3090 FE 114% Power Limit

erek

[H]F Junkie
Are 3090 FEs good for their Max Power Limit in general? Anyone have issues with pushing the slider all the way?

Board power limit
Target: 350.0 W
Limit: 400.0 W
Adj. Range: -71%, +14%

My PC shut down once when playing Horizon Zero Dawn @ 114%. Toned it down to 110% and no problems since! Still boosts to 2085 no sweat. I do have a dedicated window AC unit blowing cold air directly on the card, so that certainly helps.

My PC shut down once when playing Horizon Zero Dawn @ 114%. Toned it down to 110% and no problems since! Still boosts to 2085 no sweat. I do have a dedicated window AC unit blowing cold air directly on the card, so that certainly helps.
:(

Mine runs fine at 114% with a decent OC, too. Both with the included cable splitter with the FE and also the "official" cable from Corsair (two PCIE power to the cable).

EDIT: 1000W Platinum Corsair AX1000

Last edited:
your power supply is a very important factor with the 3080 and 3090

shutdowns with these cards are often due to power supply not handling What these cards are demanding

I'll just let this speak for itself. Note that this is just the power slider set to 119% on a 3090 FTW3 on the EVGA XOC bios. No other changes.
gpu-z-488w.gif

I like how this dude is so [H]ard he acts like having a dedicated window air conditioner blowing cold air on his video card is a perfectly reasonable solution. Lmao!

The 488 spikes I experience are in the menu of WD Legion lol. I cannot fathom why the map menu causes such a crazy spike. The game will pull 450's on average with temps in the low 70s for the majority while gaming at 1440p ultra no dlss.

I think my capacity is lower than the cards

Holy shitballs it's making my room hot. Even just playing CK3 at 50% GPU utilisation. Makes my case physically warm to touch. Mental.

Yeah I am DEFINITELY undervolting mine once I get it. Too much heat from what I hear, like old amd cards.

Watercooling, that's my plan. Undervolting and losing performance isn't.
Water cooling doesn't stop heat from being generated. It just moves it into the room from the card faster. Also, undervolting 3080 cards has shown to generally be no practical performance loss. No need to turn down clocks just voltage.

Watercooling, that's my plan. Undervolting and losing performance isn't.

In my experience with watercooling a 2080Ti, undervolting actually resulted in a performance increase. With less power drawn temperatures stayed lower and boost clocks held. The few cards I had needed anywhere from 0.975-1.05v to run 2100mhz, and not the 1.15v or whatever the stock voltage curve went to. I plan to do the same thing with my 3090 once I finish my new build.

Are 3090 FEs good for their Max Power Limit in general? Anyone have issues with pushing the slider all the way?

Board power limit
Target: 350.0 W
Limit: 400.0 W
Adj. Range: -71%, +14%
Mine works fine at 400 W with +100 MHz Core / + 748 Memory. It rarely exceeds 65 C in gaming on the Auto fan curve. The 3090 FE is a lot cooler than the 3080 FE.

I managed to get Overwatch to pull an amazing 566 watts from the shunt modded 3090 FE when running 4K. Had to eventually limit the FPS to 165 because it was getting uncoolable on stock HSF despite new thermal pads and paste..
My Seasonic Prime PX-1000 PSU + Seasonic 12 pin cable didn't even care what I was doing. No shutdowns. +12v PCIE lines as stable as ever. PCIE slot wasn't too happy though.

maxpowa.jpg

Anyone else's EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra idle at 150w? It pulls upwards of 80w at the pice slot and never really breaks 420w on the XOC 500w bios.

Do you people not have central AC??
Nope. 😭😭😭

Split system, but nothing in that room and worse, nothing I can put in that room without going through a bunch of walls. You’re not allowed condensers at the front of the house in my suburb.

I live in Australia these days and it gets over 100 degrees, a lot, so it’s super fun throwing what is in effect a space heater on top.

obviously it’s always been a problem but the room is noticeably warmer than it was with my 1080ti, I think I need water on it to at least expel the heat but it won’t make me any cooler obv

Will do a three phase central system when I extend the house but that’s a long way off. Houses are insanely expensive. 1000sq ft here is 3 times more expensive than 2500sq ft was in VA.

In the mean time I can just cook. Yay for hobbies.

So why wasn’t there a run on window AC units when the 3090s dropped? I live in Florida and there’s still plenty of them at Home Depot.

My card runs fine at 120% (no overclock tested yet) but I've got a new/cpu mobo coming that should push it harder.

So why wasn’t there a run on window AC units when the 3090s dropped? I live in Florida and there’s still plenty of them at Home Depot.
Because everyone already have a few and a couple of spares :)

Back