3080 Ti @ $1299 ???

David-Duc

[H]ard|Gawd
I just reserved a Gigabyte 3080 Ti VISION at MC @ $1299... I'm now reading about next gen nvidia / amd cards are going to drop later this year, do y'all think it is still a good time to buy a 3080 Ti at that price? Or maybe a 4070 @ $800 that is as fast as a 3080 Ti will be release soon?

On a side note... Any problem with the Gigabyte Vision version of the 3080 Ti? It's 2-300 bucks cheaper than other 3080 Ti at MC.

https://www.microcenter.com/product..._Triple-Fan_12GB_GDDR6X_PCIe_40_Graphics_Card

1648842433980.png

I don't think it's going to be "soon." I would think at least 4-6 months. I saw MC has 3060Tis for $599 that should keep things going if you want a new card but don't want to spend a lot of money.

Several best buys have FE's for $1199. Use the app trick to see if your local BB has one.
If you're sensitive to coil whine then stay away from the FE 3080 TI. Plus there seems to be about a 50% chance of getting one with an extremely noisy fan.

If you need this level of performance now then go ahead and grab a 3080 TI. It will probably be at least 6 to 7 months or more before the next gen cards come out and they could end up being hard to get a hold of anywhere near launch times.

Prices are starting to crash lol

Good. my ass is on a 2080 and I may upgrade to a 3080 to help with my rendering now and then off load it later when i can buy 2x 4080 starting a job that pays $365 a day in a month so fuck it...

starting a job that pays $365 a day in a month so fuck it...
What kind of work? Everything I find that pays like that isn't legal around here :ROFLMAO:

I just reserved a Gigabyte 3080 Ti VISION at MC @ $1299... I'm now reading about next gen nvidia / amd cards are going to drop later this year, do y'all think it is still a good time to buy a 3080 Ti at that price? Or maybe a 4070 @ $800 that is as fast as a 3080 Ti will be release soon?

On a side note... Any problem with the Gigabyte Vision version of the 3080 Ti? It's 2-300 bucks cheaper than other 3080 Ti at MC.

https://www.microcenter.com/product..._Triple-Fan_12GB_GDDR6X_PCIe_40_Graphics_Card

I have been back and forth personally on just dropping a grand on a high end card now that they coming down some and water-cooling again. Mostly because its fun but nothing I do really calls for it so purely a luxury purchase for me. I think that if anyone picks up something this late in the cycle it makes sense to run that card for a year at least and who knows it may take that long for the next gen cards to be readily available. In short if you need /want the high end performance now just get it and keep for a year + before looking again.

Well I could not swallow the $250 extra for 3-5% performance so I grabbed a 12G 3080 instead… $1049.
Also don’t plan to upgrade every cycle unless I need the performance (3440x1440@60Hz) so this one should last me at least 3 years.

Attachments

• C4D12290-8B23-4273-843C-6BB63A9D54A9.jpeg
    C4D12290-8B23-4273-843C-6BB63A9D54A9.jpeg
    786.3 KB · Views: 0
I got an Gigabyte Aorus two weeks ago @ $1499, and since that's at stock pricing I'd say now is the time to buy.

40x0 cards are NOT coming this year MAYBE next year and will be hard to get at first

40x0 cards are NOT coming this year MAYBE next year and will be hard to get at first
And where are you pulling that information from? There's not a single reputable person out there that has said that. Every single person in the know has made it clear that the next generation of Nvidia is coming this year.

Picked up a Zotac 3080 12 G for $999. No point paying $300 for 3-5% perf delta. Would probably make it up with a slight overclock.

Was getting pissed off at the 3070 hitching at 1440P max details on my secondary rig. Will throw in the Zotac there.
And yes, if you are looking for logic to my video card purchase decisions then I might disappoint you. :D.

And where are you pulling that information from? There's not a single reputable person out there that has said that. Every single person in the know has made it clear that the next generation of Nvidia is coming this year.
I agree with this, but also agree with the second part of his post. I would usually never even consider an upgrade to the same Gen card but with the virtually guaranteed lack of availability, im toying with the idea of upgrading to something with more than 10GB of vram while I can.

Given the 2 year plague of low stock, I would say now is the time to grab the
best you can.....that said, who knows what prices will do in a month when all the usual resellers have boatloads of stock.
Given the scalping on the release of the 3080s, and the difficulty to buy one, Id bet we'll see the same crap with the 4080s.
GPUs are the new Air Jordans.

I would also expect 4xxx series to be heavily scalped. I can see the queue starting back up at MC every morning. If they build up a huge supply for release them scalping will mitigated tho. If I was Nvidia I wouldn't launch unless I have a giant pile of GPUs ready for sale on release day.

I would also expect 4xxx series to be heavily scalped. I can see the queue starting back up at MC every morning. If they build up a huge supply for release them scalping will mitigated tho. If I was Nvidia I wouldn't launch unless I have a giant pile of GPUs ready for sale on release day.
Or keep supplies low to purposely increase the price? At this point I assume the worst when it comes to the likes of Nvidia.

Or keep supplies low to purposely increase the price? At this point I assume the worst when it comes to the likes of Nvidia.
Keeping the price up for low supply doesn't benefit Nvidia. It only benefits the AiB and scalpers.

Keeping the price up for low supply doesn't benefit Nvidia. It only benefits the AiB and scalpers.
That is very true and a very popular misconception.
nvidia sells chips and I suppose engineering support for PCB construction.
If the price goes up after the scalpers get ahold of the product, nvidia sees no benefit.
Sure if the product is crazy in demand, nvidia sells all their chips and their shareholders are very happy.
I think we will see a similar scalping fiasco at the outset of the 4000 series release simply because people are expecting a supply-demand problem.
My gut tells me, this may not be the case and if one simply waits a month or so following the scalper-bot grabs, things will sort themselves out.

One thing that may slow down the stampede is the power requirements (if you believe the early press).
Looks like the new gen of PSUs will be needed and that will set off another supply issue, finding a quality power supply......

Sure Nvidia 40-series will probably launch later this year, but I'm going to guess will have similar stock issues as the start of Ampere, like good luck getting one before next year. So if you want something now vs Q1 next year, then sure grab it. $1299 was probably the AIB MSRP for that or damn near close.

I did buy 3080ti for $1300 two weeks ago (same model as original poster). It has been working great with no issues (no mem overheating either). Paired great with 48C1 and I can now run games 4k120 (yes I actually get 120 fps in most games).

Seem impossible to entertain outside a massive change that there would not be a supply issue at launch in 2022.

How could it not be, you still can't buy a regular 3080 on bestbuy.com or amazon.com now except if you go for some $1000 USD and above model (or a PS5, so it is not like console will not put pressure this next holiday season again), I would not expect to be able buy the much more in demand at launch 40xx something, nor expect the AMD/NVIDIA of the world doing a release only if they are sure they will not be sold out day one, i.e. everyone expect that to certainly happen, so how much of a cost there would be to face, imagine a console maker trying to have stock to ship day one 100% of the pre-sales and first day sales...

If the price is permanently high on the mid term I would imagine it can start, later release of new model gpu were probably higher price for AMD/NVIDIA than they would have been and what they would be able to charge for this generation has well.

I did buy 3080ti for $1300 two weeks ago (same model as original poster). It has been working great with no issues (no mem overheating either). Paired great with 48C1 and I can now run games 4k120 (yes I actually get 120 fps in most games).

Are you running @ straight ULTRA / max default settings? Can you name a few specific titles?

I have a R7 3700x cpu, ASUS Dual RTX 3070 OC 8GB, 32 GB RAM @ 1920x1080 and have to knock shadows and some water effects and / or ASF from 16x to 8x and some reflections down to HIGH in most games to get 60+ FPS.

EDIT: I'll list some titles later...

Are you running @ straight ULTRA / max default settings? Can you name a few specific titles?

I have a R7 3700x cpu, ASUS Dual RTX 3070 OC 8GB, 32 GB RAM @ 1920x1080 and have to knock shadows and some water effects and / or ASF from 16x to 8x and some reflections down to HIGH in most games to get 60+ FPS.

EDIT: I'll list some titles later...
You have to turn down settings in most games to get 60 FPS at 1080p with a 3070? There is something seriously broken on your computer. Even at 1440p there are literally only a handful of games where a couple settings have to be compromised to maintain 60 FPS with a 3070.

^^^ jobert - I want 60 FPS as my minimum in gameplay - not 30 fps min and 90 fps max for a 60 fps average in a BM

I'll try some games that have BM's & post again. It's been a while since I dicked around with BM's, but I don't want my FPS to drop below 60 FPS in game, so I have to reduce some settings that don't effect visuals too much...

^^^ jobert - I want 60 FPS as my minimum in gameplay - not 30 fps min and 90 fps max for a 60 fps average in a BM

I'll try some games that have BM's & post again. It's been a while since I dicked around with BM's, but I don't want my FPS to drop below 60 FPS in game, so I have to reduce some settings that don't effect visuals too much...
And I'm talking about 60 FPS as a minimum. You said most games which is laughable as I know darn well if there's a game dropping below 60 FPS at 1080p then it's some weird optimization issue not from lack of GPU horsepower. But please feel free to list all these games that a 3070 can't hold above 60 FPS at only 1080p. A 3070 at 1080p is way more GPU power than a 3080 TI at 1440p and my 3080 TI is just twiddling its thumbs at 60 FPS in nearly any game other than Cyberpunk 2077 with Ray tracing fully maxed out and no dlss. I had a 3070 that I used for over 6 months and played every game at 1440p 60 FPS minimum fully maxed out other than literally two or three exceptions where I needed to reduce a setting or two.

Last edited:
OK, I have a list of fairly recent games w/ BM's installed, so I'll "FPS around & find out" next weekend.

Okay maybe I'm missing something here but what the heck is BM?

I don't have time for BM's now, but it dawned on me - I swapped ram between 2 PC's when I moved (6 months ago) and had to shuffle my work box & game box to the new rooms in a new house. Quick check shows that I never enabled XMP on the game box and my ram is running below rated clock speeds. I'll mess w/ this as time permits.

Ran BM in FC6 before & after enabling XMP (it was on auto) w/ negligible diffs:

Here's BEFORE & AFTER

FarCry®6 4_26_2022 2_37_00 PM.png

FarCry®6 4_26_2022 2_54_12 PM.png

FarCry®6 4_26_2022 2_34_28 PM.png

FarCry®6 4_26_2022 2_34_43 PM.png

FarCry®6 4_26_2022 2_35_07 PM.png

FarCry®6 4_26_2022 2_35_21 PM.png

I have 60FPS as my min, but I did tweak settings...

Do you see any settings that I have jacked up jobert ?

Soooooo many settings & options...

I tried several combinations & when I turned on DXR Reflections & DXR Shadows my frames really dropped.

Advice is welcome, but I am happy w/ how it runs & looks currently...

I got this whole PC last year w/ RTX-3070 for $1,600 @ MicroCenter
- it is in store pick-up only & still the same price.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/630918/powerspec-g707-gaming-pc

It's the only pre-built I ever bought since my first Gateway 2000 DX-33 in 1995 or 97?

Last year, the RTX 3070 was impossible to find @ under $1,300, so this made sense.

I added 2x 6TB WD BLACK spinner HD's (one data & one games) & also back up my data drive to 2x external 6TB's

I'd love to see everyone's 3060 / 3070 / 3080 / 3080-ti BM's for FC6!

EDIT: ^^^ I'll make a new thread for that ^^^ and post a link here later.

Last edited:
Back