3-Way SLI BF3 benchmarks using GTX 580 1.5GB

CSC Tiscali

Limp Gawd
I havn't seen any reviews on 3-way SLI performance and scaling for BF3, so I slapped some numbers from Fraps together to make a few charts. It will at least give us an idea on 3-way SLI scaling in BF3...I'm glad to see very good scaling results as of yet, albeit at 1920x1080.
bf3be.jpg

Finally some 2d surround goodness. 4xMSAA was unplayable due to most likely hitting the VRAM wall, where the menu/cursor instantly becomes sluggish, which carried over into gameplay as indicated in the unplayable framerates.
2dsn.jpg

I played on Caspian Border with 64 slots and the only setting I could find consistently smooth was 0xMSAA. I am a nitpick when it comes to framerates not dipping below 60fps, so I was pretty pleased with the peformance. IMO, the sequence benchmarked stresses the GPU's about 80% as much as a 64 player map with a lot of action going on. Nothing beats playing the actual game and getting a good feel for playable settings.

I used the same canned benchmark as tomshardware, using the same sequence as seen in the following video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAA-NJj0Z0k&feature=player_embedded
2-way SLI scaling numbers were consistent with Tom's.
Test setup in sig

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I'll be very interested in your 3 monitor tests. Right now i have 3 monitors 1920x1200 resolution, but only a single GTX580 3GB card. I'm really interested if i have a chance to run them at a decent frame rate.

I tried running my 3 monitors on Ultra with AA off. 30-40ish FPS avg but wasn't really playable :(

I tried running my 3 monitors on Ultra with AA off. 30-40ish FPS avg but wasn't really playable :(

Well, you're only using 570s if going by your sig. I haven't picked the game up yet but I wonder how my 580SLi build will run at 6144x1152? Tobad I don't have the 3gb versions. I think the VRAM is going to hold me back.

I can't imagine the heat of a tri-sli setup. :eek:

I'm curious how your 4xMSAA surround results would have come out with 3gb cards, if it would've maintained the trend and kept above 50 fps average (although borderline unplayable dips). Still, thats pretty nice performance scaling.

eh, I think once you add the 3rd 580 you're getting to the realm of watercooling. Granted, when your budget on graphics is retail upwards of ~1500, watercooling isn't as cost prohibitive, relatively speaking.

how much will an i7 970 at stock speeds bottleneck 3 GTX 580's at that resolution? Will Overclocking it to 4 ghz be enough?

It's been discovered that the game is not as CPU dependent as what a lot of people expected. CPU scaling charts show no difference between quad core processors, with negligble differences for dual cores. Overclocking to 4ghz should not make a difference. In the end, your results will be similar to mine

Well, you're only using 570s if going by your sig. I haven't picked the game up yet but I wonder how my 580SLi build will run at 6144x1152? Tobad I don't have the 3gb versions. I think the VRAM is going to hold me back.

yea, just giving an idea of what to expect. Plus my 570s are overclocked to a level comparable to a stock 580 (except for the vram of course). I don't think surround is viable until 580 3gb SLi minimum.

Thanks for posting this. I'll be very interested in your 3 monitor tests. Right now i have 3 monitors 1920x1200 resolution, but only a single GTX580 3GB card. I'm really interested if i have a chance to run them at a decent frame rate.

I'm running 5970x1200 on 2 x 3GB Palit 580s and it's quite playable for me. I use the following settings and I get 50-60fps. The game uses a lot of VRAM at high resolutions and 1.5GB cards won't cut it. My VRAM ranges from 2GB - 2.5GB.

bf32011102619275752.jpg

I'm running 5970x1200 on 2 x 3GB Palit 580s and it's quite playable for me. I use the following settings and I get 50-60fps. The game uses a lot of VRAM at high resolutions and 1.5GB cards won't cut it. My VRAM ranges from 2GB - 2.5GB.

bf32011102619275752.jpg

Do you mind providing some fraps numbers for the sequence benchmarked by tomshardware (and mine a few posts up) here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAA-N...layer_embedded
I'm interested to know the numbers because the FPS varies greatly in this game. At least we can compare numbers off the same canned benchmark.

Glad I saw this thread!

I got a Dell U2711 last week and I found that I needed a little bit more GPU power to max this game's Multiplayer at 2560x1440 in Ultra (Except Motion Blur and MSAA).

What performance % gain should I expect from 2 GTX580's to 3 GTX580's in Battlefield 3 at 1440p?

Should I expect a minimum of +60fps in all Multiplayer maps? I'm almost there with 2 cards OC'd at 850MHz so I'm sure 3 at stock should do it, right?

Kepler's unified memory architecture should bring insane sli scaling and maybe without micro studdering.

lets hope.

I upgraded from gtx580 1.5 sli as when I using three monitor with ultra setting with as 2x
It went down to single digit GPS cause of the gram

So up my system to 7970 crossfire and I Can pretty much get min 60 in. 64 people server
5228*1050
Vram is important bf3 can use 2.5 gb at my setting

Back