30" - need a new high end card. Advice please

HD 4870X2 handles most games on a 30" just fine, and is a bit cheaper than GTX 295

of course, if you went GTX 285/295, you could use the 8800GTX for PhysX (yeah its wasteful but why not)

295 would be fine. Although there is a lot of talk of new cards on or around septemeber 10th.

I've heard nothing but good things about the the 295 FTW edition card. That being said, there are much cheaper options that would work just fine with your 30 incher. The 4870x2 and 4890's are great cards, as is the GTX 260 and up on the Nvidia side. Any one card would give you a performance increase, SLI/X-Fire would be better for high resolutions on your monitor... and for graphic intensive games.
I myself, decided to not buy a card until the ATI DirectX11 cards come out in the next couple months. (2x8800gt's for the win!)

Wait 20 days for the new ATI range, it'll give you new options and lower the price of the current cards.

unless you can get it cheap I would get a pair of GTX275 or GTX260 (cheaper) considering your mother board. but they are right. in 20 days we get to see the way thing are going to go for a while.

Actually you might want to see what the new nVidia cards look like. I'm waiting for all of the peices to come together.

I would get the brand new groundbreaking next generation ATI card the 5870 due out next month. It will be the fastest single card on the market no question. Now how much faster than the current single card king the GTX-285 nobody knows ? Could just be 25% faster, 50% faster or 100% faster :eek: We will know for sure on September 10

Even if the new 5870 is just a bit faster than the GTX-285 that is plenty good enough for a 30" Display. Look at my sig I play all my games 2560x1600res smooth butter with just one GTX-280

Yea,wait for the new cards monster cards are coming both from Nvidia and Ati.

I had two eVGA GTX 295 cards fail on me so I can't recommend it. I sold the third 295 eVGA sent me and bought an XFX GTX 285. It's working great for my 30" LCD with games like Mass Effect, L4D, Arkham Asylum demo, etc. on high settings. I'm waiting for the new cards to drive down prices of the GTX 285 so I can buy another one on the cheap to SLI in my rig. :D

Last edited:
Actually you might want to see what the new nVidia cards look like. I'm waiting for all of the peices to come together.

I am wondering as well, my issue is that I have an itchy trigger finger and nvidia looks to be a couple of more months away (wish I had something other then fud to go on here)

Grab a used HD 4870x2 of the forums. THeres someone on [H] selling one for $280 right now.

Wait until 5870x2 is released then get that.

You can look at my sig.

Can't beat the GTX 285.

And..........in the right game, an 4870 X2 (had two at one time) can't be beat.

I was looking at a 4890 1GB for my daughter recently, that's a pretty good choice as well, based on recent [H] game reviews.

Last edited:
if I was you and NEEDED a card right now, I would get a gtx 275 with available step up and see what happens. It has similar performance to a gtx 285 but nowhere near the price, don't spend too much now because new stuff is around the corner. if all else fails, you can use the gtx 275 for physx, sell it or possibly step up to a newer card but there is no telling when the newer cards will be released so step up may not be an option

Wait for the new cards... 4870X2 still doesn't take care of all the games at 2560X1600. Upgrade to i7 if you really want to spend some money right now.

as has been said many times before, wait for ATI's offering of the 5000 series. However DO NOT hold your breath for nvidia, as they have been pretty tight lipped on when their video cards are coming out (their dx10.1 gt210 is arriving in OCTOBER) so I personally wouldn't hold my breath.

The first to bear this re-branding will be the 40nm, DirectX 10.1 GeForce 210, set to hit the retail channels in October, followed later by the GeForce 230 and GeForce 300.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/20/nvidia-hopes-youll-be-better-able-to-identify-its-products-if-i/

as has been said many times before, wait for ATI's offering of the 5000 series. However DO NOT hold your breath for nvidia, as they have been pretty tight lipped on when their video cards are coming out (their dx10.1 gt210 is arriving in OCTOBER) so I personally wouldn't hold my breath.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/20/nvidia-hopes-youll-be-better-able-to-identify-its-products-if-i/

Yeah I heard about this new GeForce 210 coming in October as well. That will just be a budget card not the GTX-380, but now they changing the naming again, nVidia said no more GTX or GT naming, they want GeForce name again followed by a #. ok...

It seems to me this GeForce-380 or what ever it will be called is still a ways off then. Get the AMD 5870 in Crossfire will be the fastest setup in town

GT300 will be out late november/december (late Q4 2009) and it will probably crush the gt200 series..... (and ATI's new card out very soon)

The gtx 280 is 1 1/2 years old, and its still the fastest single gpu card on the planet..... :rolleyes: (gtx 285 doesn't count as its just a process changing rehash that does little for performance)

WAIT

GT300 will be out late november/december (late Q4 2009) and it will probably crush the gt200 series..... (and ATI's new card out very soon)

The gtx 280 is 1 1/2 years old, and its still the fastest single gpu card on the planet..... :rolleyes: (gtx 285 doesn't count as its just a process changing rehash that does little for performance)

WAIT

The GTX-280 is not that old, I bought one the first week they went on sale at newegg back in June of last year. So the card is only one year old.

And if you compared the GTX-280 to the 4870 1gb with latest drivers they are not night and day different in performance but actually rather close, sure the GTX-280 is faster than the 4870 1gb, but not killing it by any means, and the 4870 has always been cheaper anways.

I would expect this Fall the AMD 5870 and GTX-380 won't be too far apart in performance either. Both will be much faster than the current high end single cards the 285 and 4890.

Something else to consider: price. The new GT300 and ATI 5xxx series cards ain't gonna be cheap. If you're looking to buy one right away, don't be surprised to shell out $600 or more for the top line models.

Something else to consider: price. The new GT300 and ATI 5xxx series cards ain't gonna be cheap. If you're looking to buy one right away, don't be surprised to shell out $600 or more for the top line models.

Oh, because you have intimate knowledge of the upcoming pricing structure? :rolleyes:

No way they will be $600, not in this poor economy. Even the brand new 4870 when first released last year, was like $399 tops, maybe $349 less than one month later. So I would think the 5870 will be no more than $400, they could shock an awe us at $299 :D I bought the GTX-280 the first month of release, and it was the top end highest card from nVidia at the time, and it was selling for like $450, NOT $600.

As for nVidia, they have always been higher priced, but also a little faster performance as well. I would think their high end GTX-380 or whatever it will be called will be $400+, and their GTX-395 dual GPU could be pretty pricey, but that is many months away from release.

Bottom line, I am guessing both top end single GPU's from AMD and nVidia the 5870 and GTX-380 single cards will be around $399, and most likely less than that, no way near $600 in this market. The new 40nm process is supposed to be much cheaper on production. AMD/ATI is very aggressive on pricing, so I wouldn't be surprised that their top single card sells for much less than $400 at launch. I mean look at their current high end the 4890 which is only like $200.

Last edited:
Oh, because you have intimate knowledge of the upcoming pricing structure? :rolleyes:
No, because the best of the new line of cards from Nvidia and ATI were over $600 for the top models (I repeat: TOP MODELS) when first released. Of course, I'm sure both companies will break that habit and offer their newest, best cards for $250 each this time.

You guys are in fantasy land if you truly believe ATI and Nvidia are gonna play nice and offer the new cards at cut rate prices just because they're thinking of us during this awful economy. :rolleyes:

Bottom line, I am guessing both top end single GPU's from AMD and nVidia the 5870 and GTX-380 single cards will be around $399

Wait what??? The GTX 295 FTW is $559. How do you figure the latest and greatest from either of these companies would be any cheaper?

I thought the GTX 295 was top dog at the moment...I see others saying the GTX 285 is.

I would image the GTX 285 in SLI would be quicker than a single 5870 or GTX-380. Only a guess of course.

The 4870 was supposed to be released at $329 but Nvidia stole AMD's thunder with faster cards, so it was released at $299 instead. Considering that ATI is first to market with their new gen, unless Nvidia does something unexpected, the 5870 will be the fastest game in town. So I don't expect low prices and I'm guessing the 5870 will debut at $349 unless Nvidia can make a countermove on/before Sept 10th.

Wait what??? The GTX 295 FTW is $559. How do you figure the latest and greatest from either of these companies would be any cheaper?

I thought the GTX 295 was top dog at the moment...I see others saying the GTX 285 is.

I would image the GTX 285 in SLI would be quicker than a single 5870 or GTX-380. Only a guess of course.

Both the GTX-295 and 4870X2 are Dual GPU's not a single card. Some games don't take advantage of these dual gpu's like you would think they should. Most MMO's don't use SLI or Crossfire, for WOW your better off with the single fastest card over a dual GPU.

So alot of gamers are more comfortable with the fastest single card on the market. For nVidia that is currently the GTX-285, and for AMD/ATI that is the 4890. Now these top end single cards sell well below $350.

Now will a GTX-285 in SLI still be faster than a single 5870 or GTX-380 ? We really don't know yet to be honest. I would think a single GTX-380 should be somewhat close in performance to a SLI GTX-285 setup, a single 5870 will most likely be slower than GTX-285 SLI, but I might be wrong come Sept 10 :cool: But a SLI GTX-285 setup will run you like $600-$700, a single 5870 should be $400 or less.

Common guys, this wasn't 2-3 years ago when the 8800s Ultra were priced 600.

The 4870 was supposed to be released at $329 but Nvidia stole AMD's thunder with faster cards, so it was released at $299 instead. Considering that ATI is first to market with their new gen, unless Nvidia does something unexpected, the 5870 will be the fastest game in town. So I don't expect low prices and I'm guessing the 5870 will debut at $349 unless Nvidia can make a countermove on/before Sept 10th.

I agree, thinking the 5870 single card will retail for like $349.00 at the most, at launch and will be the fastest single card on the market at the time no questions asked :D Just wait until Sept 10 :cool:

Last edited:

Personally i think nVidia is taking a lesson from ATI and holding back on their marketing campaign and letting the products speak for themselves. Of course this is very unNvidia like and is purely speculation.

Back