3090 fan going to max speed but temps are fine?

soupcxan

Limp Gawd
I just got two 3090 FEs and one of them ramps up the fans to 95-99% under any load while the other one ramps up normally and then hangs out around 60-70%. Temps for both cards are fine, around 60C. I can manually override the fan speeds with MSI afterburner but do I need to return the card that jumps to 99% fan all the time or is there something else to try first?

Is this in a SLI configuration, or are both cards in separate systems? If the former, then I imagine the top card would naturally be spinning its fans faster to deal with the heat coming off of the bottom card. You can manually set the fan curve with AB if the noise is bothering you, just be aware that the cards will be more likely to live in a lower point of the Boost table in order to stay within its temp target.

Is this in a SLI configuration, or are both cards in separate systems? If the former, then I imagine the top card would naturally be spinning its fans faster to deal with the heat coming off of the bottom card. You can manually set the fan curve with AB if the noise is bothering you, just be aware that the cards will be more likely to live in a lower point of the Boost table in order to stay within its temp target.

Both cards are on one mobo but not running in SLI. The setup is open to the air and horizontal at the moment so should not be heat differences between them. I tried swapping the position of the cards on the board but the one that runs the fans full out does it whether it's in the first slot or the third slot.

uninstall AB, then run ddu, then install newest drivers and see if it acts normally. if so, add AB back in.

I just got two 3090 FEs and one of them ramps up the fans to 95-99% under any load while the other one ramps up normally and then hangs out around 60-70%. Temps for both cards are fine, around 60C. I can manually override the fan speeds with MSI afterburner but do I need to return the card that jumps to 99% fan all the time or is there something else to try first?

If that was you, then as I mentioned in your other thread on I forgot where it was (not on this forum), you need a thermal pad backplate mod done on PCB and hotspots (might as well do the VRAM also as the stock pads tend to perform worse after the card is opened).

Back