an 8-bit or 10-bit panel? I assume that it's PVA?

Many in the Aquos thread seem to think that the text is sharp, and the viewing angles should be more consistent than the Dell, so I would think that it's a solid monitor.

If you want to upgrade to a great monitor, get a Westinghouse 37"

I chose it over a 30" dell and I'm happy I did.

If you want a great monitor, get a Westinghouse 37" I chose it over 30" Dell, and happy I did.
Yeah I have Dell 30" and its fine-----but you chose well to go Westy37 cuz IMO its more versatile.
To Original Poster.....
I've been watching the Aquos 32" and 37" screens in Best Buy, CircuitCity n' Sears stores for weeks, and the (10-bit?)colors are indeed "brilliant & beautiful."
But Aquos 32" model and 37" model "dynamic color" Circuitry can't be turned OFF and that worries me. I dont want auto-shifting colors on my screens.
You're worried about 1080P Text? I think text is crystal clear, well-formed, sharp-as-razor at 1080P. But the decision's yours, its your 'Nickel'. Good luck.

I'm satisfied with my Westy 37w3. I got it because I also wanted the correct aspect ratio for consoles and all the inputs. Computer monitors with component inputs tend to have crappy ones. The Aquos is a very nice TV and I would definitely take it over the Westy if the dynamic color could be disabled or I didn't use my PC on it. I like that the Aquos comes in 32", I think that would be perfect for me. 1080p at 37 is okay, but I think 1080p on a 32" would be more ideal for PC use. The problem with the Dell 30" for me is that the resolution is too high. You'll need a really sweet computer to play the latest games at native resolution.

I just bought one 4 days ago and I love it. The text is crisp and games are extremely nice. In addition, it is a great television. No dead pixels and even on very far angels, I can still see everything very clearly and the color is barely distorted at that distance.

don't agree with the above poster saying that it is not a great computer monitor because it is but you might need to calibrate it. I tinkered with my settings for a bit, and I realized that while my colors are good now, I am going to invest in a calibrator to get them even better because there is room for improvement. One gripe I do have is the dynamic lighting, and it does take a few days to get used to. Example is that if you have 2 IE's up, both windowed, and you click on one, the background one will be a bit darker due to the dynamic lighting. When you switch to the background one, it brightens up but the other window is now darker. It sounds odd but you get used to it and only on IE have I really found it noticable on first impressions.

By the way, you can see my pictures on the Sharp and Show LCD thread. The thing is a beauty and honestly, I think it looks better than the Westy.

I'm satisfied with my Westy 37w3.
I got it because I also wanted the correct aspect ratio for consoles and all the inputs.
1080p at 37" is okay, but I think 1080p on a 32" would be more ideal for PC use ....

Johhny, the Text on your 37" screen @1080p"-----is it sharp, clear, well-formed?
The text on a 32"@1080p is real fine IMO----but I haven't seen Text on a 37". Thanks

I just bought one 4 days ago and I love it. The text is crisp and games are extremely nice......
you can see my pictures on the Sharp and Show LCD thread.
The thing is a beauty and honestly, I think it looks better than the Westy.
Frost, did u buy Sharp 32" or Sharp 37"? The 62U version, or the gamer's GP1U version?
Where from? Price? What's their Return policy?
I'd like to see your pics, I'm sure they're great. Have u a Link? What forum? Big thanks !!

I bought exactly what was linked on the OP, 32" Sharp 62U.

I bought it from Circuit City for $1,399 plus tax (8.25% in California). Their return policy is 30 days no hassle so if you had 1 dead pixel you can return it the next day and get another or your money back with no restocking fee (Sears charges 15% so basicly $100). I also financied it through Circuit City for 12 months no interest. They do price match and I did talk to my local Fry's and they are getting more in soon so I can get $100 off ($1,299 at Fry's). Furthermore, it turns out if you are a AAA member you can get 10% off (thread found on these forums in the HotDeals section) after I bought it but unfortunately the terms and conditions do not let you apply that 10% on already purchased merchandise. I probably won't either for the $139 because I have no dead pixels while I have heard others have.

As for the pictures, you can find them on the "Got my Sharp Aquos LC-32GP1U "Gaming" 1080p display today!" (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1171795&page=12) and "Show Your LCD(s) setups!!!" (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=862341&page=183) Both contain the same pictures though.

As to the original poster - if you want something that you can watch HDTV at 1080P and at the same time use a great PC monitor, this is definately a strong choice. Another gripe might be though that I don't get PIP but I usually connect my old LCD up too and let my girlfriend surf while I watch TV or vice versa.

OP linked to bestbuy.ca (Canadian site) and AFAIK a Westy 37w3 in Canada is impossible to get.

OP linked to bestbuy.ca (Canadian site) and AFAIK a Westy 37w3 in Canada is impossible to get.

Exactly, the only Westing that's available is the W1, which, at $1199 CDN is very attractive, has a 12ms response rate that sort of worries me for casual gaming. I might ask BB if I may hook up my MacBook to it and see if it exhibits ghosting.

Back