31.5" 2560x1440 165 Hz VA G-Sync - LG 32GK850G

The stand-by power usage of this monitor is stated as 0.3 W, no LED on the back (link). But how long after PC shut down does it come in to effect? I measured about 15 W. After power off it really goes below 1 W. And there are some settings in the OSD - deep sleep and automatic standby. What do they mean as far as power consumption is concerned? 4 hours seems pretty long time for a minimum time. I assume after 4 h with no pc signal it will power off and the consumption will go down as in power off - 0.2 W.

PS. It appears that if you set 4/6/8h auto standby the display will switch off regardless if the pc is working and you pressing keys (or it is not this setting?). It displays a warning to press a key but pressing a key on KB does not do anything. Very tricky this monitor.
PS. Deep sleep - It draws 0.5 W.

Last edited:
I immediately noticed the "blurry" text with this monitor, using is side by side with a Dell 27" S2716DG. Maybe blurry isn't the right word; clearly pixelated. "Fuzzy." Like I am looking at everything through a very fine, mesh screen...

Any settings to help alleviate this issue? I otherwise love this monitor, but I find myself dragging my browser over to my other screen more to read stuff.

I mean I would not call it "low" PPI but if you're saying this is just an inherent feature of 32" 1440p viewing then I'll just get used to it. It's not a deal breaker for me. My only other 32" is a 4k so I have no reference to compare to really.

I mean I would not call it "low" PPI but if you're saying this is just an inherent feature of 32" 1440p viewing then I'll just get used to it. It's not a deal breaker for me. My only other 32" is a 4k so I have no reference to compare to really.

May also be the panel, we don't have a lot of examples. It is a pretty unique panel.

It excells in gaming. Try enabling nvidia freestyle in games. It allows you to bump up the digital vibrance (~color saturation) a bit and also allows you to add a sharpness filter which makes a big difference. There are a bunch of filters with sliders and freestyle remembers your adjustments on a per game basis. Unfortunately you can't sharpen the desktop /apps but you can bump the digital vibrancy in the nvidia drivers' desktop color section at least.

I'd also recommend not running your text size too small for the ppi. E. g. I don't attempt to shrink my scaling of the 32" 1440p text to match that which I'm using on my 4k 43" or my 27" 1400p. Cleartype tuning also helps a bit.

Last edited:
It excells in gaming. Try enabling nvidia freestyle in games. It allows you to bump up the digital vibrance (~color saturation) a bit and also allows you to add a sharpness filter which makes a big difference. There are a bunch of filters with sliders and freestyle remembers your adjustments on a per game basis. Unfortunately you can't sharpen the desktop /apps but you can bump the digital vibrancy in the nvidia drivers' desktop color section at least.

I'd also recommend not running your text size too small for the ppi. E. g. I don't attempt to shrink my scaling of the 32" 1440p text to match that which I'm using on my 4k 43" or my 27" 1400p. Cleartype tuning also helps a bit.

Do you still have to create an account to use GFE?

I think I plugged in one of my gmail/google ones.

I'm currently looking for a new monitor, how does this compare to the Acer Predator Z321QU 31.5-inch? I've got one at my house I'm testing out against the Asus PG279Q 27".

The negative things about the Acer VA are that the colors aren't quite as good as the IPS, and it has some subtle yellow splotching on pure white backgrounds on the right curve area, but the contrast/black level is solid.
There is a bit more motion blur with the VA as well and I as stated above I also noticed in general the text is not as clear.

But the 31.5 is super immersive and fun and I don't mind the curve, I weirdly actually kind of like it at times, other times it is distracting.

I ordered a LG 32GK850G to test out and took the Z321QU back, wasn't 100% sold on the curve and the colors compared to the Asus PG279Q, plus motion blur just made it so I couldn't justify keeping it. We'll see how the LG does, I'm hoping it's a keeper.

Last edited:
Has anyone moved to this from a 32" 4k screen?

I'm seriously considering moving from my Dell UP3216q for gaming due to IPS glow; my only concern is the pixel density for non-gaming purposes.

Alternatively; if anyone has used 2x 32" monitors side-by-side in an ergonomic way I'd be open to hearing about it; but I really feel like that might be pushing it in terms of desk comfort..

Option b for me is the X27; but that's nearly triple the price; and I lose 5"; and I still have the potential of dealing with IPS glow and/or the variable dimming halo effect - all of which feel like theyre borderline value compared to this guy.

Aside from playing black mesa and poe in 2.5:3 ratio, it's hard to play anything else at ultra settings with 165fps min fps to sustain good response time:notworthy: , back to searching for 4k 40" for now

I would not get this monitor for desktop/apps unless you are ok with the old 1080p TV/"softened" ppi look of the first generations of 27" 1080p monitors. Its pixels aren't quite as large as that but compared to a 27" 1440p or a 4k it is noticeably different on the desktop/in apps.

-- A 1080p 27" is 81.59 ppi . My old HANSPREE 28" (27.5") 1920x1200 monitor was 82.33ppi .
--This monitors is ~ 93.24 ppi which is better and is about the same as a 23.5" 1080p monitor.
--43" 4k is 102.46ppi, 27" 1440p is 108.8 ppi

The color is a little neutral so it benefits from bumping up the digital vibrance a few percent in the nvidia driver's desktop color settings panel as well as tweaking the RGB sliders in the monitor's OSD.

---------------------------------

For gaming it really shines:

... 31.5" size is great

....it has ~ 3000:1 contrast ratio and good black depths which are both about 3x or more than what IPS and TN are capable of (aside from the $2k FALD hdr 27"diag, ~13" tall ips ones).

....You can also use nvidia's Freestyle, which is like an e-z mode of the 3rd party "Reshade" app and was made with help from the reshade app developer I believe. Freestyle allows you to bump up the DIGITAL VIBRANCE,,,, SHARPNESS (a few percent more looks great - or even less might be desirable on some bitmappy games) and several other settings that I usually don't bother with much. You can do this on a per game basis and freestyle will remember the settings. You can also hotkey freestyle and adjust the settings on the fly if you want to micromanage. For example, you really like the black depth you set it at for the outdoor areas of the game but then you realize you'd like to tweak it to being a little less aggressive for a poorly lit cavern crawl part of the game or until you find that one doorway or object, etc. I usually just tweak it a bit , set and forget personally though. It really makes my games pop and makes the monitor well worth it to me once augmented.

Unfortunately none of the freestyle or reshade filters work on the desktop rendering in windows for all of your "non-game" rendered apps, browsers, and file managers and there is no sharpness slider in nvidia desktop drivers applets.

That said, the text is very usable after tweaking cleartype tuner settings as long as you don't try to shrink the text size or scaling down on the 31.5" 2560x1440 monitor smaller than the ppi/subpixels can handle clearly.

I have a 4k 43" set back a bit on my left side and a 27" 1440p on an arm on my right side. As long as I don't try to make the text size as small on the 31.5" LG gaming monitor as my other two monitors it's usable as extra desktop space but where it really shines is when you launch games with freestyle bumping them up to look even better.

Last edited:
Aside from playing black mesa and poe in 2.5:3 ratio, it's hard to play anything else at ultra settings with 165fps min fps on this:notworthy: , back to searching for 4k 40" for now

G-sync allows your fps to fluctuate smoothly so really as long as you straddle a high fps margin you are getting a lot out of a higher fps monitor like this one with a decent gpu. However, even with the overdrive on this VA being way better than other reviewed VA gaming monitors, it probably starts to trail/smear blacks above 120fps+hz anyway so personally I'm not that focused on 165. Games like overwatch and some others get good fps, and depending on your gpu(s) some other games can get 140fps average too. You can cap games to 118fps peak or 158fps peak using some games' fps limiter in their own options or you can use use Rivatuner

100fps+hz average gets appreciable gains in a span of 70 - 100 - 130(+) FpsHz. That's the lowest average I would find useful.

120FpsHz average would prob get 90 - 120 - 150 FpsHz relying on g-sync so is an even better target. Capped is advisable.

Of course the higher you bring the low end up the better but those rates are very appreciable gains, and of course they are more likely to be achieved on a 2560x1440 monitor than a 3840x2160 one.

------------------------------------

At 60 FpsHz you have the baseline. Smearing blur during FoV movement/Camera Panning of entire game world in relation to you in 1st/3rd person games.

At 100 FpsHz you start getting 40% motion clarity increase compared to 60 FpsHz baseline.
So 100 FpsHz is cutting sample-and-hold blur 40%.
It also increases the motion definition (e.g. more unique frame-states in a animation flip book per second) by a 5:3 ratio compared to 60 FpsHz baseline.
That means it shows 10 frames to every 6, or 1.6:1

At 120 FpsHz you start getting 50% motion clarity increase compared to 60 FpsHz baseline.
So 120 FpsHz is cutting the sample-and-hold blur 50% which results in more of a soften filter/blur rather than smearing when moving the viewport around at speed.
It also increases the unique motion definition states by 2:1 ratio compared to 60 FpsHz baseline.
That means it shows double the frames of action states (12 frames to every 6 you'd see at 60 FpsHz).

At 144 FpsHz you start getting around 60% motion clarity increase compared to 60 FpsHz baseline but on a VA monitor like this you'll start getting more black trailing/smear.
So normally 144 FpsHz would cut the sample and hold blur by 60% but the VA smear starts intruding above 120 FpsHz.
It would also increase the unique motion definition states by a 2.4:1 ratio (12 frames to every 5 shown at 60 FpsHz)

ALY9lQS.png

Last edited:
Would you recommend capping the refresh at 120? I'm hardly ever gonna hit 120fps in AAA with everything on anyway even with my 2080 ti. Thanks.

As long as you don't exceed the refresh rate max of 165 Hz you won't revert back to v-sync and add input lag.

On some games you can go over 165 Fps in your frame rate graph's highs though so capping near 165 Fps is still a good idea there.

---------------------------

Regarding 120 Fps capping at 118fps I would say:

-Capping below 120 FPS keeps the frame rate durations more within the response time limits of the monitor at it's worst transition speeds.
-It depends how much you notice black smearing on higher FpsHz range capable games and how much it bothers you.
-It also can depend on each game's visual style since it's a white-grey/black transition that is the slowest, so some game's visual styles can exacerbate the issue.
-Depends how much of/how frequently your frame rate graphs are spiking past 120psHz.

Some games allow you to set an fps limit in their own options menus so in those cases you could set them individually to your taste in regard to their fps averages/ranges and the game's color schemes/styles and see it it's worth the difference.

Otherwise you can enable and use rivatuner for games that don't have their own limiters if you want to limit them.

So overall it's not necessary to cap but it can definitely be worthwhile to do so vs input lag on easy to render games and black smearing/aftershadow reduction/elimination at what would otherwise be higher fps ranges than ~ 120.

Last edited:
Well I'm getting in the 80-120 fps zone for AAA games like AC:Odyssey and Battlefield V. So I assume I should just set the monitor to 144 and leave it?

Yep that's fine. Only if you're well into over 120fps and noticing black smearing that bothers you enough or if you are regularly over 165fps in a game and noticing input lag would most people bother to cap it.

To be clear I'm talking about capping the fps using the in game menu frame rate limiter if available and if not, using rivatuner software

- not turning the Hz down in the monitor settings However since you aren't trying to push it personally I wouldn't bother overclocking the monitor to 165 and would just leave it as you said at 144Hz for those gaames. Even if you end up frame rate capping some other higher frame rate ranged games later 144hz is fine since the game won't exceed the max Hz when capped. and when using g-sync will only match the maximum frame rate of the cap in Hz (e.g. 118Hz when capped at 118 Fps).

Last edited:
I got the LG 32GK850G-B and there is a lot to like about it, especially compared to the Acer Z321QU. I will ask though is there anything that can be done about the blurring effect when panning the camera in games such as AC:Odyssey?

I calibrated the monitor according to TFT and I'm using their ICC profile, other than increasing the brightness I think the colors and contrast/black levels look great. The colors aren't quite as vibrant as the Asus PG279Q I have but they aren't too far off. If there was some way to reduce just a little more of the that blurring effect when panning I'd be set. Although some of it might just be that it's a lot more screen to look at and the perception is different than looking at the 27", although the blur was not as apparent on the Asus PG279Q.

Last edited:
I got the LG 27GL850G and there is a lot to like about it, especially compared to the Acer Z321QU. I will ask though is there anything that can be done about the blurring effect when panning the camera in games such as AC:Odyssey?

I calibrated the monitor according to TFT and I'm using their ICC profile, other than increasing the brightness I think the colors and contrast/black levels look great. The colors aren't quite as vibrant as the Asus PG279Q I have but they aren't too far off. If there was some way to reduce just a little more of the that blurring effect when panning I'd be set. Although some of it might just be that it's a lot more screen to look at and the perception is different than looking at the 27", although the blur was not as apparent on the Asus PG279Q.
27GL850G isn't released yet, you sure about that? :cigar:

whats your frame rate average in odyssey? did you ever play that game on the other monitors? Have to ask if there is a motion blur setting in the advanced graphics settings you coukd disable too.

a few suggestions..

Make sure that your monitor's overdrive OSD setting is on max.
Make sure that any in game display settings are set to 120hz or higher.
Make sure that your monitor is set to 120hz or higher.
That your nvidia driver's 3d settings is set to "use highest available".

Gamer 1
Black stabilization: OFF
Response time: FASTER (the overdrive on this monitor is excellent)

Try turning your in game settings down until you get 100fps or 120fps average or better to see if it's still blurred as much.

Try sitting back a bit further just as a test.

Try another similar third person game like shadow of mordor/war or tomb raider etc and see if it still happens.

Last edited:
Assassins creed odyssey graphics settings :
-----
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...ics-performance-how-to-get-the-best-settings/

" Adaptive Quality setting. This kicks in when your frame rate drops below either 30fps, 45fps or 60fps (depending on which one you pick) and dynamically adjusts the game’s anti-aliasing (or edge-smoothening tech) to help push the frame rate back up."

"Depth of Field also affects performance, so knock it down to Low or turn it off completely if you’re still finding the game chugs a bit. Turning it off will bring all objects into focus, while low blurs stuff further away, "

----

.. Apparently there is also a dynamic resolution setting which will drop the resolution on the fly to preserve frame rates. This can make things less crisp.

I don't own Assassins creed odyssey but read it uses taa anti-aliasing which could cause motion blur. So try disabling anti-alias.

Thanks for the info, appreciated. Yeah, it's not too bad and I really think most of it is just that at the larger size it is more noticeable now, and it's not that bad. Otherwise playing the game on the new LG is tons of fun. I think this one is my new monitor. I know next year there will be some cool 4k's coming out but seriously how in the world could you play with full graphics and expect even over 60 fps?! My 9700k plus 2080 ti is just now acceptable at 2k!

I immediately noticed the "blurry" text with this monitor, using is side by side with a Dell 27" S2716DG. Maybe blurry isn't the right word; clearly pixelated. "Fuzzy." Like I am looking at everything through a very fine, mesh screen...

Any settings to help alleviate this issue? I otherwise love this monitor, but I find myself dragging my browser over to my other screen more to read stuff.
The pixel structure has typical VA larger spacing making it easier to see the "mesh"/"screen door effect" aka the black space between pixels, on some panels this causes horizontal lines (Samsung 31.5" 1440p VA).

ygE0a7s.jpg

More here: https://imgur.com/a/0ewvudg

Another thing is that 31.5" VAs often have split pixel structure as you can see this AUO VA has and dimming is not done of a full pixel at once but split into 2 parts.

From my experience the structure and split dimming doesn't have a huge impact on perceived sharpness, the mess ups they do in firmware are much worse and unfortunately common on 144Hz monitors.

There is no way to fix blurriness or structure. Blurriness/sharpness can be adjusted on good monitors in their OSD or they come with no input image sharpness alterations and there is no need to adjust anything (Q3279VWFD8).
Try the 850F/650F/PX329 if you want sharpness adjustment, the 850F finally dropped to more reasonable price in EU last month. By default the x50F are blurry from what I saw posted but have adjustment in OSD, 850G has no adjustment because... Nvidia.

Would you recommend capping the refresh at 120? I'm hardly ever gonna hit 120fps in AAA with everything on anyway even with my 2080 ti. Thanks.
If you want to use adaptive sync of any name (that's all the difference there is really) then you may want to cap framerate slightly below max refresh rate if want to stay in the adaptive sync range and not get Vsync capped or get tearing above the range or if going over the range causes momentary stutter or something.
Capping frame rate low will only exacerbate the smearing black issue. Such as playing 24fps movies each new frame shows same movement more far than if you had a movie at 144fps. The lower the framerate the worse the smearing gets. The only exception would be if the overdrive was very bad at high refresh, which it isn't unless you still believe in the TFTCentral mess up. You can test all this yourself easily with UFO.

Also adaptive sync mode at least on 850G has different OD than when AS is turned off, this kind of goes for all Gsync monitors really as in adaptive sync mode Nvidia often runs more aggressive and even artifacting OD.

Good news today, nvidia just announced they will enable gsync on all adaptive sync monitors through a driver update coming january 15. RIP gsync hardware, long live gsync/freesync/VRR. I was expecting this to happen eventually, but not so soon.

Thanks for the info, I saw that about Freesync with nvidia on select models. All good, but I think I will be keeping the LG, been messing with it over the weekend and I'm happy with it. :)

I know this is a very long shot, but has anyone here ever tried comparing F and G models while connected to an nVidia GPU and could share what monitor you'd prefer?

Currently, the 2 models are costing less than $30 apart, and I own a GTX 1080, wondering if going for wide gamut/Blur reduction is better or G-Sync.

I am not betting on G-Sync working on F model.

Yeah there is always a catch! Well I don't want to be limited to 100hz, so maybe keeping those Gsync monitors is not such a bad idea for now?

Bought this to try out; could not handle the text fuzziness after coming from 32"/4k. Bummer. Just left me with a headache.

Sent back to B&H and picked up a different screen. :(

I took it directly from imgur, weird I can click the links just fine. I will repost the comment:

Can anyone post their impressions on their monitor's BLB and/or clouding? A photo would be helpful. I had to get a replacement for a shipping issue, but the original one showed no BLB or clouding (maybe because it wasn't warmed up yet) but this one has significant issues in my opinion, based on what I have read about the lack of any BLB or clouds from both users and thorough technical reviews:

http://i.imgur.com/Y6vTsIO.png

http://i.imgur.com/U6pRkRR.png

http://i.imgur.com/swUuqx9.png

The circled areas are where it's really noticeable and not just due to the angle of viewing for a VA panel. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Back