3070 FE w/12 pin dongle

DarkSideA8

Gawd
Just got mine today - TYVM, BB - and noticed it has a 12 mini-pin dongle that attaches to a standard 6 pci +2 pci (aka 8 pins) lead from the psu.

What is the purpose? Feeding power to different channels?

Why not just feed the 8 standard directly from the psu?

The purpose is for fun. All those pins are tied together on the card. 6+2 is only 3 12v pins and 5 ground pins. A 8 pin would be preferable as its 4 12v and 4 ground and is rated for more watts as a result

Just got mine today - TYVM, BB - and noticed it has a 12 mini-pin dongle that attaches to a standard 6 pci +2 pci (aka 8 pins) lead from the psu.

What is the purpose? Feeding power to different channels?

Why not just feed the 8 standard directly from the psu?
On the 3070 it doesn't serve a damn bit of purpose.

No purpose lol. I ordered a replacement to make the cables cleaner. For the 3070, it isn't so bad though. The 3080/3090, it's a Y adapter though so it's gets ugly.

Total side-bar question (but still about the 3070)

-- Since installing this, whenever I am in a game, I get a constant small FPS counter. Green. It's not the one that you can select in the GeForce Experience overlay; that one is much bigger. This is like a small, 14 point font distractor that I can't figure out how to make go away. Way up in the upper left corner. Disappears in desktop mode (web browsing, word, email) but when I initialize a game, there it is.

Ideas on what setting I may have hit?

Is it MSI Afterburner's? DarkSideA8
I don't know. Don't think so. I used to have a MSI card on the system - but I haven't used AB in years. Did a clean install for the 3070 driver yesterday.

The big change, aside from the new card, was going to the NV Experience (free year with card) where previously I just used the free app and manually updated drivers. Also went from dvi to DP.

I half wonder if I accidentally pressed something on the monitor (it displays a steady 60 fps) - but AFAIK, the HP ZR24w does not have an FPS function.

It's weird

I don't know. Don't think so. I used to have a MSI card on the system - but I haven't used AB in years. Did a clean install for the 3070 driver yesterday.

The big change, aside from the new card, was going to the NV Experience (free year with card) where previously I just used the free app and manually updated drivers. Also went from dvi to DP.

I half wonder if I accidentally pressed something on the monitor (it displays a steady 60 fps) - but AFAIK, the HP ZR24w does not have an FPS function.

It's weird
Afterburner will run no matter brand card you have.

Make sure it's not running in the system tray.

I got a 3060 Ti FE that has the 12-pin also... have to use the adapter to plug in an 8-pin 😅

Total side-bar question (but still about the 3070)

-- Since installing this, whenever I am in a game, I get a constant small FPS counter. Green. It's not the one that you can select in the GeForce Experience overlay; that one is much bigger. This is like a small, 14 point font distractor that I can't figure out how to make go away. Way up in the upper left corner. Disappears in desktop mode (web browsing, word, email) but when I initialize a game, there it is.

Ideas on what setting I may have hit?
sounds like Steam FPS counter
1610570101130.png
1610570076405.png

Attachments

• 1610570024929.png
    1610570024929.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 0
Why? The very short mini-12 connecter that came with the FE literally matches the Corsair black mesh cabling.
Maybe so he doesn't need the adaptor? I can see the appeal of having a cable that just goes straight from the power supply to the card with no doofy adapter required, although I wouldn't spend money on it.

Maybe so he doesn't need the adaptor? I can see the appeal of having a cable that just goes straight from the power supply to the card with no doofy adapter required, although I wouldn't spend money on it.
Unless you have a cable from the PSU that ends in mini connector - you still need the adapter.

Literally cannot tell I have an adapter - the one that came with the card looks exactly like it came with the Corsair PSU

They want to make 12 pin a new standard so they can get power supply makers to start including them on higher wattage models.

Back