3060 Ti Heat ... normal or did I just turn on the oven?

harddud

Limp Gawd
I just completed my latest build, including a Gigabyte B550 MB, 5600X (stock cooler), and an eVGA 3060 Ti video card, and a Corsair 750W PS all mounted within a Fractal Define R5 case. The rig that was replaced included a very old MB, a 3770K, and a 1660 Ti video card. It never gave me any problems. I have my computer on a tile floor underneath my computer desk.

Up until now, I have never noticed a heat problem with any system that I have built in the last 30 years. Both the new CPU and GPU of the new system tend to run hot and I don't mean their core temps. After building the system I tried a simple game with non-challenging graphics. Within 5 minutes of starting the game I felt that my crotch was on fire! The heat that this new system puts out is incredible. I am more concerned that I have created a monster heater with this new build. I live in Florida where it is already too hot/sticky enough as it is, I don't want to add to it.

Anyone else with a similar system ... is this amount of heat normal for the 5600X/30XX vid card combination? I could add more case fans but that would just make the components cooler and me hotter. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

It shouldnt be running that hot, but a lot of older fractal cases didnt have very good airflow. Depending on what fans you have in there and if you have clogged vents or dust filters, you could be haveing barely any airflow.

I just completed my latest build, including a Gigabyte B550 MB, 5600X (stock cooler), and an eVGA 3060 Ti video card, and a Corsair 750W PS all mounted within a Fractal Define R5 case. The rig that was replaced included a very old MB, a 3770K, and a 1660 Ti video card. It never gave me any problems. I have my computer on a tile floor underneath my computer desk.

Up until now, I have never noticed a heat problem with any system that I have built in the last 30 years. Both the new CPU and GPU of the new system tend to run hot and I don't mean their core temps. After building the system I tried a simple game with non-challenging graphics. Within 5 minutes of starting the game I felt that my crotch was on fire! The heat that this new system puts out is incredible. I am more concerned that I have created a monster heater with this new build. I live in Florida where it is already too hot/sticky enough as it is, I don't want to add to it.

Anyone else with a similar system ... is this amount of heat normal for the 5600X/30XX vid card combination? I could add more case fans but that would just make the components cooler and me hotter. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Modern hardware puts out a lot of heat volume. Core temps may be good-----but your heatsinks and fans will be dumping a lot of heat, into the room.

I have my computer in a bedroom and I need to open a window when I stream.

Posting component temps really wouldn't help that much. The amount of heat it dumps into the room is going to have more to do with total power consumption. Individual component temps indicate how efficient heat is being dissipated, not really how much total heat is being dissipated.

In general your old CPU and GPU combo had a tdp of ~197 watts not accounting for any overclocking. Your new combo has tdp of 265 watts. Not crazy by todays standard but it is a pretty decent jump.

Posting component temps really wouldn't help that much. The amount of heat it dumps into the room is going to have more to do with total power consumption. Individual component temps indicate how efficient heat is being dissipated, not really how much total heat is being dissipated.

In general your old CPU and GPU combo had a tdp of ~197 watts not accounting for any overclocking. Your new combo has tdp of 265 watts. Not crazy by todays standard but it is a pretty decent jump.

Not enough to set one's crotch on fire I would argue ;).

Well, Fire Crotch, after being roasted by this hot reception, have you warmed up to this crowd yet?

(I'll be here all week. Try the veal and tip the waitresses.)

Anecdotal information like "my crotch is on fire" is pretty useless without actual numbers to ascertain what is going on.

My idle temps for the CPU and GPU in the Fractal Define R5 with two (2) case fans are at about 52C each. It is only when I run just about any game (even a simple one) that the temps go up (mid 70s C) and the air under my desk becomes noticeably hot. I was running a 1660 Ti and never noticed the heat ... at all. I understand that the 3060 Ti draws more power ... but this card is making my room very hot.

Consider this. The 3060 TI Is a 200w card. Your CPU is 65w. So if you are gaming hard. You have a 250w heater.. it's not a 1:1 but I use a 250w ceramic heater to supliment heat a room about 10x10. So yes it's going to make you feel hot

yeah, this gen of gpus put out alot of heat ,especially during summer months.
Right now during winter, it's acceptable.

I might have to put a fan near pc to blow away the heat to another room... starting
around may...

I have two central air conditioners in my house and a little 5000BTU/hr window unit for my home office. Sometimes I run all three at once, though only running the window unit is pretty common.

A simpler game can actually make more heat than a graphically intensive one. Heavy graphics can result in the system ending up totally GPU bound and the CPU sitting around spending half its time waiting for the GPU. Simple graphics tend to have the opposite effect. You can end up with the game running as fast as one core can go and the GPU is strolling along at a 20% load or whatever. If the load is more balanced you can end up with the CPU and GPU both being heavily loaded, producing maximum heat. One thing you can do with games that run far faster than you need them to is set a framerate limiter or enable vsync. If you have, say, a 120Hz monitor and a game is running at 240fps limiting it to 120fps can save quite a bit of power/heat.

Anecdotally, I have a 12900k/3080 system under my desk on a bare floor, where it's close enough that my knees can touch the case, and I've never felt like my crotch was on fire sitting at my desk.

Anecdotal information like "my crotch is on fire" is pretty useless without actual numbers to ascertain what is going on.
Exactly. How many crotches are burning? How many times has YOUR crotch been on fire? What color is the smoke? Details, man, details...

How can we game
When our fans are turning
How do we game
While our crotch is burning

sounds like you need some a/c or to move you rig away from the crotch.

There is no way in hell those components run hot enough to burn your crotch. I run a 3080ti and a 5950x and don't notice the heat coming off my PC while gaming. It ring next too me on my desk too.

to be fair, sitting in 30c florida heat with 50/60+ comp air blowing at you might feel like a blow torch on the balls...

I hear there is medical procedures for having a fire in your crotch. If the fire I your crotch last more than 4 hour consult a physician. Don't let fire in your crotch run your life.

On a serious note add more fans to increase air flow. Will keep things cooler and faster moving air won't feel as hot.

My idle temps for the CPU and GPU in the Fractal Define R5 with two (2) case fans are at about 52C each. It is only when I run just about any game (even a simple one) that the temps go up (mid 70s C) and the air under my desk becomes noticeably hot. I was running a 1660 Ti and never noticed the heat ... at all. I understand that the 3060 Ti draws more power ... but this card is making my room very hot.
Well I just replaced my 011 dynamic with an 011 dynamic XL due to the radiating heat, with the XL I had room to add a couple extra fans at the bottom (2x 140mm ones) and due to the extra airflow in my case there is a lot less heat radiating out of it. So adding extra fans can certainly help.

Back