$300 To Spend ... I'm torn.

I have run into some cash - $300. I am in a S478 (2.8c) / Abit IC7 Max 3 looking to move to S939/A64. Can I get the job done with single core or should I reconsider and move to dual core? Looking for the best CPU/Board combo.

I am going to be doing the following...

Mame
Visual Pinball/Future Pinball
Email/Browsing
Excel/Word
Blogging
Photo editing (nothing professional).
Transferring video from my Canon Elura 100 MiniDV Camera

AM2 is not much more at this point. Rising DDR1 prices suck too. I'd reccomend Conroe, but 300 won't cut it for a CPU/Mobo.

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe + X2 3800 = 300?

Opps ... Forgot to mention. Ill be taking the mem out of my S478 - Cosair (TWINX1024-4000PRO, XMS4000,1024MB, 3-4-4-8, 2x184) ..

PsychoPCFan said:
I am going to be doing the following...

Mame
Visual Pinball/Future Pinball
Email/Browsing
Excel/Word
Blogging
Photo editing (nothing professional).
Transferring video from my Canon Elura 100 MiniDV Camera

If thats all you do then I wouldn't waste the money upgrading because you don't really need to for that stuff. Maybe get a new monitor or some nice audiophile quality headphones, or something else where they'll be a worthwhile improvement.

if you're keeping your memory you could easily get a Dual core 939 and a nice SLI board like a epox 9NPA+ SLI or something for under your budget.

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe

if you're keeping your memory you could easily get a Dual core 939 and a nice SLI board like a epox 9NPA+ SLI or something for under your budget.

Why the hell does he need SLI if he plays games that will never need it?

si0dine said:
In the case of the epox it's a small difference in price that allows for expandability.
In my case I bought an SLI board while only using 1 6600GT.
Then when I went shopping for Raid controllers PCI-E was still open to me so I got a 4xPCI-e Raid controller that sits in the other SLI PCI-e 16x slot.

It's just cheap insurance in case he wants some other peripherals. Or if he all the sudden decided he liked a certain game.

Also in the case of the Epox the SLI version gets a 4 phase power supply and the regulal 9NPA+Ultra gets a 3Phase.

SKy042 said:
In the case of the epox it's a small difference in price that allows for expandability.
i don't think pinball is that graphically intensive :p

i vote stick with what you have. maybe buy a fast hard drive.

si0dine said:

Yeah like the above poster said. You can still get a board that supports it, but never use it. My friend has a SLI board and a ATI card. Will never even use SLI on it but still has the possibility.

Plus s939 SLI boards are really cheap these days.

Back