3007 vs 24T input lag comparison photos

IMGP2141.jpg

IMGP2139.jpg

I can't find any stopwatch software that goes down to thousandths, but these pictures proved the Sanny lags approx 40ms behind the 3007. If anyone wants to point me in the direction of a better timer app, I'll take more snaps (I couldn't find "stopwatch pro 3.1" anywhere, just "vitrual stopwatch pro 3.1" which is clearly not the right thing).

OK, got a timer with thousandths going. Hopefully we can now stop debating input lag on the 3007.

Image 1 shows the sammy 54ms behind the 3007:
IMGP2143.jpg

Image 2 shows it 33ms behind, which is the smallest gap I saw in all the pictures I took:
IMGP2146.jpg

consistant and reproducable results, lag is no longer debatable IMO.
54ms thats a bloody joke, PVA sucks.

Well, the 244T is particularly awful. I haven't got a 2405 handy, but my feeling from memory is that it's not nearly as noticeable in practice as the 244T.

its not as noticable as the 244T but then the 2405 is a PVA display and the 244T an S-PVA (alot more overdrive basicaly).

Indeed. I expect the 2407 will seriously blow....

I was thinking of egtting a 2407 a few months back, but decided I couldn't be bothered to wait and found a good deal on the 3007. Thank god I didnt hang on for the 2407.

245T wont surprise me if it adds another 10ms or so of lag :)
abit f**king stuipid if the lag is several times worse than an online ping speed?

I don't understand. Dell's G to G is 11 ms, Samsung is 6 ms. How can the samsung be slower than the dell?

Happy Hopping said:
I don't understand. Dell's G to G is 11 ms, Samsung is 6 ms. How can the samsung be slower than the dell?

Response times are lies.

Happy Hopping said:

This thread is about input lag, not pixel response. The two are totally separate and completely unrelated issues.

Thanks for documenting this - I had a 244t and sent it back because the lag drove me crazy. Has anyone started a list anywhere of which 20+" panels lag versus which are safe?

So far, I've heard the Apple cinema 23" and this Dell 3007 don't seem to lag. I don't really want a 30" screen, so I'm hoping some other screens get proven to not lag.

Happy Hopping said:

The 3007 has an LG panel not samsung, that 6ms response time doesnt come free and only achievable using massive amounts of overdrive. 6ms g2g I would guess a 12ms btw and at least 16-20ms average response time, dont forget to add 20-30ms of input lag. I shall state again PVA is not suited for gaming/video, people can argue what they want.

caboosemoose said:
Indeed. I expect the 2407 will seriously blow....

I was thinking of egtting a 2407 a few months back, but decided I couldn't be bothered to wait and found a good deal on the 3007. Thank god I didnt hang on for the 2407.

Indeed, I feel exactly the same...damn fine testing there, thanks.

How does those 2 digital 1/1000 sec. set up? What's that software? Is the return key press simultaneously?

What causes Input lag if it is not the response time of the LCD?

The color, contrast, even sharpness, on the dell look horrible compared to the samsung.

One thing I notice on these forums is people generally don't look at the total package and only think of things like whats the fastest, what has the most power etc.

If I were to do anything besides gaming 24/7 I would take the samsung on color quality and sharpness alone. Then again the 3007 is really to high a resolution for practical gaming...

if your gaming speed does matter and 20-30ms increase in input lag is unacceptable no matter how much better the samsung is.

must be the overdrive compensation. It must be READING the input and spitting out the corrected/over-driven output much later. What doesn't make total sense is that the delivery of output varies! Maybe it has some algorithm that can determine how many pixels it MUST HARD FORCE on or off and if there are less pixels needed at a particular moment it passes the image on without much needed alteration resulting in a quicker delivery time.

of course . i have no idea what i'm talking about . but if I were asked to brainstorm such a over-drive circuit, some ideas above would be coming up. The differences in lag may be a power saving feature within the overdrive circuit, once again going back to the "how many pixels to overdrive theory"

it is the overdrive:

1) The samsung 244T has the same lag issue as the Dell 2405 and Acer.
2) The 244T is alot worse.

whats commnm between these is they are all PVA based with the 244T using the new 24" S-PVA panel.

Yeah, but someone compared the new 2407 to a 2405 and found it had less lage - and I believe the 2407 uses the same S-PVA panel as the 244T, so go figure...

So is the color and contrast really that bad on the 3007 or was it hooked up to the VGA port or something?

That yellow tinge and blurriness make it look really bad for such a high res monitor.

peacetilence said:
So is the color and contrast really that bad on the 3007 or was it hooked up to the VGA port or something?

That yellow tinge and blurriness make it look really bad for such a high res monitor.

Umm, what?

sometimes, when i'm looking on post like this ... well.. i got the feeling that is something's wrong with you guys :)
don't be mad :)

why you wasting your time with some stupid clock? can you really saw this 0:005s diffrence ? come on :)

greetings,

Peacemaker.

You don't see it, but you feel it. I obviously didnt return my 2405 so its not too bad for me (I dont play FPS's) but I would still like to know if it is present on the 2407.

+50ms monitor lag is worse than +50ms ping, as the game has no way of knowing that your monitor is lagging, and hence cannot compensate.

50ms can mean, even in a slow paced FPS that someone is really no longer under your crosshair, even when your lagged monitor indicates they are. Hence you miss, hence monitor lag is bad, hence the 244T (and most other large PVA based monitors) is bad for FPS gaming.

I'm sorry you don't feel this relevant, but given the massive marketing push to hype low response times, it would appear it is something the majority of the market DOES seem to care about.

Peacemaker said:
sometimes, when i'm looking on post like this ... well.. i got the feeling that is something's wrong with you guys :)
don't be mad :)

why you wasting your time with some stupid clock? can you really saw this 0:005s diffrence ? come on :)

greetings,

Peacemaker.

Sorry, but you're quite wrong. The lag on the 244T is quite noticeable withiut measuring it. The whole reason why people are using these clocks to measure lag is becasue they felt that some of these monitors were lagging and they wanted to find out by exactly how much. People did not just suddenly decide to measure / compare lag for the fun of it. They did it because a problem had been detected during normal viewing.

I didnt have to measure anything, try farcry/doom3 at maximum difficulty and you will see your dead before you have even had a chance to shoot (head shot that is).

You don't need a timer to tell something is wrong. You'll get owned quickly with a 2405 in a hectic FPS game.

DusanV said:
You don't need a timer to tell something is wrong. You'll get owned quickly with a 2405 in a hectic FPS game.

try farcry at maximum difficulty, then try a head shoot I bet your dead before you can even do this :)

peacetilence said:
The color, contrast, even sharpness, on the dell look horrible compared to the samsung.

One thing I notice on these forums is people generally don't look at the total package and only think of things like whats the fastest, what has the most power etc.

If I were to do anything besides gaming 24/7 I would take the samsung on color quality and sharpness alone. Then again the 3007 is really to high a resolution for practical gaming...
first thing I noticed too.
but then again, this thread isn't about picture quality.
just one harmless question...how do you know that the difference is the fault of the two different displays, and not the video card?

snowwie said:
first thing I noticed too.
but then again, this thread isn't about picture quality.
just one harmless question...how do you know that the difference is the fault of the two different displays, and not the video card?

tried 3 video cards, different drivers, clean xp install.

it was the display, hooked up DELL P1130 lag is non-existant, its the display.

Several people have recreated it. And I like many others swapped which port the CRT and the lcd were hooked to. The 2405 was always lagging no matter what port was used.

Marty81 said:
Has the 3007 been tested against a CRT yet?

caboosemoose tested the 3007 against the Samsung 244t (244 is known to lag 40-60 ms) and it was well ahead of it. I'll test the 3007 against a CRT next week when I get it but I think it'll be OK.

As for gaming on the 3007: it has two native resolutions 2560x1600 and 1280x800. You can always run games with all bells and whistles at 1280x800. The bigger problem with gaming and the 3007 I think will be the sheer size of the monitor. I'll need to sit back I think or risk hurting my neck.

DusanV said:
As for gaming on the 3007: it has two native resolutions 2560x1600 and 1280x800.

I'd hardly call pixel doubling 'native resolution'. Should be better than other options though.

Back