30GB+ vista ultimate install?

hiroler

Weaksauce
Hey guys I just installed Vista Ultiate 64 bit and over 30GB of my hard drive is taken up.

Does this have something to do with the fact that I had 2x hard drives connected when I installed vista? I have only installed a few programs like device drivers/managers.

I moved from 1x 18GB SCSI to 2x 36GB drives to try and free up some room. Well that didn't work!!!

Thanks,

Kyle

Hey guys I just installed Vista Ultiate 64 bit and over 30GB of my hard drive is taken up.

Does this have something to do with the fact that I had 2x hard drives connected when I installed vista? I have only installed a few programs like device drivers/managers.

I moved from 1x 18GB SCSI to 2x 36GB drives to try and free up some room. Well that didn't work!!!

Thanks,

Kyle

If you don't want System Restore,

TURN IT OFF!

Or reduce it from using 15% of the drive by running "vssadmin resize shadowstorage" to set a new size limit.

Also, make sure the hidden temp directories used during install were removed. The directories are hidden and start with a "~".

thanks i thought i had searched harder last night but now i'm seeing these things on google too, sorry about that... i had such a hard time getting the thing to work, what a mess.

Run disk cleanup and click 'more options' and clean up system restore points

Also, if you downloaded SP1, run vsp1cln.exe.

You'll gain back GB's.

Keep in mind, x64 is going to be a few more GB than x86 because of the syswow64 folder, plus, having 2x program files.

thanks i thought i had searched harder last night but now i'm seeing these things on google too, sorry about that... i had such a hard time getting the thing to work, what a mess.

There's not just System Restore. Vista by default is configured for 'Sleep' mode, so hiberfile.sys is using drive space. So is pagefile.sys . Installed programs use a hidden 'Program data' folder as well as drive space in hidden folders within the 'Users' folder.

You can fiddle and tweak and reduce all that stuff down considerably, but really Vista just isn't intended to be used on really small capacity hard drives. Hell, it'd be four or five years ago since I began to consider that a drive/partition of 40Gb or less was too much of a pain in the arse for even an XP install. About the only machine with that sort of storage space restriction I still use is an old XP laptop which I cart with me up to my lakeside/holiday accommodation, and that thing only ever gets used for writing, DVD-watching, and occassionaly maybe an old game or two.

Back