3 x gtx 470's or 2 x gtx 480's......that is the question.

Savoy

2[H]4U
So I asked this question over on the evga forums and I'm curious as to responses here.

Now bear in mind I'm not totally sold one way or the other yet since we haven't seen real reviews yet but I digress; I'm not even sold as to whether or not I'm gonna pounce on any fermi cards or hang on to what I have for a while longer. All the rumors have me spinning. Like the supposed 512 core 480 due out soon after this launch or the dual gpu cards due out in a couple months or the supposed faster than usual jump from these cards to a refresh ala gtx 475/485 or 470 core 480 etc. There's talk about nvidia ditching this round after only a few shipments because of the shitty yields on this a3 silicon etc.

So ya all that said if I decide to pounce, and if newegg actually has more than a hanfull to sell, I was thinking about regular sli vs tri sli. Reason being is I've been pretty pleased with my 260 tri setup and the tri sli scaling has been suprisingly good. My thoughts were if a 480 is approx 10% faster than a 470 that makes a 470 the much better value and if $350 holds up makes 3 approx the same money as 2 480's. So I'm going to assume 3 470 will handily outperform 2 480's. Power requirements aren't that far from what I'm running now sooooooo.....that's what's leaning me toward tri sli.

Of course there's gonna be people who say scaling of 2 card sli is bad enough and adding a thirs card shows even less diminishing returns and to those people I say try it before you knock it. Its a lot better than you think with nvidias drivers over the last year or so.

Opinions....please.

Why not wait for reviews. Then you'll have data to go on instead of guesswork.

why not 3x gtx 480, sounds like it shouldn't be a problem for you. By the way you can't assume the conclusion if you are looking for opinions. It looks like you are already set on that 3 cards are better than 2, I honestly don't know what games 2 gtx 470's can't play that the 3 can play.

If your not dead set on nvidia you might want to look at ati. 2 5870 2 gigs will be faster than the 5970 , 3 would be even faster and 4 is possible.

You can also just get two 5970s for quad crossfire. $1200 for 4 cpus vs $1500 for 3 on nvidia's side.

Even without looking at reviews, the answer should be relatively straightforward. Tri-SLI has never been as reliable or as marginally better-performing as 2x SLI. With that in mind and the increased power requirements of 3 cards, I wouldn't even consider 3x 470s.... but that's just me :p

I thought you did? You did list what his different choices would cost. :D

I thought you did? You did list what his different choices would cost. :D

The 5970's msrp is $599

I'd actually just go with 3 5850s at the compusa sale with bing cash back. $250 each. You'd pay $750 and will be fastr than two gtx 480s and two 5870s most likely

The point is, who is selling 5970s @ MSRP?
Many would love to purchase them at that price.

The point is, who is selling 5970s @ MSRP?
Many would love to purchase them at that price.

WHo is selling gtx 480 ?

I'm just going with msrp's for both products. the gtx 480 can also be priced high due to demand and it could cost $600 itself.

Who knows.

I agree about the 480s selling above MSRP.
Many are hoping AMD magically lowers at least to MSRP on the 5000 series in response to nVidia's launch.

I appreciate the opinions and such and yes I have been happy with my tri sli scaling so far. It's been very good and in fact alot better than 2 card sli. Now not every game but alot of games it's noticeable. That said I'm going to wait for reviews and pricing availability before I make a decision. ATI isn't being ruled out because I dislike them but because I prefer nvidia for my videocards. Just how it is for alot of reasons. Doesn't mean ATi is bad they are not just my preference.

I appreciate the opinions and such and yes I have been happy with my tri sli scaling so far. It's been very good and in fact alot better than 2 card sli. Now not every game but alot of games it's noticeable. That said I'm going to wait for reviews and pricing availability before I make a decision. ATI isn't being ruled out because I dislike them but because I prefer nvidia for my videocards. Just how it is for alot of reasons. Doesn't mean ATi is bad they are not just my preference.

Was just pointing out other options .

If the 470/480 are close in performance to the 5850/70 you might be better off going with 3-4 of ati's verisons.

If the 480s are close to $600 due to demand a $700 5970 would most likely be the smarter choice. Two of them even better.

I wish you luck and I hope you don't cry when you get your first energy bill after setting it up and gaming on it.

Was just pointing out other options .

If the 470/480 are close in performance to the 5850/70 you might be better off going with 3-4 of ati's verisons.

If the 480s are close to $600 due to demand a $700 5970 would most likely be the smarter choice. Two of them even better.

I wish you luck and I hope you don't cry when you get your first energy bill after setting it up and gaming on it.

If the 470/480 are lackluster and not worth buying for any reason I will just probably pass and wait a few months for a refresh. If I was gonna go ati I would have picked up 2 or 3 5870's months ago since they are the ones I would have gone with. I've never been a fan of cutdown dual gpu card's from either camp.

If you're only playing at 1080p, dual 5850's are going to be your best bang-for-your-buck. Anything else is overkill for now and really a waste of money (odd circumstances aside).

If you're only playing at 1080p, dual 5850's are going to be your best bang-for-your-buck. Anything else is overkill for now and really a waste of money (odd circumstances aside).

Lol if all I needed was what I was after then I would just keep what I have. Which I may still do heh. Since they are still rocking everything for the most part. This is a want not a need but thanks for the input. :)

Lol if all I needed was what I was after then I would just keep what I have. Which I may still do heh. Since they are still rocking everything for the most part. This is a want not a need but thanks for the input. :)

You may have answered your own question...

If your purely going beyond what you need then why not just get 3x 480's and call it a day. Though if your budget only allows 2x 480 (like your title lists) I would get them and then add a third down the line.

I don't think Nvidia is going to have a refresh out anytime before 6 months pass by.

And though your obviously sticking with Nvidia, if you do end up waiting, I'm sure ATI will have a refresh out first that you can at least "check" out, it should give you a general idea of what performance gap / increase you may see out of Nvidia's refresh if they don't run into any manufacturing problems this time around.

Why not two 470s and a bigger monitor?

He is using a 37 inch monitor / TV... Unless your referencing a larger resolution, well some of us are satisfied with more physical real estate at the sacrifice of resolution.

Those 30 inchers at 2560x1600 certainly look great in person but I couldn't justify it as an upgrade, maybe he could but that's not the question he is asking. :p

Those 30 inchers at 2560x1600 certainly look great in person but I couldn't justify it as an upgrade, maybe he could but that's not the question he is asking. :p
Like comparing a to a :)

Like comparing a to a :)

I guess... The only reason I would get a 2560x1600 monitor is if I needed more real estate for multi-tasking. I am not a programmer though and the multi-tasking I do would work fine with a second monitor.

Plus I prefer Plasma over LCD so I don't have a choice either way. :p

Otherwise my 42 inch is more then I will need for a while. :D

So I asked this question over on the evga forums and I'm curious as to responses here.

Now bear in mind I'm not totally sold one way or the other yet since we haven't seen real reviews yet but I digress; I'm not even sold as to whether or not I'm gonna pounce on any fermi cards or hang on to what I have for a while longer. All the rumors have me spinning. Like the supposed 512 core 480 due out soon after this launch or the dual gpu cards due out in a couple months or the supposed faster than usual jump from these cards to a refresh ala gtx 475/485 or 470 core 480 etc. There's talk about nvidia ditching this round after only a few shipments because of the shitty yields on this a3 silicon etc.

So ya all that said if I decide to pounce, and if newegg actually has more than a hanfull to sell, I was thinking about regular sli vs tri sli. Reason being is I've been pretty pleased with my 260 tri setup and the tri sli scaling has been suprisingly good. My thoughts were if a 480 is approx 10% faster than a 470 that makes a 470 the much better value and if $350 holds up makes 3 approx the same money as 2 480's. So I'm going to assume 3 470 will handily outperform 2 480's. Power requirements aren't that far from what I'm running now sooooooo.....that's what's leaning me toward tri sli.

Of course there's gonna be people who say scaling of 2 card sli is bad enough and adding a thirs card shows even less diminishing returns and to those people I say try it before you knock it. Its a lot better than you think with nvidias drivers over the last year or so.

Opinions....please.

Here is my suggestion. If you are set on going with an nVidia solution due to the motherboard you have right now, get with a single 480GTX and no more at this moment. Don't go further than this until we hear the news on when the 512 core Fermis will hit the market, or until someone finds out whether the current upcoming 480GTX's will have cores that might be unlockable. Once this news comes out, then plan your move. Especially if supply remains tight for a while, you'll be able to sell the single 480GTX for decent cost on fleabay and make your move to create the ultimate gaming powerhouse.

If the 470/480 are lackluster and not worth buying for any reason I will just probably pass and wait a few months for a refresh. If I was gonna go ati I would have picked up 2 or 3 5870's months ago since they are the ones I would have gone with. I've never been a fan of cutdown dual gpu card's from either camp.

Your not going to see a real refresh until 32nm/28nm the fermi is a big chip and will most likely not increase to much in performance.

You also have to under stand at 250w for each 480 your looking at 750w TDP for those 3 cards. You can run 4 5870s for that same max TDP . You can run 4 5850s for 620w TDP.

The 4 5850s would set you back $1120 esp if you can get a dell deal. 3 480gtx will set you back $1500 .

What do you think the best bang for your buck is ?

Personaly if i were you , i'd wait for northern islands that is supposed to launch in q3 of this year. Its ati's new tech . Not a refreshed cypress but a whole new chip

Some good ideas here guys, thankyou. I'll have a better idea tonight on what I plan to do.

335eaa6e-b5b4-4158-859d-5c3df1bebad2.jpg

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=21651

hexus review is up

Conjecturing somewhat, GeForce GTX 480 is probably 75 per cent of the high-end GPU that was imagined by NVIDIA early last year. Our numbers show that NVIDIA's finest single-GPU card is, on average, around 20 per cent faster than AMD's Radeon HD 5870 1,024MB at a 2,560x1,600 resolution. GeForce GTX 480 is due to cost some 40 per cent more, so whilst the trade-off between extra expense and performance isn't ideal, it's not shockingly bad, either.

Their site got raped. It's been down for awhile yet. If it comes back up someone should probably rehost any images that may be up.

Depends on what you will be playing cause the Hexus review didn't amaze me. I guess if you like to play the Heaven benchmark on the extreme tesselation setting then the Fermi is da bestest.

In answer to the OPs question... the real question is 2x1200 watt PSUs or 3? :D

Back