31.5" 2560x1440 165 Hz VA G-Sync - LG 32GK850G

HELP !
I have an msi gaming x 1080

I have been looking at 3 monitors
LG 32GK850G Black 31.5" QHD 1440p 5ms 144Hz/165hz D-Link NVIDIA G-Sync Gaming Monitor $814
Viotek 32" 1800R Curved 1440p 144hz Gaming Monitor Free sync $499
Vast 35-Inch Curved Gaming Monitor 3440 x 1440p 100hz Free sync $599

the LG along with all the others like it are $800+

What should I get?
I want to say money is not the problem but it is. Is $200 going to make that big of a difference???

ps the LG is $799 at amazon...........WHEN are the new 2018 monitors coming out?

Does this monitor NOT have a vesa mount?

Acer Predator Z321QU bmiphzx Black 31.5 $686
is this an option?

I've gone back and forth on picking one up all week. Today I decided, fuck it... It'll be here Monday.

Should be a nice upgrade from my 40 inch Samsung TV.

It's Monday... well Tuesday morning. Screen is in - no dead pixels.

Feels snappy, but I won't have a chance to beat on it for a few days. Definitely noticing the lower PPI, and it's yellow, very very yellow.

I should really buy a colorimeter...

Does this monitor NOT have a vesa mount?

Acer Predator Z321QU bmiphzx Black 31.5 $686
is this an option?

It does not have a standard VESA mount, but as I understand it, there's a bracket/adapter available from LG for that purpose. I have not looked into it yet, though.

It's Monday... well Tuesday morning. Screen is in - no dead pixels.

Feels snappy, but I won't have a chance to beat on it for a few days. Definitely noticing the lower PPI, and it's yellow, very very yellow.

I should really buy a colorimeter...

See, mine was just the opposite. Coming from a Dell U2711, this LG monitor felt very "cool" to me. Whites have a slight bluish tint, even with the monitor set to warm. But I've since taken the U2711 to work to use there, and next to all those monitors, it looks VERY "warm", leading me to feel like my perception of the U2711 has been off this entire time. Hmm.

These are $679 shipped right now on Ebay via Newegg. My Acer X34P died after less than 2 weeks of use. Returned it to Microcenter and just ordered this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-32GK850...835575?hash=item4671bbacb7:g:BlgAAOSwFSxaNSi3

This is approaching the realm of reasonable. I'm torn on giving this thing a try ... I've been thinking about ordering one for like a month. I already have a Dell 32" 4k (UP3216Q) though which I am not sure I want to give up. It's too nice for everything except gaming, and having never used high refresh rate (well, since CRTs) or Gsync before, it's hard for me to quantify what I'm missing. If it came down a couple hundred more I'd just buy it and keep the Dell ...

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This is approaching the realm of reasonable. I'm torn on giving this thing a try ... I've been thinking about ordering one for like a month. I already have a Dell 32" 4k (UP3216Q) though which I am not sure I want to give up. It's too nice for everything except gaming, and having never used high refresh rate (well, since CRTs) or Gsync before, it's hard for me to quantify what I'm missing. If it came down a couple hundred more I'd just buy it and keep the Dell ...

Guarantee you that every one you buy from that Ebay deal will have dead pixels or some problem. They're not just going to give up hundreds of dollars. Something is up with those.

Guarantee you that every one you buy from that Ebay deal will have dead pixels or some problem. They're not just going to give up hundreds of dollars. Something is up with those.

Don't guarantee something you have no clue about. This monitor has been on sale directly from NewEgg for $649. Besides, how would they know which sealed monitors from the factory have defects? Total nonsense.

Some monitors have been known to have QC issues, but they are in no way related to any deal or store.

The seller is newegg, item is listed as new :p

and it's Plus shipping. I'm assuming shipping + insurance would be around $50

I decided to order one of these from that Newegg eBay deal. I tried a 144Hz panel for the first time at PAX East this weekend in the PC free play section and it was night and day in terms of motion fluidity and tracking targets compared to my 60Hz panel. Aim accuracy in Overwatch with hit scan characters like Soldier 76 went through the roof for me, despite the tiny mousepads and high sensitivity on those cramped rows of PCs.

Looking forward to getting it -- I think I'll keep my other panel around for a while or possibly sell and swap for a smaller 27" Dell IPS for general use.

Just received the monitor and got it all hooked up. It is all i had hoped for and more. I have tried a few high refresh rate G-SYNC monitors, and this is overall the best.

Dell S2716DG - First GSYNC monitor. Honestly, i was impressed at first because of the refresh rate and GSYNC. The colors suck, even after calibration and tweaking. I wanted something bigger and with better color and view angles.

Acer X34P - Good looking curved monitor with noticeable backlight bleeding. Display port died after 2 weeks. Returned to Microcenter for full refund.

Ordered this LG 32gk850g for $680 Shipped. Maybe i got lucky but i got one with no dead pixels, no dust. No bleed.
165Hz with GSYNC on 32" looks awesome. The resolution for this viewing distance is perfect for my eyes. Anything more and i have to start using Win scaling. Overall i think its a great buy for the price.

Any questions let me know.

25so9ro.jpg

I really, really like mine as well. Coming from a Dell UP3216Q so there are a few things I miss -- 4k resolution with much nicer and more professional build quality, but that's about it. On the other hand, the deep black levels in comparison to the IPS panel are extremely nice, better than I was imagining. 1440p is actually preferable for gaming to me because it's easier to run, most of the time I ran my Dell at lower resolution for more demanding games anyway. And 165 Hz, the whole reason I bought it, is just crazy. Like I said in my last post, I've been trying to decide if it's just hype for a while, and now that I've used it, it's not .. very noticeable and very real improvement. Would not go back.

Just received the monitor and got it all hooked up. It is all i had hoped for and more. I have tried a few high refresh rate G-SYNC monitors, and this is overall the best.

Dell S2716DG - First GSYNC monitor. Honestly, i was impressed at first because of the refresh rate and GSYNC. The colors suck, even after calibration and tweaking. I wanted something bigger and with better color and view angles.

Acer X34P - Good looking curved monitor with noticeable backlight bleeding. Display port died after 2 weeks. Returned to Microcenter for full refund.

Ordered this LG 32gk850g for $680 Shipped. Maybe i got lucky but i got one with no dead pixels, no dust. No bleed.
165Hz with GSYNC on 32" looks awesome. The resolution for this viewing distance is perfect for my eyes. Anything more and i have to start using Win scaling. Overall i think its a great buy for the price.

Any questions let me know.

View attachment 65896

Thanks for the review. I am considering getting this to replace my 40" JU6700 4k set. Trying to decide between this or waiting for the HDR variants later in the year, but they seem like they will just be so expensive.

Actually I've returned lg 24gm79g. I also had two aoc ag251fg's and two u2417h's in last 6 months... I was not satisfied with any of those. ag251fg had way to bad blb and clouding, u2417h also had blb and weird colors, lg has bad colors too and huge contrast and gamma drop at high refresh rates...

Now I am again on a crossroads and have no idea what to buy...
Part of me think it's a good (and smart) idea to buy something like Eizo ev2451 or some Nec. Great calibration, solid colors. But other part of me know it will not have a wow factor I probably want and that black levels will disappoint... at the end it would probably look like ever run of the mill 60hz ips for 100$.
24" 1080p I can get withhout gsync but with 1440p gsync is a must with gtx1060.

Few questions - how is gamma measurement at different refresh rates? I am afraid the screen will reach like 2.0 and look washed out. I like playing darker games like Alan Wake, Bloodborne on ps4, Dark souls123 and so on. I also watch movies and shows a lot.
how is blb?
how is ghosting?
how is 1080p scaling?

I did had amva monitor iiyama xb2483hsu b2 but it shimmered with dark patterns and ghosted quite a lot. It wasn't oo bad really but I sold it because of very low gamma and dust under the screen.
The viewing angles were great and gamma shift was not a problem at all for me. IMO amva have (at least on that iiyama) better angles than ips.

edit: Sorry for making this a "purchase advice" but if not here where people have experienced many montirs, then where ?

Last edited:
Yeap, decent for a VA some transitions still slow, but serviceable. Now if they could make it in 4k I would pull the trigger :)

I'm sick of IPS and TN 850:1 ~ 980:1 contrast ratio and poor black depth for gaming and videos. The newer VA's are reportedly/reviewed to be tight to about 120fps-hz and are about 3000:1 contrast ratio and around triple the black depth of ips and tn even without FALD (which would prob improve both by 30% or more).

Getting a high hz monitor without being able to hit at least 100fps-average isn't really getting anything out of the higher hz capability either, so 4k's frame rates would be worse than 1440p if you have a single 1080ti or lower on demanding games since you will be back down to 60fps-hz range's (or lower) full smearing blur during FoV movement at speed in 1st and 3rd person games (as well as half the motion definition/articulation and smoothness or worse).

That said, 4k 120hz native with input lag reduction tech and VRR (variable frame rate) are coming in hdmi 2.1 tvs next year. LG OLED and hopefully TCL's new OLED printing line. That's why while this is a tempting monitor to me for the larger form factor and VA black depth and contrast, dropping $800+ on one this late in the game - and without true HDR, OLED or FALD in addition to lacking HDMI 2.1 features - seems a bit much considering I have a decent gaming monitor that can hold me over. I realize the newer ones will cost a lot more but I'd rather save that $800+ toward a 31" TCL or 55" LG 120hz hdmi 2.1 HDR OLED even if I have to wait it out.

Last edited:
I want to upgrade my 32" 1080p IPS 60HZ (can o/c to 75Hz). I use it for web-browsing, home office (word/excel) and gaming. My wife (no-gamer LOL) uses the rig during day as well.

I have few question to owners before pulling the trigger:

1) I've read some reports the text is not as sharp as it is on IPS 1440k panels. Will the text look at least as good to what I see on my 32" 1080P IPS?
2) After calibrating, are the colors ok to do some photo editing (LR/DXO)? I'm an armature hobbits, so decent would probably satisfy me.
3) what are the chances of getting a copy with dead pixels? I live in Canada, and my only option pretty much is newegg.ca (with its over 8 dead pixel policy)... I would hate spending $1k on a display with dead pixels :-(
4) Is gtx1070 ok to drive 1440p? I'm sure I will have to lower some eye candy settings for some games? or I should stick with my current 1080p until I upgrade my GPU.

Thanks in advance.

It's $1000 CAD on newegg.ca right now. Still, ordering mine from amazon for the hassle free return (about $40 more total).

Hope it lasts me even half as long as my current decade old display.

It's $1000 CAD on newegg.ca right now. Still, ordering mine from amazon for the hassle free return (about $40 more total).

Hope it lasts me even half as long as my current decade old display.

How is hassle free? amazon.ca is not selling it for $1040? are you ordering it from amazon.com?

How is hassle free? amazon.ca is not selling it for $1040? are you ordering it from amazon.com?

Amazon takes returns no questions asked and return shipping is free.

On newegg.ca it's 1,141.27 shipped, amazon.ca it came to 1,179.28 shipped. They calculate taxes etc differently o_O

Amazon takes returns no questions asked and return shipping is free.

On newegg.ca it's 1,141.27 shipped, amazon.ca it came to 1,179.28 shipped. They calculate taxes etc differently o_O

Can you please PM me with the amazon.ca link, I cannot locate seller with the price you provided.

Thanks in advance :)

So I pulled the trigger from newegg.ca... wish me luck. I hope I won't get any dead pixels... I will report once I get it setup.

I also have one coming from Newegg. Should be here Monday. I have a lot of experience with TN, VA, IPS monitors. It will be interesting to compare this to my eizo foris fg2421 and acer predator xb271hu

I'd be a lot more tempted if it were IPS...

I wouldn't. Talk to me once IPS panels don't glow and have a 3000:1 contrast ratio.

I made the switch away from IPS to VA on my gaming system more than a year ago and am not looking back.

I wouldn't. Talk to me once IPS panels don't glow and have a 3000:1 contrast ratio.

I made the switch away from IPS to VA on my gaming system more than a year ago and am not looking back.

Agreed on this. I have IPS at work, VA at home for gaming is right for me.

God damn this thing is glorious, so smoooooth, so BIIIG. Only wish I had more than a 3770k to run it. I've been coveting the 30" LCDs since the old store I worked at put up our 1st 30" Apple cinema display back around 2005-ish, priced about $3k, I went with this trusty 27" samsung instead. Skipped the 30" displays even as they became more affordable in favor of a projector, then a Vive, now here we are. :D

Resolution is in that sweet spot for performance at 144hz (I leave it OC'd at 165hz, Gsync takes care of the fps fluctuations), can't get over how a display so large can also run at 165hz, Fallout 4 looks beautiful, Witcher 3 is amazingly detailed, Los Santos looks bigger than ever. This is just the upgrade I've been waiting a decade for. And turning on DSR x4 (5120x2880) is so crisp, if not a bit of a slide show.

Besides not having HDR, my only complaint is when you sit any closer than 2ft, the left and right 1/4" of the display goes dark, really strange effect, 1st time I've seen it on a display. Also can't get Far Cry 5 much over 100fps avg, whatareyougonnado? :confused:

x3xyqc.jpg

Amazing monitor. No dead/stuck pixels. No clouding. This thing is huge. Much bigger in person and heavy! Like most VA panels, there is some slight vignette in the corners, for those sensitive to that. Mine has a build month of February 2018.

Doesn't beat my FORIS FG2421 in contrast, but still great. The advantage of QHD, 165Hz and G-Sync and a bit faster responses make retiring the FORIS now possible. My Acer Predator XB271HU IPS does pop the colors more, but this LG is very close.

LG should have a better warranty on this expensive monitor though. For example, both EIZO and Acer with their Predators offer better warranties. The FORIS had a 5 year warranty vs LG's 1 year.

Highly recommended for those not ready for 4k who want a great balance between TN and IPS, with great contrast and blacks.

Last edited:
Amazing display indeed. Picked it up from newegg.ca (FEB 2018 build). I upgraded this from LG 32LD450 (32" IPS 1080P 60Hz). No dead pixels, dust etc... :) I've used settings from another forum I loved them (used gamma 3), o/c to 165hz, I did set digital vibrancy to 60% and videos to 60%. The contrast is amazing, it helps with editing pictures I can see highlights/shadows more now.. Although the colors are a little better on IPS.

I've tried few games last night Doom, Fifa 18, GTA V and fortnite. All working butter smooth. I guess I wish I had 1080TI, because that thing is bringing my 1070 to its knees LOL... If you looking for big 32" gsync 16:9... and have the $$$ ... I totally recommend it. :)

Back