30-Story Building Built in China in Only 360 Hours

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
I don’t know what it is with the Chinese and lightning fast building, but we ran a story a couple of years ago about a very similar construction project. In any case, this is an impressive achievement on any level. Ignoring the fact that the building is pre-fab, doing anything on this scale in 15 days is a knockout. Earthquake resistant, energy efficient and built quickly; what’s not to like?

Honestly, this is how buildings and houses should be constructed. It's much more efficient to build sections in a factory and have them shipped to the construction site than shipping a bunch of raw materials to a location and having them constructed on site.

Honestly, this is how buildings and houses should be constructed. It's much more efficient to build sections in a factory and have them shipped to the construction site than shipping a bunch of raw materials to a location and having them constructed on site.

Building types should always reflect their location and risks. Prefab can work but only In places were flimsy wood frame houses are ok. Assuming it isn't a steel prefab house. Down here in Florida those prefab wood houses are about as unsafe as a trailer home. The only way to go down here is concrete and rebar. That's what Hati did because they get so many hurricanes. The problem is earthquakes shatter concrete structures so many people died there. The best way to go would be to make everything steel but I doubt that will happen.

I wouldn't call that building; more like erecting.

I would hate to see the price tag on that building, were it built in the US. All of the engineering, expensive materials, skilled labor...there is a reason why we build things here the way we do. Costs.

Also, I did not see them pouring any concrete. No pile caps, no spread footings, no gread beams, no elevator pit, no slab; just some pre-fabbed piles.

This is so flawed, it probably took a lot longer to make this in the factory than it did to "build it".

As long as you live in an area where it doesn't get too cold or too hot, this is fine. if you have to deal with frost heaves, snow load, or extreme temperature changes, that pre-fab is going to look like shit in 5 years.

Also, has anyone here ever had to install factory built "custom cabinets"? These factories can't even make a 2' by 3' plywood box square or plum. I'd hate to see what their house sections look like.

Hopefully it don't turn out like this apartment complex did.

Also it was in 2010 that they did a similar feat that was also posted here on [H].

While they may be cool to watch the videos I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in one. There is a reason we have strict building codes in the U.S. ;).

If it's built with the same engineer skill as China's high-speed train infrastructure it'll come crashing down in a month.

The video is pretty cool. But im not a pre-fab lover.

Im actually a pre-fab home owner. I ordered mine with plans the company had , modified them and signed them for order.

When the house arrived on the foundation. Stuff was missing ... modification werent done like on the plan. So many headaches i will never ever fuckin have again. Its like i missed 75% of the house construction and i arrived and tell them to fuckin redo it again. I would have prefer to be there for every godamn day then to revive all this again.

I know its maybe the company that was ''bad', but i will never do it again.

They look a lot more professional and organized than any north american construction crew, that I have seen.

Notice how you never see one guy digging a hole, or cutting materials, while 5 others lean on shovels or stand around.

I wonder why they built a hotel there. was it for people to visit the historical thriving metropolis around it, or the beautiful countryside.

They look a lot more professional and organized than any north american construction crew, that I have seen.

Notice how you never see one guy digging a hole, or cutting materials, while 5 others lean on shovels or stand around.

Those aren't construction crews, those are unionized Department of Transportation employees (I refuse to call them "workers"). Real construction crews can't afford to sit around because they actually have to compete with others. DOT employees don't have to worry about being fired, and their pay isn't tied to actual work done, so most of them just don't give a fuck (speaking from personal experience).

That's pretty much the strategy they use to construct aircraft carriers. Prefabricated units are welded together on site.

I think you are confusing contractors with cal trans

Can't really test things like this with a scale model, sure the frame alone stands up but what about all the extra weight of all the insulation walls people their crap etc. I,m guessing it would take around 3.6 secs to fall.

Eh, misleading since they are essentially just counting assembly of the pieces and not the time it took to create those pieces in the first place.

I have seen some amazing prefab houses, and would consider it if I needed little square footage. :)

Building types should always reflect their location and risks. Prefab can work but only In places were flimsy wood frame houses are ok. Assuming it isn't a steel prefab house. Down here in Florida those prefab wood houses are about as unsafe as a trailer home. The only way to go down here is concrete and rebar. That's what Hati did because they get so many hurricanes. The problem is earthquakes shatter concrete structures so many people died there. The best way to go would be to make everything steel but I doubt that will happen.

I am guessing a lack building codes and people that can read and understand them is what happened in hati.

As much as I normally like to bash china because there are a lot of reasons to bash them, I think this is actually a pretty neat concept. At least assuming that it does indeed turn out to be more efficient to build the pieces at a factory. I'm guessing it is though, as building a lot of the same thing (wall parts etc) is probably easier done in a factory than "in place". It totally looks like lego or k'nex pieces going together after. :D

Prefab houses and buildings don't have to be shitty. It just happens that most prefabrication is done to save money by using inferior materials. Just look at our modern day warships and aircraft carries. They are assembled in large prefab sections in order to speed up production time, not save money...

Never happen out here in Kalifornia. You couldn't even get a permit for a multistory building in 10 times as many days.

Great, they forgot the huge crane on the roof, how are they going to manage to get that thing down now?!

its awesome. and it does not have to be cheap, poor or inferior. In any case engineers will have come up with drawings and calculated things to compensate for the load. this would happen for the job site or in the factory. the good thing about the factory is that they have more potential for quality control. no need to worry if concrete was left to sit for a hour before delivery or the quality of employees or so on. Anyway kudos to china. maybe we can get some inspiration as a result.

This was tried before. It should make a come back. In the US between 1902-1910 you could order a prefab house from Sears Catalog. Yes, Sears. It would arrive via train and was quick to implement. I remember reading about them a few years ago. I also actually saw one on one of those flip this house programs. Pretty neat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefabricated_home

One more thing to add.

http://prefabcosm.com/blog/2007/12/17/historic-prefab-how-identify-sears-kit-home/

searshome.jpg

sears_prefab_hous.gif

Now they can build ghost cities 10x as fast.

Ha, I was going to ask if this was for another of their many ghost cities. If it is, it will likely go unrented and start to fall apart in 5 years like the rest of their buildings.

I'm guessing none of you clicked on the link, before you start trashing the idea.

What impressed me the most, are the following features of the building: it can resist a 9-magnitude earthquake (and was tested by the China Academy of Building Research), which is claimed to be five times more earthquake-resistant than conventional buildings. It is also five times more more energy efficient, with 6-inch thick glass curtain wall insulation and four-paned windows with built-in shades, a heat recovery system and 3-stage filtration air conditioning process that actually purifies indoor air to be 20 times (!) purer than the air outside.

So what will be going on in the building to need the 3-stage air filtration? Or is that common over there? I know we could use that here at work when the chili cook-offs come to town and everyone grabs lunch down there and comes back to work. ROFL

Back