3090FE Thermalpad Replacement

BoiseTech

Limp Gawd
I just replaced my thermal pads on my 3090FE and repasted with arctic silver 5, my vram temps are way down 10-20 degrees but my GPU temps are up? I'm assuming because the ram temp is now spreading to the heatsink more efficiently and thats warming the gpu?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
How did you apply the paste? How much warmer is the GPU running?

I'd typically see max GPU temps of 70, and my vram would hit 108-110.

I did the pea sized glob in the middle method.

Last night my GPU was hitting 80-85 and my vram was around 96-98. So my vram temps were down about 10 degrees but my gpu temps were up 10-15

However: Is there a settling in period?? I let my stress test run all night (woops, forgot to shut it off) This morning the GPU is 65-66 max, and vram is 94-96.

I'd typically see max GPU temps of 70, and my vram would hit 108-110.

I did the pea sized glob in the middle method.

Last night my GPU was hitting 80-85 and my vram was around 96-98. So my vram temps were down about 10 degrees but my gpu temps were up 10-15

However: Is there a settling in period?? I let my stress test run all night (woops, forgot to shut it off) This morning the GPU is 65-66 max, and vram is 94-96.
The GPU is too big to just get away with the pea method (you'll see when you take the heatsink off). I typically spread it out, but have started using an asterisk to get better coverage and contact. I would recommend using a different paste if you're going to do that, though, since AS5 is capacitive. Kryonaut, NT-H2, and MX4/MX5 are all good choices for GPU applications.

The GPU is too big to just get away with the pea method (you'll see when you take the heatsink off). I typically spread it out, but have started using an asterisk to get better coverage and contact. I would recommend using a different paste if you're going to do that, though, since AS5 is capacitive. Kryonaut, NT-H2, and MX4/MX5 are all good choices for GPU applications.
Oh cool, k. I have some mx4, I'll take it back apart tonight and repaste.

Repasted with MX-4 and found some issues with doubled up thermal pads (one slid under another when putting the backplate back on), GPU is looking waaaaay better. I'm hitting 62 on the GPU and 80 on memory right now. Thanks guys!

Glad you got that sorted. I think I am just going to try the backplate thermal pad method first on my 3090 FE to get the memory temps down. See how that goes.

Glad you got that sorted. I think I am just going to try the backplate thermal pad method first on my 3090 FE to get the memory temps down. See how that goes.
I've read you really have to to both sides or you won't see much of a result.

I just replaced my thermal pads on my 3090FE and repasted with arctic silver 5, my vram temps are way down 10-20 degrees but my GPU temps are up? I'm assuming because the ram temp is now spreading to the heatsink more efficiently and thats warming the gpu?

Thoughts?

You may see a drop in CPU temps by one to three degrees as Artic Silver requires time to cure.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've read you really have to to both sides or you won't see much of a result.
Swapped it out this evening, just on the backplate side using the thermalright 1.5mm pads. Did a quick test running the Port Royal stress test and memory peaked at 86C. Previously it would get to 94-96C at the end of the test. So for sure a improvement. This is with a moderate OC, +600 memory, +150 core, 108% power limit and modified fan profile (peaked at 58% ).

Update: Played over an hour of Cyberpunk and memory temps were steady at 86C with occasional spikes to 88C. This is 8-10C better than with the stock thermal pads on the backplate side. I bet I could see further improvement if I did the other side, but I am satisfied for now.

Last edited:
Back