300 on card/speakers for movies/mp3 then gaming

El Nacho

Noobie Cheese
I'm using logitec z-560's and a SB live value (dont laugh) which has been more than enough for me for a while. The speakers are now starting to give me more issues than I care to deal with. If I'm going to get new speakers, migh as well get a new sound card. If I can get it, I would like digital, but I dont think its going to happen.

Two choices.

1) Spend all my money on the speakers and use my onboard or sb live value card.
2) Spend it on both a card and speakers.

I'm thinking option 2 and going with a audigy 2 zs and a set of Logitech Z-5300e

One other question. The speakers I've listed, how do they compare tot he 560's?

Another vote for option 2.

If I'm not mistaken, the Z-560 was "second from the top" (top-of-the-line being Z-680) in its day, and the Z-5300 is now "second from the top" to the Z-5500. A friend of mine has the Z-5300, and while it is no Z-680/Z-5500, he seems to like it, and it's not bad at all, I just happen to prefer the power of my speakers. I was considering the Z-5300e myself until I found out that I could get the Z-680 for $30 more, so I jumped at that deal.

If you're on a pinch, the Z-5300e are great speakers (and great looking too!), and they fit the bill quite nicely.

What 'issues' are you having?

$300 on another set of sub-par speakers is not wise, in my opinion. And a new soundcard? I don't think so--not when the budget is $300. My opinion is that you should start with a nice 2-speaker setup and build your way to a 5.1 system later, as you save up more money. The soundcard can probably wait until later too.

Definitely go get yourself a nice receiver and some bookshelf speakers.

Tofu Drift

How do the 5300 sound and what sound card is he using? The 560's were "top of the line" from logitec when I purchased them. the 680's replaced them. If I could find a set of 680 I would go with them.

xonik

I get very loud feed back when I adjust the volume from the breakout box. I am also geting low level of feeback and a high pitched hiss all the time from the speakers. I wont put 2.1 out of the option.

Eric1285

Space if very limited. Right now I have the sub undermy desk and my speakers on my wall. I have no room for big speakers and a recevier.

Thanks for the help guys...keep it coming.

Back