3080 12 GB

It'll only exist in pictures of storefront websites and mining rigs. No need to worry.

There's no point to buying this card for mining. It's too expensive for what it is and the hash rate you will get.

The only reason it exists is because Nvidia wants a higher margin than the regular 3080. This is a money grab. I would expect this to be easier to come by just like the 3080 TI versus regular 3080.

Why would they sell cards at $699 when they can sell the same thing for $1,000+? plus

Pricing is at the mercy of the AIBs and retailers. There is no "FE" version of the 3080 12GB, as far as I'm aware.

Pricing is at the mercy of the AIBs and retailers. There is no "FE" version of the 3080 12GB, as far as I'm aware.

I was reading some articles on that, I don't think an fe version of the 3080 12 gb version exists.

So this is Nvidia throwing AIBs a bone...

Would the average person rather a $699 FE version of a 3080 or a $1399 Zotac version? All things being equal, the average consumer would buy the cheaper card and generally loathes the fact that the AIB is marking up the price extravagantly to the point where some wouldn't buy those cards on principle regardless of the reasons for the disparity in cost. In this case there is no "FE" card to compare it to, nor even a "MSRP" to compare it to, so as long as the card is priced under the 3080Ti, the AIBs can charge whatever they want.

This is dirty and we've all been played.

What a ridiculous card in a world where the 68SM 10GB 320bit 3080 exists. The long-rumored 20GB version of the 68SM 3080 would have made sense, it would have served a useful differentiation without being confusing. I agree that this is just a way to get rid of MSRP on the 3080.

Now that NV has played their waste-of-time hand here, the next thing to watch will be Intel Arc pricing 'cause that's going to strongly influence how silly the high-memory-capacity 3070Ti launch will be. Sky's the limit for NV RTX tier absurdity so that'll be fun to see unfold :rolleyes:

What a ridiculous card in a world where the 68SM 10GB 320bit 3080 exists. The long-rumored 20GB version of the 68SM 3080 would have made sense, it would have served a useful differentiation without being confusing. I agree that this is just a way to get rid of MSRP on the 3080.

Now that NV has played their waste-of-time hand here, the next thing to watch will be Intel Arc pricing 'cause that's going to strongly influence how silly the high-memory-capacity 3070Ti launch will be. Sky's the limit for NV RTX tier absurdity so that'll be fun to see unfold :rolleyes:
The only thing crazier than the prices are the amount of people scrambling over each other to buy them.
What a world.

The market has spoken.

I canceled my Zotac pre-order for 1600 at BH. Even a junkie needs a break at times :) This is basically another 3080 ti from the benchmarks, in all but the name. And both of these can also be called 3090 12 GBs.

The market has spoken.
a market that's under a unique influence of two years of global pandemic related issues, but yeah. NV knows they can get away with anything right now and they're trying to saturate the market and review cycle while continuing to allow AiBs to set prices.

a market that's under a unique influence of two years of global pandemic related issues, but yeah. NV knows they can get away with anything right now and they're trying to saturate the market and review cycle while continuing to allow AiBs to set prices.

Can’t really single out Nvidia on this, have you seen the price of AIB AMD cards? They are just as bad.

There's no point to buying this card for mining. It's too expensive for what it is and the hash rate you will get.

The only reason it exists is because Nvidia wants a higher margin than the regular 3080. This is a money grab. I would expect this to be easier to come by just like the 3080 TI versus regular 3080.

Why would they sell cards at $699 when they can sell the same thing for $1,000+? plus
The real question is, why would you announce a MSRP that you know retailers aren't going to abide by? (I know legal reasons) Basically you just alienate your customers by doing so.

I would rather Nividia & AMD come out and say, "Here is our new product, hopefully you can get it at a reasonable price".

Can’t really single out Nvidia on this, have you seen the price of AIB AMD cards? They are just as bad.
True that. To be clear, if there's blame for the pricing part I would place it on Pandy issues and neither NV nor AMD nor the AiBs. It's just the chaos of NVs approach to the situation that gotten me riled up. AMD released a stack and is letting the AIBs do their thing while NV is doing what practically amounts to stunts at this point to generate attention and dialogue about their products... and it's working.

The real question is, why would you announce a MSRP that you know retailers aren't going to abide by? (I know legal reasons) Basically you just alienate your customers by doing so.

I would rather Nividia & AMD come out and say, "Here is our new product, hopefully you can get it at a reasonable price".

That's why it has been argued you won't see one (thereby setting a dangerous precedent).

Found Asus Strix 3080 12gb for.... wait for it... $2100 here in Sweden.
4 were in stock 30 minutes ago, now only 1. So it's selling fast.
I did pay $1550 for my 3080 10gb LHR so... yeah...

I wonder why they dropped the "Super" moniker. This card is exactly what a Super card was. This reminds me a bit of the GTX1060 3/6GB in that there needs to be a direct identifier.
I guess it is proof they intend to hard brake the 10GB and fully replace with the 12GB.

Last edited:
The only thing crazier than the prices are the amount of people scrambling over each other to buy them.
What a world.
Amazing isn't it. I absolutely refuse to pay a cent over MSRP for any pc component. If said product does not have a MSRP from the original maker of the chip, I simply won't buy. That principle has served me well over the years, even if it sometimes mean I go without. I honestly don't understand folks who over pay hundreds of dollars for essentially a toy.

Last edited:
While I agree with you in principle. In practice many times it seems to go the other way. Sears, Kmart, RCA, Victorola, Lehman Brothers, Blockbuster, et al. All companies that put investors before their customers. Customers are where the $ comes from. If you treat your customers like crap, they will eventually stop buying and/or using your product(s). We shall see if eventually this befalls Nvidia. It hasn't yet, and I can admit that as someone who himself bought a 3080.
Those company's had MANY rivals, Nvidia has one bumbling one.

Amazing isn't it. I absolutely refuse to pay a cent over MSRP for any pc component. If said product does not have a MSRP from the original maker of the chip, I simply won't buy. That principle has served me well over the years, even if it sometimes mean I go without. I honestly don't understand folks who over pay hundreds of dollars for essentially a toy.
Fear of missing out, or they like to brag, which is also dumb, look at me look at me! I just got railed in the wallet!

Last edited:
The use of "global" in global pandemic is redundant.

But yes, I agree, Nvidia doesn't give two shits what AiB's sell them for as long as they keep coming to them for chips. Nvidia probably has no stance on what they should be sold for and only offers MSRP for legal reasons because they have to.

Or they have the money and can afford it comfortably (probably most buyers over msrp).
If people can afford playing 2 to 3 times the sticker price comfortably, great, good on them. I however have a moral obligation not to be a part of the problem.

If people can afford playing 2 to 3 times the sticker price comfortably, great, good on them. I however have a moral obligation not to be a part of the problem.
Yeah I can afford a card but the constant feeling of knowing how much I overpaid would ruin any enjoyment. On the flipside when you get a card half off you really fucking love it.
I guess mining is a great way to offset the cost, that's what everyone else is doing.

Quite a few of us can comfortably afford cards at the current pricing, but I don't think that many are willing to pay for overpriced hardware for gaming. Will be interesting to see where we end up if the GPU market stays the same for another 2-3 years. If only a small portion of the pc-gaming base has cards that can do RT and high quality settings then the graphics will probably start to stagnate due to developers deciding that consoles defines the mass market and high end graphics is a niche. There is also a good chance that a lot of people will just stick to their weaker hardware or abandon PC gaming due to cost.

The 12gb version is basically a 3080 super with horrible value (at least for those of us who payed around MSRP for our cards and probably most others as well). If I was willing to pay 3080 12gb prices then I would have had a 3090 instead of a 3080 as the 3090 was quite a bit cheaper at launch than the 12gb 3080 is now.

Quite a few of us can comfortably afford cards at the current pricing, but I don't think that many are willing to pay for overpriced hardware for gaming. Will be interesting to see where we end up if the GPU market stays the same for another 2-3 years. If only a small portion of the pc-gaming base has cards that can do RT and high quality settings then the graphics will probably start to stagnate due to developers deciding that consoles defines the mass market and high end graphics is a niche. There is also a good chance that a lot of people will just stick to their weaker hardware or abandon PC gaming due to cost.

The 12gb version is basically a 3080 super with horrible value (at least for those of us who payed around MSRP for our cards and probably most others as well). If I was willing to pay 3080 12gb prices then I would have had a 3090 instead of a 3080 as the 3090 was quite a bit cheaper at launch than the 12gb 3080 is now.
I am thinking about simply getting a PS5 or Xbox Series X and ride it out on the couch, until some sense appears for the pricing.

This is right, in my view. I am able to buy cards at current prices, but the needle has far overshot the price I'm willing to pay. There are so many more worthwhile ventures for the price where cards currently are.

The prices on the 12gb cards are ridiculous. Even EVGA is getting in on it. The old 3080 ftw 3 could be had under 900. The 12gb is $1300.

The prices on the 12gb cards are ridiculous. Even EVGA is getting in on it. The old 3080 ftw 3 could be had under 900. The 12gb is $1300.
Meh the price isn't any more egregious than the 3080 Ti, it's effectively the same card for $100-$200 cheaper. What a deal.
The problem would be if the original 3080 10 GB stops being made.

Meh the price isn't any more egregious than the 3080 Ti, it's effectively the same card for $100-$200 cheaper. What a deal.
The problem would be if the original 3080 10 GB stops being made.
I got a feeling it will be. I haven't seen many 3080s coming in stock recently.

Yep. Paid 929 for mine after the price hike. This is ridic. Are people mining on these things or is this purely supply and demand I wonder.

What a world.
Prior to the start of all of this nonsense, I owned a GTX1080Ti.
I sold that card and added the additional funds to buy the 6800XT on release.
We all know what happened there...very little supply and almost zero chance of getting one.
Since then, I sourced a GTX770 which initially had a broken fan.
I cleaned it, re-pasted the TIM with really good stuff and ordered and installed two new dual ball-bearing fans.
That will have to do for now given this madness.
I sourced an inexpensive non-gaming card as a direct backup.
If the 770 fails, the other will allow me to check e-mail and do basic computer tasks.
If I want to have somebody shove their hand up my a**, I'll seek out a proctologist for a proper exam.

Prior to the start of all of this nonsense, I owned a GTX1080Ti.
I sold that card and added the additional funds to buy the 6800XT on release.
We all know what happened there...very little supply and almost zero chance of getting one.
Since then, I sourced a GTX770 which initially had a broken fan.
I cleaned it, re-pasted the TIM with really good stuff and ordered and installed two new dual ball-bearing fans.
That will have to do for now given this madness.
I sourced an inexpensive non-gaming card as a direct backup.
If the 770 fails, the other will allow me to check e-mail and do basic computer tasks.
If I want to have somebody shove their hand up my a**, I'll seek out a proctologist for a proper exam.
What did the 770 cost if I might ask?

Calling it now:

RTX 4070 - $999
RTX 4080 - $1199
RTX 4090 - $2999 (minimum)
Probably quite close if the supply situation is better. I'd hike the 4080 to 1299$ at least though, considering the 3080 12GB was listed at eVGA store for over 1300€.

Calling it now:

RTX 4070 - $999
RTX 4080 - $1199
RTX 4090 - $2999 (minimum)
Depends entirely on performance, eh. If the 4070 is double the 3080 then sure $999 is reasonable.
The naming scheme is arbitrary. FFS the regular "3080" should actually be a "3080 Ti" if you go by the GPU itself but nobody ever talks about that.

Honestly my 2080ti will do me just fine for a few mire years if needed. I am to blind to see a 20 percent better card. So the next gen needs to be a much bigger increase for me to benefit from it.

Back