3080 or 3090 and old Corsair 850w hk?

Bravo25

Limp Gawd
So roughly 3 years ago when I built my current pc; I bought a Corsair 850w HK power supply. Will it be fine to use with a 3080 or 3090? Plan to upgrade to a new i5 or amd 4000 series when it comes out.

Price creep on 750+ watt power supply's, I think the fear marketing is working guys.
If its strictly gaming the 10600k clocks well enough to be a good choice.

Price creep on 750+ watt power supply's, I think the fear marketing is working guys.
If its strictly gaming the 10600k clocks well enough to be a good choice.

The most demanding thing I use my computer for is gaming.

Reactions: Mylex
like this
Yeah, it should be perfectly fine. Especially if it's only 3 years old? If it was 8-10 years I'd say start looking... 3 years? I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I'm hopeful on zen3, hopefully it can catch up the last little bit of single thread performance with Intel. If not and you mostly game, Intel it is ;).

Well that would be a pretty stupid thing to do. So you going to stick a freaking $1,500 video card with a CPU that has less cores and threads than the damn consoles? Please use some basic common sense and at least get an i7 if you're getting Intel.

Well that would be a pretty stupid thing to do. So you going to stick a freaking $1,500 video card with a CPU that has less cores and threads than the damn consoles? Please use some basic common sense and at least get an i7 if you're getting Intel.
If he's just gaming he won't notice the difference. Please don't try and sell future proofing. No such thing in tech.
relative-performance-games-38410-2160.png
relative-performance-games-2560-1440.png
relative-performance-games-1920-1080.png

If he's just gaming he won't notice the difference. Please don't try and sell future proofing. No such thing in tech.
View attachment 276796View attachment 276797View attachment 276798
And what a load of crap because there is a such thing as future proofing within reason. I think buying a 3090 and sticking it with an i5 would be one of the most asinine things anyone could do. If you have $1,500 for a GPU then spend a hundred dollars more and get a proper CPU that will easily handle all the future games just fine.

And what a load of crap because there is a such thing as future proofing within reason. I think buying a 3090 and sticking it with an i5 would be one of the most asinine things anyone could do. if you have $1,500 for a GPU then spend a hundred more dollars and get a proper CPU that will easily handle all the future games just fine.
That's like saying if you buy a 3090 and have a I7-8700k you might as well throw the CPU away. Look at the graphs Intel's cpu's i5 and up have next to no separation because they've had to put hypertheading just to position them next to Ryzen.

If he says all he does is gaming why should he pay more for very little difference on the Intel side or lose frames on the Amd side?

That's like saying if you buy a 3090 and have a I7-8700k you might as well throw the CPU away. Look at the graphs Intel's cpu's i5 and up have next to no separation because they've had to put hypertheading just to position them next to Ryzen.
No you're not looking at the damn context here. He is going to build a brand new computer so if doing so it makes sense to go ahead and spend a hundred bucks more and get the i7 at this point.

No you're not looking at the damn context here. He is going to build a brand new computer so if doing so it makes sense to go ahead and spend a hundred bucks more and get the i7 at this point.
The context is he just doesn't value paying for a CPU that does better in something that's not gaming because he only cares about gaming.

The context is he just doesn't value paying for a CPU that does better in something that's not gaming because he only cares about gaming.
He doesn't give a flying fuck about value if he's paying $1,500 for a video card. 🙄

He doesn't give a flying fuck about value if he's paying $1,500 for a video card. 🙄
He values gpu specs/performance and wants that 15-20% increase over the 3080 but not the 2% difference at best in CPU performance in games.

On one side, he really doesn't need more than a i5.

On the other, it is kind of weird to go so overboard on the GPU and "cheap out" on the CPU.

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Anyone with a lick of damn sense building a new Intel computer would go i7 or i9 if they don't mind spending $1,500 on a GPU. To even argue differently is not even worth wasting any more time on so knock yourself out with the last useless comment.
LMAO... It out performs the i9-9900k stock(both stock leads when ocd) on average. So your thoughts are to pay more just so you can justify buying the video card. Let me know when they check the CPU you are pairing with a card before purchase.

10600k and 9700k/kf #s are interchangeable, so what's the problem if he's gaming?

If he was running a 2600 I'd think he was gimping the gpu, that gimped my 1080ti compared to 9700kf.

Also your psu is fine until it's not.

Had a Seasonic 860 platinum that I had to replace bc Vega 56 would crash the box when a game fired up. I wouldn't worry about it until you see actual problems.

10600k and 9700k/kf #s are interchangeable, so what's the problem if he's gaming?

If he was running a 2600 I'd think he was gimping the gpu, that gimped my 1080ti compared to 9700kf.

Also your psu is fine until it's not.

Had a Seasonic 860 platinum that I had to replace bc Vega 56 would crash the box when a game fired up. I wouldn't worry about it until you see actual problems.

His type is one of the reasons I haven't posted here in some time. 10600k and a 3090 will do nicely for gaming in 4k and vr.

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Anyone with a lick of damn sense building a new Intel computer would go i7 or i9 if they don't mind spending $1,500 on a GPU. To even argue differently is not even worth wasting any more time on so knock yourself out with the last useless comment.

He's not building a new computer, he's buying a video card. Two different things.

Just ignore, the 10600k will be fine. When new CPUs drop you can re evaluate, but I doubt anything will change. People are just bad at reasoning sometimes. They can't separate emotion from reality. What good is future proofing if you'll most likely be upgraded again before then 😜. That's how I look at it. I get a new CPU every 2-3 years... I didn't buy a 3950x to future proof when I can buy a CPUs that work for what I need and buy another in 2 years if there are any updates and still come out cheaper... it's not that I can't afford it, but just because you can afford something doesnt mean you should. No, I buy what fits at the time and then when I am looking again I evaluate and buy what makes sense. I may wait for a small window if new products are dropping, but that's about it. It's not as if the 10600k is going to stop playing games in 6 months time.

Just ignore, the 10600k will be fine. When new CPUs drop you can re evaluate, but I doubt anything will change. People are just bad at reasoning sometimes. They can't separate emotion from reality. What good is future proofing if you'll most likely be upgraded again before then 😜. That's how I look at it. I get a new CPU every 2-3 years... I didn't buy a 3950x to future proof when I can buy a CPUs that work for what I need and buy another in 2 years if there are any updates and still come out cheaper... it's not that I can't afford it, but just because you can afford something doesnt mean you should. No, I buy what fits at the time and then when I am looking again I evaluate and buy what makes sense. I may wait for a small window if new products are dropping, but that's about it. It's not as if the 10600k is going to stop playing games in 6 months time.
Yeah you're right people are just bad at reasoning because after all it makes perfect goddamn sense to spend $1,500 on a GPU but save $100 on a CPU. Yeah that's real logical to have less CPU cores and threads than the goddamn consoles are going to have. Yep that all makes perfect sense. And he lists a 1440p monitor in his signature but I guess that makes perfect sense too to use a $1,500 video card at that resolution. 🙄

Trolls don't seem to understand how PC gaming works. Comparing PC cores to console is a dead give away. The troll did remind me to update my sig tho, lol.

Trolls don't seem to understand how PC gaming works. Comparing PC cores to console is a dead give away. The troll did remind me to update my sig tho, lol.

True, also the mistake of comparing cores and ram density spread across 3+ generations for 1:1 in place swap I keep seeing in onprem virtualization or hybrid cloud moves. It doesn't work that way.

His type is one of the reasons I haven't posted here in some time. 10600k and a 3090 will do nicely for gaming in 4k and vr.

Yeah, in fact there's isn't much in the Ampere threads about people finding motivation to upgrade their panels based on use case. New monitor capability lags far behind components, so when I see big gains start being pushed by panel manufacturers I figure there was a "there" there a couple gens back. It's always fun to watch game builds lag behind but the day a component feature is promoted, and panels are the opposite spectrum.

Back