$30 A Month For Official Minecraft Goodies?

HardOCP News

[H] News
You would have to be a pretty big fan of Minecraft to pay $30 a month for a monthly box of Minecraft "goodness." Raise your hand if you'd spend $360 a year on this.

Well, we wanted to bring that same sense of discovery and creativity, but with cool monthly shipments of Minecraft gear, exclusive items, and neat DIY crafting recipes! Introducing the new and improved, Mine Chest! Now you can subscribe for a monthly box of Minecraft goodness, even some items that you can’t mine anywhere else. This brilliant chest travels around all different areas of the Minecraft world collecting wonderful things to be delivered straight to you!

I'd need to see what's in the first couple boxes but, I could see myself paying that for my son who's a big Minecraft fan.

$30/month is way too much. They should go with the $15/month the MMO world has used nearly forever.

I wouldn't pay anything for randomly curated merchandise regardless of what type it was. All you're going to get is junk to fill your house with. Half of which you probably won't even like. This entire concept is a fad that won't last long.

Isn't it suspicious that they don't show any contents from this "brilliant chest"?

Sure, $30 for random crap most people won't touch after day one and will go to the garbage or they will hoard it in their attic/basement. Such waste.

This game has been milked harder then ANY other game in the universe....

Reactions: xorbe
like this
And yet, it was predicted when Microsoft bought Minecraft that this would happen. Who's shocked? I'm not shocked.

And yet, it was predicted when Microsoft bought Minecraft that this would happen. Who's shocked? I'm not shocked.

and if there are people that are foolish (or just that much of a fan) enough to be separated from their money by purchasing this, more power to Microsoft. MS paid a lot of money for Minecraft, no one should be shocked by them attempting to profiting off of an investment - actually if you thought anything else you probably should take a finance or economics class at your local community college...

Loot Crate and others are making huge money right now. There are so many "crates" you can get from any focus (pets, Firefly, games, girl stuff, etc.). I got my son a 6 month sub to Loot Crate for his birthday last year. I renewed because of some of the cool stuff. I'm going to get him another year in March. He loves the stuff, and I get some of the cool stuff. We did fight over the Agents of SHIELD lanyard, though. Apparently, I wasn't approved on the case by case basis....

I may go for a one time charge for a Collector's Edition of a game but to get a box for $30 a month every month seems to be a bit excessive to me.

Loot Crate and others are making huge money right now. There are so many "crates" you can get from any focus (pets, Firefly, games, girl stuff, etc.). I got my son a 6 month sub to Loot Crate for his birthday last year. I renewed because of some of the cool stuff. I'm going to get him another year in March. He loves the stuff, and I get some of the cool stuff. We did fight over the Agents of SHIELD lanyard, though. Apparently, I wasn't approved on the case by case basis....

Yeah I have seen some nice things through those loot creates, and I could see one like this do well for people that like Minecraft items.

They already got the money back plus some

They have already made back 2.5b+ in profits just from Minecraft??? I'm gonna call BS on that claim or you are talking about all profits from all their products.

They have already made back 2.5b+ in profits just from Minecraft??? I'm gonna call BS on that claim or you are talking about all profits from all their products.

Are you looking at the game itself or everything related to the game and it's effects? Microsoft's projection was originally they would have made back all the money by end of 2015 based on everything due to having bought the rights. They had a almost $200 million increase in profits the quarter after purchasing the game from their game division. They have since released it on additional platforms. Now have a new tell-tale game based on the series which means money from that, there are all types of figures, games, Lego kits, toys, stuffed animals, clothes, bedding.... all licensed from the game. They had an increase in shares following the announcement which I want to say by itself brought them a good amount of money by itself. You are perhaps just looking at copies of the games sold and not everything else that comes along with the rights of Minecraft. I can personally account for $750 of what was spent on Minecraft games, add-ons or licensed merchandise.

So many people who didn't RTFA.

But no, I hate these loot crate type things.

So many people who didn't RTFA.

But no, I hate these loot crate type things.

To each their own. For the right audience they are great. I know people who sign up and get tons of stuff they love and think they have got their money's worth.

To each their own. For the right audience they are great. I know people who sign up and get tons of stuff they love and think they have got their money's worth.

I got lots of friends who like(d) them, they ended up becoming a novelty after a while, you start getting repeat items and the excitement wears off quickly with some.

I thought it was cool at first but after my second one I stopped caring lol :p

I got lots of friends who like(d) them, they ended up becoming a novelty after a while, you start getting repeat items and the excitement wears off quickly with some.

I thought it was cool at first but after my second one I stopped caring lol :p

If you stay signed up to the same one long enough I could see that. That is like saying you are going to eat T-Bone steaks every meal for the rest of your life. After about week 4 or 5 you will probably be craving something different and be getting a little tired of having just T-Bone every meal every day. But if you pick the right one(s) or switch up which ones that you get enough I could see you getting at least a few months or years of things that you would like. Yes the novelty might wear off some after X amount of time for different people, but doesn't seem to me like a reason to hate them and the fact that they exist. But again to each their own.

If you stay signed up to the same one long enough I could see that. That is like saying you are going to eat T-Bone steaks every meal for the rest of your life. After about week 4 or 5 you will probably be craving something different and be getting a little tired of having just T-Bone every meal every day. But if you pick the right one(s) or switch up which ones that you get enough I could see you getting at least a few months or years of things that you would like. Yes the novelty might wear off some after X amount of time for different people, but doesn't seem to me like a reason to hate them and the fact that they exist. But again to each their own.

I will never hate eating T-Bone every day :D

Considered it...but it's really closer to $40/mo because you've got $7 S&H and tax to take into account as well.

Back