3008WFP VS. 3007WFP-HC

Then tell me how the BIOS is viewable on the 3007WFP on a multi-tude of video card and motherboard combinations?

The video card is only going to output whatever it is told to. I can promise you that the POST screen and BIOS screens are not output to the display at those resolutions. The 3007WFP has two native resolutions but it can display anything. What it can not do is scale the resolutions to fit the display in hardware as it has no scaler. You need to use software to scale images across the display and even when that is done the 3007WFP displays those images surprisingly well.

The 3007WFP-HC, like all modern monitors, passes EDID data to the graphics card. The card knows what resolutions the monitor supports, and it can scale any other resolution to the correct native resolution.

Most monitors have a scaler chip for displaying non-native resolutions, either through VGA (where EDID compliance is not guaranteed and the monitor must handle whatever is thrown at it) or when hooked up to a device that doesn't support the monitor's native resolution (e.g. a video game console or set-top-box).

If you hook your monitor exclusively to your PC, save the $ and get the 3007WFP-HC. It's a fine monitor. If, however, you want to be able to hook your monitor up to a video source (PS3, XBOX, etc.) or if you need VGA inputs for compatibility, the 3008WFP is where it's at.

If, however, you want to be able to hook your monitor up to a video source (PS3, XBOX, etc.) or if you need VGA inputs for compatibility, the 3008WFP is where it's at.

Yet it's lacking support for all the 16:9 resolutions, at least according to what that guy posted.

You can too play consoles on monitors without scaler chips. I used to play my 360 on my vx2035 @ 720p and that monitor definitely doesn't have a scalar in it.

Yet it's lacking support for all the 16:9 resolutions, at least according to what that guy posted.

The lack of 16:9 resolution is only a problem if the device outputs non-square pixels. Some widescreen games on the Wii and older consoles send a horizontally squished 4:3 image (things in the image are tall and thin) that is stretched out to 16:9 by the monitor.

With my 2405WFP, and I assume the 3008wfp, you would have to display these inputs at a 16:10 ratio.

All this talk about scaling is pointless.

The 3007 has one input and is a computer monitor only. It can display anything that a computer will throw at it just as well as the 3008. Any resolution scaling will be handled by the graphics card with no issues.

Now whether additional inputs to handle other than your computer is worth $400 is up to you. It isn't to me.

Though Dell Canada is pissing me off. I want a 3007 and the price hasn't budged from $1600 in months while in the USA it has been hovering between $1100 and $1300 the whole time.

Does the 3008 buzz like 3007? I have had 3 3007s with buzzing problems.
Brightness goes up, buzzing gets louder. :mad:

Does the 3008 buzz like 3007? I have had 3 3007s with buzzing problems.
Brightness goes up, buzzing gets louder. :mad:

Not sure but I've yet to hear that on my 3007WFP. I've had it for over a year and even at full brightness there is no buzzing.

You can too play consoles on monitors without scaler chips. I used to play my 360 on my vx2035 @ 720p and that monitor definitely doesn't have a scalar in it.

If the monitor supports more than just the native resolution of the LCD panel, its got some scaling action going on.

wow, i didn't know the 3008WFP had a scalar in it. so it can run basically any resolution? of course running the native res is the "goal", but some games and movies and what not are not suited or capable to run such high resolutions. i'll have to consider this monitor more seriously when i look to upgrade.

wow, i didn't know the 3008WFP had a scalar in it. so it can run basically any resolution? of course running the native res is the "goal", but some games and movies and what not are not suited or capable to run such high resolutions. i'll have to consider this monitor more seriously when i look to upgrade.

Well the scaling in the NVIDIA drivers work pretty well. Really the main reason to have a scaler in the display is for connecting devices like an XBox 360 or a DVD-player. Those devices won't handle scaling on their own so a built in hardware scaler is a must.

Well the scaling in the NVIDIA drivers work pretty well. Really the main reason to have a scaler in the display is for connecting devices like an XBox 360 or a DVD-player. Those devices won't handle scaling on their own so a built in hardware scaler is a must.

ah, i suppose you're right. so...perhaps the scalar really isn't all that big of a deal? i basically just want assurance that it can run whatever res i'd throw at it, from a DVD to an 800x600 game.

i should mention that, in the event of my getting a new screen, i wouldn't be using a console or other external device, so i suppose the built in scalar really doesn't mean much to me?

ah, i suppose you're right. so...perhaps the scalar really isn't all that big of a deal? i basically just want assurance that it can run whatever res i'd throw at it, from a DVD to an 800x600 game.

i should mention that, in the event of my getting a new screen, i wouldn't be using a console or other external device, so i suppose the built in scalar really doesn't mean much to me?

Correct. Monitor scalers SHOULD do a better job than graphics cards, but if you are only using the monitor on a computer the increase in price isn't worth it.

Slightly off topic but does anyone know of a reputable manufacturer that make an armature for this beast? I can't really acclimate to the height. Ideally I would like the bottom of the screen to sit flush to the desk and the only way to do that hitherto has been to set it on top of the box it came with. Not an elegant solution. Also it is 30+ lbs. it must be one of the heaviest LCD monitors on the market.

Slightly off topic but does anyone know of a reputable manufacturer that make an armature for this beast? I can't really acclimate to the height. Ideally I would like the bottom of the screen to sit flush to the desk and the only way to do that hitherto has been to set it on top of the box it came with. Not an elegant solution. Also it is 30+ lbs. it must be one of the heaviest LCD monitors on the market.

What's the weight of the monitor without the stand?

Thats a hefty stand then.

Put a 30in 25ish pound monitor on a 5lb stand and when your AC kicks on it may blow over your sail of a monitor. ;)

I too am curious about arms anyone has mounted the 3008 on. I think I'd like to do an arm but not sure and so far all I've looked at are like $300 which seems a bit high.

Holy thread revival batman!

Sorry I just did a search for this because way back when the 3007WFP-HC was released I picked one up and have been running 2560x1600 like a happy chappy ever since!

However I was given an xbox360 for free the other day and have been pondering how to hook it up to this monitor! I was going to go with a VGA to DVI but when I tried a DVI connector laying around the house I realised it wouldnt actually fit the monitor so obviously the pins of the connectors for DL-DVI are slightly different.

I did take a look online and they're scarce but you can pick up VGA to DL-DVI connectors, but now reading this thread it sounds like the 3007 doesn't do 1:1 pixel mapping, I guess that would usualy be the scalers job?

Anyhow I've just orderd an analogue TV input card for the PC which can do 1920x1080 through an S-video input so I intend to pipe the xbox out at 1920x1080 to that and then have the software (or my video card) scale that image to fit the screen. Since most 3D xbox games dont actually run at 1920x1080 for performance reasons I guess the image will be being internally scaled by the xbox to 1920x1080 then that image will be scaled again to 2560x1600,

I'm guessing that its going to look pretty shadey once its finally displayed, mind you the xbox does a reasonable job of upscaling and so do modern video cards since I play some of my PC games at 1920x1200 and even 1680x1050 upscaled to 2560x1600 and it actually looks pretty reasonable, so maybe the end result wont be so bad...

Anyhow I'm not sure what my point is...I guess i'll let you know how it turns out lol, but spending another ~£1000 on the 3008 isnt an option for me right now, and from what I've read that monitor has about 1/2 a second of input lag anyhow which is impossible to game on...I guess making a fast scaler that can handle 4 million pixels isn't cheap :)

There have been several good coupons recently, but many of them either don't include monitors or only include certain models (usually not the 30"). Does anyone know if Dell ever discounts either of these (coupon or otherwise)? Looking to upgrade my 2407 I got a couple years back, but hoping to find a decent deal first, like i did with the 2407.

Holy thread revival batman!

Sorry I just did a search for this because way back when the 3007WFP-HC was released I picked one up and have been running 2560x1600 like a happy chappy ever since!

However I was given an xbox360 for free the other day and have been pondering how to hook it up to this monitor! I was going to go with a VGA to DVI but when I tried a DVI connector laying around the house I realised it wouldnt actually fit the monitor so obviously the pins of the connectors for DL-DVI are slightly different.

I did take a look online and they're scarce but you can pick up VGA to DL-DVI connectors, but now reading this thread it sounds like the 3007 doesn't do 1:1 pixel mapping, I guess that would usualy be the scalers job?

Anyhow I've just orderd an analogue TV input card for the PC which can do 1920x1080 through an S-video input so I intend to pipe the xbox out at 1920x1080 to that and then have the software (or my video card) scale that image to fit the screen. Since most 3D xbox games dont actually run at 1920x1080 for performance reasons I guess the image will be being internally scaled by the xbox to 1920x1080 then that image will be scaled again to 2560x1600,

I'm guessing that its going to look pretty shadey once its finally displayed, mind you the xbox does a reasonable job of upscaling and so do modern video cards since I play some of my PC games at 1920x1200 and even 1680x1050 upscaled to 2560x1600 and it actually looks pretty reasonable, so maybe the end result wont be so bad...

Anyhow I'm not sure what my point is...I guess i'll let you know how it turns out lol, but spending another ~£1000 on the 3008 isnt an option for me right now, and from what I've read that monitor has about 1/2 a second of input lag anyhow which is impossible to game on...I guess making a fast scaler that can handle 4 million pixels isn't cheap :)

Just for the record, I've installed a really cheap TV tuner card, cost about £25 ($50) and had a bash at the xbox360 input. I only realised after buying the card that composite and S-video both only support upto approx 480p resolution, which works from xbox360 out to the PC through the composite cable. It actually doesnt look too bad on a 2560x1600 display considering how low res 480 actually is, a lot of blurring from upscaling helps :)

Anyhow now Im on the hunt for a tv tuner/capture card that can handle 1080p through component inputs since thats the next best thing, unfortunately they dont appear to exist outside the professional editing range that cost like $3,000 range...oh well :p

I hate the anti-glare coating on my refurbished 3007. It makes it look dusty and muddy on a white background.

How is the coating on the 3008? It is crystal clear?

I hate the anti-glare coating on my refurbished 3007. It makes it look dusty and muddy on a white background.

How is the coating on the 3008? It is crystal clear?

They are the same. This is the nature of all 30'' IPS.
Samsung's PVA 30'' is less noticeable.

They are the same. This is the nature of all 30'' IPS.
Samsung's PVA 30'' is less noticeable.

Are you sure? You had both or just read the reviews? Because the 3008 looks way better IMO.

I paid $850 shipped for my 3007 hc from the outlet. I LOVE it. The pic is perfect, the light bleed is not horrid around the corners, I don't even notice it unless I'm looking at a completely black screen. The scaler option is pointless if you have a good video card, even my old 8800gts scales the bios screen fine. I borrowed my dad's color spyder to try and optomize the colors, but it did more harm than good. Plus, dell honors their zero dead pixel on outlet monitors. I'm a little in love with this monitor. The 3008 is a good looking beast too, but for $850 I couldn't say no. I did, however, have to upgrade my video card. I was getting ~35fps in Left 4 Dead on medium settings with that 8800.

I got my refurb 3007 for $850 shipped too few months back.

You sure it is crystal clear on white background? No muddy or sparky screen on white background?

I can see it on mine and I wear a minus 12 contact lens.

My 3 year old Dell 24" look sharp and pure white.

I got my refurb 3007 a couple weeks ago, but with the deal they have on the 3008 I don't know if I made the right decision. I would like the extra ports (they're not mandatory), but is it really worth the extra $400? I got 5 year warranty for the 3007 and it came out to $914. A NEW 3008 with 5 year warranty is $1240. Decisions, decisions....

I have about another week until I can't return the monitor. Any thoughts?

I read somewhere that perhaps a backlid is coming?

Why is Dell lowering the price like this? Not a $600 drop.

My 3007 WFP-HC arrived and no issues with sparky or muddy color. Did not need the extra connectors as the 3008 has, no issue with lag either on this 3007. Some from the Dell refurb site are returned monitors that had issues or some monitors never left the shipping dock because the customer canceled the order. Perhaps you might have gotten a bad one chong67

The price drop could be a cause of the economy, or a newer model is around the corner, only a guess. Newer models will command about $2000 at first and never know what you get until other customers try them out.

I got a used 3007WFP-HC for ~€740 incl. shipping from eBay. I don't need the extra connectors of the 3008WFP and don't want the inputlag either.

Dell 3008 = High Input Lag
3007 -HC = Much better input lag!

therefore 3007 HC = win if you do any fast paced gaming(FPS)

I play a lot of Call of Duty : World at War, Killzone 2, Halo 3, and Gears of War 1 and 2 on my 3008. Personally, I've never had any issues relating to input lag. QC issues involving terrible backlight bleed on the other hand, is probably the only thing that people need to worry about.

Even with the latest REV A02, Dell has failed to overcome the issue. Not to mention, the loose screen/bezel issue. A lot of people have said that its totally normal for the screen to be loose as it sort of expands with heat, but my good old BenQ FP241W was pretty much perfect in that respect.

Yea I have 2 of the 3007WFP-HCs and my only complaint is the anti-glare coating that they used. Does have sparkle and if you play a movie you can see the images moving while the coating stays still.

I would like to see the Samsung 305T PVA panel. Just dont think any stores have it on display.

Just pulled the trigger at Dell for one of these.

Had one of their first 30" models and I missed the 2560x1600 resolution.

For 1200 bucks shipped with advanced exchange and zero bad pixel guarantee I figured worth a shot.

+1 for hating the anti glare on my 3007

Looks like my screen is dirty all the time...

WHY CANT WE HAVE SOME MORE 30'' options!!!!

Bingo!

That is what I am trying to communicate. My screen looks muddy. Its sparky. I hate whatever the coating they havve on the screen.

Are some of you saying that you dont have this coating?

In any case, if you dont know what we are talking about, dont go and look for it! Otherwise you may not like it.

No noticeable sparky for me. Perhaps some coating on some on the LCD's are more noticeable to some and not others or there would be tons ( I mean tons ) of complaints. Some have seen it and others like myself do not. Some notice lag on the 3008 and some do not, go figure

Purchased a refurbished 3007-WFPHC, it came defective. Whole lower half of monitor dims completely and randomly.

I want to make it explicitly clear after dealing with their Tech Support I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER buy another product from Dell. I will spare the details but the last time I called I sat on the phone for 2 hours and spoke with 7 people.

I will also add that the phone call in question was 1week and 3 days after waiting for my replacement they said would be sent out. Checked last night hoping it was finally shipped out and I discovered they CANCELED the order.

Back