300 on card/speakers for movies/mp3 then gaming

El Nacho

Noobie Cheese
I'm using logitec z-560's and a SB live value (dont laugh) which has been more than enough for me for a while. The speakers are now starting to give me more issues than I care to deal with. If I'm going to get new speakers, migh as well get a new sound card. If I can get it, I would like digital, but I dont think its going to happen.

Two choices.

1) Spend all my money on the speakers and use my onboard or sb live value card.
2) Spend it on both a card and speakers.

I'm thinking option 2 and going with a audigy 2 zs and a set of Logitech Z-5300e

One other question. The speakers I've listed, how do they compare tot he 560's?

Tofu Drift

Limp Gawd
Another vote for option 2.

If I'm not mistaken, the Z-560 was "second from the top" (top-of-the-line being Z-680) in its day, and the Z-5300 is now "second from the top" to the Z-5500. A friend of mine has the Z-5300, and while it is no Z-680/Z-5500, he seems to like it, and it's not bad at all, I just happen to prefer the power of my speakers. I was considering the Z-5300e myself until I found out that I could get the Z-680 for $30 more, so I jumped at that deal.

If you're on a pinch, the Z-5300e are great speakers (and great looking too!), and they fit the bill quite nicely.

xonik

[H]F Junkie
What 'issues' are you having?

$300 on another set of sub-par speakers is not wise, in my opinion. And a new soundcard? I don't think so--not when the budget is $300. My opinion is that you should start with a nice 2-speaker setup and build your way to a 5.1 system later, as you save up more money. The soundcard can probably wait until later too.

Eric1285

[H]ard|Gawd
Definitely go get yourself a nice receiver and some bookshelf speakers.

El Nacho

Noobie Cheese
Tofu Drift

How do the 5300 sound and what sound card is he using? The 560's were "top of the line" from logitec when I purchased them. the 680's replaced them. If I could find a set of 680 I would go with them.

xonik

I get very loud feed back when I adjust the volume from the breakout box. I am also geting low level of feeback and a high pitched hiss all the time from the speakers. I wont put 2.1 out of the option.

Eric1285

Space if very limited. Right now I have the sub undermy desk and my speakers on my wall. I have no room for big speakers and a recevier.

Thanks for the help guys...keep it coming.