3008WFP owner finally looking to upgrade. PG348Q in my cart. Change my mind?

criccio

Fully Equipped
I've had my 3008WFP since roughly 2010 when I bought it second hand. To this day it's been my favorite piece of hardware I've ever purchased (at the price I paid for it, it had better be!)

It's seen 4 different total PC builds and even more graphics cards in between. Only in the last few years was I able to play games on it at its native resolution with the settings maxed out.

Over the past year, the refresh rate bug has finally hit me as 60hz just isn't cutting it anymore. Currently I have a GTX1070.

What I DONT want:
2560x1440 anything
FreeSync

What I want:
Over 2560x1440
G-Sync
100Hz or more

I see Asus just announced a 4K 144Hz panel but it's not coming out until Q2 and will likely be considerably more than the PG348Q.

So, we have the PG348Q and the X34. They seem quite similar and I can get the Asus cheaper so if comes to it, I'll go with that.

Am I missing something? Any monitor I'm not thinking about?

There is that Korean Microboard but that makes me nervous.

Thanks guys!

Well, I think I will! Apparently no one has any other suggestions lol..

A good number of us were digging through snow today in the Northeast, so you will probably get more responses tomorrow ;)

At this point, i'm willing to take the risk for the increased refresh rate. To be honest, I've been looking for a little more horizontal space anyway so I have a feeling i'm going to enjoy this.

Come to think of it though, the 30" isn't going anywhere... It'll just be off to my left so I'll still be able to take advantage of it.

Microboard is a VA panel with Freesync and no warranty. I would go for it around $500 or less. It's not worth $700.

I would go with PG348Q. I owned pretty much every high-end gaming monitor on the market and Dell s2716dg, pg279q and pg348q are my choices. People can cry and moan on the forums about ASUS but they will fianlly come around and fix or replace your stuff if you bought a high-end monitor. Every pg348q will have blb just like any other IPS monitor so live it. The design is great, yes, it looks futuristic online but in person it's very clean and you don't notice it.

If you want to stay 30" then Dell UP3017 is only choice. My wife uses one.

Yeah the BLB is worrisome but I feel like I get quite a lot with my 3008WFP already and it really doesn't bother me as much as some people it seems.

I love all Dell's 30's but it seems they're all 60Hz and that's kinda the deal breaker as I'm looking to finally step up to something faster.

Yeah the BLB is worrisome but I feel like I get quite a lot with my 3008WFP already and it really doesn't bother me as much as some people it seems.

I love all Dell's 30's but it seems they're all 60Hz and that's kinda the deal breaker as I'm looking to finally step up to something faster.

I really don't care for blb. I've had IPs monitors since 2008. 60Hz feels really laggy.

Well it's a little late for that.. lol

Unfortunately if i want high res with high refresh rate, this is the best option.

Like I said though, my 3008WFP isn't going anywhere, I have a big desk so it'll stay hooked up off to the left.

Well it's a little late for that.. lol

Unfortunately if i want high res with high refresh rate, this is the best option.

Like I said though, my 3008WFP isn't going anywhere, I have a big desk so it'll stay hooked up off to the left.

As much as I like 1600p I must say 1440p is a lot better for productivity.

As much as I like 1600p I must say 1440p is a lot better for productivity.

I guess this is unrelated to my inquiry but how so? You're literally just losing vertical real estate? That's exactly the reason why I never went from my Dell 2560x1600 to one of the faster 27" 1440p models in the last few years.

3440x1440 makes up for it a bit by giving you the extended horizontal real estate so I feel it's finally time to upgrade.

Unless when you say "1440p" you're also referring to 3440x1440. I was assuming you meant 2560x1440...

I guess this is unrelated to my inquiry but how so? You're literally just losing vertical real estate? That's exactly the reason why I never went from my Dell 2560x1600 to one of the faster 27" 1440p models in the last few years.

3440x1440 makes up for it a bit by giving you the extended horizontal real estate so I feel it's finally time to upgrade.

Unless when you say "1440p" you're also referring to 3440x1440. I was assuming you meant 2560x1440...

You lose horizontal but gain vertical.

You lose horizontal but gain vertical.

Wait.. Going from 1600p to 1440p you don't lose horizontal at all...

Let's be clear here, generally, 1600p is 2560x1600. 1440p is 2560x1440. Going from 1600p to 1440p, all you lose is vertical space.

I had a Dell 3008 from 2007. I finally updated my gaming monitor to an ASUS G-Sync monitor at 1440P and am very happy with it. Of course, I still have the Dell as a 2nd monitor right next to my ASUS. I did not have any issues with the slightly smaller screen or resolution.

O god, i'm in love.

IMG_20170111_184232.jpg

I had a Dell 3008 from 2007. I finally updated my gaming monitor to an ASUS G-Sync monitor at 1440P and am very happy with it. Of course, I still have the Dell as a 2nd monitor right next to my ASUS. I did not have any issues with the slightly smaller screen or resolution.

I'm referring to 2560x1600 vs 3440x1440.

Back