31.5" 2560x1440 165 Hz VA G-Sync - LG 32GK850G

disagree. ive used it with my pc on my VA tv with far less than 512 zones and no hdr and it is still much better.. the tv lacks gaming monitor features like 100hz+, variable hz, etc though. The future is HDR and edge lit is plainly inferior for hdr especially. If you need a different monitor between now and when HDR FALD gaming monitors are available and affordable to you, there are options but when complaining about the trade-offs of different panel types be aware that edge lighting exacerbates some of them - especially uniformity, contrast/darkness uniformity, and glow.. even more so for true hdr content.

Last edited:
Received the monitor last night, However I only had about 15 minutes with it before exhaustion over took me. Not a very [H] thing to do.
Out of the box it looked surprisingly good. The brightness had to be turned down to 40 to get to a comfortable level, LG had it set to 100. I was able to set to 165hz with no issues and ran a few tests. First one being the mprt test from blur busters. This test I have no idea if I did it correctly, I did my best to follow directions but can anyone give me pointers on it?

I also did some gray 5% and 50% tests but didn't full screen them for the pictures so I will do that later and post the results. Service menu did not work with the directions previously mentioned in this thread. The power and menu are the same button.
upload_2017-12-12_12-42-36.png

Last edited:
Congrats! Notice any dead pixels or dust trapped under the screen? How does she look with motion in a fast paced FPS?

I looked pretty hard for dead pixels and other abnormalities and I have not see any yet but will further check that as I go. Newegg has extended holiday returns until January 31st which will give some time to thoroughly test this.

Loaded up some dying light and tried sniper elite 4 and those games played quite well. I will do a bit more things tonight if I get some time away from work.

Congrats! Notice any dead pixels or dust trapped under the screen? How does she look with motion in a fast paced FPS?

Congrats guys. Very interested in VA gaming monitors.

Initial impressions are she's big and she's bright. Text slightly softer but otherwise PPI isn't going to be an issue for me.

Panel is AUO M315DVR01_LGE_BL, for all interested.

So far so good, now on to dead pixel hunting, tuning and then gaming

Reactions: igluk
like this
Initial impressions are she's big and she's bright. Text slightly softer but otherwise PPI isn't going to be an issue for me.

Thanks for the info, where did you find the panel used? Did that service menu code work?
It's strange that it says M315DVR01 because the R denotes a curved panel. Flat panel should be M315DVN.

How is response time? Check for darkening with those stars when zooming in and panning the camera:
http://charliehoey.com/threejs-demos/gaia_dr1.html
Or with the Oort cloud here
http://stars.chromeexperiments.com/

Useful to identify slower black to grey response times with these star maps

Did you go into the service menu? If so, how do we get in there too? :)

Thanks for the info, where did you find the panel used? Did that service menu code work?

I have a floating black menu that circles around the screen that lists the panel, I assume this is the service menu... unfortunately I can't figure out how to turn the damn thing off or interact with it. Can't find anything in the OSD controls :/

edit2: Playing some NS2 in the meantime to check motion, it seems very nice and responsive. Not noticing any obvious blurring or smearing, seems similar to my XB270HU IPS panel. Note this is my first VA. It does have some glow but definitely not as severe as the IPS. Colors seem OK but again this is right out of the box and all I have done is lower the
brightness.

edit3: One thing I'm noticing is the slight color shift from center to edge. Pure whites are brighter in the center of the screen and dim/grey slightly moving toward the edge. Not a big deal for me but coming from IPS it's noticeable.

Last edited:
Alright, got the menu thing sorted out with an OSD reset, now I can get to calibrating this thing and some actual game testing!

Alright, got the menu thing sorted out with an OSD reset, now I can get to calibrating this thing and some actual game testing!

Great to hear :)... If possible please post some pictures. Also please try some FPS games such as BF1 or BF4.

Just played some Witcher 3 and I'm pretty impressed so far. The sphere lighting on the back of the monitor is great, really adds a nice ambiance in the dark. I'm definitely feeling the immersion factor on the bigger screen with the lights off. Losing the IPS glow is welcome and I'll be going back and playing games I couldn't stomach on the IPS, like Outlast.

Motion clarity is good, feels very similar to my Predator, although still likely not matching a TN. I don't notice much blur or trailing at all. I think this one's going to be a winner once I get the colors calibrated, aside from the shift it seems very comparable to the IPS and doesn't look washed out at all.

On to Battlefield now to test some FPS

IMG_1764.JPG IMG_1755.JPG IMG_1761.JPG

Last edited:
Just played some Witcher 3 and I'm pretty impressed so far. The sphere lighting on the back of the monitor is great, really adds a nice ambiance in the dark. I'm definitely feeling the immersion factor on the bigger screen with the lights off. Losing the IPS glow is very welcome and I'm definitely going back and playing games I couldn't stomach on the IPS, like Outlast.

Motion clarity is good, feels very similar to my Predator, although still likely not matching a TN. I don't notice much blur or trailing at all. I think this one's going to be a winner once I get the colors calibrated, aside from the shift it seems very comparable to the IPS and doesn't look washed out at all.

View attachment 46198 View attachment 46199 View attachment 46200

That's great news so far. I really love the extra contrast ratio on VA panels.

Since OLED is an emissive display, a term such as FALD doesn't apply.
Yeah well terms can be terms, but really in practice it would mean that a 2560x1440 OLED has 3686400 dimming zones.

Just played some Witcher 3 and I'm pretty impressed so far. The sphere lighting on the back of the monitor is great, really adds a nice ambiance in the dark. I'm definitely feeling the immersion factor on the bigger screen with the lights off. Losing the IPS glow is welcome and I'll be going back and playing games I couldn't stomach on the IPS, like Outlast.

Does the gamma adjust nicely around 2.2 without software intervention? "not washed out" would point out so.

Just got me a pretty nice XB271HU without BLB, you're going to make me ditch it :D Especially sounds promising if the black viewing angles aren't a problem with this panel even with the 31.5" size. The 27" C27HG70 clearly suffered from it, looking at a black screen from normal viewing distance was directly comparable to IPS glow.

Last edited:

Thanks for your feedback :).... How did BF testing go?

From what i understand, LG's proprietary OLED tech uses an all white array of oleds to avoid colors fading out sooner than others. So i sometimes liken it to a sort of "per pixel FALD" ... emphasis on the quotes. Leopardy was using a similar concept to say that unless some hypothetical lcd had a fald backlight for each pixel, it couldn't compare to oled.

I doubt there will be a full featured gaming oled monitor. VA is what I'm aiming for on my next monitor for a few years, which is why I'm interested in owners impressions in this thread . Hopefully way down the line years from now, true quantum dot fired per pixel (no lcd involved) full featured gaming displays will be made without the tradeoffs of oled.

Last edited:

What response time did you settle on? I moved mine up to faster and played all last night with no noticeable blur/smearing.

I have been quite impressed with this so far and the only complaint I have is the 1440p. This is supposed to be replacing my Acer xb321hk and its looking like it will at least until the 32" 4k 144hz gsync's come around in a year or more, 32" monitors are my holy grail size. There is a big fluidity difference between the 2 and I am for sure liking the 165hz vs 60hz. I also appreciate the VA black levels with 0 glow.

What response time did you settle on? I moved mine up to faster and played all last night with no noticeable blur/smearing.

I have been quite impressed with this so far and the only complaint I have is the 1440p. This is supposed to be replacing my Acer xb321hk and its looking like it will at least until the 32" 4k 144hz gsync's come around in a year or more, 32" monitors are my holy grail size. There is a big fluidity difference between the 2 and I am for sure liking the 165hz vs 60hz. I also appreciate the VA black levels with 0 glow.

Do you have any dust or dead pixels? for me it would be perfect upgrade from my 32" 1080P 60hz (75hz overclocked) panel. My only worry is GPU bottleneck... GTX1070 might be not good enough for some of the newer titles... However I have tons of older games that I never played LOL

If you aren't keeping 100fps average or more you really aren't getting much out of the higher hz because you aren't filling it with new frames of virtual object action and viewport movement fluidity, and not keeping high enough to reduce blur considerably. I mention this because 4k would be more demanding and require settings to be dialed down more than 1440 to achieve 100fps-hz+ (average).

For the most part, your frame rate typically fluctuates +/- 30fps or more from the average reported by frame rate averaging tools.

I try to stay in the 100fps+ average zone like the top graph so it's 70/80 - 100 - 135/140 band. 120fps-hz average would be better for a 90 - 120 - 150 (or 140 capped on my 144hz monitor) but I tend to keep graphics settings a little higher than that.

ALY9lQS.png

More modern VA gaming panel reviews in the last year have settled on 120fps-hz or so being the max before the VA would start to lose clarity again (blur/ghost/smear) due to the response time. I'm curious what this monitor's top end is vs the response time. If you start to see issues at higher fps ranges, you might want to to consider capping the frame rate at 120 or 130 (or dialing up graphics settings until your fps graph stays below that range) - and see what it looks like. I'd guess that the sweet spot on a modern gaming VA is probably staying 100fps to 120 fps most likely, maybe to 130. Then it would be a narrow bell shaped curve with 120 being the tightest in can be but that average fluctuating +/-. You can cap the top end as described but the only way to "cap" the bottom end is to keep your lower range of the frame rate graph high enough by dialing down graphics settings. Again 4k would be even more demanding so keep that in consideration.

Do you have any dust or dead pixels? for me it would be perfect upgrade from my 32" 1080P 60hz (75hz overclocked) panel. My only worry is GPU bottleneck... GTX1070 might be not good enough for some of the newer titles... However I have tons of older games that I never played LOL

I have no dust or dead pixels on mine and I have scoured it pretty good.

Warhammer 2 has been quite a chore to get more fps out of. I think that game is really badly optimized. When I went from 4k to 1440p my fps for same settings went from 65 on battle map to 75... I use a 1080 Ti running at 2050 and I would expect a larger increase than that from only having to run 1440 vs 4k.

I have no dust or dead pixels on mine and I have scoured it pretty good.

Warhammer 2 has been quite a chore to get more fps out of. I think that game is really badly optimized. When I went from 4k to 1440p my fps for same settings went from 65 on battle map to 75... I use a 1080 Ti running at 2050 and I would expect a larger increase than that from only having to run 1440 vs 4k.

If I'm not mistaken some games scale better on AMD GPUs, that could be the case. Please post some pictures of your new toy !!! :)... I'm waiting for more reviews to trickle in and I'm waiting for LG Canada to get off their arses to make this monitor avaiable in Canada. Believe it or not, I cannot order it from Newegg.com because my CC address is Canadian. However if I lived i.e. in Europe, Denmark I could pay for extra shipping to get it. I think it is because there is newegg.ca, however since LG Canada does not carry this particular model newegg.ca cannot sell it to me ;-(.... I wish I had some family or close friends living in US....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... I'm sorry for going off the topic...

What are you guys using for brightness, contrast, gamma mode(1-3), and game profile (Gamer{1,2},FPS{1,2}, etc. Color settings in the OSD as well?

What are you guys using for brightness, contrast, gamma mode(1-3), and game profile (Gamer{1,2},FPS{1,2}, etc. Color settings in the OSD as well?

My settings so far: Brightness 20, Contrast 70, Gamma Mode 2, Gamer 2, Overclock ON @ 165Hz, Black Stabilizer LOW, Response Time FASTER. I also have set Digital Vibrance to 63% in the nVidia Control Panel.
RGB still at stock 50/50/50 setting, I am waiting for someone with proper calibration to post their settings.

Thanks for your feedback :).... How did BF testing go?

BF plays VERY nicely. I am happy to report the motion clarity is acceptable for FPS gaming.

Other thoughts after a few days with this monitor (all my subjective opinions, I am not a professional reviewer):

PROS:
*No dead pixels or dust particles.
*No BLB. Even backlighting throughout the screen.
*The panel has a clear matte finish with no obtrusive AG coating.
*Overall build quality of the panel and housing itself is excellent. QC appears to be less of an issue with these monitors than the 27" G-Sync models.
*Overclocks to 165Hz with no apparent loss in visual quality.
*Good motion clarity, very similar to IPS in response and input lag, at least to my subjective perception.
*Awesome black levels, contrast, and uniformity. There IS some "glow", but nothing compared to the obtrusive glowing of IPS.
*Good colors; not as vibrant as IPS. This can be mitigated somewhat by using Digital Vibrance.

CONS:
*Lower PPI means text is softer, edges of objects can appear "pixelated", and certain grid patterns can be more easily spotted when games are rendering objects.
*Viewing angles / Color shifting from center of view to edge. Whites are whiter in the center, and dim/grey somewhat moving to edge of view.
*Thin black lines or edges can show slight "trailing" against grey backgrounds. It's noticeable only in certain scenarios with the black to grey transitions. The effect is subtle and generally not an issue for me, but it's there if you look for it.
*Colors not as vibrant as IPS. Light browns appear particularly flat compared to IPS.
*The stand quality is acceptable but could be better. The panel can wobble easily while using the joystick OSD control located at the base.

BOTTOM LINE:
It's a keeper! The pros outweigh the cons for me. It's basically a larger version of the Predator IPS with superior black levels and contrast, at the cost of PPI and some vibrancy in bright colors. This is what I expected going in and got what was promised. I'm sure with further tweaking and calibration it will be even better.

Last edited:
My settings so far: Brightness 20, Contrast 70, Gamma Mode 2, Gamer 2, Overclock ON @ 165Hz, Black Stabilizer LOW, Response Time FASTER. I also have set Digital Vibrance to 63% in the nVidia Control Panel.
RGB still at stock 50/50/50 setting, I am waiting for someone with proper calibration to post their settings.

BF plays VERY nicely. I am happy to report the motion clarity is acceptable for FPS gaming.

Other thoughts after a few days with this monitor (all my subjective opinions, I am not a professional reviewer):

PROS:
*No dead pixels or dust particles.
*No BLB. Even backlighting throughout the screen.
*The panel has a clear matte finish with no obtrusive AG coating.
*The stand quality is acceptable but could be better. The panel can wobble easily while using the joystick OSD control located at the base.
*Overall build quality of the panel and housing itself is excellent. QC appears to be less of an issue with these monitors than the 27" G-Sync models.
*Overclocks to 165Hz with no apparent loss in visual quality.
*Good motion clarity, very similar to IPS in response and input lag, at least to my subjective perception.
*Awesome black levels, contrast, and uniformity. There IS some "glow", but nothing compared to the obtrusive glowing of IPS.
*Good colors; not as vibrant as IPS. This can be mitigated somewhat by using Digital Vibrance.

CONS:
*Lower PPI means text is softer, edges of objects can appear "pixelated", and certain grid patterns can be more easily spotted when games are rendering objects.
*Viewing angles / Color shifting from center of view to edge. Whites are whiter in the center, and dim/grey somewhat moving to edge of view.
*Colors not as vibrant as IPS. Light browns appear particularly flat compared to IPS.

BOTTOM LINE:
It's a keeper! The pros outweigh the cons for me. It's basically a larger version of the Predator IPS with superior black levels and contrast, at the cost of PPI and some vibrancy in bright colors. This is what I expected going in and got what was promised. I'm sure with further tweaking and calibration it will be even better.

Wow... So when and how can I buy this in Canada? :-(

Thanks for your feedback. ;-)

Lower PPI is not an issue for me, because I'm on LG 32" 1080p IPS now, so this will be an upgrade. If Digital Vibrancy can help with colors I'm very happy.

My biggest worry is if GTX1070 will be able to drive 1440p, I guess I will have to lower settings in some games.

Wow... So when and how can I buy this in Canada? :-(

Thanks for your feedback. ;-)

Lower PPI is not an issue for me, because I'm on LG 32" 1080p IPS now, so this will be an upgrade. If Digital Vibrancy can help with colors I'm very happy.

My biggest worry is if GTX1070 will be able to drive 1440p, I guess I will have to lower settings in some games.
I have a 1070 too and what I'm thinking of doing in that case is running 1080p with 1:1 pixel mapping.
Since 31.5" 1440p is 93.24 PPI, 1:1 1080p would be 23.627" and look like this:
BL3200PT-pixel-mapping.jpg
Only issue would be burn in probably and no borders could feel weird when displaying dark content around the edges like in Limbo or space games.
But other than that you've just created yourself a "native 1080p" 24" 165hz VA GSync monitor which will probably never exist otherwise, if the state of IPS is anything to go by.

If I'm not mistaken the only other VA monitors with GSync (that aren't ultrawide) are the Acer Z271 & Lenovo Y27G which are no good. Both use the C27FG70/73 panel, so 1080p 81 PPI.
Why GSync a 1080p 27" instead of the 1080p C24FG70/73 panel? I don't know why anyone even makes 1080p panels larger than 25"

Duke, what kind of MPRT you get on this bad boy?

https://testufo.com/mprt

Oh boy, this test is difficult on the eyes. I can notice a checkerboard pattern on the default setting when I focus on the moving UFO. The same pattern holds as I increase the Pixels per frame value, but after about 30 or so there's no way I can track that UFO accurately, it's simply moving too fast. Is the point of this to be able to see the checkerboard pattern at the highest PPF possible?

Last edited:
Yes, so that the black/white square are of the same size as they scroll from left to right. I find it easier to move my head with the movement. You can also adjust the checkerboard size with the "pixel" adjustment which may make it easier.

Well the checkerboard seems even at around 5.1-5.6ms. The black boxes in regular test and white boxes in the inverse test are too big at 6.1ms and inversely disproportionate at 4.2ms, although any faster and the UFO is too quick for my eyes. This is subjective though and at 4.8 / 5.1 / 5.6 it's tough to tell how even the boxes really are. Screenshots don't show it obviously and the pictures I'm taking aren't helping either.

Last edited:
I went from the C32HG70 to this monitor recently due to the fact that I really wanted a 32 inch gsync monitor. First of all going from a curved monitor back to a flat one is weird. It takes your eyes a little time to get used to the switch back. Even though both monitor screens are the same size not having the curve makes the monitor feel a little larger. I know a lot of people don't really like the C32HG70 but I was very happy with it. I do not have the ability to calibrate the LG monitor so off the bat the colors don't look as good as the Samsung. This monitor has better uniformity than the C32. Samsung did not do a good job of reproducing grey images on screen almost like you can see a screen behind it, this LG does not have that problem. I have been running overclocked at 165hz all day and it's been great. Just having gsync over the C32 makes it worthwhile but this monitor is just phenomenal. The contrast is legit. I would say the only knock on this monitor is the sides are not as bright as the center if you are too close to it but it's not too bad. I'll be keeping this one a long time.

Back