3 x 3770 Deliddings (Complete)

Spartacus09

[H]ard|Gawd
Per my initial test delidding with my 2600k the next plan is to shuck the three 3770s and test the difference it makes.

Test equipment:
HP Elite 8300 SFF - Win 10 - 8Gb ram - 128Gb SSD
I will be inserting each CPU, installing the default cooler with generic dynex thermal paste, and testing/recording temps.
I'll repeat the same testing process after delidding.

3 different tests will be done using realtemp for temp measurement:
  • Idle (10 minutes with no load of the lowest temp of each core)
  • Full load using Intel burn test with fan locked on 100% (5 runs on very high, highest temp of each core)
  • Full load using Intel burn test with the fan on auto (5 runs on very high, highest temp of each core)
I will be installing the CPU cold to do the idle test, followed by full load with auto fan, then a restart to max the fan for the final test. All software has been disabled from starting and configuration will not be changed in between all 18 tests.

I went ahead and got a jump on this and started Monday, so I've established all the baselines below (all temps in Celsius).
The first delidded CPU has cured for almost 48 hours I'll be installing and testing it tonight after I delid and prep the last CPU.

One thing I did note, the TIM under CPU 2 & 3 was extremely dried (might explain the higher temps overall), I'll record a video of the procedure with the 3rd CPU shortly.

1Lfrn2hl.jpg

As promised here's the video of the entire process, now that I've got the procedure down it takes me less than 30 minutes to complete it, in glorious 1440p @ 60fps for ya:

Results are in for the first chip which had the best temps to begin with, even so pretty decent number drops.

0vmAK1Cl.jpg

Second chip testing done, this one had alot more variation, but it lined up to the pre-delidding numbers so I suspect it's just a lower binned chip or the sensor off slightly.

p1E4bAol.jpg

Final chip done, overall a solid temp reduction, and even more when a better cooler and non-crappy TIM is used but didn't want to waste good Arctic MX on it.

pylWmEZl.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Always nice to se real world examples.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Always nice to se real world examples.
Happy it was useful to ya, I'm debating doing it with my two 3770k's also, but I kinda want to sell those also and I don't want it to hurt the value.

Whats that tool you got there? I delidded mine by hand with a razor blade like I did in the Athlon 64 days. No spacers, no yadda - but this seems like a more consistent way.

Whats that tool you got there? I delidded mine by hand with a razor blade like I did in the Athlon 64 days. No spacers, no yadda - but this seems like a more consistent way.

Its the Rockit Cool 1155 tool, $40 for the delid tool, scraper, and alignment piece for re-attaching.
Theirs are custom fabricated for each socket (which is a bit annoying its not for the 115x sockets, but for how many I'm delidding I could justify it).
The delidder itself is very nice anodized metal solid tool overall, the alignment piece is machined plastic/acrylic/pvc, but for it's purpose isn't needed to be metal and it still doesn't feel flimsy.
They also sell custom all copper IHS replacements (but be-careful with liquid metal I think the mixing of copper with it could cause issues)

https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/products/rockit-88-lga-1155-delid-relid-kit

Back