30GB OCZ Vertex SSD $67.74 after rebate & BCB w/free shipping

damn I just got a OCZ 30gb Agility not too long ago for 80ish AR.

I guess its not possible to set those two in RAID right?

LOL, most things are better deals than 74GB Raptors, and everything's a better deal than eBay.

QFT. The words "deal" and "ebay" are an oxymoron. Too many "retailers" attempting to sell goods at 130% of retail. Its a sad day when sites like newegg, amazon etc are routinely cheaper than the cheapest equivalent ebay auction.

I'm pretty sure TRIM isn't supported with RAID at least not yet. I thought that might be worth mentioning.

The 60GB Agility is also on sale at TD for $129.99 after MIR and BCB.

Slightly better $/GB and performance is also a bit better when compared to single drives. I personally would spend the extra money and get the 60GB. Here is a comparison between the 30GB Vertex and 60GB Agility.

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/ocz-agility-60gb-solid-state-drive-review/3/

I worry about the long term reliability of the smaller drives. Lower capacity mean higher likely hood of filling the disk closer to capacity and less efficient wear leveling (write same bits more often). If your running raid using 2 30GB then it is less of an issue, but the MIR is only for 1 drive.

I've got 2 60GB Agilitys and thinking of adding a third. This is as close to the cheapest I've seen the drives in a while.

Last edited:
damn I just got a OCZ 30gb Agility not too long ago for 80ish AR.

I guess its not possible to set those two in RAID right?

I don't see any problem putting an Agility and Vertex in a RAID. They have the same controller the only real difference is what company made the NAND chips which can vary amongst Agility drives from Intel 50nm to Toshiba 40nm. The Vertex uses Samsung NAND. See here: http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631&p=16

TRIM is supported on these drives but not when on a RAID controller, as far as I know.

Firmwares 1.41 & 1.5 both support internal garbage collection, which maintains performance under RAID.

tempted, but my 40gb kingston still has 28.5gb free and that is after 3 months of use.

Hmmm, tempting but I spend most of my time on my work laptop and 30GB is just too small. Heck, my 160GB drive is already at about 80% full with all the CD images/documentation/music/etc. I need to do my job on a daily basis.... I just can't bring myself to being tied to carrying an external drive around for storage...

Hmmm, tempting but I spend most of my time on my work laptop and 30GB is just too small. Heck, my 160GB drive is already at about 80% full with all the CD images/documentation/music/etc. I need to do my job on a daily basis.... I just can't bring myself to being tied to carrying an external drive around for storage...

Yeah it is small but I think I could just put the OS on it and everything else on my striped set.

+1 too small

^ That's the idea guys ya can't expect to put everything on an SSD :p (for now). Just the things that benefit most from fast access times.

final price is $84.99 now, so pretty well and dead. pity, would have gotten one for the hell of it.

Even 85 is a deal. I think I paid 99 for mine 3 months ago on shell shocker and I still call even that a sweet deal. If you want it I would grab it. lol

Last edited:
Ummm...it's still $67. See the mention of Bing cashback? Sign up if you haven't already and follow the op's instructions.

I got it 15% cashback on bing have never used that but their price beat neweggs and im just happy i checked here before i bought it at newegg :p

not sure how bing works but i could build up a couple hundred dollars im assuming if i get the wife using it when she shops online and when i use it and just have them send me a check??

not sure how bing works but i could build up a couple hundred dollars im assuming if i get the wife using it when she shops online and when i use it and just have them send me a check??

They just fund my PayPal account for me. Simple that way but yes, you can do that.

Check, Paypal, or Direct Deposit into your banking account

Good deal. Shame they limit the rebate to 1 per household. I'd need to RAID two of these for enough space to house my boot partition at this point. :(

I have two of these. Would love another.

Must resist.

I went ahead and ordered one. Been wanting an SSD for my OS for awhile now.

Thank you for the heads up. I have been waiting for a deal like this for a while now. Is will make a fine OS replacement for my 74 Raptor.

I do have a question though. Now that I will have 1 SSD and 1 large HDD, where do I place my Paging File - or do I even need to make one at all now? I am also seeing the mention about "TRIM" support. How would I go about getting it (I am new to SSD's) for this drive? :D

Thank you for the heads up. I have been waiting for a deal like this for a while now. Is will make a fine OS replacement for my 74 Raptor.

I do have a question though. Now that I will have 1 SSD and 1 large HDD, where do I place my Paging File - or do I even need to make one at all now? I am also seeing the mention about "TRIM" support. How would I go about getting it (I am new to SSD's) for this drive? :D

Pagefile is based on ram amount, not hard drive speed - it'd be faster stored on the ssd but more reliable on the large hdd (or the raptor...). I would still keep a pagefile somewhere as without it, if you run out of ram, you're screwed.

The drive likely comes with TRIM support in the shipping firmware, otherwise it's as simple as updating the firmware. I think the OCZ drives can do trim in Windows 7 and Vista - not sure about XP. No matter the OS, you should just head to OCZ's forums and read up a bit - XP will take some more work for proper partition alignment and such for ideal performance.

What benefits most from SSD? I know OS, assuming games also?

I'd like one, but W7 + Steam + WoW and maybe one other game would take up almost all 30gb's.

Tempting but maybe I should wait?

A good SSD has never been this close to $2/gb AFAIK.

Anything you access frequently benefits most from SSD. Well, anything other than media files I suppose

Pagefile is based on ram amount, not hard drive speed - it'd be faster stored on the ssd but more reliable on the large hdd (or the raptor...). I would still keep a pagefile somewhere as without it, if you run out of ram, you're screwed.

The drive likely comes with TRIM support in the shipping firmware, otherwise it's as simple as updating the firmware. I think the OCZ drives can do trim in Windows 7 and Vista - not sure about XP. No matter the OS, you should just head to OCZ's forums and read up a bit - XP will take some more work for proper partition alignment and such for ideal performance.

TRIM is Windows 7 only. However garbage collection helps maintain performance like TRIM and works with XP and Vista.

TRIM is Windows 7 only. However garbage collection helps maintain performance like TRIM and works with XP and Vista.

You're right - my quick google search was wrong being that after going into the details of all the results, they're talking about single-run wipers. I initially thought it was Windows 7 only (still) but figured they may have added something into Vista by now.

Thank you.:D
I took a look at the forums and they recommend that I look at the drive when it arrives and check which FW it has on it before flashing it to 1.5. Ill do that.

One last question, is it better to leave the drives set to Legacy or AHCI?

too small for a notebook, great for a OS drive in a PC with a 640gb or 1TB black for everything else

BCB for TD back to 8.4% from 15% making this deal worse. The 30G Agility is now on sale as well for the same price for folks thinking of buying 2. The 60G Agility is the same $/Gb and also on sale. Hopefully the 15% will come back before the MIR expires.

30G might be enough for a netbook. I was thinking of swapping my wife's 60G Agility out for this. She uses it in her Acer Aspire One.

Back